[APP][4.1+] Text Aide 9.0

Search This thread

moriel5

Jul 20, 2013
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Hebrew might be quite difficult to find. Do you know of any offline dictionary that provides an API?

I think I may do, however I do not remember.
I'll try searching for one, and I'll post my findings once I have any.

However, there is a group in Israel called HaMakor, and they are extremely passionate about Open Source, so they will probably be able to help in this matter.

Last edited:

metropical

Sep 23, 2011
New York
great app. Been looking for a replacement to macro Xposed module.
Does one need the Xposed framework for the Text Expand to work? Apparently.
What else does the Xposed framework add?

Also, does the Chrome patch allow Text Expand to work?

Last edited:

QuickNET Tech

Oct 30, 2014
great app. Been looking for a replacement to macro Xposed module.
Does one need the Xposed framework for the Text Expand to work? Apparently.
What else does the Xposed framework add?

Also, does the Chrome patch allow Text Expand to work?
Xposed is not needed for expansion. Xposed adds double tap to select text in most apps and maybe more that I don't remember.

QuickNET Tech

Oct 30, 2014
hmmm, didn't seem to function on my Lg G4 w/o Xposed, but I'll try again.
Have you made sure that it is enabled in "Text Aide >> Expand >> Settings". Also, I believe the accessibility option may be necessary, I have it enabled on my G4 and it works, but I don't remember if it's mandatory. Seeing as I am on 6.0 LS991ZVB I also have no Xposed and no root. :(

Good luck!

PunchUp

Sep 18, 2013
Have you made sure that it is enabled in "Text Aide >> Expand >> Settings". Also, I believe the accessibility option may be necessary, I have it enabled on my G4 and it works, but I don't remember if it's mandatory. Seeing as I am on 6.0 LS991ZVB I also have no Xposed and no root. :(

Good luck!
Must be enabled in Accessibility if Xposed is not available/used

tobisupreme

Aug 27, 2013
Lagos
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Finally found what I needed but Text Aide doesn't detect xposed, and I know xposed is working fine.

I have checked and reboot, unchecked and reboot, then checked again and reboot but still, nothing.

I even installed an earlier version (7.5a) but it still won't detect xposed.

What do I do?

UPDATE: I installed XDA Labs and used the 'Enable Mod' option in it. Now Text Aide works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: piersplowman

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Version 7.5e has the same problem I had with c, expand doesn't work. Had to revert to 7.5a to get it working again.
I'm using ZenFone 2 Ze551ml with stock lollipop system and xposed on top.

aLexzkter

Sep 21, 2010
@PunchUp.

Since this is a text app, I thought it'd be useful to have a way to select a text, choose "save to list" then a popup shows up asking which list you would want it to be pasted on, so that the selected text is automatically added there in a list style.
I don't know of any 3rd party app that quickly allows doing this by using your "share to" option.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
@PunchUp.

Since this is a text app, I thought it'd be useful to have a way to select a text, choose "save to list" then a popup shows up asking which list you would want it to be pasted on, so that the selected text is automatically added there in a list style.
I don't know of any 3rd party app that quickly allows doing this by using your "share to" option.

What is the save text going to utilized for after it's saved?
Because anything I copy with TA is saved to my clipboard, which is now accessible from the TA popup menu.
Or I can save "any" text as a note on my device now:p.

aLexzkter

Sep 21, 2010
What is the save text going to utilized for after it's saved?
Because anything I copy with TA is saved to my clipboard, which is now accessible from the TA popup menu.
Or I can save "any" text as a note on my device now:p.

It's going to be used for reviewing it later, say 1 hour or more, for example.
As a language learner, I often bump into interesting words or phrases, and because of all the steps it takes to manually copy a text, exit your internet browsing app, open your note taking app, and paste it there...I simply don't do it.
Using the clipboard is not a good solution since I obviously don't want all the texts I copied to be saved, but thanks for the suggestion

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
It's going to be used for reviewing it later, say 1 hour or more, for example.
As a language learner, I often bump into interesting words or phrases, and because of all the steps it takes to manually copy a text, exit your internet browsing app, open your note taking app, and paste it there...I simply don't do it.
Using the clipboard is not a good solution since I obviously don't want all the texts I copied to be saved, but thanks for the suggestion

OK thanks for explaining:good:.
But sorry I wasn't making a suggestion on what to use, was just curious about the use.
And on the note devices, we have smart select to grab any text we want. Plus I can also use my S-pen to grab any text. And saving it isn't that hard at all...

I will recommend another app I use here might be good for what your looking for until @PunchUp can (maybe) implement it into his TA app:cool:.

Regards,
Bajanman

aLexzkter

Sep 21, 2010
OK thanks for explaining:good:.
But sorry I wasn't making a suggestion on what to use, was just curious about the use.
And on the note devices, we have smart select to grab any text we want. Plus I can also use my S-pen to grab any text. And saving it isn't that hard at all...

I will recommend another app I use here might be good for what your looking for until @PunchUp can (maybe) implement it into his TA app:cool:.

Regards,
Bajanman
Smartselect? I have a Note 4 but that doesn't even work on Chrome plus it's not about being able to copy any text...but saving the selected text with the least number of steps to do so.
I don't want anything that involves too many steps or minimizing the app that you're currently using to read: the ideal thing would be to select a text, choose "save to list" (instead of copy, speak, search...) and that's it.
Although being able to manage several lists would be better even if it added one more step.
About the list/lists...there should be a share option, in case I wanted to export it as a text file and print it or view it on my computer.

Edit: selecting a text then sharing to google keep is not that bad, it just takes too many steps. I'll keep investigating

Last edited:

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Smartselect? I have a Note 4 but that doesn't even work on Chrome plus it's not about being able to copy any text...but saving the selected text with the least number of steps to do so.
I don't want anything that involves too many steps or minimizing the app that you're currently using to read: the ideal thing would be to select a text, choose "save to list" (instead of copy, speak, search...) and that's it.
Although being able to manage several lists would be better even if it added one more step.
About the list/lists...there should be a share option, in case I wanted to export it as a text file and print it or view it on my computer.

Edit: selecting a text then sharing to google keep is not that bad, it just takes too many steps. I'll keep investigating
To many steps ok...[emoji57]

Doesn't work in chrome? Huh?
Works great on my phone...
Well I am using a custom DN5 Rom.

Hope you get it worked out, until @PunchUp can pop his head in here.

Good luck.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1468280376022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1468280376022.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 136

jack50

Mar 5, 2015
Hi Mr PunchUp,
text aide is really amazing and u are is doing a great job :) . l have a question please , why text aide doesn't support opera browser and why there's no module like Chrome Selection Patch for opera .
and can u please make dict aide support bgl dictionaries . thank u and good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    bannera.png

Text Aide started out as a simple Xposed module called Text Xposed to add 3 options (Define, Search and Share) to the Contextual Action Bar when some text was selected while typing.
    But now it has a lot of features which do not require Xposed at all.

• Define Picking up from xDictionary by @perseus0807, this displays the definition of the selected word as a pop-up. Ideal when you are reading an e-book or a news article and find it rather distracting to open a dictionary app again and again.
    There are two ways to do this without Xposed
    • First is to activate a feature called "Copy to define" from the settings. As the name suggests, you just have to select some text and hit the copy button.
    It can be easily paused from the notification when you don't need it.
    Enabling the + button shows you a pop-up with the copied text, which is useful in apps like WhatsApp where a word can't be selected singularly from the chats
    • Second is to share the text and select Define
    • Third is to use the homescreen widget
    • For Play Books you can also use "Web search" feature. And for Moon+, FB Reader dictionary feature choose "ColorDict"

• Offline definitions available in 5 languages currently: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
    • For more languages you can use my app Dict Aide which supports StarDict dictionary packs
    • Online thesaurus with a list of synonyms and antonyms
    • In addition to that, you can quickly switch to Wikipedia for additional information and Wiktionary for languages that currently do not have offline access. You can do this in any language! Just modify it in the settings.

• Expand This gives you system wide text expansion. You can define a macro (shortcut) like @addhome to type your full home address! Very useful if you type something often.
    Just set a shortcut and let Text Aide do the rest!

• Search You can add a list of your favourite search engines and access them quickly from a sidebar. Also includes a floating browser
    • First way is to use Copy Aide and enable the search button from the notification.
    • Second is to share the text and then select 'Enhanced Search' from the dialog
    • Third is to use the search button in AOSP (based) browsers or apps like Wikipedia.
    • It can also be done using the homescreen widget

• Share You can do the following things by sharing text
    • Copy - As the name suggests, you can copy it from the share menu
    This will also be shown in browser selection menu (when you tap on a link).
    • Dial You can use the shared text to place a call.
    • Open As URL - This allows you to open the selected text in the web browser as a URL/link (if it's valid).

• Speak Using this feature, you can make (almost) any text on your device speak using TTS engine.
    This can be very useful if you're learning a new language!
    Please watch the video for a good demo on how to use it.

Xposed gives you additional control. You can double tap a TextView (which means fields like WhatsApp chat bubbles, YouTube comments, Play store description,etc) to force selection.
    This, however, has some limitations and might not work in all apps.

You will also get all the five buttons (Define, Dial, Search+, Share & Speak) in the contextual action bar on selecting some text in most apps.

For Chrome, you can use my module called Chrome Selection Patch
    Browsers like Dolphin, Opera, etc are not supported

Installation
    Download from Play Store or Xposed repository and install as any other app

Known Bugs
    Overflow button gets camouflaged if the background of action bar is white (Android bug)
    Selection handles and paste button overlap the overflow menu
    Anything else? Let me know

To Do
    HTC Compatibility
    Add more search engines
    Upload to Github for translations, etc
    Browser support
    Thesaurus
    Update dictionary
    More ideas are welcome

Credits
    A BIG thanks to DHM47 for all the support and encouragement. Wouldn't have been possible without him!

@perseus0807 for xDictionary code
    @mikmitch for Macro Expansion code
    @rovo89 obviously for the brilliant Xposed framework
    @MohammadAG and @zst123 for some of their code
    And all the amazing people at StockOverflow

Contribute
    Text Aide is completely free without any ads and/or locked features.
    If you can afford and would like to support development, please consider to donate using in-app purchase

XDA:DevDB Information
    Text Aide, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    PunchUp, PunchUp, DHM47

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 6.6
    Stable Release Date: 2015-11-21

Created 2015-01-05
    Last Updated 2015-11-23
    Changelog

- Reorder cards in Expand & Search by dragging up & down
    - Misc fixes

- Enhanced Search - Shows a sidebar with your favorite search engines - copy/share the text or click the search button in AOSP (based) browsers
    Xposed users can click on Search+
    - Added Search to homescreen widget
    - Fixed background crashes while using Expand

[Xposed]
    WebView support. Works in apps like Wikipedia, Lightning etc.
    Firefox - WIP
    Chrome - bit.ly/ChromeSP
    Dolphin, Opera etc. won't be supported

- Added a new feature called Expand (based on Macro/Text Expansion module)
    - 'Speak' now works in background without blocking the screen
    - Fixed double tap blacklist

- Rebranded the app to 'Text Aide'

- Added new features called Dial & Speak
    Speak uses TTS engine to utter selected text (Please watch the video in the OP or Play store for a demo)
    Dial lets you place a call using the selected text

- Added a home screen widget

- Define can be now disabled from Share menu
    - Fixed the master switch for Copy in Share settings

- [Xposed] Fixed double tap and blacklist on many devices. Please contact if it's still a problem
    - Misc bug fixes

- UI crash fix 4.0.x ICS devices
    - [Xposed] Small bug fix in enforce action item dialog

- Support Moon+, FB Reader etc. (Choose ColorDict in settings)
    - New locales - Korean, Portuguese(BR) thanks to SDKoongchi & Parallaxis

- Links are now active. Clicking on the underlined word will take you to it's definition. (Translations don't work)
    - Thesaurus added. Activation instructions available under Define>Thesaurus
    - Spanish locale thanks to Artista Y

- Clicking on notification opens the app

- A new feature called "Enhanced selection" to supplement "Copy to define"
    This is useful in apps like WhatsApp where you can't select a word singularly from the chats. Just enable this feature using the "+" button in notification and then copy the message. You'll get a pop-up with the copied text from which you can select and define the word you want.
    For Xposed users, this is useful in apps like Google messenger where double tap doesn't work.

The app is now free on Play Store. To donate, please use in-app payment.

- A new feature called "Copy to define." Just copy the word to get it's definition. Enable it from the settings.
    - Support for Play Books. Use "Web Search"

- [Xposed] Enforce action item to prevent overflow menu
    - [Xposed] SystemUI blacklisted by default, to prevent interference

- Some other minor enhancements

- Much awaited WebView support is here. Xposed is not needed but an option is planned for future. Just use the Share button and hit Define. Works in browsers, news apps, e-book readers, etc
    - Wiktionary added. Default language can be set as needed.

- Two new utilities for sharing.
    Copy which will show up in Share and Browser complete action menus
    and Open as URL which can open the selected text in a browser

- Added Wikipedia (requires internet permission)
    - Pop-up is now an activity. In other words, you can change any settings without requiring a reboot. It might also fix incompatibility issues with some Samsung and LG devices (not tested. Please report on the thread)
    - You can now select the views you'd like to keep. Default is set to English and Wikipedia
    - Wikipedia's langauge can be changed according to your needs. Default set to English (en)
    - Blacklist added for double tap feature as it has been problematic in some apps
    - Some other minor changes

- Double tap to make TextView selectable. Works in most apps! Exceptions found so far are Tapatalk, Google messenger, CyanogenMod MMS app. Could be more but works fine in WhatsApp, Xposed installer logs, YouTube comments/description, etc
    - "Test Define" option inside settings to preview all the settings without rebooting again and again!
    - Custom font to maintain consistency across all devices.
    - Font size mechanism changed. Lesser steps but more (and better) control
    - Other miscellaneous changes

Quick fix update
    - Fixed the font colour being camouflaged in pop-up language selector window (for some devices). Thanks to @Bajanman for reporting

Lots of additions to Define
    - 4 more languages added. French, German, Italian and Spanish.
    - Ability to quickly switch languages from the pop-up itself
    - Default font size can now be set according to personal preference
    - Added gravity customisation to display the pop-up at top, center or bottom
    - Popup is now default. Browser search has been removed
    - Misc improvements to the pop-up dialog

- Material design
    - Edit fields in Chrome browser patched (Define not available)
    - French translation thanks to @Micks29

Quick fix update
    - Improved pop-up: Smaller size and better padding. Must look much better now

Major Release!
    The Define framework has been revamped completely!
    It was previously based on xDictionary's code, and hence used "WordNet" database for definitions. Unfortunately, it lacked many words, as you must have experienced.
    Now, Text Xposed has switched to Livio's Dictionary Provider code.

Advantages
    - The most obvious advantage is that the module's size has shrunk to ~50 KB.
    - The defintion is now displayed using WebView, so you can pinch to zoom and select text inside it to copy or share
    - Livio's dictionary is very comprehensive. You can even search for small words like is, that, etc. And it gives you etymology, synonyms, translations, etc along with the defintion!
    - The module and dictionary app complement each other really well. You have a different UI to search for words, when Text Xposed is not accessible.
    - You get proper and direct updates for the dictionary from Play store and I don't have to worry about maintaining the dictionary.

- Livio provides more dictionary packs for Italian, French, German and Spanish. Support for these will be added eventually, but low priority for now.
    If there are many requests, I might do it earlier though.

Other Changes
    - Toast is now gone. Although, it is possible to extract a part of the definition, I felt the main chunks were still too big for a toast.
    - I will, however add a time-out option for the pop-up.
    - HTC compatibility implemented. Need some more feedback though
    - Code Cleanup

TL;DR - Just tell me what to do
    - Ok so first of all, delete the "xdictionary" folder. It is no longer needed.
    - Then you need Livio dictionary. Either download from here, or press the Define button after a reboot. It will show you a dialog with the link

- Fixed Define for some devices
    - Changed toast for dictionary data copy confirmation
    - Other minor changes

- Initial

Chrome Selection Patch

This an add-on module which allows you enable Search and Share in edit fields of Chrome
    AND Search in Incognito mode.

If Text Aide is installed as well, Define, Dial & Search+ will also be available.

Available in Xposed repository

You can find the apk on the Play store. Unless I'm missing what you need.

I've unpublished it from the Play store. So new users will no longer be able to access it.

I'll provide the last apk soon and also reply to some of the queries that were posted earlier.

Good to know this app is still helping out some people :p
    Hi guys! After a long break, I've started to feel a bit better and resumed work again.
    A new version of Text Aide has been released with some bug fixes and improvements. I'll start working on the feature requests now:)

P.S. - I broke my phone. So, there might be more bugs due to lack of testing. Please report them and I'll try to fix them ASAP