[ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonRom KitKat [d2att/d2cri/d2mtr/d2usc]

Search This thread
Why don't you just link to the Framework-res I made for this ROM so for those who are using it right now will be able to flash it and have their CPU go into sleep mode correctly - I did email you about it - It works, so until you figure out whatever it is you were trying to do, just link to my Framework for the time being to help these folks out.

Page 56 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2634641&page=56
I know, and I appreciate the work. Like I said, real life got in the way for a little while, and the PMs on this site (I have several) were on the list. ;) This will be a good fix for the short term, and I'll see about getting that put together this week. Thanks!

Right2Bear

Jun 3, 2013
I am running an older nightly on mine
Carbon-kk-nightly-20140828-0903
Well the issue is the camera crashes when you try and open it. It used to work but at some point stopped. I only know because my daughter is using the phone since she broke hers for the third time. She also has had issues at times where the battery drains really quickly. Any ideas? Should I download and install the most recent nightly? help please
thanks
B3ar

Weekly builds of Carbon-KitKat, dated 03/17/2015:

Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2lte):
Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y54k671fzsb76r0/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7...-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte.zip.md5sum

As always, these builds are provided without support of any kind, make a nandroid backup before installing, flash at your own risk, I accept no responsibility if your phone dies, blows up, or conquers the known universe, yada yada yada.
As promised, here's the link to the post which has a patch that eliminates the Google Play Services wakelock issue. If you already have this version of Carbon installed, simply download the patch file, copy it to your phone and flash it from recovery:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60326383&postcount=554

Much thanks to @ocd_amp who cooked it up and provided it to us! (I'll also update the post itself with a link to the patch.)

Now, I was going to compile another version of Carbon that had the fix cooked into it, but I ran into a problem: I can't get the d2lte version to compile anymore. It throws up errors that aborts the build. (The HTC One M8 version still compiles just fine, so it's definitely something related to d2lte.) Funny thing is, it was compiling just fine last Thursday, but when I re-synced the code and tried compiling on Friday, boom! it started failing. :( So, until I can track down the problem, further custom builds for the S3 are going to have to wait. (Not that there are any pressing issues that would warrant upgrading from my 3/17/2015 build; it's more of a "I'm gonna figure this out if it kills me, dammit!" intellectual challenge at this point. Since KitKat is now pretty much ignored, and Carbon-KK appears to be essentially abandoned, I'm not hopeful of a fix magically appearing any time soon, if ever, so if it's going to be fixed, I'm the one who's going to have to do it.)

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
Martin thanks for you response - I have been very busy to reply in this thread lately.

IMPORTANT INFO. I advise all users to read Carefully before posting.

EDIT : WARNING : Samsung Has Backup Partitions where your NVData (IMEI EFS Etc) goes. In all their Wisdom, The Backup Partitions were Zeroed by Default from Factory, leaving only the Functional Partition with important EFS Data on your Devices. It is HIGHLY Advisable to use EFS Professional and ADB to do an NVBackup of your WORKING Set BEFORE You do any Flashing to ensure your IMEI will not get Wiped to Zero. If your EFS gets Corrupted, and an attempt is made to Restore from Not-Backed-Up Partitions, you will end up with headaches you are not ready for.

D2LTE has been deprecated - Cyanogenmod is now focusing on CM12 and have gone back to doing separate builds due to the differences in the way Boot/RIL operations were handled so it is back to D2ATT for Galaxy I747/M AFAIK.

Unified builds had many issues - One being the Radio from 4.1.1/4.1.2 - So although the Bootloader from Stock 4.1.1/4.1.2 allows for Cyanogenmod/based KK 4.4.4 to be Flashed without checking signatures (odd) the Radio will fail.

To update the Radio, YOU MUST Flash the matching Bootloader 4.3+ (4.4.2 Recommended, Check SAMOBILE Website) which essentially Introduces KNOX into the equation. However, the latest Official Samsung Firmware 4.4.2 - As far as I know for Fido customers does not lock the Bootloader and CM 12.1 Lollipop D2ATT Nightlies can be flashed Re-Enabling the RIL functions once again. You can check this by Dialing *#*#4636#*#*

So if by some anomaly, you were on 4.1.1-4.1.2 Bootloader/Radio - and you were able to get LTE Data, You need to do nothing. Just Flash Framework-Res I created and your Wakelock issues will be solved..

