Trying to reset my custom ROM'd Nexus 6 back to factory status to sell it

Search This thread

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
Some help please with the instructions here https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/guide-flash-factory-images-nexus-6shamu-t2954008 .

I have a Nexus 6 with the PureNexus ROM and I need to reset the phone back to factory status as I now have a Pixel XL.

I've followed the instructions correctly (as far as I'm aware anyway). I'm getting the following error with the Flash all script (bolded text)

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1513810096 bytes
error: update package missing system.img

Where do I find these .sig and .img files?

target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'bootloader' (4071 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.130s]
writing 'bootloader'...
(bootloader) flashing partition ...
(bootloader) This may take a few seconds if a
(bootloader) different partition table is being
(bootloader) flashed since we need to backup
(bootloader) and restore a few partitions
(bootloader) Flashing primary GPT image...
(bootloader) Flashing backup GPT image...
(bootloader) flashing aboot ...
(bootloader) flashing sbl1 ...
(bootloader) flashing rpm ...
(bootloader) flashing tz ...
(bootloader) flashing sdi ...
(bootloader) flashing logo ...
OKAY [ 0.881s]
finished. total time: 1.012s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.003s
< waiting for device >
sending 'radio' (115507 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.733s]
writing 'radio'...
(bootloader) flashing modem ...
(bootloader) flashing mdm1m9kefs1 ...
(bootloader) flashing mdm1m9kefs2 ...
(bootloader) flashing mdm1m9kefs3 ...
(bootloader) flashing versions ...
OKAY [ 1.943s]
finished. total time: 5.678s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.003s
< waiting for device >
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1513810096 bytes
error: update package missing system.img

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
@CayenneGTS: Using WinRAR or 7-Zip, extract the contents of the factory package to a folder. Then find the largest file, and open that with WinRAR or 7-Zip. The system.img will be inside. In simple language, Google compresses the files twice.
Thanks, I found the "missing" files in the zip as you described.

Next stupid question, from a command prompt in that folder, I typed in "fastboot flash boot.img" - this is the same line in the flash all script, but that just generates an error.

Whats the correct syntax to flash boot.sig , recovery.sig and system.img?

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
If I recall correctly, "fastboot flash [partition] [image.img]", e.g. " fastboot flash boot boot.img". If that doesn't work, reverse the partition and disk image names.

Whatever you do, do not flash userdata.img. Simply make sure you do a factory reset after flashing, as the userdata.img is for a 32GB N6. Flashing it on a 64GB N6 results in half the internal storage being unseen by the device until a factory reset is done.

Reactions: CayenneGTS
Good grief, use Wugs NRT, flash Stock and Unroot option, done!

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

@quicksilver53: I don't recommend a toolkit, as the OP won't get any feedback if there is a problem.
@CayenneGTS: Using WinRAR or 7-Zip, extract the contents of the factory package to a folder. Then find the largest file, and open that with WinRAR or 7-Zip. The system.img will be inside. In simple language, Google compresses the files twice.

WHy are you telling him the hard way to do it when he just wants to go back to stock and sell t he phone? It's not like he's going to do anything else with it

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Why are you telling him the hard way to do it when he just wants to go back to stock and sell t he phone? It's not like he's going to do anything else with it
I explained why in previous posts, but if you want another reason, it's because everyone should know how to use fastboot before using a toolkit, and the toolkits don't provide that knowledge. The OP's next device may not have a toolkit available, while fastboot is universal. Plus the "hard" way is so damn easy the "easy" way just encourages laziness.

CayenneGTS

Nov 5, 2012
Oakville
If I recall correctly, "fastboot flash [partition] [image.img]", e.g. " fastboot flash boot boot.img". If that doesn't work, reverse the partition and disk image names.

Whatever you do, do not flash userdata.img. Simply make sure you do a factory reset after flashing, as the userdata.img is for a 32GB N6. Flashing it on a 64GB N6 results in half the internal storage being unseen by the device until a factory reset is done.
That fixed it! Thanks Strephon!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could also download the Nexus Root Toolkit by Wugfresh. Install and the return to stock. I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    @quicksilver53: I don't recommend a toolkit, as the OP won't get any feedback if there is a problem.
    Tool kit works fine... Use it
    Flash the images individually. Rename them if necessary. The batch file Google includes sometimes is rather wonky, and flashing each image individually via fastboot helps.