World First Galaxy S7 Qualcomm Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

davecotefilm

May 11, 2014
Vancouver
davecote.com
I'm on the sm-g9350, its an sd820 edge unlocked, can i help in any way? Could you guys flash factory binary, then my models firmware to get root? I'm a noob so if it's a dumb idea I'm sorry, but since the BL is locked to the carrier, wouldn't factory binary undo that? The flash my sm-g9350 hk firmware and BL? Saw the binary ( http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f922/failed-unlocking-s7-sprint-2083674/index3.html)
Isn't that a US sd820?

Brickman221

Dec 13, 2014
I'm on the sm-g9350, its an sd820 edge unlocked, can i help in any way? Could you guys flash factory binary, then my models firmware to get root? I'm a noob so if it's a dumb idea I'm sorry, but since the BL is locked to the carrier, wouldn't factory binary undo that? The flash my sm-g9350 hk firmware and BL? Saw the binary ( http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f922/failed-unlocking-s7-sprint-2083674/index3.html)
Isn't that a US sd820?
I'm no developer, but I belive that carriers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. sign the firmware before it'll go on the phone, not Samsung (in U.S. models). So in theory, flashing that firmware will fail since it's not signed by the right carrier.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
From what I remember reading, the Chinese version is partitioned differently.

Sent from my SM-G935T using XDA-Developers mobile app

I kinda remember reading that too but with a pit file and by checking the repartition option in ODIN it *might* be possible. Personally, I'm very skeptic and not willing to brick my device beyond repair. I've been trying to download the G9350ZHU1APB9_G9350ZZH1APB9_TGY.zip firmware all day from SamMobile but for some reason my download keeps getting interrupted and I have to start over. Third attempt here. Would be nice if someone that had already downloaded would upload it to another server like MEGA, Google Drive, Dropbox or something like that. @davecotefilm had mentioned to me that he thinks that the unlocked bootloader is included with the zip file. I'm extremely doubtful. Even if it is, I doubt that we can even flash it onto ours. Even IF we can flash the bootloader I think it needs to match our radios and kernel for it to properly work, or am I wrong? Unless we can somehow flash the entire firmware on our devices but the G9350 is a dual sim which would be a very different device. That's my way of thinking anyway. But anyway, if we *can* use this bootloader, flash a custom kernel (and trip knox in the process), then a TWRP recovery, etc. Again, I'm very doubtful though. Anyone willing to brick their phone? Not it.

Reactions: davecotefilm

razz1

Nov 3, 2011
chicago
Anybody try this yet?

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_type=t Found a code...interesting....

davecotefilm

May 11, 2014
Vancouver
davecote.com
Pit file

I kinda remember reading that too but with a pit file and by checking the repartition option in ODIN it *might* be possible. Personally, I'm very skeptic and not willing to brick my device beyond repair. I've been trying to download the G9350ZHU1APB9_G9350ZZH1APB9_TGY.zip firmware all day from SamMobile but for some reason my download keeps getting interrupted and I have to start over. Third attempt here. Would be nice if someone that had already downloaded would upload it to another server like MEGA, Google Drive, Dropbox or something like that. @davecotefilm had mentioned to me that he thinks that the unlocked bootloader is included with the zip file. I'm extremely doubtful. Even if it is, I doubt that we can even flash it onto ours. Even IF we can flash the bootloader I think it needs to match our radios and kernel for it to properly work, or am I wrong? Unless we can somehow flash the entire firmware on our devices but the G9350 is a dual sim which would be a very different device. That's my way of thinking anyway. But anyway, if we *can* use this bootloader, flash a custom kernel (and trip knox in the process), then a TWRP recovery, etc. Again, I'm very doubtful though. Anyone willing to brick their phone? Not it.

