[Base 1.80][Root][SCRIPT] 08/07 Butterfly V12/Ghostpepper Inspired Interactive Values

Search This thread

Haldi4803

Didn't have much time Last few days ^^ so no Benchmarking.
It's not even complete. There are a few Frequencies missing, and I'm not entirely sure if this is only for my pvs bin or for all SD820 the same.
But I'll refine the test and redo them in the .... far... future.

Btw, Talk about Frequency Jumping and stuff....
I've always wanted a Governor that has an extreme Power Mode. like normal scaling until 1800mhz, but if I has to scale over 1800 it needs at least 2 seconds constant load of 95%+
So its like a Frequency Cap for normal usage, but when calculating heavy stuff for longer times it will jump to the higher Frequencies.

I've done some Interactive tunables editing long time ago, but just a wee little bit and never really got deeper Into it.
You think that's possible?

Reactions: Freak07

jayplusone

May 21, 2013
New Jersey
If you want the full potential of the mod I would choose the script method as that gives control over cpu boost, htc pnomgr boost and not only the interactive tunables.
Thanks man gonna go this route

Sent from my HTC 10

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Just an FYI guys, if you're having issues applying these scripts I found a more recently updated app. The previously linked one forced closed on me a few times.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.initd

1. I created a folder in root of internal storage and named it scripts.
2. I unzipped the ghostpepper script there.
3. Gave app root access and selected the script. Apply at boot and rebooted.

Sent from my HTC 10

Last edited:
Reactions: mazubo and Freak07

jayplusone

May 21, 2013
New Jersey
1465134622073.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10

Latty

Jun 28, 2007
Anybody else notice that the script will sometimes peg the little cores at max freq on ex kernel? Doesn't happen without the script (also doesn't happen with ghost pepper on stock kernel)

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Anybody else notice that the script will sometimes peg the little cores at max freq on ex kernel? Doesn't happen without the script (also doesn't happen with ghost pepper on stock kernel)

Peg means it will lock the little cores at maximum clockspeed?

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Correct, little cluster got stuck at 1593MHz. I also crossposted on the ex kernel thread and chronoreverse encountered the same issue. Trying out his pgpmgr workaround right now :)
Did you use my script or the ex kernel manager profiles? Because my script already has the lines chrono was referring to.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Only for the big cores. The little cores doesn't have the chmod that locks the minimum frequency (which coincidentally prevents pnpmgr from working).
Butterfly has the lines. That’s why I didn’t have any issues. I will add it to the ghostpepper script. (never encountered the issues on ghostpepper) Thanks for pointing it out!
Btw how were your results with the profile where you wanted to use the most efficient frequencies that haldi kindly measured?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160608-120457.jpg
    Screenshot_20160608-120457.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 182

ChronoReverse

Jun 14, 2010
Butterfly has the lines. That’s why I didn’t have any issues. I will add it to the ghostpepper script. (never encountered the issues on ghostpepper) Thanks for pointing it out!
Btw how were your results with the profile where you wanted to use the most efficient frequencies that haldi kindly measured?

The concept worked in terms of holding the frequencies and I'll have to go back to experiment with it. I was sidelined trying to figure out the core pegging thing (which made me think I had a bug). I haven't come up with a consistent way to test whether it makes a difference in actual use though. It might just be good enough to fast ramp below 700, normal ramp up to 1.3 and then slow ramp up after that.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
hey guys.
ghostpepper script is updated again.
with v11 the Little cores shouldn´t get stuck at highest frequency. so i highly recommend to update to ghostepperV11.
(thanks @ChronoReverse )
Butterfly is not affected as it had the fix from the beginning.
Thanks and sorry for the Trouble.
Have a nice day all. Please post if you still face the issues.

Last edited:

xCHRISTIANx

Apr 14, 2011
Hi @Freak07 ... How would I go about saving my setup pre-script? Or undoing your script if I ever want to undo or remove it? Thanks!

Thanks man gonna go this route

Sent from my HTC 10

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Just an FYI guys, if you're having issues applying these scripts I found a more recently updated app. The previously linked one forced closed on me a few times.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.initd

1. I created a folder in root of my SD card and named it scripts
2. I unzipped the ghostpepper script there.
3. Gave app root access and selected the script. Apply at boot and rebooted.

Sent from my HTC 10

Thank you for posting this, this is a lot easier and less daunting. When I apply this script this is how I'm going to do it. Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Question, @jayplusone , how did you select your SD card in the app you used? I seem to be able to only select the internal storage.

