Overall love

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the LG G5, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the LG G5 is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

eep1

May 26, 2007
McAllen
Not sure why you can't use it without root, I am. And my battery last all day with 4G.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Reactions: roc342

LightJak

Dec 3, 2015
Boston
Absolutely love this phone, and yes, I do sleep next to it :p. Everyone will have their own opinions, mine personally is this is a great phone. Love the camera, battery time is great (although having 2 batteries help), and finally a usable phone outdoors without having to really focus on the screen(very bright screen is what I mean). I would really love to have root, but I have patience, this nonsense of "no root no phone" kind of irks me but when you're spoiled you're spoiled.

futures

Sep 8, 2009
Toronto
LG G5 more hits than misses

Upgraded a number of family phones to the LG G5. I'm a bit old school and prefer simple flip phones. We would probably still be using Samsung Rugby flip phones if they worked with our carrier.

If you're in the market for a high end phone that's more than shiny, with lots of usable practical features and actually includes the latest available technology, consider the LG G5. We think it definitely has more hits than misses.

1. The 3 Cameras, make the phone one of the best camera substitute
2. Modern CPU (Qualcomm 820, currently top of the line) helps performance, battery efficiency, spectrum / wireless performance.
3. 4GB RAM useful for multitasking and running large demanding software
4. 32GB internal built in storage
5. Expandable storage with Micro SD (sorry Apple)
6. Miracast, industry standard screen sharing
7. IR Blaster
8. USB-C, the modern USB port the industry actually agrees and moving towards
(including devices from Apple, Google, Microsoft, LG, etc).
9. User removable / replaceable battery
10. Modular, and easy repair-ability
11. FM capable - enabled depending on carrier
12. A major phone brand / model thus more available accessories
13. Price point - best value for high end / flagship phone

Cons - what's missing that other devices may offer
1. Water / Dust proof - a nicety, and can be added to the LG G5 via certain cases.
2. Premium Metal / Glass feel - subjective. The LG G5 is all aluminum but covered in a primer paint. Besides, most folks I know use a phone case.

We have a number of mobile lines / phones within our family. Our last few phones have been Samsung, from Samsung flip phones to Android devices Galaxy T989D/S2X, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4. When we were up for replacements, we going to go with Samsung Galaxy Note 4, but it was no longer available, replaced by the Note 5. The Note 5 was more expensive than the Note 4. It was hard to justify paying more for a successor that included less than its predecessor - no Micro SD, no IR, no removable battery. Note 5 excluded usable practical features for a shiny exterior, and wasn't even water proof. We heard new phones were coming March / April 2016 so we waited and eventually decided on the LG G5. We believe it to be the best value, and offered the opportunity to award a vendor trying to innovate.

Ultimately it's just a phone, but at least it has the more important convergence features covered, mainly solid phone features, and solid camera.

** Unrelated, but its thanks to XDA community and other enthusiasts who help keep golden oldies such as the T989/S2X and Note 2 phones kicking. There's several Marshmallow ports for T989 and Note 2 :)

Last edited:

cpthornman

Dec 13, 2014
Google Pixel 4a
Absolutely love this phone, and yes, I do sleep next to it :p. Everyone will have their own opinions, mine personally is this is a great phone. Love the camera, battery time is great (although having 2 batteries help), and finally a usable phone outdoors without having to really focus on the screen(very bright screen is what I mean). I would really love to have root, but I have patience, this nonsense of "no root no phone" kind of irks me but when you're spoiled you're spoiled.

Got a G5 (on AT&T) yesterday as a gift from my work and am coming from a Moto G with custom ROM's galore. The only thing I really miss is forward and back arrows in the nav bar for typing and Chrome Pie. Why pie controls aren't native to Chrome and requires root access is absolutely stupid.
Every other root function I used on my Moto G was to make up for the limitations of the device. No need now. Holy crap this thing is fast as hell and thanks to doze, standby is crazy. The SD 820 is an absolute beast of an SOC. And this is only my first full day on it. Going on a hike later today and can't wait to use the camera on this thing. So far I am very impressed with this phone.

Pphish20

Aug 27, 2015
Boulder
Just received my EU h850 in the mail on Wed, already unlocked and rooted. No build quality issues at all.
Don't know why some are having battery issues. I easily get 24hrs of use with 5+hrs sot
That's with gaming,youtube, browsing,and Bluetooth
The screen uses much less battery than my Sprint g3...and even with custom everything on my g3 this phone performs sooo much better in everyway.
I think carrier branded g5 have a lot of bloat killing battery
Haven't heard a bad thing about unbranded h850 yet

adamelphick

Feb 1, 2006
London
Huawei P20 Pro
Huawei P30 Pro
Got mine from O2 in the UK and love my G5... O2 have put no bloatware on it at all and it therefore has good battery life. I have a G4 and the G5 flies compares to it (I loved the G4 too even though it had it's issues!). The only negative point is that getting a good tempered glass screen protector is going to be a nightmare as the screen is clearly quite flexible (hence the corner buckles etc) and so getting one to fit perfectly is going to be a challenge. Having said that, this is a very new phone, and all new3 models have odd issues (software/hardware), so if it becomes a problem then I'll RMA it to O2 or LG and get it swapped.

Reactions: depredador007

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Got mine from O2 in the UK and love my G5... O2 have put no bloatware on it at all and it therefore has good battery life. .

Same here and agreed... awesome standby time as well... My only issue with it is, I wish the screen and always on display were brighter outside and the overall volume was a bit louder, especially when using your own ringtones, like my G4. When I set up mine.. I didnt bother with the App drawer update, to me.. it was a new phone, new UI so I went for a bit of a change instead of copying my old G4 setup... made me feel like Ide actually bought a new phone.. and im finding it much simpler and enjoyable to use.

I find the UX5 much slicker and faster to use, more responsive and I can fly through tasks, OneNote and OneDrive.. Very Happy with my G5, also the 0.2" screen reduction makes no difference after a day or so

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
For the ATT G5 is there a way to save pictures/files/videos directly to the memory card or does that require root?

galr

Jun 18, 2014
Love it. I'm not crazy about the design but a 2.5$ case makes it look badass.
Camera is outstanding, battery life is good (30 hours with 4 hours SOT , brightness is set to Auto, BT and NFC off).
The phone works fast and doesn't overheat.
I'm happy

ATOJAR

Aug 14, 2010
Middlesbrough
Loving my G5 had it a few months now, bought the Spigen Rugged Armor case really nice, snug fit. Great camera, battery life & blazing fast, great screen, fingerprint scanner works amazing its really responsive, i was pretty surprised actually at how well the fingerprint scanner works .... Don't care for root to be honest, only thing i really liked about being able to root my old G2 was having AdAway installed. USB-Type-C is a god send especially in dim light.

Last edited:

midgarsfinest

Jun 1, 2016
Lakeland
Camera FTW

I also love the camera and settings provided on the LG G5. My only disappointment might be the capture time when using HDR mode. Aside from this, the video and picture quality is worthy of this benchmark phone, and the wide angle option adds a new enthusiasm for taking your phone with you on the scenic route.

XeroemoXmageX

Dec 29, 2013
Cape Town
From South Africa here. I have the H850 G5 as well, and no bloatware whatsoever. Battery lasts me a full day under moderate to heavy use (That does not include the camera). The auto-brightness is on point (but gets a little too low in a dark room to make watching videos or gaming comfortable). Battery charges fully in 28min from 1% whilst turned on. It's blazing fast. I have games in the background that I get back to hours later, and the memory never fails. Best phone I've ever owned.

lethalfriend

Jun 6, 2008
Lahore
Xiaomi Poco F3
I like almost everything about this phone minus the flimsy quality of the lcd quoting/Glass as its getting scratched very very easily, same is the case with back camera glass/visor.

Unfortunately, i wasn't using any screen protector earlier and i'd tried to clean the screen with a very soft microfiber cloth but to my surprise even that cloth had left some tiny hairline scratches. I couldn't believe my eyes at first but this was the fact sadly :(

I am not sure now if i can get rid of these scratches as i really love neat and clean phones.

Sent from my LG-H850 using XDA-Developers mobile app

jdougs

Dec 23, 2009
Central Indiana
I upgraded from an S3 that had been in service since it's release and had never failed me. It just became a bit dated and the battery was due for replacement. I caught the G5 for $1 at Best Buy so I said what the hell. My first unit didn't last 12 hours before dying. However the replacement is on it's 4th charge/discharge cycle and is seamless. I hope that the first unit was just a fluke because this thing hums. I hadn't even tested any other phones since owning the S3 so the speed and fluidity of the G5 blows me away. I cannot wait for rooting capability to customize it even though the factory setup isn't bad and not as restrictive as others I have dealt with in the past. I am giving it 3 stars for now due to the DOA unit I first received though.

JD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I hate this phone. Mine couldn't survive a 12" drop onto a parking lot without severely shattering the display.

Maybe it committed suicide as it no longer loved you.

You should have tried relationship counselling, but now it is too late.
    LG G5 more hits than misses

Upgraded a number of family phones to the LG G5. I'm a bit old school and prefer simple flip phones. We would probably still be using Samsung Rugby flip phones if they worked with our carrier.

If you're in the market for a high end phone that's more than shiny, with lots of usable practical features and actually includes the latest available technology, consider the LG G5. We think it definitely has more hits than misses.

1. The 3 Cameras, make the phone one of the best camera substitute
    2. Modern CPU (Qualcomm 820, currently top of the line) helps performance, battery efficiency, spectrum / wireless performance.
    3. 4GB RAM useful for multitasking and running large demanding software
    4. 32GB internal built in storage
    5. Expandable storage with Micro SD (sorry Apple)
    6. Miracast, industry standard screen sharing
    7. IR Blaster
    8. USB-C, the modern USB port the industry actually agrees and moving towards
    (including devices from Apple, Google, Microsoft, LG, etc).
    9. User removable / replaceable battery
    10. Modular, and easy repair-ability
    11. FM capable - enabled depending on carrier
    12. A major phone brand / model thus more available accessories
    13. Price point - best value for high end / flagship phone

Cons - what's missing that other devices may offer
    1. Water / Dust proof - a nicety, and can be added to the LG G5 via certain cases.
    2. Premium Metal / Glass feel - subjective. The LG G5 is all aluminum but covered in a primer paint. Besides, most folks I know use a phone case.

We have a number of mobile lines / phones within our family. Our last few phones have been Samsung, from Samsung flip phones to Android devices Galaxy T989D/S2X, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4. When we were up for replacements, we going to go with Samsung Galaxy Note 4, but it was no longer available, replaced by the Note 5. The Note 5 was more expensive than the Note 4. It was hard to justify paying more for a successor that included less than its predecessor - no Micro SD, no IR, no removable battery. Note 5 excluded usable practical features for a shiny exterior, and wasn't even water proof. We heard new phones were coming March / April 2016 so we waited and eventually decided on the LG G5. We believe it to be the best value, and offered the opportunity to award a vendor trying to innovate.

Ultimately it's just a phone, but at least it has the more important convergence features covered, mainly solid phone features, and solid camera.

** Unrelated, but its thanks to XDA community and other enthusiasts who help keep golden oldies such as the T989/S2X and Note 2 phones kicking. There's several Marshmallow ports for T989 and Note 2 :)
    Get yourself a G5 and you'll never regret it.

I really really love my G5!!!. Great standy time. I have a nexus 6 running android 7.0 with optimizations to save battery but G5 flawlessly beat it. 820 really is a very battery efficient processor. I just wish that root will come soon for the H860N model. When it comes to camera, HANDS DOWN!! G5 is the best. I love how you have complete controls over the photo you're taking using manual mode. For me, the manual controls in LG phones are still the best. I've attached some of the photos I took with my G5. ^_^
    Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the LG G5, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the LG G5 is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    Not gonna lie, I regret my purchase. I really thought after the disaster the G4 was (missed taps, anyone?), that LG would smarten up and would have better quality control. Nope.

Right off the bat, the G5 has horrible lag unlocking if you just locked it within the last 5 seconds or so- it can take 15-30 seconds to unlock at times, sometimes freezing at your lock screen before going in. Luckily, this was fixed in an update I received in the past week. All 3 G5s i have gone through disconnect bluetooth within 2 songs playing, at least when I leave the phone unattended with the screen off. It either starts playing out the phone, or pauses the music. The bluetooth icon is still on in the notification pulldown.

Hardware issues:
    - Chin gap in 1 unit, and misaligned chin on 2 units
    - GPS hardware defect (well known by Verizon, anyway). Got a refurb that fixed it, and now it's 2 weeks in, and it's becoming poor again. I'm willing to bet it's from swapping out batteries. LG doesn't fix the cause of the issue- just quickly bends the pins back and sends it back to you.
    - Dust inside. There is no way that me quickly swapping out a battery in my hand without putting it down should be collecting this much crap.
    - Maybe the bluetooth issue mentioned above.

I really wanted to love this phone. Other than those issues, I do enjoy how it operates, but it's just insane to me that LG lets this stuff slide when they're already not that popular in terms of smartphones. They're just further hurting themselves by cranking out these phones, rather than focusing on quality.

I think it's fair to say that most of these software and firmware issues reside with the US carrier variants; I think it's only logical to assume it has something to do with any and all carrier bloat.

The most common problems, which everybody knows about by now, are not widely reported by many non-US variants, carrier or otherwise. Blame LG for build quality issues... Blame your carrier for misusing the stock firmware, locking your bootloader, bad battery life, or lag.

I ordered mine from the UK and have had ZERO of the issues others report on.