Yes the pit file will partition it. And you get get your full firmware off sammobile, and once you root with thr sm-g9350 firmware, pretty sure you can mount your phones firmware after unpacking, edit the files, add SU and repack, then flash.
Here's pics, pretty sure my architecture is same as yours:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveCoteFilm/status/745946075605831681

Last edited:

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Stop asking the dev for update you want permanent root. Not until unlocked bootloader. Hasnt happened before wont happened now. Should of been well awatwd before you purchased the phone

BREWGIRL03

Mar 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Can I ask a question? So from reading this thread I'm getting that someone has root but won't release the files on how to do it for the rest of us? Is that what is going on? As far as the person who stated that we knew that the phones were going to be locked so we shouldn't have bought them. Well actually that is not true. I bought my phone the first day it came out for sprint and I didn't hear or read anything about locked bootloaders or any issues with not being able to get root. I also have an s6 and it took a bit to get root on that but they get it. I love my phone but I think it messed up for the amount of money we pay for our phones that we can't do with them what we want. Samsung should release a bootloader unlock like HTC did where you can go online if you choose and unlock the phone. It's the right thing to do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
Yes the pit file will partition it. And you get get your full firmware off sammobile, and once you root with thr sm-g9350 firmware, pretty sure you can mount your phones firmware after unpacking, edit the files, add SU and repack, then flash.
Here's pics, pretty sure my architecture is same as yours:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveCoteFilm/status/745946075605831681[/QUOTE

Will that work (flashing original 935T firmware after) without re-partitioning, which would wipe the unlocked bootloader from the 9350 I believe?

davecotefilm

May 11, 2014
Vancouver
davecote.com
Sure, because you can unpack the 935* firmware, add superuser, repack, flash. I'm pretty sure you could do this part through twrp that installs with the 9350 Aurora rom, so possibility knox would even stay intact.. But probably 0x1.

Reactions: treepog

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
Sure, because you can unpack the 935* firmware, add superuser, repack, flash. I'm pretty sure you could do this part through twrp that installs with the 9350 Aurora rom, so possibility knox would even stay intact.. But probably 0x1.

But we will probably have to re-partition back to 935T to flash system, boot, data, modems, cache, etc. When we do that, we'll go back to square 1 again. Right? If we can JUST flash the bootloader, kernel and recovery (knox 0x1) then we can at least to systemless root after, theoretically. Right?
I finally finished the download. I'll try to upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or MEGA tonight for someone to try. I'm seriously skeptical though. It can't be that easy, can it?

davecotefilm

May 11, 2014
Vancouver
davecote.com
Edit firmware

But we will probably have to re-partition back to 935T to flash system, boot, data, modems, cache, etc. When we do that, we'll go back to square 1 again. Right? If we can JUST flash the bootloader, kernel and recovery (knox 0x1) then we can at least to systemless root after, theoretically. Right?
I finally finished the download. I'll try to upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox or MEGA tonight for someone to try. I'm seriously skeptical though. It can't be that easy, can it?

I'd think of you edit the firmware and add su, repack, no reason for any problems, I wouldn't say "easy" though :p
EDIT: I believe partitions are same, as I mistakenly flashed 935t TMO AP to my device before I got Aurora rom, and I like that TMO introduced me to Samsung Milk Music :D

Last edited:

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Just posted on xda news: New Android Malware, Godless, Targets Android 5.1 and Earlier

Will this help us at all? A weak 5.1 is a good potential for root imo

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-e...argets-android-5-1-and-earlier/#comments_area
How is malware good?

I avoided posting in this thread, but I keep reading it, but it seems like it's wasteful reading with the amount of railbirds that truly have nothing valuable to add except to clutter the thread with pointless and useless comments.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

AlphaD1

Sep 30, 2011
Walla Walla
How is malware good?

I avoided posting in this thread, but I keep reading it, but it seems like it's wasteful reading with the amount of railbirds that truly have nothing valuable to add except to clutter the thread with pointless and useless comments.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Like this one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: melona380
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well here's some proof of concept of my successfully rooted Galaxy S7 Edge. There's still lots of bugs but most root apps work.

Suck it Samsung :cool:

2ecpwf6.png

No ETA yet..
    @Sunderwear,
    Do you have an update for us? Otherwise, a mod might as well just close the thread. You can request to have it re-opened when or if you get something.

Agreed. Without an update from the OP, this is a bust and now the thread is just chasing its tail going nowhere.

@Sunderwear, PM me if you have an update with progress and would like the thread re-opened.

THREAD CLOSED
    I would choose words wisely when speaking of anyone that has given so much to the xda community. Have you ever taken a moment to see what he has done for android users and for free too.
    what is the point of this post? shows nothing, proves nothing, explains nothing...
    Then refrain yourself from posting here. Nothing to see here.

Can we keep this thread on topic please? This isn't about privacy etc. I see this thread getting shut down if this keeps happening. Get each other's hangouts or telegram if you want to chat it up.
    Sorry for the ping everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk