Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
I have a feeling the pixel is going to be like the htc one m9 where we all had to ship our phones to someone with an java card / clip to get s-off... already seeing that the group says they'll be supporting the pixel (it is an htc phone afterall)... .cannot wait for more info on that one..

Except Pixel doesn't have the same unlock mechanism as other HTC phones, and the S-XXX flag is more or less useless, it appears to be set to S-OFF on the device, but device reads it as S-ENG

Reactions: 335Deezl

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
Except Pixel doesn't have the same unlock mechanism as other HTC phones, and the S-XXX flag is more or less useless, it appears to be set to S-OFF on the device, but device reads it as S-ENG

Well that sucks... :( Thanks for the info.

so no hope then with the clips you think?

Last edited:

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Step 1: Temp root
Step 2: Change buildprop
Step 3: enable oem unlocking from settings (or enable it in buildprop)
Step 4: fastboot oem unlock(i've read somewhere that there is a new command that replaces this)
Step 5: have fun

except, changing system is RO, and buildprop is read on boot

KrAsH86

May 6, 2016
Metro Detroit
Ideas

I have been cracking away at this today. I own both the GS variant and VZW variant Pixel.

1. SetupDevice is installed on the VZW variant, not on the GS variant
2. SetupDevice is OobConfig, OobConfig is present on both variants in /system/priv-app
3. On boot for the VZW variant I get a logcat entry for OobConfig in which is says something to the effect of "allow OEM_UNLOCK, false".

I am wondering if we can force our own config to be downloaded, or if we can decompile the apk ( I have been trying all day), modify, and install, thus replacing the current version.

Let me know what everyone thinks.

David

Edit: I noticed from what I could see that is not guarded in the apk is this, on factory reset the policy is wiped. I completed a factory reset and I get this in the logcat.

Code:
10-25 22:11:19.754  4025  4044 W OobConfig: Device configuration has not been retrieved.
10-25 22:11:23.663  4217  4234 V OneTimeService: Device Policy is owner: false, is admin:false
10-25 22:11:23.663  4217  4234 V OneTimeService: Disabling Device Policy, as it is not in use.
10-25 22:15:02.363  1109  1109 I DevicePolicyManagerService: Set ro.device_owner property to false (**DISREGARD** this one is present on GS variant**)

I am tired and out of ideas for the night.

Last edited:

charklos

Jun 19, 2007
Texas
I have been cracking away at this today. I own both the GS variant and VZW variant Pixel.

2. SetupDevice is OobConfig, OobConfig is present on both variants in /system/priv-app
3. On boot for the VZW variant I get a logcat entry for OobConfig in which is says something to the effect of "allow OEM_UNLOCK, false".

I am wondering if we can force our own config to be downloaded, or if we can decompile the apk ( I have been trying all day), modify, and install, thus replacing the current version.

Let me know what everyone thinks.

David

I like it, David! Lmk if I can help, I like being a tester!

Sent from my Pixel using XDA Labs

Reactions: Sachin

KrAsH86

May 6, 2016
Metro Detroit
Ideas part 2

I found this also

GS - "adb getprop" - [ro.boot.cid]: [11111111]
[ro.boot.oem_unlock_support]: [1]
[ro.oem_unlock_supported]: [1]
[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]

VZW - "adb getprop" - [ro.boot.cid]: [VZW__001]
[ro.boot.oem_unlock_support]: [0]
[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [0]

I am assuming at this point that the "ro.oem.unlock" prop refers to carrier locked. I had a list minute idea to check before bed.

lucky_strike33

I found this also

GS - "adb getprop" - [ro.boot.cid]: [11111111]
[ro.boot.oem_unlock_support]: [1]
[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [1]

VZW - "adb getprop" - [ro.boot.cid]: [VZW__001]
[ro.boot.oem_unlock_support]: [0]
[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [0]

I am assuming at this point that the "ro.oem.unlock" prop refers to carrier locked. I had a list minute idea to check before bed.
Now you won't be able to sleep

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app

diabl0w

Mar 5, 2015

Not sure what you mean by this...
1. SetupDevice is installed only on vzw variant
2. SetupDevice is installed on both variants

Does the Google version have a log for this?

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol guys don't bite the only hand with the food, lmao I'm so happy I left all this locked bootloader nonsense years ago. I'll gladly wait til mid November for my unlocked ? pixel xl to come in.

STOP SUPPORTING PEOPLE WHO SELL LOCKED DEVICES
    it's as simple as that don't expect a community based unlock when you are debating purchasing a device. And in all honesty I don't think k I've seen a htc device jcase hasn't unlocked so getting him irritated is just shooting yourselves in the foot
    cc @beaups
    Its over, this is @KrAsH86 's verizon pixel
    https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/791116513939902465

Disable updates if you want to use this IF it gets released

Settings > development options, disable the automatic update
    OK please listen closely..... Please stop all the crap... Let's get back to the purpose of why I started this post. Let's get this thing unlocked. Stop attacking people holy crap. If someone has the unlock and doesn't release it who cares. That just means it can be done. Chill out and just wait. It will happen.
    Wonder if Darth or MTM share this sentiment. Hell Jcase who is a senior moderator is the one who cracks them. Thoroughly confused. Are we being punked?

They must have been threatened by Google or Verizon.

Im the one that asked the post be taken down, it was advocating fraud. I'm all for cracking things, I'm not all for abusing warranty departments. I don't like seeing stricter warranty policies, or more expensive phones/insurance.
    Odds are an update coming in the next week, or maybe two (probably nov 1st-ish) will block the unlock.

Do the following if you want to unlock.
    Developer setting, disable automatic updates (can re-enable after unlock).

Once unlocked, dont relock it for any reason unless you dont care to have it unlocked again.