If you do NOT get Data, you will need to ODIN Flash to the latest 4.4.2 for your respective Carrier. Be Careful though, I do not have much information on U.S. based Carriers but AT&T, VERIZON, TMO are known to play Dirty and Introduce Locked Bootloaders. AT&T Radios are RAT Locked, while Roger's/Fido are NOT.

A Locked Bootloader will prevent you from installing ANY custom ROM. Also, Carrier/Manufacturer will NEVER Unlock your Bootloader and both Samsung and Carrier will give you a Run-Around-The-Round-About - But they can be defeated by going directly to a Third-party.
So Make sure you guys READ READ READ about your Respective Bootloaders.

A LOCKED Bootloader will Prevent you from installing Custom ROM and make it difficult to attain Permanent Root.
A LOCKED Bootloader after 4.3 WILL contain KNOX.
An UNLOCKED Bootloader is NOT the same thing as a CARRIER OR SIM UNLOCK.
An UNLOCKED Bootloader after 4.3 WILL contain KNOX.

Do NOT Downgrade your Bootloader / Modem if you are on 4.3+ - This means, DO NOT ODIN Flash an older stock ROM, and DO NOT Flash older Bootloader/Radio Zips from Recovery if you are on 4.3 Boot/Radio - The only way is UP after this. Downgrading will Brick the device. Upgrading will KNOX your Device. Stay or Move Up Only.

There is a Difference between Custom ROM Android versions vs Carrier or STOCK ROM Android versions. STOCK ROM Versions contain more than just the ROM. They can contain Bootloaders, Radios, CSC, Etc. So when I mention 4.x, I am talking about STOCK ROM, which is Flashable ONLY through ODIN. Be CAREFUL.

Once KNOX is Tripped, It CANNOT Be Reversed. If you are about Warranty, Leave it. Although everyone should already have had their Warranty expired by now.
You WILL Trip your KNOX by ODIN Flashing TWRP Recovery - I did it. I am not concerned about this at all. Other than that, it will have no Ill-effect on your Device if you are not using it in a Corporate Environment that Requires the use of a KNOX Enabled Device.

If you are SURE You need to upgrade - and you are on 4.1.1 - You can SIM Unlock your Phone First, but be sure to turn PersoSHA 256 back to ON position.
If you are on 4.1.2, you can Downgrade Flash to 4.1.1 to do this process. This information is widely available all over XDA.

Once you Upgrade to Carrier ROM 4.4.2 with its New Bootloader, and Radio, you will NOT Be able to SIM Unlock your Device. You will have to Pay to get it unlocked.

After your Radio update, LTE Data should work without issue.

Remember to Read carefully, and plan ahead in order to avoid embarrassing and costly mistakes.

Thanks for keeping it going MJ, best Regards!

Last edited:
Reactions: MJPollard
Another interesting thing: CyanogenMod appears to be removing builds from the CM11 tree that have official CM12 builds, including d2lte (now d2att, et al). However, I was able to hack an entry for d2lte into android_vendor_cm/vendorsetup.sh, and lo and behold, I was able to make a complete CM11 build without errors. So, whatever changed that's preventing a d2lte Carbon build from completing, it's affecting just Carbon, not CM. Just one more thing to add to the list. :)

Reactions: ocd_amp
MY CUSTOM UNOFFICIAL BUILDS OF CARBON-KITKAT

Changelog:
- all: All current commits that are common to both CM11 and Carbon-KK.
- m8: Fix for speaker squealing and then "buzzing" (until phone is rebooted) after a ringtone plays.
- m8: Fix for Google Play Services wakelock preventing phone from going into deep sleep.

----------

HTC One M8 (m8) - 06/23/2015:
Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y75avem687i34ay/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150623-0809-m8.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/phvjw9c6jgaxuui/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150623-0809-m8.zip.md5sum

----------

Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2lte) - 03/17/2015:
Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y54k671fzsb76r0/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7...-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte.zip.md5sum

NOTE: Currently, I am unable to compile up to date d2lte releases due to a weird build error that I recently started getting. Until this is resolved, the 3/17/2015 release is the most up to date version that I can provide, with apologies.

