[APP] Challenger Comics Viewer

Search This thread

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
Hi! After using the app for a few days, I found just one problem. Sometimes, when I select a comic from the library to open, the app just close itself. No error is displayed. If I open it again, the comic just open like normal.
Is there anything I can do to help track down and kill this (I believe) little bug?
For reference, I´m using a Google Pixel C, stock, no modifications (yet ;) ) and the comics with this error are plain cbz files, created without any compression using Winrar.

Edit: Looks like the test version from your post #300 don't suffer from this issue. I will test it a little more, but since I installed it, I have not seen the problem even once. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Hi! After using the app for a few days, I found just one problem. Sometimes, when I select a comic from the library to open, the app just close itself. No error is displayed. If I open it again, the comic just open like normal.
Is there anything I can do to help track down and kill this (I believe) little bug?
For reference, I´m using a Google Pixel C, stock, no modifications (yet ;) ) and the comics with this error are plain cbz files, created without any compression using Winrar.

Edit: Looks like the test version from your post #300 don't suffer from this issue. I will test it a little more, but since I installed it, I have not seen the problem even once. Thanks in advance!
Did you notice some repro steps (like for instance: the problem occurs only when you exit the app from library, and then restart the app) ?
How often the problem occurs ? Everytime, or only sometime ?
What kind of options did you set ? For instance, did you set the "Autoload" option (to open automatically Library on start-up).
What is your device and Android version ?

Thanks for your help.

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
Did you notice some repro steps (like for instance: the problem occurs only when you exit the app from library, and then restart the app) ?
How often the problem occurs ? Everytime, or only sometime ?
What kind of options did you set ? For instance, did you set the "Autoload" option (to open automatically Library on start-up).
What is your device and Android version ?

Thanks for your help.

Hi!
I noticed it happened every time I opened one comic from a folder with more than about 40 comics.
But since I started using the test version from your post #300, it didn´t happened again. I can say it´s fixed for me in this version.
If it helps, I have it configurated to open in the library and don´t display the home screen.
My device is one Google Pixel C, using the latest Marshmallow, stock, no modifications.
And one more thing! There are a few errors in translation to my language (Brazilian portuguese). Is there a way for me to correct the translation for you?

And again, thanks a lot!

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Hi!
I noticed it happened every time I opened one comic from a folder with more than about 40 comics.
But since I started using the test version from your post #300, it didn´t happened again. I can say it´s fixed for me in this version.
If it helps, I have it configurated to open in the library and don´t display the home screen.
My device is one Google Pixel C, using the latest Marshmallow, stock, no modifications.
And one more thing! There are a few errors in translation to my language (Brazilian portuguese). Is there a way for me to correct the translation for you?

And again, thanks a lot!

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm glad to see the problem is solved in latest test version.

About translation errors, if you want help me translate the application, you can use crowdin.
Brazilian translation is here.
Don't hesitate to add/update entries.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warell

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
I'm glad to see the problem is solved in latest test version.

About translation errors, if you want help me translate the application, you can use crowdin.
Brazilian translation is here.
Don't hesitate to add/update entries.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks! I already fixed the word Library in all entries I could find (the correct translation is "Biblioteca" and it was "Livraria") :victory:
I will keep translating when I have some time!

Reactions: The Challenger

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks! I already fixed the word Library in all entries I could find (the correct translation is "Biblioteca" and it was "Livraria") :victory:
I will keep translating when I have some time!
I integrated your translation modifications.
They will be present in the next release.

Thanks for your help.

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v2.1.25).
This version contains :

• Added support to Mega (you can use "Open Mega" menu item)
  • Fixed minor bugs

To help me translate the application, you can use crowdin
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Warell

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
I published a new version (v2.1.25).
This version contains :

• Added support to Mega (you can use "Open Mega" menu item)
  • Fixed minor bugs

Thanks for your help.

Hi, The Challenger!

I found another little bug:
Some of my files have names with symbols not present in English, like the letter "ó". For example, I have one Justice League (cbz file) and inside it, I have files named "JL1 cópia 1.jpg" JL1 cópia2.jpg" etc.
And in my tests, every cbz or cbr I have with files with names like this, the app can´t show anything. When I open the comic, it just show one black screen and nothing else.
Can you please take a look at this? I know I can just uncompress and rename my files, but I really have hundreds of them, and the ammount of work to fix it by my side would be insane. :eek:

Thanks a lot in advance, once more!