Reactions: jayplusone

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Hi @Freak07 ... How would I go about saving my setup pre-script? Or undoing your script if I ever want to undo or remove it? Thanks!

Thank you for posting this, this is a lot easier and less daunting. When I apply this script this is how I'm going to do it. Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Question, @jayplusone , how did you select your SD card in the app you used? I seem to be able to only select the internal storage.

Before, you can backup your current rom with twrp in case anything happens. but to undo the mod you just delete the script and reboot.

jayplusone

May 21, 2013
New Jersey

Sorry I just saw this.. Internal storage is the way to go. My apologies. Just create a folder in internal and unzip the profiles there. I edited it in case anyone misunderstood. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs

Last edited:

Blue305

Jan 18, 2013
Hello all! I've been using the script with EX app, but now I downloaded the app mentioned above and give it a try... I deactivated everything to apply at boot from EX app, and I have the script executed at boot.. Is there anything else I have to do to have the script running? Should I uninstall the EX app? Because the script got executed and I have 1300 MHz as max clock speeds.. Cheers!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Hello all! I've been using the script with EX app, but now I downloaded the app mentioned above and give it a try... I deactivated everything to apply at boot from EX app, and I have the script executed at boot.. Is there anything else I have to do to have the script running? Should I uninstall the EX app? Because the script got executed and I have 1300 MHz as max clock speeds.. Cheers!
the script shouldn’t affect clock speeds. If you’re on ex kernel you just set them in aroma installer and it is fine.
Usually pnpmgr or thermals may affect max clock speed.
Try using cpu stats to determine if the higher frequencies are used.

Reactions: Blue305

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
So for all people that previously had problems with the script and custom roms due to selinux. The latest leedroid nightly removed selinux permissive and it is now at default set to enforcing. So that means there is is absolutely no reason to not try the script method as I think ice rom has it also. :good:

Have a nice weekend all :)

An update to butterfly is coming soon and I think it will be the new recommended version as it seems to work better with our soc than ghostepper.

Last edited:

gurqn

Dec 6, 2014
Prague
There is v8 of butterfly which came preloaded with ex kernel i guess, why it's not available here as attachment ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,

I thought while waiting for the first custom kernels that maybe i should have a look at the interactive values and try to tweak them based on this way:
    http://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/guide-advanced-interactive-governor-t3269557

So i took a script from @Alcolawl and modified it to work with our device. Many thanks for his scripts.
    I adjusted the values to our snapdragon 820 as the original scripts are for the nexus 6p which runs with a snapdragon 810. (octa on the 810 vs quad-core on the 820)

I´d highly recommend to try these values as it gave me a significant boost in battery life. here is a screenshot:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbxiBXaZVu-N1lsRTMyZ2hsY1k/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbxiBXaZVu-N1MzamRvM2FVZlk/view?usp=sharing

BIG UPDATE: with base 1.80 i´m not able to trick the touch/Input boost from htc´s pnpmgr with a chmod command like i did before. so all versions since Butterfly v11 will disable pnpmgr completely.
    that means if you Play high end games and your device overheats like crazy please Report back. i had no Problem until now.
    also there are now 2 versions. the oc one is for overclocked cpus with elementalx. without oc is for the default clock speeds.

here are explanations on what the 2 different stragies do:

Butterfly - A culmination of all strategies, provides smoothest performance of all currently published settings, though battery savings are a little more modest. Excellent for light and moderate users; heavy/marathon users might want to check out a different setting profile as it gets battery intense with heavy usage.

GhostPepper - Uses a quantized, frequency-aligned parametric curve to influence low core clock rates while providing extremely smooth transitions from each clock rate and exceptional battery life. Good for light to medium usage and multitasking.

So basically there will be two ways of applying this mod.

First one is via scripts. this allows to set parameters outside of the interactive governor controls like cpu boost, editing of pnpmgr, min/max frequencies etc. so basically there´s more control.
    Second one is via EX Kernel Manager. I will upload the profiles and you can apply them directly into the app. This will however only affect the tunables of the interactive governor. Touchboost has to be set manually for the profile to work exactly as intended.
    when the phrase "elex" is in the zips name it is for use with ex kernel manager app (loading profile in governor options screen.

so to try the script method follow these steps. (and before do a nandroid as always)

1. download the attched file.
    2. unzip the file, choose the correct script (oc if you have overclocked)
    3. with a root explorer or terminal copy the file to system/su.d
    4. set the correct permissions (rwxr-xr-x)

now you may either choose to change the settings temporary (step 5A) until the next reboot or permanently upon each reboot (step 5B)

5A. rename the file to 50ghostpeppertenv3.sh
    use any script manager and run the script from this location (system/su.d)

alternatively use any terminal emulator app with the following commands
    su
    cd system/su.d
    sh 50ghostpeppertenv3.sh

Be advised that the script takes in its current state 60 seconds to be applied. So the changes need a minute to be applied.

now check if the script has applied
    - to do this go to sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/interactive/target_loads
    - if it looks like this: "25 480000:35 652800:45 844800:60 960000:75 1113600:85 1228800:90 1401600:95 1593600:100" the script was applied successfully
    - the values changed with each update. what´s important to check is just the generel layout

5B. (-if you did the temporary approach beforehand remove the .sh)
    - it should look like 50ghostpeppertenv3 (make sure there are now spaces at the end)

reboot and check if the script has applied
    - to do this go to sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/interactive/target_loads
    - if it looks like this : "25 480000:35 652800:45 844800:60 960000:75 1113600:85 1228800:90 1401600:95 1593600:100" the script was applied successfully.
    -- the values changed with each update. what´s important to check is just the generel layout

Important!!!

if you run permissive and run into no signal issue due to this look here

if you should run into a no signal issue where your baseband shows as unknown under software status ( currently on custom roms eg leedroid) you have to put a script to system/su.d that sets selinux to permissive. attached is such a script.
    unzip it. copy it to system/su.d
    set the same permissions as the ghostpepper script and your good to go.
    running in terminal the command "getenforce" should return permissive.

Second method via Elemental App:

1. Download the desired profile from the attachments
    2.Extract the Profiles from the zip
    3. Choose the Overclocked(oc) version if you overclocked
    4.Copy the file to sdcard/ElementalX/gov_profiles
    5. Open the app and apply the values

let me know if it brings a little battery boost for you. you may also let me know if you face performance issues.
    Thank you and have fun testing it. :)

Changelog:

Ghostpepper:
    v1: Initial Release
    v2: Tweaking The Script so the values will get applied properly on all roms
    adding a permissive script in case of getting enforced
    v3: Removed touchboost so the profile may unleash its full potential <<--- results in overall slower device.
    v4: Added back short input boost
    v4withtb: Added back original touch boost from htc
    v8: New try on getting the interface smooth and disabling touchboost (minimal stutter remains)
    v8withtb: same as v8 touchboost is still active
    v9: only one version with touchboost now. tweaked target loads (lower freqs are used more), short input boost
    there are now two files inside the zip.
    v10: try to further improve frequency usage, less aggressive scaling
    v11: fix in case Little cores might get stuck at highest clock

Butterfly
    v4: Initial Release
    v4withtb: Initial Release with original touch boost from htc (extremely smooth)
    v6withtb: tuned the values and kept touchboost from pnpmgr, kernel touch boost is disabled, extremely smooth for me
    v7: less aggressive scaling, performance should be really good while reducing less power than v6
    v9: basically scaling is tuned to respect the crossover effieciency point from big and little cluster
    v11: updated to work on base 1.80
    - disable pnpmgr completely because the chmod trick for disabling pnpmgr´s touchboost is no longer working
    - enable msm_thermal and core_control
    v12: tweak some values to work better with the new base
    v13: hotfix as i made a mistake in the previous version

credits:
    thanks to @Alcolawl for the script template
    also thanks to @soniCron for the original thread
    AROMA flashable zip

Has all 4 scripts as selection in AROMA, also includes option to remove them (get back to stock)

works only on SuperSU systemless (like all custom roms and stock rom have it installed)

enjoy
    hey guys and girls

updated op with the latest flashable aroma version. it´s also attached to this post.
    was just a hotfix in case it was not working. i made a mistake and forgot to set the sleep time to a proper value after tweaking.
    now nobody that is using systemless root should have any problems.

have a nice weekend :)
    hey guys.
    ghostpepper script is updated again.
    with v11 the Little cores shouldn´t get stuck at highest frequency. so i highly recommend to update to ghostepperV11.
    (thanks @ChronoReverse )
    Butterfly is not affected as it had the fix from the beginning.
    Thanks and sorry for the Trouble.
    Have a nice day all. Please post if you still face the issues.
    new update for Butterfly will come soon. i think i found values that may work even better for 1.80 base.

Have a nice day :)