Find Your Device:
Or Continue to Thread: Porting Android to Gear 2
1st August 2016, 09:21 AM
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7,055

Donate to Me
More
Moving on
So, I'm sorry to tell you this, guys, but the day has finally come.

Some months ago, I started having some issues with my Gear Neo. I would flash anything, and the watch would stop flashing midway dropping a "failed" message on Odin, or wouldn't boot after flashing. After a lot of trying, I finally was able to bring it back to life, but sometimes, the watch would still randomly reboot, show random force closes, and sudden battery drains. The reason for this is that the flash chip in my watch was slowly dying and corrupting the data inside. Those problems have only gone worse, to the point where it can't stay running for more than a minute without dying. I've been testing it over and over again and the result is always the same: I can zero out an entire partition, and read it back and see that some parts get zeroed, and some others read 4, 6, or random characters. That and the kernel dropping I/O errors all the time in dmesg show what that means: after more than a thousand kernels and systems flashed, the flash chip finally gave up.

I've thought of getting another one to replace it, but my life has changed dramatically and I don't have much time to work on anything lately, and if I were to buy another watch, I think money would be better spent in something newer after all.

I started this project 20 months ago, with no idea on how to make Android run, a very limited set of skills, and without knowing if I'd ever get anything running in the watch. Finally we ended up with a mostly complete Android Wear experience, iterating through 3 major Wear versions on a watch which was never designed to run it, and with an amazing community helping each other with all issues that have arised through time.

It's been really fun working on this, and I'm really, deeply thankful for each and every person in this forum which has participated in any way with this project, either making videos, reporting issues or just helping others.

So, to everyone, since I can't mention the more than 500 persons I was mentioning in this post, THANK YOU, I really hope we'll meet again in another project!
I'll be in the Gear S forum trying to make this damned, horribly programmed, and full of issues watch behave
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to biktor_gj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biktor_gj Ad-Free