[ROOT][TWRP][ROM]Samsung Galaxy on5 [MetroPCS/T-Mobile]

Search This thread

rgdelrosario

Jul 11, 2013
Really trying to get this Root Essential's Adoptable Storage working

I suggest getting root essentials and enabling adoptable storage. Wow I can't believe Samsung would remove such an awesome feature. I have so many big ole games on this phone now and I still have 2 GB free. Amazing how well that feature works.

Sent from my SM-G550T1]

Hey, thanks for the help so far! Still trying to get this thing working. What I've done (in order):

1.) I'm on MetroPCS' On5's Stock Rom, rooted.

2.) Only installed Root Essentials (and SU).

3.) Went into Root Essentials' Adoptable Storage and Adopted 50% (only a 2GB SD), flashed over that zip on the prompted website, went back into Root Essentials' Adoptable Storage and Adopted 50% again and prompted a reboot, which I did.

4.) Went back into Root Essentials to only set install location on Auto...

Now, I'm back on the home screen and there is a notification to set up SD Card, did you all ignore this and swipe it away? Because, I've done both (2 separate do overs), ignored it and set up the SD as internal storage.

When I've ignored it, my Storage in Settings looks similar to y'alls screen where "SD Card" is right below "Internal Storage" AND "SD Card" is below "Portable Storage." However, when I download new apps it is taking memory just from "Internal Storage", and I verify that through Settings/Storage. And, I've downloaded like 5 different game apps.

When I've set up the SD as Internal Storage using the OS' setup wizard, my Storage in Settings does not look similar. "SD Card" AND "SD Card are right below each other under "Internal Storage." And, the bottom most "SD Card" says Not inserted.

Please, let me know what y'all did after my 4th step. Thanks in advance!

strykyn

Sep 25, 2016
bradenton
I suggest getting root essentials and enabling adoptable storage. Wow I can't believe Samsung would remove such an awesome feature. I have so many big ole games on this phone now and I still have 2 GB free. Amazing how well that feature works.

Sent from my SM-G550T1]

Hey, thanks for the help so far! Still trying to get this thing working. What I've done (in order):

1.) I'm on MetroPCS' On5's Stock Rom, rooted.

2.) Only installed Root Essentials (and SU).

3.) Went into Root Essentials' Adoptable Storage and Adopted 50% (only a 2GB SD), flashed over that zip on the prompted website, went back into Root Essentials' Adoptable Storage and Adopted 50% again and prompted a reboot, which I did.

4.) Went back into Root Essentials to only set install location on Auto...

Now, I'm back on the home screen and there is a notification to set up SD Card, did you all ignore this and swipe it away? Because, I've done both (2 separate do overs), ignored it and set up the SD as internal storage.

When I've ignored it, my Storage in Settings looks similar to y'alls screen where "SD Card" is right below "Internal Storage" AND "SD Card" is below "Portable Storage." However, when I download new apps it is taking memory just from "Internal Storage", and I verify that through Settings/Storage. And, I've downloaded like 5 different game apps.

When I've set up the SD as Internal Storage using the OS' setup wizard, my Storage in Settings does not look similar. "SD Card" AND "SD Card are right below each other under "Internal Storage." And, the bottom most "SD Card" says Not inserted.

Please, let me know what y'all did after my 4th step. Thanks in advance!

are you using the DEBLOATED rom from this thread? that DID NOT work for me...i had to revert to stock, then do the root essentialsd/adoptable storage thingy. had ALOT of hiccups ANY other way.
1. i reflashed to stock/ran thru initial phone setup.TWRP/rooted/dowloaded Root Essentials..,,THEN made a TWRP backup (so i have a completely stock.rooted/TWRP phone in case things went bonkers)
2. moved the TWRP backup to pc.
3. restarted phone..."settings/storage/sdcard and FORMATTED ENTIRE card to "PORTABLE".
4. reboot- nvermind the notification NAGGING you about "NEW SDCARD INSERTED".
5. Root Essentials/Storage tab/Adoptable Storage/"ADOPT"....enter "key".......choose percentage on the slider......click "ok" to download the zip
6. REBOOT PHONE INTO TWRP!!
7. TWRP/Install/"location of of the zip you downloaded above".....INSTALL IT!!
8. reboot phone..let it FULLY reboot. i dont know bout evry1 else..but this thing takes forever to reboot vs my lollipop (-) phones.
9. nvermind the notification NAGGING you about "NEW SDCARD INSERTED.
10. NOW step #5 AGAIN!!...reboot
11. nvermind the notification NAGGING you about "NEW SDCARD INSERTED.
12. Root Essentials/Storage/App Install Location-set to "AUTO"
13. reboot
13a. Root Essentials/Storage?Adoptable Storage?migrate data/SD CARD/MORE/Migrate (its only like 800 kb or so that gets migrated)
14. good to go!! now when you download an app..AFTER u indsall it...go to Root/Essentials/Storage/App Manager and click on the app you just installed. then click "TOOL" tab...then "App Info" tab. the very first "Storage" tab you see will tell you the size of the app, and WHERE its installed to. it puts them right where they should be (according to me anyway) according to "functionality". ie: Titanium Backup (system app (duh))..is placed on the "INTERNAL STORAGE"; Root Explorer on the other hand (and suprising to me) is on "EXTERNAL".
still tinkering with the settings..but it IS saving me almost DOUBLE what i started with (stock rom).
again..i COULD NOT GET THIS TO WORK with the debloated rom (sorry OP- i tried many times several different ways), nor could i get it to work once i flashed the .zip file more than once (maybe my own error, nut as whodisname mentioned already, just ODIN/FLASHING stock firmware and starting from scratch was MUCH faster.
hope this helps

strykyn

Sep 25, 2016
bradenton
snapchat work for you?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using XDA Labs

aint tried it yet man. ive gone WAAYYY past my "normal "debloat" procedures. ive got the rom itself down to 3.01gb....and i gots 3.29gb LEFT!! on"internal". (+adoptable, +portatble) :fingers-crossed:
so i havnt pushed my luck with lotta apps like snapchat yet...mayb ill give it a go tonight. keep ya posted!!

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

I get it when I use quick boot, but regular restart through system doesn't. So it may be the way the app is shutting down the system. Thanks.
anytime. matbe ill give quickboot a shot tonight, definitly tomorrow..n c if i can "reproduce" what your showing.
mayb a dumb question..but y use quickboot? everything needed is button-combo, n xposed can add boot options to existing menu. am i missing out on something kool??

Yavia

Sep 5, 2016
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
aint tried it yet man. ive gone WAAYYY past my "normal "debloat" procedures. ive got the rom itself down to 3.01gb....and i gots 3.29gb LEFT!! on"internal". (+adoptable, +portatble) :fingers-crossed:
so i havnt pushed my luck with lotta apps like snapchat yet...mayb ill give it a go tonight. keep ya posted!!

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

anytime. matbe ill give quickboot a shot tonight, definitly tomorrow..n c if i can "reproduce" what your showing.
mayb a dumb question..but y use quickboot? everything needed is button-combo, n xposed can add boot options to existing menu. am i missing out on something kool??
so you're saying you've debloated more than the debloated rom?

strykyn

Sep 25, 2016
bradenton
so you're saying you've debloated more than the debloated rom?

without a doubt. i went on a "spree". ALL of KNOX is GONE...KLMS is GONE...many other "useless ****". imma axe ALL the google apps as a test this weekend comming...but yes. debloated rom left 2gb+ usable. i gots 3.29!!.
when i KNOW its stable..maybe ill hookup with someone to properly release a TWRP flash..like the debloated rom. but....sandix seems much more "savvy" about these things than me (im just a tester).....so keep an eye on him. he prolly chop it up (in a good way):laugh:

Last edited:

Yavia

Sep 5, 2016
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
without a doubt. i went on a "spree". ALL of KNOX is GONE...KLMS is GONE...many other "useless ****". imma axe ALL the google apps as a test this weekend comming...but yes. debloated rom left 2gb+ usable. i gots 3.29!!.
when i KNOW its stable..maybe ill hookup with someone to properly release a TWRP flash..like the debloated rom. but....sandix seems much more "savvy" about these things than me (im just a tester).....so keep an eye on him. he prolly chop it up (in a good way):laugh:
I don't think he will because he stated he doesn't have an on5 anymore

strykyn

Sep 25, 2016
bradenton
I don't think he will because he stated he doesn't have an on5 anymore

well..ill see how far i can go before stability/everyday use becomes a factor. btw...know ANYONE that has Viper4Android on this thing yet?? 2.4.0.1 installed without a hitch (claims it will ri=un with SELinux "enforced"....but i certainly dont get it. it does install drivers...but with "abnormal" status...so far it dont work...

Yavia

Sep 5, 2016
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
well..ill see how far i can go before stability/everyday use becomes a factor. btw...know ANYONE that has Viper4Android on this thing yet?? 2.4.0.1 installed without a hitch (claims it will ri=un with SELinux "enforced"....but i certainly dont get it. it does install drivers...but with "abnormal" status...so far it dont work...
I have it working

Yavia

Sep 5, 2016
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6

you want the file I flashed?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161024-202855.png
    Screenshot_20161024-202855.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: stovo06

Yavia

Sep 5, 2016
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
yes sir.........is it an "update zip" or from v4a's website (the one i have)......????
ehh i got it from some other forum I just flashed and it worked hold up I'll fund the link

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

here ya go https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-agjODzYpwPOEM5NktjYzdqTGM/view?usp=docslist_api.

