Replacement AT&T Note7 *Supposedly* Overheated on a Southwest Flight 10/4

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Here's the most sane article I've read about yesterday's incident. An excerpt.

"I have been monitoring some claims in China of the...Note7 with the 'good' battery catching fire, but not a single one of these incidents has been traced back to Samsung," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. "So, for right now, we all need complete information before jumping to any conclusions. If it is verified that the phone is, in fact, a replacement phone, Samsung will have some major problems on its hands."​

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...t-corners-in-shipping-note7-replacements.html

Reactions: elcaro and winol

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
I think his "Iphone" statement was just a flippant remark. Worryingly this all seems to check out, nothing seems fake or looks fake. If the CPSC see this as a fault I can see the Note 7 being completely withdrawn and units being recalled without being given out again. It is also worrying the other reports from China, it makes you think these may have been genuine.

Flippant.... lol.. he was holding his new iphone in the interview i saw. He took his wallet and voted. Honestly, I would probably be just as goofy as him on TV had my phone popped on an airplane forcing all those people to change plans. He probably spent a couple hours feeling like the man on the moon there with all the stares from the other passengers and airport people.

Reactions: B3501

notefreak

Jul 27, 2016
Just... no to another recall. No other company would do it. I am not giving up my phone again just like that. So stop with another recall crap.

B3501

Mar 4, 2015
Here's the most sane article I've read about yesterday's incident. An excerpt.

"I have been monitoring some claims in China of the...Note7 with the 'good' battery catching fire, but not a single one of these incidents has been traced back to Samsung," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. "So, for right now, we all need complete information before jumping to any conclusions. If it is verified that the phone is, in fact, a replacement phone, Samsung will have some major problems on its hands."​

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...t-corners-in-shipping-note7-replacements.html
Fair enough, it's all speculation at this point to be honest. Noone know what caused the "fire plane" (except maybe Samsung and the CPSC).

teegunn

Dec 14, 2010
There is no other phone that really comes close to what the N7 is overall. All the other phones have smaller displays and far bigger bodies and way more bezel. The new pixel for example looks like something from 4 years ago in size and build IMHO. The larger iPhone is a hog - tons of bezel. Nothing offers the build and sleekness along with the S Pen that the N7 does. If there were other options that were as good overall then that is one thing, but there aren't. I'm not switching unless they make me. I am on a new N7, my old one being sent back to Samsung. The transfer process was a PITA as it always is to get everything set up the same. I think I spent a solid 8 hours getting the phone set up like my old N7. And I transferred all my texts, which all take a while to get indexed properly. I am not doing this process again. My original N7 was flawless honestly, it had great battery life and never got hot. I suppose I don't have any way of really "knowing" it didn't have a bad battery, but when I originally put the IMEI into the Samsung check tool when they first came out with it my phone came up as one without a bad battery issue. A week later Samsung decided that ALL N7's sold before Sept 15th were to be recalled, so I had no choice. In any case, they will have to pry my N7 out of my hands as it is far and away the best phone available and the best phone I have ever owned.

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
There is no other phone that really comes close to what the N7 is overall. All the other phones have smaller displays and far bigger bodies and way more bezel. The new pixel for example looks like something from 4 years ago in size and build IMHO. The larger iPhone is a hog - tons of bezel. Nothing offers the build and sleekness along with the S Pen that the N7 does. If there were other options that were as good overall then that is one thing, but there aren't. I'm not switching unless they make me. I am on a new N7, my old one being sent back to Samsung. The transfer process was a PITA as it always is to get everything set up the same. I think I spent a solid 8 hours getting the phone set up like my old N7. And I transferred all my texts, which all take a while to get indexed properly. I am not doing this process again. My original N7 was flawless honestly, it had great battery life and never got hot. I suppose I don't have any way of really "knowing" it didn't have a bad battery, but when I originally put the IMEI into the Samsung check tool when they first came out with it my phone came up as one without a bad battery issue. A week later Samsung decided that ALL N7's sold before Sept 15th were to be recalled, so I had no choice. In any case, they will have to pry my N7 out of my hands as it is far and away the best phone available and the best phone I have ever owned.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that.. but the jury is back out. As to the text thing.. This app works great and takes minutes.. Just copy the backup folder over to new phone or make it save backups to your SD card. Free too.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

