The Talk : GPS and FM Radio

Will you post on ZenTalk about this matter ?

• Yes

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Naah, we can't get this code

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I'm Busy

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

adnaanbheda

Jun 8, 2014
Let's agree, GPS and FM Radio fixing is out of our reach right now. No one has been able to fix it and chances are no one will in the distant future. We need private code of GPS and FM Radio from ASUS and Broadcom to fix this and no one here is an expert in Reverse Engineering, So, I think it's safe to say, we can't fix this on our own.
We have a very stable CM13 for our device that very few other devices have. Heck, OnePlus X got its first official nightly a few days ago. And I think we will get Android N in the future by our developers (I hope ).
Zenfone 5 is a great device, even after 2 years, I can imagine having it for another 2 years or more but I want the next 2 years bug free and stable and I think everyone wants this.
Our primary concern should be about getting this GPS and FM Radio code because we have everything in our reach other than this. GPS and FM Radio are what we need, not different cyanogenmod-based ROMs every day.
Both the companies have rights of their own to decide whether they want to share it or not but why shouldn't we try in our own means ?
We can post daily on ZenTalk once requesting the code or just sit here enjoying our bugged ROMs.
We, as a mass, can do this. We just have to be persistent about the matter and not lose interest, Enough resistance and load on ZenTalk server and we can make an impact on them, just an impact. We just need to make sure they know we want this.
I tried to contact few of the prominent developers here but they weren't willing and I understand why, this is a lost cause if there isn't enough participation from the community. So,
I hope everyone has an opinion about this matter. We can achieve this and we will.

Sign this petition to support the cause

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/release-gps-and-fm-radios-private-code-of-asus

Last edited:

vgpranav

Dec 16, 2013
Mumbai
www.campuskeeda.com
Agree To You

This guy has raised a valid point. We have so many awesome ROMs coming up but only issue is GPS and FM. We should find out means to fix this and get out ROMs full usable.

As far as ASUS developers are concerned, they have not been able to provide us even a lollipop OTA with Battery Drain Fixed so i dont expect any help from them. They are busy making newer devices and ignoring ZF5 users who took the risk of buying an ASUS device when ASUS was a new player in the smartphone market.

Either our XDA developers have to find out something else we should flood ZenTalk to get their attention this !!!!!

XDA Developers please dont provide us too many customizations with multiple versions of the same ROM but please please try to fix GPS bug

adnaanbheda

Jun 8, 2014
Exactly. We need awareness, @vgpranav, you should share this in zenfone groups. Not only you, Everyone who's reading should do this. It's not about just posting on ZenTalk, it's about raising total awareness about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saamyo

ChristopherXI

Mar 10, 2015
Ha Noi
Nah. Asus is IGNORING the first generation of the zenfones since the zenfone 2 comes out with the other vesions.
Soo i think we unload our anger on Zen talk would not make a difference.
Just waisting our time..... even tho I travel a alot and i need GPS but i think ASUS just gonna point the middle finger to us then ignore our existance.......

vgpranav

Dec 16, 2013
Mumbai
www.campuskeeda.com
Nah. Asus is IGNORING the first generation of the zenfones since the zenfone 2 comes out with the other vesions.
Soo i think we unload our anger on Zen talk would not make a difference.
Just waisting our time..... even tho I travel a alot and i need GPS but i think ASUS just gonna point the middle finger to us then ignore our existance.......

So how you manage with RR ROM???

leonardohenrique10

Dec 13, 2015
Belo Horizonte
I think we'll never get this private code...
What @ChristopherXI said is true, ASUS is ignoring the first generation Zenfones since the release of the Zenfone 2, proof of this is that even a good and optimized Lollipop ROM didn't come to Zenfone 5, even a OTA update for Lollipop...
ASUS disappointed me so much doing this...

LuanHalaiko

Jul 12, 2015
Lapa
xdaforums.com
It dosen't matter if asus will going to ignore us, we need to TRY, look how far we are now! remember the old days when we din't even have a forum section for our zenfone 5! and now we even have resurrection remix 5.6.7!! becouse the developers put a lot of effort for making this, and this time is for US to make an effort to them, we can do this guys!

ChristopherXI

Mar 10, 2015
Ha Noi
It dosen't matter if asus will going to ignore us, we need to TRY, look how far we are now! remember the old days when we din't even have a forum section for our zenfone 5! and now we even have resurrection remix 5.6.7!! becouse the developers put a lot of effort for making this, and this time is for US to make an effort to them, we can do this guys!

I'm still waiting for the guy that claimed that he FIXED the GPS. Along with his Xperia rom......

guidoido004

Feb 1, 2011
São Paulo
twitter.com
FM Radio is a secondary/optional thing, as most people dont use it(have offline music or services like spotify instead), but GPS is a must, the question is how to find the proper sources, if any device has a similar hardware, it could be backported, on Motorola Atrix's time, a group built a 3.10.x kernel from scratch(literally) as 2.6.32 was totally obsolete for android 4.x(motorola's drivers just didnt work), the same can be done on the zenfone, if only people find a similar hardware with open source code and time(plus lots of testers reporting issues properly/logcats).
Complain about it wont fix it, finding a workaround will.

tank0412

May 24, 2014
Saint Petersburg
OMG.
Source code of driver for our GPS chip was published on Github.
The problem is this source code is for device with arm processor. (our device has a x86 processor)
The other way to use a reverse engineering. It have been done too. But it does not work.

It is very hard to fix it because Bluetooth.apk, bluetooth.default.so and gpsd has many dependencies.

Edorewiel

Jan 2, 2016
Istanbul
OMG.
Source code of driver for our GPS chip was published on Github.
The problem is this source code is for device with arm processor. (our device has a x86 processor)
The other way to use a reverse engineering. It have been done too. But it does not work.

It is very hard to fix it because Bluetooth.apk, bluetooth.default.so and gpsd has many dependencies.

Publish ?

ozank

Apr 19, 2016
Actually if you gonna do it, include fastboot and Intel firmware files in your request (for freeze :laugh: )

adnaanbheda

Jun 8, 2014
This is what I'm talking about. Apparently, people just want more ROMs otherwise this post would've gotten more attention. @tank0412 Link for the published code ?

adnaanbheda

Jun 8, 2014
What you think, can we send the same message, just change our name, and put the link of this thread... Toguether we can!!! :good:

YES ! Same Title " RELEASE GPS AND FM RADIO PRIVATE CODE " with different/same message. I did make a post but it was ignored.
My thread had the message
"Please release Zenfone 5's source code, So that we can enjoy stable GPS-FM Radio enabled Custom ROMs. If you're not going to provide updates, let the dev community do it. We don't want your updates now, just release the source code. We need the private code of GPS and FM Radio of ASUS and Broadcom to make these functions work on custom ROMs.
I love my Zenfone 5, but it's been an absolute disappointment to see other devices get stable custom ROMs and watching my device still running on stock. This device has potential even after 2 years and I think it'll run for another two for me if you release the code.

Thanks."

Everyone can use this as a reference in their thread for posting ! Let's go !

Last edited:
Reactions: T/-_j@$ and ambrico

vgpranav

Dec 16, 2013
Mumbai
www.campuskeeda.com
Guys lets get them

So lets flood them with our requests so that they cant ignore us anymore

1) Visit Zentalk forum (http://www.asus.com/zentalk/in/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=107)

2) Create Thread with title "RELEASE GPS AND FM RADIO PRIVATE CODE"

3) Content

"Please release Zenfone 5's source code, So that we can enjoy stable GPS-FM Radio enabled Custom ROMs. If you're not going to provide updates, let the dev community do it. We don't want your updates now, just release the source code. We need the source code that is injected under Bluetooth app and Framework to make GPS, FM Radio work.
I love my Zenfone 5, but it's been an absolute disappointment to see other devices get stable custom ROMs and watching my device still running on stock. This device has potential even after 2 years and I think it'll run for another two for me if you release the code.

Thanks
"

WE NEED MORE SUPPORT SO THAT WE CAN CAUSE AN IMPACT. LETS DO IT GUYS !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's agree, GPS and FM Radio fixing is out of our reach right now. No one has been able to fix it and chances are no one will in the distant future. We need private code of GPS and FM Radio from ASUS and Broadcom to fix this and no one here is an expert in Reverse Engineering, So, I think it's safe to say, we can't fix this on our own.
    We have a very stable CM13 for our device that very few other devices have. Heck, OnePlus X got its first official nightly a few days ago. And I think we will get Android N in the future by our developers (I hope ).
    Zenfone 5 is a great device, even after 2 years, I can imagine having it for another 2 years or more but I want the next 2 years bug free and stable and I think everyone wants this.
    Our primary concern should be about getting this GPS and FM Radio code because we have everything in our reach other than this. GPS and FM Radio are what we need, not different cyanogenmod-based ROMs every day.
    Both the companies have rights of their own to decide whether they want to share it or not but why shouldn't we try in our own means ?
    We can post daily on ZenTalk once requesting the code or just sit here enjoying our bugged ROMs.
    We, as a mass, can do this. We just have to be persistent about the matter and not lose interest, Enough resistance and load on ZenTalk server and we can make an impact on them, just an impact. We just need to make sure they know we want this.
    I tried to contact few of the prominent developers here but they weren't willing and I understand why, this is a lost cause if there isn't enough participation from the community. So,
    I hope everyone has an opinion about this matter. We can achieve this and we will.

Sign this petition to support the cause

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/release-gps-and-fm-radios-private-code-of-asus
    Guys lets get them

So lets flood them with our requests so that they cant ignore us anymore

1) Visit Zentalk forum (http://www.asus.com/zentalk/in/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=107)

2) Create Thread with title "RELEASE GPS AND FM RADIO PRIVATE CODE"

3) Content

"Please release Zenfone 5's source code, So that we can enjoy stable GPS-FM Radio enabled Custom ROMs. If you're not going to provide updates, let the dev community do it. We don't want your updates now, just release the source code. We need the source code that is injected under Bluetooth app and Framework to make GPS, FM Radio work.

Thanks
    "

WE NEED MORE SUPPORT SO THAT WE CAN CAUSE AN IMPACT. LETS DO IT GUYS !!!!!!!!!!
    Agree To You

This guy has raised a valid point. We have so many awesome ROMs coming up but only issue is GPS and FM. We should find out means to fix this and get out ROMs full usable.

As far as ASUS developers are concerned, they have not been able to provide us even a lollipop OTA with Battery Drain Fixed so i dont expect any help from them. They are busy making newer devices and ignoring ZF5 users who took the risk of buying an ASUS device when ASUS was a new player in the smartphone market.

Either our XDA developers have to find out something else we should flood ZenTalk to get their attention this !!!!!

XDA Developers please dont provide us too many customizations with multiple versions of the same ROM but please please try to fix GPS bug
    FM Radio is a secondary/optional thing, as most people dont use it(have offline music or services like spotify instead), but GPS is a must, the question is how to find the proper sources, if any device has a similar hardware, it could be backported, on Motorola Atrix's time, a group built a 3.10.x kernel from scratch(literally) as 2.6.32 was totally obsolete for android 4.x(motorola's drivers just didnt work), the same can be done on the zenfone, if only people find a similar hardware with open source code and time(plus lots of testers reporting issues properly/logcats).
    Complain about it wont fix it, finding a workaround will.