EDIT: Since I already used the app for many hours and this bug just started now, I went to investigate a little more, and in my tests I can say it only happens in Android 7.0 (Nougat). My files with the same name structure were working fine in 6.0 Marshamallow. Don´t know if this can help to find the problem.

EDIT 2: I found now it only happens with CBZ files. CBR ones work fine, no matter the names of the files inside.

Last edited:

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Hi, The Challenger!

I found another little bug:
Some of my files have names with symbols not present in English, like the letter "ó". For example, I have one Justice League (cbz file) and inside it, I have files named "JL1 cópia 1.jpg" JL1 cópia2.jpg" etc.
And in my tests, every cbz or cbr I have with files with names like this, the app can´t show anything. When I open the comic, it just show one black screen and nothing else.
Can you please take a look at this? I know I can just uncompress and rename my files, but I really have hundreds of them, and the ammount of work to fix it by my side would be insane. :eek:

Thanks a lot in advance, once more!

EDIT: Since I already used the app for many hours and this bug just started now, I went to investigate a little more, and in my tests I can say it only happens in Android 7.0 (Nougat). My files with the same name structure were working fine in 6.0 Marshamallow. Don´t know if this can help to find the problem.

EDIT 2: I found now it only happens with CBZ files. CBR ones work fine, no matter the names of the files inside.

Hi Warell,

I will try to reproduce the problem on my side. I will use an Emulator because I don't have any Android 7 devices.
I will keep you updated once I reproduced it.

Thanks for your help.

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
Hi Warell,

I will try to reproduce the problem on my side. I will use an Emulator because I don't have any Android 7 devices.
I will keep you updated once I reproduced it.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your time!
For now, I just recompressed the series I'm reading into CBR and everything is working fine. Was really much easier than rename all pages (even if I used an app to mass rename, would consume an immense time).
I'm using one Google Pixel C. Don't know if it can generate any logs to help you find the cause of the problem.
Let me know if there is anything I can do here to help.
And thanks again for the great app!

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
Thank you for your time!
For now, I just recompressed the series I'm reading into CBR and everything is working fine. Was really much easier than rename all pages (even if I used an app to mass rename, would consume an immense time).
I'm using one Google Pixel C. Don't know if it can generate any logs to help you find the cause of the problem.
Let me know if there is anything I can do here to help.
And thanks again for the great app!

I reproduced the problem using an emulator (with latest Android 7 Rom).
I identified the problem. Now I have to fix it.
Once fixed, are you OK to validate the fix ? (using a test version).

Thanks for your help.

Warell

Jan 4, 2011
I reproduced the problem using an emulator (with latest Android 7 Rom).
I identified the problem. Now I have to fix it.
Once fixed, are you OK to validate the fix ? (using a test version).

Thanks for your help.

Hi! For sure, just let me know when the test version is available and I tell you if it's fixed here.

Thanks a lot!

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v2.1.26).
This version contains :

• Added options to set epub file size (in Options => Display => Book text size)
  • Reduced library load time
  • Improved user manual (in Options => System => About => User guide)
  • Fixed minor bugs

jerryshaw12

Nov 11, 2014
could you fix this? when i used cm 12.1 the icon looks crisp, but when i using miui 8 (5.0.2) it get blurry, my phone is redmi note 2 (1080p 5.5")

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-02-22-20-21-140_org.kill.geek.bdviewer.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-02-22-20-21-140_org.kill.geek.bdviewer.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
could you fix this? when i used cm 12.1 the icon looks crisp, but when i using miui 8 (5.0.2) it get blurry

That's right. But it's related to the Android version.
Android 5.1 (and beyond) supports vectorial icons, it means icons (if converted in vectorial icons) can looks crisp on all screen and all resolutions.
On older versions (Android 5.0 and below), the app is using simple image icons and it can be displayed blurry on large screens ...

So, on CM 12.1 (based on Android 5.1), the app will use vectorial icons.
And on your miui 8 (Android 5.0.2), the app will use simple image icons.