Reactions: teegunn

CerveCesar

Dec 20, 2015
Canton, MI
www.youtube.com
You give me a link from totaly different case, not the one from this accident.
Here is only on picture from the front , not back.
Malo se bockas ;)
I shared the article and the video was from a Chinese man who recorded his phone catching fire. I don't think anyone has shared on social media the southwest flight fire pictures yet

Sent from my SM-N930F using XDA-Developers mobile app

Until the investigation is completed by Fire department at the location, FAA accident investigators because it was on an aircraft, the CPSC which are also going to want to confirm it and Samsung themselves, we won't know if the phone was previously damaged, if it really WAS one of the new batch, or if there's a further problem.

I will not be worrying about it. Samsung has done the right thing once already and if it's deemed a further problem, I have no doubt it will be handled.

demon510

Sep 23, 2008
Frisco
From what I see from the Verge is that this is an AT&T replacement "safe" Note 7 that came within an AT&T special box that was manufactured in Korea. The manufactured in Korea raised a flag with me since the Note 7s that had the battery issues were manufactured in Korea. The special AT&T box was odd to me since all other carriers went with the stock Note 7 box, which got me to look at the label closer. The label was ordered differently from the stock Note 7 box labels and was labeled "Made in Korea".

Are AT&T customers unlucky in getting Note 7s that were made in Korea all because AT&T wanted a special box?

Seems that the replacement Note 7s that were made in China are showing that they are truly safe. While the replacement Note 7s that were made in Korea are still questionable.

PS - I know we need to see the results from Samsung after they look at the device. There are few cases that users are causing issues like a case with a lady in China that put an unknown heat source onto the Note 7 case with Note 7 within the case and caused the device's battery to smoke and burn. You can tell from that case that the user put a heat source on the case (looks like a lit lighter burn). So yes we will have to wait for the results. Still, another Note 7 that was "made in Korea" had battery burn issues.

I hope that is not the case, my Verizon Note 7 says made in Korea. Also I have two labels stacked on my box. One with a label with the black square over another with a black square.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The funny thing is the burnt phone looks like a black phone but the box that he show that has the black Square says silver titanium. I don't know if that makes a difference but it looks black phone to me but it's a silver titanium in a box.

The phone on the floor in the aisle of the Southwest jet is definitely black. Interesting catch about the box saying Silver Titanium. Your post also made me think. OK, so a Note7 episode supposedly caused "pops and smoke" severe enough to evacuate a plane at the gate yet there's a crystal clear HD still photo of the offending Note7 after the incident sitting alone in the middle of the aisle. From the angle the photo was taken it's from a port side aisle seat. Who took the picture and how did the person who submitted that photo and the photo of the purported "safe" box get it to the media outlets so quickly after event occurred? God help the person who made this claim if his "safe" silver Note7 is in its box while he traveled with a recalled black Note7 causing all the harm it did and the PR nightmare it created for Samsung.

30137898625_97c00c2134_n.jpg

ert69

Jan 24, 2011
IMO this is definitely a hoax. When I read the article it made me wanna cancel my preorder. Then I read this thread and all makes sense.

Apple is behind it.
Explosions only happen in the US and China.
The box says silver phone and on the pic theres black.
Timing.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using XDA-Developers mobile app

nomailx

Nov 18, 2011
The FBI and CPSC are two completely separate organizations.

Bah, for foreigners, you FEDS all look the same!

xD

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

there are people faking injury just to claim insurance which is already a fact , by the way have you seen brian green interview ? he look happy rather then shock to me , who the hell can still smile when his phone went up in smoke before going on a plane and causing evacuation , unless his phone blows up on a regularly basis, still its just for discussion purpose only , no right or wrong , interesting to see this case outcome ..http://www.cbsnews.com/news/samsung-note-7-phone-emits-smoke-sets-off-scare-on-southwest-flight/

I checked that Link.

The guy's reaction is normal. It's a reaction you have when suddenly you get all media attention toward you. In fact, watching the guy's reaction cleared all speculations about conspiracy theories. He's excited to make the news and share is astonishment.

Also a phone that burns may shock you for like 5 minutes and that's it. No one got hurt, and it's all fine. It's just a phone.

Sheon849

Oct 9, 2010
Honolulu
I just dropped 900$ on mine today at best buy. I hope it's ok this is the best phone I have owned I would hate to go back to iPhone 7.

It does make me a little nervous now tho.

coltrix

Oct 17, 2015
F Samsung and VZW

here's my dilema i got 2 note 7s through Verizon they REFUSE to replace my 2 phones due to a past due bill.....i have been with vzw for 5 years now always paid the bill on time now there is a safety recall they don't want to help .....sorry i am not paying my bill till this is replaced. i even called Samsung the first guy i talked to said it shouldn't matter if your bill is past due or not its a safety recall he said he will get in contact with vzw and email me a week later....now its been two weeks later still no response called today said there is nothing i can do contact vzw i went off. she ultimately hung up on me so i called back and said we only replace phone that were bought straight out cash i told them we'll ill just keep my phones and hope they don't explode

lesson learned
do not buy Samsung cust svc is **** they dont care about their customers...
do not use Verizon their over priced and dont care about their customers safety

going with the google pixel next

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't care how many times Samsung do a recall, if I have to go through it another 10 times I will oblige, because I simply do not want any other phone. The alternatives just don't match my needs. A 5.7" AMOLED screen and S-Pen with removable storage and equal camera specs.

I don't want to downgrade!

I will accept the (still small risk) of a battery fire on my new version here, because I still maintain this is the best phone launched in 2016.

Whatever, if you're still insisting you can only trust Samsung at this point (when they were not transparent about the real issue early on and slow to respond to confirm now) then there's no point in talking. The fanboy-ism on here. Holy crap.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

The list jumped from 3 to 7 in the last six hours. I'm going to bed now, maybe when I get up we'll be at 14 so I would like a list. (and watch the same three Delusional fanboys here say "it's not a big deal! I don't believe it! Something is fishy! Why is it always the Verge? They must be paid off."

The usual "Must be a fanboy" rhetoric when someone is passionate about a phone or a phone manufacturer. You should save that kind of talk for the cheap forums or the comments section of The Verge or something.

Understand that XDA is a community of people that ARE passionate about their particular phone or OEM. For anyone to come along and insult that is completely unacceptable.
    To be honest, I think you owe the actual victims (people whose phones have exploded) an apology or at least admit you were wrong. Because from day one, the mentality among a few here is victim blaming. I wasn't on here going at everyone I was just calling out the three or four who as recently as four hours ago were still "people are lying, I hate the media for spinning lies, this phone is fine."

Again, you are swinging this around to skirt the subject. My beef with you is your attitude and the way you insult people. Have a civil debate and respect that not everyone shares your opinion. Even in this reply you still can't help yourself can you?

As for admitting I was wrong? How was I wrong? All I have been saying over the past few days is wait for facts and stop jumping on the hyperbole bandwagon like the media has. They are doing considerable damage to Samsung and people like you just don't get why this upsets some people here. Telling people they are fanboys or have some mental issue because they are upset and worried about all this fiasco is what you should be ashamed of.

We now know that this phone has been taken off sale. Samsung have made that decision to protect their name. Because the back stabbing media will never stop until they have some sort of smug victory. I don't need to apologise to the 'victims', what would I be saying sorry for? I am also a victim because I don't get to keep the one phone I really love.

I wonder if this could kill off the Note 7 completely? This feels almost unreal - like a set-up by a competitor. I have never felt like all the accurate info on this has been given to us since everything unfolded with battery-gate.

Funny, I thought I was the only person thinking conspiracy!

I find it odd that a lot of these users with issues claimed they've switched to iphone right after the incident. I mean, why would one switches an entire ecosystem just because an Android phone (Note 7 in this case) catches fire? Wouldn't most of them switch to ANOTHER Android device?

:rolleyes:
    Yep. Note 7 is gg wp.

Conspiracy or not, it's working.

But this said, I also find this claim a little "too corny".

The guy is on a plane, (last place you'd want a smartphone to explode). He turned off the Phone. It's an exchanged phone. And STILL it exploded.

This is like Apple's dream. If they'd "staged" it, they couldn't do any better.

There's a serious war here gentlemen.

Also it's insteresting that these phones only explode in the US or China. (All other countries were proven as hoax).