Reactions: strykyn

strykyn

Sep 25, 2016
bradenton
ehh i got it from some other forum I just flashed and it worked hold up I'll fund the link

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

here ya go https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-agjODzYpwPOEM5NktjYzdqTGM/view?usp=docslist_api.

o ty..watta happy day this could be!!...oh..im doing the snapchat thing now........hang tight...;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Galaxy on5 is a pretty good phone for the price. Today I share my root method and debloated stock system backup for all to enjoy.

The version of TWRP I am linking to WAS NOT MADE BY ME. It is an official build of TWRP for our phone.
    To prepare the phone to be rooted you will need a few things:

1. Download ODIN from the following link: Download ODIN
    2. Download TWRP ODIN flashable TAR file for the on5 here: Download TWRP (It will say it is for T-Mobile only, but works on MetorPCS as well)
    3. Download SuperSU Latest Stable here: Download SuperSU
    4. Download Samsung Drivers if needed: Download Drivers

Once the above is downloaded you must then do the following:

1. On the phone goto Settings->About and tap "Build Number" 10 times to enable Developer Mode.
    2. Go to Settings->Developer Mode and select "Enable OEM Unlock"
    3. Then power off the device.
    4. With the device powered off hold "VOL-DOWN + HOME + PWR" until Download mode appears.
    5. Plug the phone into the computer and start ODIN with Administrator Rights.
    6. Open Odin and place that TWRP TAR file in the [AP] slot, under Options tab disable Auto Reboot, then press [Start]
    7. When ODIN says the flash is complete in the log window, pull the battery and put the battery back in.
    8. Before turning back on hold "VOL-UP + HOME + PWR" to enter recovery.
    9. Once in recovery go to Mount->Enable USB Mass Storage
    10. Copy the SuperSU zip to the phone's storage
    11. Disable USB Mass Storage
    12. Go to Backup->Start Backup to backup the phone IN CASE OF ISSUES!!
    13. Go to Install->Select SuperSU zip file and wait.
    14. Once done, reboot the phone and you should be good!

For the custom ROM, I will be posting the information, instructions, and downloads on my website LINKED HERE You will find the download at the bottom of that page. If you have issues please let me know.

1. Download the system image from the link above
    2. Extract the zip file to your external SD Card: (Example: Phone:\Ext_sd\TWRP\backups\)
    3. Reboot into recovery (vol-up+home+pwr
    4. Make sure System Read only is not enabled in Mount settings.
    5. Select "Restore" -> Select the Folder you just put on your external SD Card
    6. Wait for a few minutes.
    7. After that is done, go back to the recovery home
    8. Then select "Wipe"
    9. Select "Data", "Cache", and "Dalvick Cache", and "Internal Storage" ONLY (
    10. IF UPDATING FROM A PREVIOUS VERSION YOU MUST CLEAR CACHE/DALVIK CACHE!!!!)
    11. Slide to wipe.
    12. Some users are reporting that you need to also restore DATA only from a stock ROM backup.
    13. Then reboot.
    14. Follow android setup as normal
    15. Profit.
    Heres some pix
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B06L9HgxxhOZYkJjU29ObVRwbGM <--- Files for successful root. Including stock rom, metropcs flash files, supersu, debloated custom rom, kernals
    I know everyone has to start somewhere, but it helps to have a basic understanding of how to create a restore a nandroid backup.
    I can't post links yet but if you google "create and restore nandroid twrp" the howtogeek link has a good tutorial.
    Once you understand that you should have an easier time following the instructions given above.

Btw thanks for the upload, I'll be trying it out later today. Right now I'm using the cleanfactory.zip I like it but I hate having to go through the whole debloating process after I reflash my phone which I do a lot. Since I'm always tinkering with it.
    ey i'm lookin to debloat my g550t1 but i dont really want to lose everything to install the rom. is there any chance you'd be able to give a quick run down on what's safe to remove? if not that's cool, i realize it'd probably be fairly uninteresting to you and time consuming.

anyways thanks for the work! glad to see this phone getting more love. hope more good stuff comes in the future.
    What you van do here is boot into TWRP and make a backup of just your data, or a full backup if you want. Then restore thos rom (its only boot and system) then go to the backup you just made and them restore just the data. Thats what I did. You can delets all the knox apps. I did, then I went looking in all the folders and deleted anytbong that said knox in the name. I deleted a few security files and also beacon manager. If you dont get all the security files, you get a "unfortunatly security has stopped" eroor one time after boot.
    All the knox can go without any extra work..

I have busybox and adoptable storage will not work. If you can fix it cool, if not, still cool! Just wish I had a little bit more storage on here for apps.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using XDA-Developers mobile app