I don't know if it's possible to upgrade Android version on your miui 8. It will fix the problem but I don't know if you want to upgrade your device only for this problem ...

Reactions: jerryshaw12

The Challenger

Dec 13, 2011
I published a new version (v2.1.27).
This version contains :
  • Added Collection cover management (using folder.jpg file or using Set collection cover action)
  • Added User guide link in option view
  • Added Search action in User guide view
  • Added Privacy Policy link in About view
  • Updated translations
  • Fixed Previous page action in Simple Image view
  • Fixed Google drive file pages order
  • Fixed Google drive file listing
  • Fixed Galaxy S8 display (screen ratio)
  • Fixed Next file autoload (randomly occured)
  • Fixed ActionBar shadow (seems to appear only on LG devices with Android 6+)
  • Fixed minor bugs

dardack

Feb 14, 2011
My old comic reader no longer supports gdrive. I like this one and am willing to donate, however, you say CB7 is supported but 90% of my comics on Google Drive are CB7 and non are listed when I click on go to web.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I published a comics viewer application on Android Market :
    The application name is "Challenger Comics Viewer" : https://market.android.com/details?id=org.kill.geek.bdviewer

Supported format are :
    • JPG
    • PNG
    • GIF
    • BMP
    • WebP (Android 4.0+)
    • PDF
    • ePUB
    • CBZ/ZIP
    • CBR/RAR
    • CB7/7Z
    • CBT/TAR
    • DjVu

Main features are :
    • Automatic page loading
    • Zoom using multi-touch
    • Vertical/Horizontal scrolling
    • 2 display modes (Simple View which displays pages one by one and Multiple Image View which displays all pages one after the other)
    • Scale filters: Bilinear, Bicubic, Lanczos4
    • Library with covers displayed to quickly open comics (multiple kind of views available)
    • Borders cropping
    • Reading from left to right or from right to left
    • Actions can be customized
    • Switch automatically to next issue when last page of comics is displayed
    • Single page and "2 page" display mode
    • Included filter to improve displayed images quality
    • Manual scrolling by moving finger on screen
    • Autoscrolling by long pressing screen
    • Fit to Width/Height display
    • Multiple Image preview type
    • Option to direct access to page
    • Network acces (samba, webdav, ftp and sftp)
    • History management
    • Support multi-language (for now, english and french)
    • Border can be display over Bitmaps to easily identify pages
    • Contrast/Brightness/Gamma management
    • Screen brightness management
    • Application can be moved to SD Card
    • Cached data can be stored on internal memory or SD Card

Files could be on device or on network.
    Supported network protocols are :
    • Google Drive
    • SkyDrive/OneDrive
    • Mega
    • Ubooquity (http://vaemendis.net/ubooquity)
    • DLNA/Upnp
    • OPDS (beta)
    • Windows/SAMBA/CIFS
    • DropBox
    • Webdav (like box.com, 4shared.com, alwaysdata.com, ...)
    • FTP
    • SFTP

For people who have no access to Android market, here is a link to the apk file (Version 2.1.28) : Apk file (a mirror is also available here)

I need some user feedbacks.
    Is there any kind testers which wants to try it ?

Thanks in advance.

--
    The Challenger
    http://challengerviewer.wordpress.com
    I made a new test version. It's available here.
    It contains following changes:
    • Manage CBT files
    • Manage CB7 files
    • Fixed minor bugs

Don't hesitate to give it a try and give me feedbacks. Especially about CB7 file management, I think loading time is too long ...

Thanks for your help.
    I published a new version (v2.1.3).
    This version contains :

• Open DropBox
    • You can create shortcuts to comics (on Android Home) using long press on Comics in Library view
    • Bug fixes

Thanks for your help.
    I published a new version (v2.0.8).
    This version contains :

• Support turkish (Thanks to Çagdas)
    • Fix some crash on some devices (Thanks to Halfey)
    • Fix page sort (on some comics, cover is displayed at the end)
    • Minor Bug fixes

I need help to translate the application in other languages. If you are OK, don't hesitate to send me a message.

Thanks !
    I published a new version (v2.1.15).
    This version contains :

• Manage CBT files
    • Manage CB7 files
    • Fixed minor bugs

Thanks for your help.