GoodBye Nexus, you were overhyped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

scothern99

Aug 15, 2011
So my Nexus 6 is gone. My new HTC 10 arrives today. My experiences with this thing for the last 2 years....

- Gets WAY hot. Always has. This is a replacement as the first one died immediately.
- Headphone jack is USELESS.... Phone worked great for a few months. Just long enough to have to deal with hoops to get it warranty replaced. Now the headphone jack is nothing but a swirling mess of feedback, distortion and noise.
- Audio works great, for about 10 minutes. It then fades to nothing but static and low volume noise. Unless your using Bluetooth, forget it.
-Updates... Yeah, I get updates like once every three months. these render the phone unstable for the next 72 hours and must be rebooted constantly.
-Battery....Don't get me started..... Gets hotter then hell if plugged in. If you try to use it when plugged in, the sound quality is horrible and the mic volume is low. Unplug it, and you get maybe 30 minutes of talk time. It used to be really good. Now it seems the battery is just crap.

This phone has lived its life in a nice armor case. Never dropped and has not a mark on it. Current trade in value... $96. amount owed, $167. Yeah, the hype over having a Nexus is just that.... Hype. I had a nexus 6 that I unlocked and rooted. Why? Because I could. I miss the days of flashing roms and tweaking on my HTC EVO 4G. This Nexus, in all honesty, is not half the phone that device was. It was old, it was slow, but it was a freaking reliable beast. I'm chalking these problems up to my phone just being a lemon. Just like the one I had right before it that I returned for this one. 2 for 2, real quality stuff there Motorola.

So as I activate my HTC 10, I will look back on my first Nexus experience as hopefully my last, and I hope my HTC 10 is everything my EVO 4G was.

Reactions: konradit

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
I can never figure out why people post crap like this on XDA; obviously 1000's of folks have had none of the bad experiences that you claim to have had, and, the most important thing is why do you feel the need to post something like this here?
no one cares that you have left this phone, you've had a whopping FIVE thanks since you have been here, so obviously you have done nothing to contribute to XDA in any way, shape, or form, so why would you think this post adds ANYTHING to the community ?

Geez...

Dopamin3

Dec 7, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
Google Pixel 6a
Good riddance. I've had two Nexus 6 (64GB Cloud white and 32GB Blue) and had literally no issues you experienced. In fact the exact opposite. With V4A (and now A.R.I.S.E. audio) with the Audiophile profiles it's been the best audio quality device I have ever owned. Never had issues with audio either via the headphone jack or via bluetooth paired to all kinds of stuff (Anker bluetooth speaker, my Toyota car, Klipsch sound bar, etc...). I love getting monthly security patches for 3 years and guaranteed updates for 2 for the next OS (good luck on your HTC 10 in terms of security patches and system updates). Also with it being a Nexus there should be developers supporting it much longer than the intended lifecycle- look at the Nexus 4 still getting up to date Marshmallow ROMs compiled for it.

What do you expect trading it in to a carrier? Seriously??? Sell it on swappa.com where the average selling price is around $220/$270 for the 32GB/64GB variants respectively. Carrier trade in has nothing to do with the value of the device.

I don't disbelief you had the issues. That sucks, getting two "lemons" in a row. I wouldn't completely write off the Nexus line though, who knows what the rumored HTC Nexus is gonna be like. Hopefully awesome and similar/better to the HTC 10 but with full open source software released by Google. I'm in the exact opposite camp as you. I will never not buy a Nexus device because of the timely updates, full open source releases from Google, and arguably the best developer community among any devices released. It's also nice that when buying from Google they are unlocked for all 4 major carrier networks now, so you can switch at any time and not be locked in to your current carrier.

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have had the exact opposite experience with my N6. I can now Edge-Up and I won't because there is no other phone that offers more than the N6. Here are my likes and dislikes about the N6

Pro:
Size is perfect for me. I can't stand the old 5" screens.
Mine does not run hot.
Huge amount of development support.
Fast
Battery lasts over 24 hours with heavy use 16 hours a day.
Pure Android experience. No annoying manufacturer crap.
Easy to unlock/root/change ROMS
Because I use a non stock ROM, I get monthly updates for security patches
Fast charging and wireless charging.

Cons:
Camera leaves something to be desired.
Must have a Fast charger if you are a heavy user.
Does not support wireless fast charging.
No micro SD slot

Until Google releases their next 6" phone, I'm sticking with my N6.

raptoro07

Apr 19, 2006
High Point, NC, USA
So my Nexus 6 is gone. My new HTC 10 arrives today. My experiences with this thing for the last 2 years....

- Gets WAY hot. Always has. This is a replacement as the first one died immediately.
- Headphone jack is USELESS.... Phone worked great for a few months. Just long enough to have to deal with hoops to get it warranty replaced. Now the headphone jack is nothing but a swirling mess of feedback, distortion and noise.
- Audio works great, for about 10 minutes. It then fades to nothing but static and low volume noise. Unless your using Bluetooth, forget it.
-Updates... Yeah, I get updates like once every three months. these render the phone unstable for the next 72 hours and must be rebooted constantly.
-Battery....Don't get me started..... Gets hotter then hell if plugged in. If you try to use it when plugged in, the sound quality is horrible and the mic volume is low. Unplug it, and you get maybe 30 minutes of talk time. It used to be really good. Now it seems the battery is just crap.

This phone has lived its life in a nice armor case. Never dropped and has not a mark on it. Current trade in value... $96. amount owed, $167. Yeah, the hype over having a Nexus is just that.... Hype. I had a nexus 6 that I unlocked and rooted. Why? Because I could. I miss the days of flashing roms and tweaking on my HTC EVO 4G. This Nexus, in all honesty, is not half the phone that device was. It was old, it was slow, but it was a freaking reliable beast. I'm chalking these problems up to my phone just being a lemon. Just like the one I had right before it that I returned for this one. 2 for 2, real quality stuff there Motorola.

So as I activate my HTC 10, I will look back on my first Nexus experience as hopefully my last, and I hope my HTC 10 is everything my EVO 4G was.

Just wanted to say before this gets locked that if you think you Nexus 6 got hot. Wait till you start working with a metal phone. It will feel even hotter.
Also, why trade in for pennies on the dollar when you could have sold it on Swappa or Ebay. Going in the +$200 range.

Reactions: KCT1975

scothern99

Aug 15, 2011
Just wanted to say before this gets locked that if you think you Nexus 6 got hot. Wait till you start working with a metal phone. It will feel even hotter.
Also, why trade in for pennies on the dollar when you could have sold it on Swappa or Ebay. Going in the +$200 range.

I didn't say I did. Thats just the trade in value. Kind of pathetic. A 2 year old phone with three times the horsepower (on paper) sells for less then a 3 year old iPhone. Its pathetic.

I seriously had high hopes for the Nexus 6. The 6p might be better as it was not glued together by Motorola. But this phone has been nothing but problems.

scothern99

Aug 15, 2011
Have fun with your Touchwiz or IOS

WOW!!

Sorry I'm not one of the "Cool kids".

I hope you all have much better experiences with your Nexus then I did. As for this Asshat here.... Moron.....

HTC = SENSE
Samsung = Touchwiz
Apple= iOS

Sence I said I was getting an HTC, your obvious attempt to attack me failed, and only showed that you sir are an IDIOT!

Why the defensiveness people? I was merely pointing out my experiences with my particular Nexus 6. I'm glad you like yours, I wanted to love mine. I guess I should learn to keep my opinions to myself. Wouldn't want to be different than anyone else...

Reactions: wessiide

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
posts like this are part of the reason why I do not frequent this forum much anymore. the nexus 6 is a solid device, I have no real complaints about mine. it's not perfect, but it is far from terrible.

Reactions: KCT1975 and gee2012

mituzora

Have fun with Sense then. geez. but seriously if this isn't intended to be a troll post, then you just got sold a lemon. I've owned mine for well over a year now, nor is there anything going out on it. nothing really stands out for an upgrade at this point, and most likely won't until the new nexus devices get dropped. The biggest problem I have with this phone is the lack of an SD card, if it had that I wouldn't upgrade for a long time. I bought it at a new retail price, and honestly I think its worth every penny i spent on it, though I'm kinda angry how low it's dropped lol

But hey if you want to deal with the HTC 10, by all means have fun. you should read the most recent post on the XDA portal about it.

khanam

Jul 26, 2010
Miami
1. Sell the phone on Swappa. Phones sell for much higher there.
2. Your experience is atypical. Most nexus 6 users are very happy.
3. I've been on android phones, rooting and modding since 2007. Having a non nexus phone will be disastrous for getting security updates and upgrades to newer android versions. That alone will overcome any gimmick touchwiz or sense has.
4. Similarly spec'd HTC phones will always lag pure android devices by definition since they have to run a skin on top of the pure android software. It might look similar but it's not close. I'm not going to a non nexus device after having had 18 HTC and Samsung devices in the family.
5. HTC makes the most beautiful industrial design phones but the fragmentation caused by HTC etc having to catch up their overlays to android version upgrades is not trivial. This will be a move you will regret.
6. The nexus 6 has it's own problems but on balance a nexus > a non nexus
7. No android phone will ever match an iPhone in low depreciation rates. Android by definition is too fractured and fragmented to get the cult following iPhones do. Believe me your HTC will also collapse in value very soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: wtherrell

jley22

Feb 18, 2015
I've been using the phone for 14 months straight without a single issue. As a matter of fact, the Nexus 6 is so good, I decided not to upgrade to the 6p. Everyone else who posted here is absolutely correct. Not every phone is going to be peachy keen all the time. Sometimes you will have to do a little homework and figure out what's going wrong and how to fix it. Your HTC 10 will have its own set of issues. What will you do then? Will you just give up and move on to the next phone, or will you try and do something about it?

Reactions: wtherrell

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

good bye, enjoy, and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out :silly:

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
He should get a warn minimum for this spammy post. I have gotten some in the past for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can never figure out why people post crap like this on XDA; obviously 1000's of folks have had none of the bad experiences that you claim to have had, and, the most important thing is why do you feel the need to post something like this here?
    no one cares that you have left this phone, you've had a whopping FIVE thanks since you have been here, so obviously you have done nothing to contribute to XDA in any way, shape, or form, so why would you think this post adds ANYTHING to the community ?

Geez...
    Spleen-venting isn't the ideal bedtime reading.

Thread closed, and not before time too. I'll leave the majority of this here as a part-thesis on "subjectivity"...

PS: the Thanks button still works on closed threads...
    I have had the exact opposite experience with my N6. I can now Edge-Up and I won't because there is no other phone that offers more than the N6. Here are my likes and dislikes about the N6

Pro:
    Size is perfect for me. I can't stand the old 5" screens.
    Mine does not run hot.
    Huge amount of development support.
    Fast
    Battery lasts over 24 hours with heavy use 16 hours a day.
    Pure Android experience. No annoying manufacturer crap.
    Easy to unlock/root/change ROMS
    Because I use a non stock ROM, I get monthly updates for security patches
    Fast charging and wireless charging.

Cons:
    Camera leaves something to be desired.
    Must have a Fast charger if you are a heavy user.
    Does not support wireless fast charging.
    No micro SD slot

Until Google releases their next 6" phone, I'm sticking with my N6.
    Good riddance. I've had two Nexus 6 (64GB Cloud white and 32GB Blue) and had literally no issues you experienced. In fact the exact opposite. With V4A (and now A.R.I.S.E. audio) with the Audiophile profiles it's been the best audio quality device I have ever owned. Never had issues with audio either via the headphone jack or via bluetooth paired to all kinds of stuff (Anker bluetooth speaker, my Toyota car, Klipsch sound bar, etc...). I love getting monthly security patches for 3 years and guaranteed updates for 2 for the next OS (good luck on your HTC 10 in terms of security patches and system updates). Also with it being a Nexus there should be developers supporting it much longer than the intended lifecycle- look at the Nexus 4 still getting up to date Marshmallow ROMs compiled for it.

What do you expect trading it in to a carrier? Seriously??? Sell it on swappa.com where the average selling price is around $220/$270 for the 32GB/64GB variants respectively. Carrier trade in has nothing to do with the value of the device.

I don't disbelief you had the issues. That sucks, getting two "lemons" in a row. I wouldn't completely write off the Nexus line though, who knows what the rumored HTC Nexus is gonna be like. Hopefully awesome and similar/better to the HTC 10 but with full open source software released by Google. I'm in the exact opposite camp as you. I will never not buy a Nexus device because of the timely updates, full open source releases from Google, and arguably the best developer community among any devices released. It's also nice that when buying from Google they are unlocked for all 4 major carrier networks now, so you can switch at any time and not be locked in to your current carrier.
    @scothern99

Too long didn't read.

Glad you'll be able to go back to using Facebook exclusively for your feelings. No place for it here.