[ROM][DISCONTINUED] CyanogenMod 13.0 for Xiaomi Mi 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xdaerdeve

Mar 17, 2014
Thanks for the build in UPGRADE from cm13 to cm14. Now I can install all new again. Now one told me that I would become with the next build in update system cm14. Now problems with gaps.

In the future tell to the user, that they don't become a update, but a upgrade. So they can decide.

To other user, be carefully with 1512. THIS IS NOT A UPDATE, BUT A UPGRADE TO ANDROID 7.1.1. This means 14.1. So read carefully.

azazello22

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks for the build in UPGRADE from cm13 to cm14. Now I can install all new again. Now one told me that I would become with the next build in update system cm14. Now problems with gaps.

In the future tell to the user, that they don't become a update, but a upgrade. So they can decide.

To other user, be carefully with 1512. THIS IS NOT A UPDATE, BUT A UPGRADE TO ANDROID 7.1.1. This means 14.1. So read carefully.
Why should he tell you that, when you just have to read what you are going to install on your phone..

sent from my MI5

xdaerdeve

Mar 17, 2014
Why should he tell you that, when you just have to read what you are going to install on your phone..
sent from my MI5
This is very easy to explain for you... Just read what you install and then all is good. I dont see this like you.
Because some people maybe dont have the time to read all and have so much faith in something, that they never would expect, that this would happen.
For months I make the updates from my phone (System - Cyanogenmod Updates - manually) together with TWRP. I download it from the system and then just install it.
And I really never expected, that the Cyanogenmod put there a upgrade instead of a update.

Is like if you allways make your updates from windows 8 and some day is there a package that unexpected upgrades your system to windows 10 and by that way, you loose important files or are forced to install your system clean and loose many things (like some files, options from programs, game saves, and so on). BECAUSE YOU DIDNT EXPECT THIS and so this hits you hard. And later Microsoft say: Why did you not read it?

Something like this, should be communicated on a other way. Maybe a small window warning to take care, because this is a upgrade and not a update.

I loosed my gapps and many options from my system and it took about 4 hours to put all like it was before.

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

By the way, if someone has also problems with sim cards and wifi on CM13:

After my "forced" upgrade to CM14.1, I dont have more this bugs.
1. Wifi now goes normal sleep after some minutes of screen off (if you choose it in the options) and when I turn the screen on, it connects normaly to my wifi network, without to turn wifi off and on again.

2. When I restart my phone, my settings for sim cards to data, phone and sms persists and dont go loose.

Like it looks, there are no bugs at the moment. I will take a look on it and hoppe, it is really the first Cyanogenmod release, that has no one bug.

But in the future I will write in the correct thread, in the case something goes wrong.

sc754

Apr 12, 2015
A snapshot build (CM-13.0-ZNH5Y) will be released for gemini, sometime during this month. Just for your info.

On the latest updates that are 14.1, if I upgrade does that mean I'll lose my apps, contacts etc as previously I've just dirty flashed updates, but I take it for 14.1 from 13 I would need to do a clean flash? Or can I just upgrade without losing apps, contacts, calls, messages etc?

vikashhero

Feb 17, 2011
London
On the latest updates that are 14.1, if I upgrade does that mean I'll lose my apps, contacts etc as previously I've just dirty flashed updates, but I take it for 14.1 from 13 I would need to do a clean flash? Or can I just upgrade without losing apps, contacts, calls, messages etc?
If you dirty flash, you'll break Google apps and you'll lose the play store. Clean install 14.1

azazello22

Oct 11, 2014
This is very easy to explain for you... Just read what you install and then all is good. I dont see this like you.
Because some people maybe dont have the time to read all and have so much faith in something, that they never would expect, that this would happen.
For months I make the updates from my phone (System - Cyanogenmod Updates - manually) together with TWRP. I download it from the system and then just install it.
And I really never expected, that the Cyanogenmod put there a upgrade instead of a update.

Is like if you allways make your updates from windows 8 and some day is there a package that unexpected upgrades your system to windows 10 and by that way, you loose important files or are forced to install your system clean and loose many things (like some files, options from programs, game saves, and so on). BECAUSE YOU DIDNT EXPECT THIS and so this hits you hard. And later Microsoft say: Why did you not read it?

Something like this, should be communicated on a other way. Maybe a small window warning to take care, because this is a upgrade and not a update.

I loosed my gapps and many options from my system and it took about 4 hours to put all like it was before.

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

1. Wifi now goes normal sleep after some minutes of screen off (if you choose it in the options) and when I turn the screen on, it connects normaly to my wifi network, without to turn wifi off and on again.

2. When I restart my phone, my settings for sim cards to data, phone and sms persists and dont go loose.

Like it looks, there are no bugs at the moment. I will take a look on it and hoppe, it is really the first Cyanogenmod release, that has no one bug.

But in the future I will write in the correct thread, in the case something goes wrong.
Your words don't make sense. It's way different from Microsoft.

You can see CM version when using system updater, if you can't read the first word of that, I don't know what else to say. It's very easy.

sent from my MI5

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9

The issue is yours and yours alone. Had you followed the rules you would have already known that a clean flash is needed on OS updates.

If you don't have the time to get the info you need to mess with the OS of your device then you might really want to rethink what you are doing here.

muff99

Jan 6, 2011
Greetings to finland, I was in Helsinki yesterday for a 1-day-business trip :)

Ok, I managed to create a new built. I appplied no changes or fixes, pure CM-bgcngm-glory including all the upstream changes since 20161121 (view them here: https://www.cmxlog.com/13/gemini/).

The build can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1UDBYCQNGW7SV9zNGxkYjFHYVk?usp=sharing

In case anyone else is still using cm13 like I am: I will keep building every one or two days for a while, new built up on my gdrive.
Not too many changes the last days since development shifted to cm14.1, but at least the december security updates are included now.

afifpratama

Dec 1, 2016
In case anyone else is still using cm13 like I am: I will keep building every one or two days for a while, new built up on my gdrive.
Not too many changes the last days since development shifted to cm14.1, but at least the december security updates are included now.
is there any major bugs on latest build in youre google drive? is fingerprint as home works? is camera good?
sorry for lots of question, im planning using cm13 as my daily driver, before xposed for nougat arrive

xdaerdeve

Mar 17, 2014
The issue is yours and yours alone. Had you followed the rules you would have already known that a clean flash is needed on OS updates.

If you don't have the time to get the info you need to mess with the OS of your device then you might really want to rethink what you are doing here.

A story for you:

You go in the supermarkt and buy food, that is already over the expire date. You take it home, eat it and become so hill, that you have to go to the hospital.
After they pump your stomach and you lie there, comes a friend and ask what happened.
You tell the story and become angry about that and he says to you: Hey man, is your fault. You should have read the durability date in the package. Why did you not do that? Is your fault.

Conclusion and quintessence of this story: It is not JUST about read or not read, BUT also about that things are, where they are not expected to be.
In my system in the point I read "Cyanogenmod Updates", and not "Cyanogenmod Updates and Upgrades", and there is really a difference between them.

By the way, if you read in the thread about 14.1 nigthlies you will find many posts where users write, that they have accidentally upgraded from version CM 13 to 14.1. And because the most users have GAPPS, this is the first thing that will make problems but sure not just this.
And I suspect that many others had the same problem like me, but they didn´t write it here like me.

In the update infos are just 3 numbers that are different in the versions list, and for weeks there is no more info there to read (protocol). So for me this is really not user friendly.

And if this is a issue, like you mentioned? I dont think so. It could just be better and more user friendly.
And till now it took me over 40 hours, to learn much about these thematics. So I do not feel addressed with your comment.

Nice weekend.

azazello22

Oct 11, 2014
A story for you:

You go in the supermarkt and buy food, that is already over the expire date. You take it home, eat it and become so hill, that you have to go to the hospital.
After they pump your stomach and you lie there, comes a friend and ask what happened.
You tell the story and become angry about that and he says to you: Hey man, is your fault. You should have read the durability date in the package. Why did you not do that? Is your fault.

Conclusion and quintessence of this story: It is not JUST about read or not read, BUT also about that things are, where they are not expected to be.
In my system in the point I read "Cyanogenmod Updates", and not "Cyanogenmod Updates and Upgrades", and there is really a difference between them.

By the way, if you read in the thread about 14.1 nigthlies you will find many posts where users write, that they have accidentally upgraded from version CM 13 to 14.1. And because the most users have GAPPS, this is the first thing that will make problems but sure not just this.
And I suspect that many others had the same problem like me, but they didn´t write it here like me.

In the update infos are just 3 numbers that are different in the versions list, and for weeks there is no more info there to read (protocol). So for me this is really not user friendly.

And if this is a issue, like you mentioned? I dont think so. It could just be better and more user friendly.
And till now it took me over 40 hours, to learn much about these thematics. So I do not feel addressed with your comment.

Nice weekend.
It's all about reading.
If you can't understand the difference from "cm13" and "cm14.1" and what it takes to go from the first to the second one, you shouldn't be flashing nightly at all.

Stop complaining, take your responsibilities.

sent from my MI5

andy356

Jul 5, 2016
A story for you:

Nice weekend.

