Standby drain

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
When you sleep, does your phone sleep, or does it stay up all night and crunch 1s and 0s? Rate this thread to express how you deem the speed at which the LG G5's battery drains under standby conditions. A higher rating indicates that when the phone is not in use, the battery drains minimally.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: royer smith

jreed3786

Sep 28, 2008
Rockford, IL
Standby drain...PHENOMENAL!!!

Sometimes, over the course of an hr, it won't even lose a percent! Amazing, even compared to the Note 3, which was awesome battery-wise!

hyperxi

Jan 19, 2011
Sometimes, over the course of an hr, it won't even lose a percent! Amazing, even compared to the Note 3, which was awesome battery-wise!
my H860's standby drain is abysmal.. It drops 15+% overnight (about 6-7hrs). How are you getting such a good standby time? I disabled Facebook (which was installed as a system app for some reason) but even then the best I got was 9% overnight..

Reactions: djsbad

djsbad

May 9, 2012
Same problem here. Battery drain while phone is idle is absolutely horrid. Can't for the life of me figure it out. Under settings in battery usage, the only 2 things I show with significant battery drain is screen on and phone idle.

SPBoss

Apr 30, 2012
Bad signal (1 bar or less) can severely affect idle battery drain. The always on display does take some battery. Try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.

djsbad

May 9, 2012
Yeah where we live is great signaland one of the first things I did was turn off the always on feature. I still have the drain.

jreed3786

Sep 28, 2008
Rockford, IL
my H860's standby drain is abysmal.. It drops 15+% overnight (about 6-7hrs). How are you getting such a good standby time? I disabled Facebook (which was installed as a system app for some reason) but even then the best I got was 9% overnight..

No idea!!! I'll keep an eye on drain again...but I gotta say, I found it to be great! I'm almost always on Wifi, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

SystemErrorOne

Jun 7, 2011
Jacksonville
I too have the worst battery life I've ever had on a brand new device. I don't know what else to do but sell the phone.

Last edited:

shamm1987

Mar 3, 2014
Frankfort
Enhanced LTE

I sure wish we could figure this out
Was doing some digging on this exact issue. I was getting a ridiculous battery drain from phone idle, which I didn't have for the first week of owning the phone. For the life of me I could not figure out what I changed, but I think I may have found a solution. I have the AT&T H820 and it turns out other devices of the AT&T variant (galaxy s6) had terrible battery drain with Enhanced LTE selected. I have just disabled it and will report back in a day or two to report the results.

Reactions: djsbad

djsbad

May 9, 2012
Was doing some digging on this exact issue. I was getting a ridiculous battery drain from phone idle, which I didn't have for the first week of owning the phone. For the life of me I could not figure out what I changed, but I think I may have found a solution. I have the AT&T H820 and it turns out other devices of the AT&T variant (galaxy s6) had terrible battery drain with Enhanced LTE selected. I have just disabled it and will report back in a day or two to report the results.
Thank you for the feedback on this. I have the Verizon edition and I've been looking for that specific setting since you mentioned it. I don't see it in my menu. I'd imagine you went to the mobile data menu under some and it was in the somewhere?

vanshaj

Nov 29, 2007
I have TMobile varient. Yesterday, I tried selecting 'Restrict background data' option (Settings > Mobile Data > Top right menu and select 'restrict background data' checkbox). So far its been better than yesterday.

turbodroid

Feb 15, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I use Shutapp to end running apps and turn the phone over so the light sensor is covered and the always on display shuts off. Battery seems on par with my G3 which is the same size battery.

TheJesus

Nov 12, 2010
High Point, NC
I have no stand by drain on my AT&T version. I have aod off and this is on my nightstand. So Wi-Fi enabled. Location and Bluetooth off. I charge to 100% then restart the phone and then unplug for the rest of the night. I will wake up anywhere from 6 to 10 hours later. Weekdays and weekends vary. But I will always wake up at either 99% or 100% my stand by works flawlessly. Just my process.

Reactions: barondebxl

tejasm1

Apr 12, 2015
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Inconsistent but normally good

In the second and third days that I had this phone it seemed to lose 1 % per hour which I feel is pretty good considering I had always listening for "ok google" and the fingerprint scanner on. I have no sim in the device yet. The first night it went from 80 to 2% on standby though that could have been just because it was the first night. I don't have always on display on.

bklm1234

Jul 13, 2010
I have an international version (H860) on AT&T network for about a week now. AOD is off, Wi-Fi is on, GPS is on Battery Saving mode. Every night, the drain is about 20%. Battery usage shows Android OS and Phone Idle being the top 2 uses. I reset the phone once already. The phone is set up the same as my G4, same set of apps. The G4 has only about 1% drain overnight. Can this be a defective unit?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THAT’S ABSOLUTELY WRONG!
    YOU CAN USE IT WITHOUT ROOT & WITHOUT UNLOCKED BOOTBLOCK!

as i wrote, please use adb command as described below! (see here too!)

1.) be sure to have usb-debugging allowed at phone/developer setup
    2.) connect your phone to your pc
    3.) If not exist, install "LG G5 usb driver" to your pc
    4.) if not exist, install "mini adb" to your pc
    5.) open cmd shell window ( execute command "cmd")
    6.) execute command "adb devices" in CMD window
    7.) if everything goes right, you should see your device now
    8.) be sure, that "betterbatterystats.apk" from xda is installed
    9.) type in following command:
    "adb -d shell pm grant com.asksven.betterbatterystats_xdaedition android.permission.BATTERY_STATS"
    like described here

If everything is ok, you have grant the permission to get stats now.

attention:
    * enter all commands without "":cool:
    * all needed drivers and tools are linked!
    Bad signal (1 bar or less) can severely affect idle battery drain. The always on display does take some battery. Try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.
    What APK do you recommend to observe and track that ? I'd like to make some long tests (over a week) and compare different settings, launcher etc.

BetterBatteryStats with adb command to get better stats!

* takes less power
    * open source
    * free xda edition
    * best support (here in forum!)
    * best results incl. wakelock monitoring
    I have seen, that one of the biggest battery sucker apk's is the "google" app. 16% over all.
    Also the wifi functionality is used by system all the time!!! Don’t know why because i have switched wifi and background scanning to off.
    Can’t get battery consumption lower than 0.6%/h!

Edit:

Have installed two interesting apps now to try them!

1.) hybernator (task killer)
    2.) Naptime (immediately doze mode)

First results seems to be very interesting!