There is, however, a fix for the Google Play Services wakelock issue in the form of a patch (thanks to ocd_amp) that can be flashed (via recovery) on top of the 3/17/2015 version. DO NOT FLASH THIS PATCH IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING MY CUSTOM CARBON-KK BUILD DATED 3/17/2015!!!

Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6...-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte_Flashable.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/g...CIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte_Flashable.zip.md5sum

----------

As always, these builds are provided without support of any kind, make a nandroid backup before installing, flash at your own risk, I accept no responsibility if your phone dies, blows up, or conquers the known universe, batteries not included, void where prohibited, yada yada yada.

Last edited:

mn1968

Nov 7, 2011
Hi.
I just got an S3 (i747) and installed this ROM instantly. It's my favorite of all the ones I've tried (on other phones). I've noticed a glitch, however, when I use Wi-Fi then turn it off. I can go the rest of the day without Wi-Fi being on but when I check battery stats, it shows that Wi-Fi has been on all day long...even though the button is clearly turned off. Rebooting fixes the issue.
Any solution to this without rebooting? I can't confirm this yet but it seems it may lead to some battery drain. I have flashed the fix for the Google Services wakelock and the phone does sleep as expected....it just shows that Wi-Fi was on even when I know it wasn't.
Thanks for any advice, and especially for the ROM.

cLogic

Sep 13, 2012
Montreal
Hi.
I just got an S3 (i747) and installed this ROM instantly. It's my favorite of all the ones I've tried (on other phones). I've noticed a glitch, however, when I use Wi-Fi then turn it off. I can go the rest of the day without Wi-Fi being on but when I check battery stats, it shows that Wi-Fi has been on all day long...even though the button is clearly turned off. Rebooting fixes the issue.
Any solution to this without rebooting? I can't confirm this yet but it seems it may lead to some battery drain. I have flashed the fix for the Google Services wakelock and the phone does sleep as expected....it just shows that Wi-Fi was on even when I know it wasn't.
Thanks for any advice, and especially for the ROM.

check wifi advanced settings
it is probably "always on" and "never sleep" because this device and all newer devices should be set this way

turning wifi/data/sync off and on periodically does NOT save battery on modern devices running jellybean 4.1 or better

in fact it actually uses more battery cuz apps try to update/sync and stay alive/awake longer, using more cpu cycles, waiting for their request for wifi/data to timeout

I used juice defender and green power prior to jb 4.1 .. but they were just killing battery after that .. battery saver apps have been rendered obsolete by 4.1+

d2cri?

I'd love to update my wife's i747 for her. She's running a much older version of carbon.
My 3/17 release with the Google Play Services patch is probably the most up to date it's ever going to get, considering that KitKat has pretty much been abandoned in favor of Lollipop by both Carbon and CyanogenMod. :(

EDIT: I lied. I was finally able to get d2lte to compile again, so I made one last release that incorporates the Google Play Services wakelock fix. See below.

Last edited:
MARTIN'S CUSTOM UNOFFICIAL
CARBON-KITKAT BUILDS

Changelog:

• all: All current commits that are common to both CM11 and Carbon-KK.
  • all: Fix for Google Play Services wakelog preventing phone from going into deep sleep.
  • m8: Fix for speaker squealing and then "buzzing" (until phone is rebooted) after a ringtone plays.
NOTE: Unless something drastic changes or another major bug appears, this will probably be my last release of Carbon-KK. CyanogenMod is winding down CM11 and the Carbon team has moved on to Lollipop, thus I don't foresee anything else happening in the KitKat world. :(

----------

HTC One M8 (m8) - 07/12/2015:
Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/symp7xlyaa7cejr/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150712-1544-m8.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cmr57azz94nsq6r/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150712-1544-m8.zip.md5sum

----------

Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2lte) - 07/12/2015:
Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8jds4xleugjnb0k/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150712-1319-d2lte.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3...-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150712-1319-d2lte.zip.md5sum

(I finally figured out why I couldn't build a new d2lte release: something got updated in my Linux VirtualBox image which prevented it. After rebuilding a new image without updating it, d2lte built without a hitch.)

Note that if you are running my 3/17 build, you do not have to dirty flash a newer version if you do not wish to do so. There is a fix for the Google Play Services wakelock issue in the form of a patch (thanks to ocd_amp) that can be flashed (via recovery) on top of the 3/17 version. DO NOT FLASH THIS PATCH IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING MY 3/17 BUILD!!!

Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6...-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte_Flashable.zip
MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/g...CIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte_Flashable.zip.md5sum

----------

As always, these builds are provided without support of any kind, make a nandroid backup before installing, flash at your own risk, I accept no responsibility if your phone dies, blows up, or conquers the known universe, batteries not included, void where prohibited, yada yada yada.

Best KK ROM available?

I tested all hardware except NFC (appears to work) and everything is working. Probably the only KK ROM still available for download that can claim this. Tested Working: Compass, GPS, 2g, 3g, 3g+, LTE, bluetooth, wifi, light sensor, camera front and back, camera flash, torch, camcorder with flash, quick recorder, screenshot with preview and delete in notification panel, screen recorder with audio in notification panel. Stable and fast as lightening (turning off all in Settings/Carbon Fibers/Persistence after first boot can save some aggravation during setup). I had a problem with GPS from dirty flash. Performed super wipe and all good.
Custom kernel dkp-aosp44-d2-20160805 works flawlessly. No wakelocks and has all the tweaks you'd want.

Last edited:
XDA lockhandle 4.4.4 Carbon

Replaces default AOSP lockhandle with cooler one. (settings for Carbon lockhandle and user custom image unchanged):

-download and rename to "Keyguard.apk"
-copy & past to /systems/priv-app/
-change permissions
-reboot

XDA lockhandle image thanks to -CALIBAN666-

Attachments

• tmp_9346-keyguard.carbonxmod833418950.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Wallpapers-Carbon.zip
    357.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2016-09-18-21-33-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-18-21-33-02.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

newbe1droidx

Jan 21, 2011
Dallas
Replaces default AOSP lockhandle with cooler one. (settings for Carbon lockhandle and user custom image unchanged):

-download and rename to "keyguard.apk"
-copy & past to /systems/priv-app/
-change permissions
-reboot

XDA lockhandle image thanks to -CALIBAN666-

What should I change permissions to please.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using XDA Labs

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
Something is broken with the Mediafire links for CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150712-1319-d2lte.zip and CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-0648-d2lte.zip when I try to download

For me it returns a different MD5sum every time, so it formats the system ROM and then aborts shortly after triggering the install

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonRom KitKat [d2att/d2cri/d2mtr/d2usc], ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    CarbonDev, BigShotRob22
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2014-02-03
    Last Updated 2014-06-07
    Weekly builds of Carbon-KitKat, dated 03/17/2015:

Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2lte):

HTC One M8 (m8):
    Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/p3tube4re96vm9v/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-1856-m8.zip
    MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6gb8jplvg6bpa4/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150317-1856-m8.zip.md5sum

As always, these builds are provided without support of any kind, make a nandroid backup before installing, flash at your own risk, I accept no responsibility if your phone dies, blows up, or conquers the known universe, yada yada yada.

EDIT: There is an issue with this build regarding Google Play Services wakelocks draining the battery. If you're experiencing this problem, download the patch from the following post and flash it via recovery (it will replace the original frameworks-res.apk file with the patched one):

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60326383&postcount=554

Much thanks to @ocd_amp for cooking up the fix and providing the patch!
    As promised, here is an unofficial compile of Carbon KitKat (d2lte), dated 03/08/2015, based on the most up to date source:

Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dpcqnt67ty8f3zb/CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150308-1313-d2lte.zip
    MD5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1...-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20150308-1313-d2lte.zip.md5sum

Note that this is a straight compile from source, with no modifications, additions, or enhancements (I'm still a ways away from being able to make a customized ROM). Also, since the CM11 tree has been effectively frozen, this will probably be a "final" release, unless something changes that would necessitate a new release. Finally, note that I am only supplying this as a courtesy to other Carbon ROM users; I'm not offering any kind of support. As usual, you're on your own, no guarantees, make a backup before doing anything, flash at your own risk, yada yada yada. :)
    are there any logs saying whats different between the nighties. also what kernel would you recommend for optimum battery life.

I get phenomenal battery life on Quantum kernel. Here is the latest:

http://d-h.st/Wcc

and bt is working for me on 6-17 nightly.
    Hmmm...same result! Unless you have a different/ newer zip file. I found (2), but it didn't work

Here's a link to the one I have in my dropbox that works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssesi7lzdxkethn/KitKat_Camera.zip