Did you see the #include std_disclaimer.h at the beginning?

If this was a company with customers, it would have a responsibility to address their grievances.

Seeing as this is a free for all community where people develop of their own free will, and there is an explicit disclaimer given (which they don't actually need to give), it actually is completely your responsibility to take care when tweaking your phone.

You aren't a user of a company whose phone you bought which is then beholden to give you good customer service. You're using a free ROM made available for everyone to use at their own risk.

So if you come and complain that something bad happened to you, it is not at all the fault of the dev. He's not assuring you of quality at all. That CM is known for its stability and large user base is fine, but it always comes with the rider that anything could go wrong.

The most you can do from your side is tell the dev that this issue exists. The dev then checks if the problem can be addressed from his side, or even if he *wants to*, and that is totally up to him.

xdaerdeve

Mar 17, 2014
It's all about reading.
If you can't understand the difference from "cm13" and "cm14.1" and what it takes to go from the first to the second one, you shouldn't be flashing nightly at all.
Stop complaining, take your responsibilities.
sent from my MI5
I thought we were ready. Why do you repeat the same? I wrote so someone other.
So for the second time Mister Cleaner, OK and thanks. I am ready with your advices. Go one and continue with what you were doing. Go on, go on.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

First rule in modding....
BACK UP!!!
And I did it :)
But also had some problems.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Did you see the #include std_disclaimer.h at the beginning?
The most you can do from your side is tell the dev that this issue exists. The dev then checks if the problem can be addressed from his side, or even if he *wants to*, and that is totally up to him.
I didnt know this, thanks for the information.

And with my message I know absolutely, that no one must do it! But why can I not say my opinion?
And I never said, that someone has to do something. But there are people, that have a thin skin and take the things on his own way.
It is and continues my opinion. Thats all, without requirements.

andy356

Jul 5, 2016

Your post here implies that it was the dev's fault and he could have done something about it. I know it's a bad idea to read tone on the internet, but compared to other posts it comes off as quite accusatory. It's clear that you faced a huge problem because of this, but letting off steam here isn't helping anyone.

I know this isn't Quora, but Be Nice, Be Respectful. That's all anyone here is asking for. :)

Edit: Pinging @FcukBloat, whose device got bricked and he had to jump through a LOT of hoops, trying different things to get it working again. Even though he went through all that (I think he said somewhere that he lost a lot of pics of his family) he was polite when discussing the entire issue and looking for a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: FcukBloat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    logo-cid.png

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. Your changelog is whatever was merged into gerrit.

GPL compliance:

Broken:
    • Nothing! :)

Working:
    • Everything except 'broken' stuff
      (see also second post for info on recurring questions)

425610842_171661_344213523048590188.jpg
    425618330_173247_1805537988806187.jpg

Compatibility:
    Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi 5 variants (32GB / 64GB / 128GB) only. Xiaomi Mi 5S and 5S Plus are not supported.
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 6.0.1 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI 6.9.29 dev package.​

Downloads:

Notice:
    • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only CM kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 5 - Direct link)
    • Wipe /system, /data and /cache
    • Install CM package
    • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open Gapps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
    Important note: Gapps can only be flashed on clean installs.

Credits & collaborations:
    This work is due to efforts from Mi5Devs founding members (@h2o64 and me) that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @deovferreira for all the help during the kernel bring-up after source code dropped.

Thanks also to @shade.sh for publishing early beta builds.

Finally, all CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!​

Device wiki:

Changelog:

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 13.0, ROM for the Xiaomi Mi 5

Contributors
    bgcngm, Mi5Devs
    ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.x
    Based On: CM13.0

Version Information

Created 2016-09-08
    Last Updated 2016-12-28
    Here's a heads up:
    - Audio routing issue is fixed but not yet published.
    - Ambient display issue was fixed last night. Just need some more thorough testing on LGD panels.

Having said that, if all goes well, you may see official CM nightlies in the weekend. :victory:
    There's much more than that and you won't see it in the log. This kernel rebase really gave me a hard time. For your info... old kernel: 501 876 commits / new kernel: 506 007 commits (as of now).

Most people don't get it, but I am spending more time on this than I would ever expected... and wanted.
    Final unofficial build before it goes official is here! :victory: All the major bugs are fixed and topic is updated with the download link (build from today).

Thanks for all the last hour donations. Really appreciate that! :highfive:
    There we go. Xiaomi Mi 5 is now an officially supported CM device! :victory:

Just created the official wiki page. The first build coming out from jenkins should be available probably tomorrow. Be sure to start with a clean flash... and enjoy! :cool: