DNS66: New adblocker for those unrooted

Search This thread

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste

Beandip-Javier

Mar 2, 2011
Hayward, Ca
I just uninstalled adguard to give this a try, my bigger concern is battery drain. I'll run it over the weekend and see how it does. Thanks for this

Cleanser2012

Aug 2, 2012
Chicago
Used this all day today. Does a pretty good job at blocking most ads, I still see some here and there. Biggest disadvantage to this is the battery drain. It seems my phone is being prevented from going into deep sleep.

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Used this all day today. Does a pretty good job at blocking most ads, I still see some here and there. Biggest disadvantage to this is the battery drain. It seems my phone is being prevented from going into deep sleep.

Hmm dozing here fine it looks like, I'll leave unplugged overnight. Doesn't even show up as a battery drained in GSAM monitor

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011

A little over 1% battery drain over 7 hours unplugged overnight.

Attachments

• Capture+_2016-10-30-06-52-41.jpg
    Capture+_2016-10-30-06-52-41.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 1,789
  • Capture+_2016-10-30-06-54-19.jpg
    Capture+_2016-10-30-06-54-19.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,787

Kansatsusha

Jul 31, 2011
Tried to install in Leaproid to test it... there no install =( lol. My siii is rooted already so I dont need it on that... oh well I test it on a new android w/e I get one

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
I'm just chiming in to say that I used this adblocker for the past few days and my battery has been rather unimpressive. I'm going to try tomorrow without the ad block turned on to see if there's any noticeable difference compared to today at least.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

smaw51

Nov 22, 2010
Tempe
I'm just chiming in to say that I used this adblocker for the past few days and my battery has been rather unimpressive. I'm going to try tomorrow without the ad block turned on to see if there's any noticeable difference compared to today at least.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Notice anything?

ohblindone

Sep 12, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll use it and post if I have any particular issues (battery drain, etc.)

repsol_23

Jan 24, 2011
Just installed this. Works great on my Verizon v20. So far has blocked all the ads in apps that were driving me nuts!!

Reactions: MCID

jellybear456

Feb 17, 2011
Those who try it, please update with any battery drain info! I would love to use it if it didn't decrease battery life and/or keep my phone awake. This also seems like a common concern among many.

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
I'm been running it for a day.. So testing the battery life but for people already using it.. Does it stop YouTube ads?

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
Doesn't work on ads with YouTube, battery seems good and normal from before installing DNS66.

Issues I'm running into is with ChompSMS, it has issues receiving MMS. I tired changing the settings from Legacy to System but still won't work.

androiddiego

May 16, 2015
West Palm
I've been using it for one day now. I am running a completely stock unrooted V20. I'm not a power user, so I'm not running a lot of apps that have ads. I did test it on all of the apps I have that run ads and it seems to be about 95% effective. This is great for unrooted users!
As far as battery life goes, I let it sit for about 5 hours with all apps closed and greenified. It was still at 100% 5 hours later. The day went on and I mostly just took some pictures and did minor amount of web browsing. It's now been about 10 hours since charged and I'm at 93%. App info in settings says this app has 0% battery usage since last charge. It looks to me that if you aren't using any apps that have ads it won't drain the battery. That's good news if you are worried about battery drain in standby or while not using apps with ads battery life seems normal. If you are worried about battery drain while using apps that have ads, then you have a choice, see the ads and preserve battery, or don't see the ads and charge more often. I can't confirm at this point if drain is higher with it activated and actually blocking ads versus not blocking real time ads. I'll try using some apps that have ads with it activated and with it off and see if there is a difference and report back.
Thanks @Skripka Nice work!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts