e: createTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255

Search This thread

brisinger08

Mar 28, 2014
I am having the same issue. I deleted the addon.d and then try to backup the ROM again and it gives me the same error. The addon.d is back. I then delete it again and try and the addon.d is back again. No clue why it keeps getting added.

[BACKUP STARTED]
* Backup Folder: /data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/ZY2233DBZ8/Pure.2016-10-18/
Backing up System...
Error opening: '/system/addon.d' (Not a directory)
I:Error in Generate_TarList!
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/ZY2233DBZ8/Pure.2016-10-18/system.info'
createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.

I had this same issue on my nexus 6P...what ended up working for me was disabling compression. I *think* TWRP/tar is having issues creating the tar with odd directories. Maybe try disabling compression and give it another shot :)

darkruby

Sep 30, 2015
London
I'm getting createTarFor() issue when backing up ROM

having inspected recovery.log I found out that file /data/anr/traces.txt is causing an issue
I:Error adding file '/data/anr/traces.txt' to '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/TA39101OD8/2016- 11-01--14-00-22_aicp_clark-userdebug_7.1_NDE63P_d0b52ef5ed//data.f2fs.win002'

I tried to adb shell and delete the file

but I get I/O error when doing anything with this file,

Any suggestions?

yugotprblms

Nov 13, 2010
For anyone else that had this issue, at least with the addon.b causing the error,I seem to have overcome it. Bear in mind though, I am on a Oneplus 3, with a CM13 ROM. I assume it should be fairly similar though.

I was getting the error with the stupid addon.b file/folder. If I deleted it while in android, it would come back on reboot. I could not delete it through TWRP, as it seemed to not know how to handle it. So, in android, I renamed it to addon.test.b, rebooted to TWRP, where it recognized it as a file instead of a folder, and I could delete it. The back up then went fine, as it had not rebooted and created another one.

Then, out of curiosity, I booted into android. The addon.test.b was created again. So I rebooted into recovery, restored the backup I just barely made, and booted into android. No addon.test.b or addon.b. Rebooted again. Still, neither showed up. So I will count this as a success.

Here are the steps I took. Test at your own risk. I made a Titanium Backup of everything just in case, prior to all this.

1. Use a file explorer to rename "addon.b" to "addon.test.b" while in android
  2. Reboot to TWRP
  3. Make sure System is mounted in TWRP
  4. Delete "addon.test.b" in the TWRP file manager
  5. DO NOT REBOOT YET
  6. Make a full nandroid
  7. If/when that succeeds, boot into android, see if file is there.
  8. If it is, restore backup you just created.
  9. Boot into android.
  10. If file is not there, reboot a few times to check.

I think it works fairly similarly to this, just without having to restore an older backup.

Restoring an older nandroid fixes this because it deletes the existing files and writes your nandroid back over them.

Last edited:
Y

Yoinx

For anyone else that had this issue, at least with the addon.b causing the error,I seem to have overcome it. Bear in mind though, I am on a Oneplus 3, with a CM13 ROM. I assume it should be fairly similar though.

I was getting the error with the stupid addon.b file/folder. If I deleted it while in android, it would come back on reboot. I could not delete it through TWRP, as it seemed to not know how to handle it. So, in android, I renamed it to addon.test.b, rebooted to TWRP, where it recognized it as a file instead of a folder, and I could delete it. The back up then went fine, as it had not rebooted and created another one.

Then, out of curiosity, I booted into android. The addon.test.b was created again. So I rebooted into recovery, restored the backup I just barely made, and booted into android. No addon.test.b or addon.b. Rebooted again. Still, neither showed up. So I will count this as a success.

Here are the steps I took. Test at your own risk. I made a Titanium Backup of everything just in case, prior to all this.

Use a file explorer to rename "addon.b" to "addon.test.b" while in android
Reboot to TWRP
Make sure System is mounted in TWRP
Delete "addon.test.b" in the TWRP file manager
DO NOT REBOOT YET
Make a full nandroid
If/when that succeeds, boot into android, see if file is there.
If it is, restore backup you just created.
Boot into android.
If file is not there, reboot a few times to check.

I think it works fairly similarly to this, just without having to restore an older backup.

Not everyone's backup fails on the same file. Good info, but it's not universal... If you look at my other replies in this thread, you'll see where I direct people to look at their recovery.log files to get the name of the errant file.

Also, it sounds like you had a startup script creating that file on boot?

yugotprblms

Nov 13, 2010
Not everyone's backup fails on the same file. Good info, but it's not universal... If you look at my other replies in this thread, you'll see where I direct people to look at their recovery.log files to get the name of the errant file.

That's why I bolded the part about it being for the addon.b, or .d, whatever.

As far as I know I had no script creating it. I do not know what would be doing it. It's especially odd, because after I renamed it to addon.test.b, then deleted it, it would come back as that name after boot. Addon.test.b.

duhsquid

May 6, 2011
twrp backup error 255

I had this same issue on my nexus 6P...what ended up working for me was disabling compression. I *think* TWRP/tar is having issues creating the tar with odd directories. Maybe try disabling compression and give it another shot :)
:D Thanks for mentioning this here on the BEST SITE!. I have made a good nandroid backup after five attempts.

Thanks again,

brisinger08

Mar 28, 2014

Mine was failing on a random file in /data/data...i uninstalled the app that was saving the file causing the error (pocket) and cleaned out the app data. After that I booted back to TWRP to try another backup and according it failed on a different file (also in /data/data). Since the issue seems to go away if you disable compression I think there is a bug in the tar binary that TWRP is using but I'm not a dev so that's just a guess :)

That's why I bolded the part about it being for the addon.b, or .d, whatever.

As far as I know I had no script creating it. I do not know what would be doing it. It's especially odd, because after I renamed it to addon.test.b, then deleted it, it would come back as that name after boot. Addon.test.b.

Some custom roms add that (or other) folders at boot. That's definitely weird tho that it would come back named incorrectly...might want to check with the ROM dev on that :eek:

:D Thanks for mentioning this here on the BEST SITE!. I have made a good nandroid backup after five attempts.

Thanks again,

Glad it worked for you :good:

Cheers

Reactions: lordkarma88

Bontropi

Feb 4, 2014
I really thank you for this. [emoji1]
Tried so many times to solve it, I had headache all week long.
This method really worked and solved my strange issue in just a second.

Thank you so much, my friend.

Inviato dal mio Pixel XL utilizzando Tapatalk

srk05

Feb 24, 2012
When will the TWRP folks fix this? By chance I had not enabled compression, and the backup worked. Enabled it, then the backup failed.

injuhneer

Apr 4, 2015
I too am experiencing this particular variety of Android Ownership Joy.

Mine is failing on what appears to be a file in /system/app named AndroidPay.

Trying to delete the file causes reboot. Tried remount to r/w in TWRP terminal, adb, root browser, ESFileExplorer, ROM Toolbox. No joy.

HTC A9, Marshmallow, S-OFF, SuperSU, TWRP.

Last edited:

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I've answered this numerous times... So I'm positive that a search would have yielded the answer....

You need to look at /tmp/recovery.log while in recovery (adb pull it). Look in it for the last file that it tried to read before it gave the error. Your options are either delete that file or pull it then delete it. However, the file is corrupt in some way and the backup will never finish.

Restoring an older nandroid fixes this because it deletes the existing files and writes your nandroid back over them.

Thanks. This was the first thing that came up in my Google search. :good:

Added this to my post in TWRP for my device:

I'm adding this info to this thread for the next person who comes along to search it to figure out WTF.
Thanks to Google & @Yoinx for the answers.

Tried doing TWRP backup but it kept failing on backing up /data with the following error:

So I pulled the TWRP log via ADB:

Code:
C:\platform-tools>adb pull /tmp/recovery.log
[100%] /tmp/recovery.log

The log drops into the same folder as your ADB files.
Reviewed the log for the last file it tried to back up but failed.
I put in bold below the file it failed on.

Code:
I:addFile '/data/dalvik-cache/arm64/system@priv-app@PrebuiltGmsCore@PrebuiltGmsCore.apk@classes.dex' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:dalvikcache_data_file:s0
I:Error [B]adding file '/data/dalvik-cache/arm64/system@priv-app@PrebuiltGmsCore@PrebuiltGmsCore.apk@classes.dex'[/B] to '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/HT692020XXXX/2017-03-06--20-24-59/data.ext4.win000'
Error creating backup.
I:ERROR tarList for thread ID 0
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/HT692020XXXX/2017-03-06--20-24-59/data.info'
I:Copying file /tmp/recovery.log to /data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/HT692020XXXX/2017-03-06--20-24-59/recovery.log

So while in ADB, I deleted the file:

Code:
C:\platform-tools>adb shell
# rm /data/dalvik-cache/arm64/system@priv-app@PrebuiltGmsCore@PrebuiltGmsCore.apk@classes.dex

Now the TWRP backup of /data goes through just fine.

pastorbob62

Mar 29, 2013
Springfield
It seems that you are all making this a lot harder than it needs to be. I ran into this on my Moto G4 and all I did was dirty flash my lastest ROM and OpenGapps. Rebooted into system to be sure it was all kosher, then I rebooted into recovery and WALLA!! I was able to do a new backup without any problem at all.

Reactions: taadow1030

Disgustip8ed

May 4, 2016
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
It seems that you are all making this a lot harder than it needs to be. I ran into this on my Moto G4 and all I did was dirty flash my lastest ROM and OpenGapps. Rebooted into system to be sure it was all kosher, then I rebooted into recovery and WALLA!! I was able to do a new backup without any problem at all.

Gotta agree here. I just dirty flashed an updated ROM to the latest RR, did a Titanium Backup and now a full TWRP backup and all is well.

C114

Jul 24, 2013
Szczecin

2. Reboot to TWRP
  5. DO NOT REBOOT YET
  6. Make a full nandroid
  9. Boot into android.

That worked for me. The addon.d file is not there anymore.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Kenzo
Resurrection remix Official Nightlies 7.1.1 2017/04/14 build TWRP 3.1.0-0

Last edited:
Reactions: NoLips

Aniket.t20

Aug 17, 2012
Mumbai
/data/misc/profiles/cur/0/foreign-dex/@system@app@Chrome@Chrome.apk
Is the file causing trouble for me on my OnePlus 3T.
Couldnt delete it through twrp and ADB shell and file manager+root. Any other way to remove this??

C114

Jul 24, 2013
Szczecin
/data/misc/profiles/cur/0/foreign-dex/@system@app@Chrome@Chrome.apk
Is the file causing trouble for me on my OnePlus 3T.
Couldnt delete it through twrp and ADB shell and file manager+root. Any other way to remove this??
Maybe try to rename and then delete.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

dikosty

May 26, 2016
Hi everyone. I have a strange bug on my sony xperia z1 compact, 5.1.1.

TWRP 2.8.7 doesn't create a backup of data. I tried to create a general backup and separately for the data. It creates a backup of system, but not data. Indicates that TWRP recorded about 30%, then device turns off and reboots to system. And I have "0kb" of file of data.
I changed USB flash drive, OTG cable, tried to recorde to SD card phone.
Everything was fine 2 months ago.
I don't know how to find the problem.
There is no way to record a log of bugs?

Now I tried to turn on "Enable compression" and
"Skip MD5 generation during backup" and I got error=255

UPD: Sorry, I did not see that tread is for Nexus 6

UPD 2: Restoring default settings in TWRP helped me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-06-10-10-20.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-06-10-10-20.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

Edozullo

Oct 25, 2016
Hey, i've this problem: When starting a Backup it crash immediantly after Backup system the process createTarFork() is crash with errore 255. Help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who have the addon.d issue, go to terminal in TWRP
    Code:
    cd /system
    rm addon.d

Backup works.

2. Reboot to TWRP
    5. DO NOT REBOOT YET
    6. Make a full nandroid
    9. Boot into android.

I am having the same issue. I deleted the addon.d and then try to backup the ROM again and it gives me the same error. The addon.d is back. I then delete it again and try and the addon.d is back again. No clue why it keeps getting added.

[BACKUP STARTED]
    * Backup Folder: /data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/ZY2233DBZ8/Pure.2016-10-18/
    Backing up System...
    Error opening: '/system/addon.d' (Not a directory)
    I:Error in Generate_TarList!
    Error creating backup.
    I:InfoManager saving '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/ZY2233DBZ8/Pure.2016-10-18/system.info'

I'm not exactly sure why I got that message but I fixed the problem by using a different nandroid backup to restore back to an earlier point. After this, I did a nandroid and it worked perfectly. The latest nandroid was probably corrupt.

I realized that not all nandroids will be completely reliable even using the latest TWRP, so I got a lesson from it that you should always keep multiple nandroids just in case one nandroid back up doesn't work.
    The search feature on xda is subpar at best. I've googled as much as I could before asking this question and I didn't get any solutions from that.