[MOD][MultiROM][v33][Beta 1]

Search This thread

zeeshanhussain12

Jun 21, 2015
New Delhi
vh3puLb.png
[/CENTER]
Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Redmi note 3. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Active, Bohdi Linux or WebOS port, once they are ported to our device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs, daily prebuilt image files to install Ubuntu Touch and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.​

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Use for example Ubuntu Touch or Desktop alongside with Android, without the need of device formatting, once they are ported to the redmi note 3
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is messing with boot sector and data partition. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
1. Via MultiROM Manager app (We do not have Official Support, so this is not an option for us yet)
This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app (Not for Moto X Play) and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel (If you want to use Kexec) - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.

2. Manual installation
Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:

• Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_lux_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot, TWRP or Flashify app to flash it.
  • Patched kernel - you can find it in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery. You can use any 3rd-party kernel which include the patch. we dont need patch kernel with the no kexec workaround
  • MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-wt88047-signed.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs

1. Android
Go to recovery, select MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.​

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)

• Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:

• Go to MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Explanation of recovery menus

Main menu
- Add ROM - add ROM to boot
- List ROMs - list installed ROMs and manage them
- Inject boot.img file - When you download for example kernel, which is distrubuted as whole boot.img (eg. franco kernel), you have to use this option on it, otherwise you would lose MultiROM.
- Inject curr. boot sector - Use this option if MultiROM does not show up on boot, for example after kernel installation.
- Settings - well, settings.

Manage ROM
- Rename, delete - I believe these are obvious
- Flash ZIP (only Android ROMs) - flash ZIP to the ROM, for example gapps
- Add/replace boot.img - replaces boot.img used by this ROM, this is more like developer option.
- Re-patch init - this is available only for ubuntu. Use it when ubuntu cannot find root partition, ie. after apt-get upgrade which changed the init script.​

XDA:DevDB Information
[MOD][MultiROM][v33][Beta 1][kenzo], Tool/Utility for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3

Contributors
zeeshanhussain12
Source Code: https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p

Version Information
Beta Release Date: 2016-06-15

Created 2016-06-15
Last Updated 2016-06-15

zeeshanhussain12

Jun 21, 2015
New Delhi
Reserved

DOWNLOADS

1. Main Downloads

Multirom :- multirom-20160615-v33-UNOFFICIAL-kenzo.zip

Multirom recovery:- recovery.img

2. third-party kernels with kexec-hardboot patch
no need with kexec workaround :p

Uninstaller :- multirom_uninstaller.zip

Flash this ZIP file to remove MultiROM from your device. It will erase all secondary ROMs. If you don't want MultiROM menus in recovery, re-flash clean TWRP, but it is not needed - those menus don't do anything if MultiROM is not installed.

Last edited:

zeeshanhussain12

Jun 21, 2015
New Delhi
Reserved

FAQ's

1. Should I flash recovery only via Flashify app?
-Not essentially, You can flash it via recovery.
Boot to TWRP.
Install->Tap on Images(bottom right screen)>Locate and select your recovery.img
Flash to 'Recovery' partition.
Reboot back to TWRP(IMPORTANT).

2.Can I flash any other kernels?
-yes you can flash any roms

3.Which roms can I flash?
-All Android 5.1+ roms can be flashed without any issues.
miui is not supported

4.How to flash without Hardbricking?
-Follow the steps from OP and there are videos to make the things easy in initial pages.
Maximum it causes bootloops(softbrick), not hardbrick if you follow the guide.

5.Can I flash roms to ext-sd card and USB-otg? How?
-Yes you can flash them to ext-sd card and USB-otg.
Boot to TWRP.
Tap on Multirom.
Tap on ADD ROM
Select the right Location
Flashing on ext-sd and USB otg takes some time, so be patient, don't freak out!

sd1 = usb otg
mmcblklpa = sd card

6.Where to find roms installed in my ext-sd and USB? How to boot into 'em?
-After flashing you'll be booted into MultiROM menu.
All your roms flashed on internal memory will be in Internal tab.
Others will be in External tab.
7.How to rename/remove/delete/wipe dalvik & cache or flash any other zips to existing rom?
-Follow
Boot to recovery.
Tap on MultROM
Tap on the rom which you want to remove/add zips.
You'll find all the options you need! :)

9."Unable to flash, I'm getting errors" / "Executing updater script failed" / "Rom is not booting" ????
-Please provide logs. It'll be located in /data/media/0/multirom/last_kexec. log
It'd great if you can provide the screenshots.
Press VOL DOWN + LOCK KEY to take Screenshots.

10.How to disable auto boot / change rom name / hide roms / brightness of Multirom menu?
-Follow
Boot to recovery.
Tap on MultiROM.
Tap on 3 dots on top right of screen.
Select settings.
Here you find all the customisations for MultiROM menu.

Last edited:

ayush321

May 9, 2015
New Delhi
Can't boot to the rom...
The multirom screen shows up and when i select the rom, device reboots and again shows up....
I had to uninstall multirom and now it's booting into my primary rom normally...

Filip013

Oct 25, 2011
This looks interesting. I’m definitely going to try it.

But when you say MIUI not supported, does that mean MIUI doesn’t work as a secondary ROM, or MIUI doesn’t work at all? How about Xiaomi.EU builds that don’t mess with TWRP? I’ve never tried MultiROM, but I have recently been playing with Dual Boot Patcher on my old Redmi 1S. I can get Xiaomi.EU MIUI to work both as a primary and a secondary ROM, but I also have to flash TWRP every time I update it.

Also what happens if I use ROMs with different bootloaders? For example, Santhosh uses stock MM bootloader and Balika011 uses a modified bootloader from AOSP ROM (I think). How would that work?

Last edited:

zeeshanhussain12

Jun 21, 2015
New Delhi
Can't boot to the rom...
The multirom screen shows up and when i select the rom, device reboots and again shows up....
I had to uninstall multirom and now it's booting into my primary rom normally...
Working on porting kexec to our kernel ( currently it stuck on mi logo) this workaround is not working with all ROMs

edit- looks like the problem is with dtb. people are using different trees for roms which have different dtb. it is causing this issue. we have to wait for official cm trees or use the roms which is built by same trees . the roms i tried was built by same trees thats why its fine for me

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zeeshanhussain12

Jun 21, 2015
New Delhi
This looks interesting. I’m definitely going to try it.

But when you say MIUI not supported, does that mean MIUI doesn’t work as a secondary ROM, or MIUI doesn’t work at all? How about Xiaomi.EU builds that don’t mess with TWRP? I’ve never tried MultiROM, but I have recently been playing with Dual Boot Patcher on my old Redmi 1S. I can get Xiaomi.EU MIUI to work both as a primary and a secondary ROM, but I also have to flash TWRP every time I update it.

Also what happens if I use ROMs with different bootloaders? For example, Santhosh uses stock MM bootloader and Balika011 uses a modified bootloader from AOSP ROM (I think). How would that work?

miui gives error while flashing as secondary. i have not tried Xiaomi.EU roms. i have ported DualBootPatcher too i have it in my drive . it doesn't work well with sd 650 as qcom changed base directory in mm and lp. the current problem is with dtb nearly every rom is using different source which have different dtb, it is causing problems. we just have to wait :rolleyes: for one official source or use the roms which is built with same trees

Reactions: ermeda and Filip013

ayush321

May 9, 2015
New Delhi
Working on porting kexec to our kernel ( currently it stuck on mi logo) this workaround is not working with all ROMs

edit- looks like the problem is with dtb. people are using different trees for roms which have different dtb. it is causing this issue. we have to wait for official cm trees or use the roms which is built by same trees . the roms i tried was built by same trees thats why its fine for me

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Can you tell me which roms are currently working with multiROM...

@War_machine28

Oct 7, 2015
New Delhi
www.warmachine28.me
vh3puLb.png
[/CENTER]
Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Redmi note 3. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Active, Bohdi Linux or WebOS port, once they are ported to our device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs, daily prebuilt image files to install Ubuntu Touch and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.​

Features:
* Use for example Ubuntu Touch or Desktop alongside with Android, without the need of device formatting, once they are ported to the redmi note 3

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is messing with boot sector and data partition. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
1. Via MultiROM Manager app (We do not have Official Support, so this is not an option for us yet)
This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app (Not for Moto X Play) and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel (If you want to use Kexec) - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.

2. Manual installation
Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

• Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_lux_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot, TWRP or Flashify app to flash it.
  • Patched kernel - you can find it in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery. You can use any 3rd-party kernel which include the patch. we dont need patch kernel with the no kexec workaround
  • MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-wt88047-signed.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.

Adding ROMs

1. Android
Go to recovery, select MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.​

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

• Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:

Main menu
- Inject boot.img file - When you download for example kernel, which is distrubuted as whole boot.img (eg. franco kernel), you have to use this option on it, otherwise you would lose MultiROM.
- Inject curr. boot sector - Use this option if MultiROM does not show up on boot, for example after kernel installation.

Manage ROM
- Add/replace boot.img - replaces boot.img used by this ROM, this is more like developer option.
- Re-patch init - this is available only for ubuntu. Use it when ubuntu cannot find root partition, ie. after apt-get upgrade which changed the init script.​

Contributors
zeeshanhussain12

Version Information

Created 2016-06-15
Last Updated 2016-06-15

Awesome Work buddy! Keep going!

Reactions: a.hay

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vh3puLb.png
    [/CENTER]
    Introduction

Features:

Warning!

Installation

2. Manual installation

Adding ROMs

1. Android

Using USB drive

Updating/changing ROMs

Main menu

Manage ROM

Contributors
    zeeshanhussain12

Version Information

Created 2016-06-15
    Last Updated 2016-06-15
    Reserved

DOWNLOADS

1. Main Downloads

Multirom :- multirom-20160615-v33-UNOFFICIAL-kenzo.zip

Multirom recovery:- recovery.img

2. third-party kernels with kexec-hardboot patch
    no need with kexec workaround :p

Uninstaller :- multirom_uninstaller.zip

Flash this ZIP file to remove MultiROM from your device. It will erase all secondary ROMs. If you don't want MultiROM menus in recovery, re-flash clean TWRP, but it is not needed - those menus don't do anything if MultiROM is not installed.
    Reserved

FAQ's

1. Should I flash recovery only via Flashify app?
    -Not essentially, You can flash it via recovery.
    Boot to TWRP.
    Install->Tap on Images(bottom right screen)>Locate and select your recovery.img
    Flash to 'Recovery' partition.
    Reboot back to TWRP(IMPORTANT).

2.Can I flash any other kernels?
    -yes you can flash any roms

3.Which roms can I flash?
    -All Android 5.1+ roms can be flashed without any issues.
    miui is not supported

4.How to flash without Hardbricking?
    -Follow the steps from OP and there are videos to make the things easy in initial pages.
    Maximum it causes bootloops(softbrick), not hardbrick if you follow the guide.

5.Can I flash roms to ext-sd card and USB-otg? How?
    -Yes you can flash them to ext-sd card and USB-otg.
    Boot to TWRP.
    Tap on Multirom.
    Tap on ADD ROM
    Select the right Location
    Flashing on ext-sd and USB otg takes some time, so be patient, don't freak out!

sd1 = usb otg
    mmcblklpa = sd card

6.Where to find roms installed in my ext-sd and USB? How to boot into 'em?
    -After flashing you'll be booted into MultiROM menu.
    All your roms flashed on internal memory will be in Internal tab.
    Others will be in External tab.
    7.How to rename/remove/delete/wipe dalvik & cache or flash any other zips to existing rom?
    -Follow
    Boot to recovery.
    Tap on MultROM
    Tap on the rom which you want to remove/add zips.
    You'll find all the options you need! :)

9."Unable to flash, I'm getting errors" / "Executing updater script failed" / "Rom is not booting" ????
    -Please provide logs. It'll be located in /data/media/0/multirom/last_kexec. log
    It'd great if you can provide the screenshots.
    Press VOL DOWN + LOCK KEY to take Screenshots.

10.How to disable auto boot / change rom name / hide roms / brightness of Multirom menu?
    -Follow
    Boot to recovery.
    Tap on MultiROM.
    Tap on 3 dots on top right of screen.
    Select settings.
    Here you find all the customisations for MultiROM menu.
    BUGS
    - Miui is not supported

Credits @nkk71 for his no kexec workaround @Abhishek from yu forums @TheStrix for cm

NOTE :- All the devs are requested to help in improving this project as it is still in beta stage
    Multirom is working now
    thanks to @TheStrix for using appended dtb in his trees. now you will be able to boot any rom if you use krexus or official rr as your primary rom or any rom based on his latest trees. i will ask a youtuber to make a video tutorial :)