UPPERCUT: Add Any LG Device to LGUP for TOT/KDZ Flashing (G4|G5|G6|V10|V20|MORE???)

Search This thread

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
can someone host the uppercut file on a different host, I dont have any adblockers and its not allowing me to download.

Last edited:

obol2

Nov 23, 2014
Home
My G5 is currently on Genysis 1.3 rom. If I update to H85010C_00_OPEN_EU_OP_0415.kdz using LG UP, will it wipe the internal storage? Secondly I presume it will also flash standard recovery over TWRP which is what I currently have.
When you choose refurbished it will wipe internal . If you choose upgrade it won't. But I recommend you to choose refurbished because you are not coming from stock ROM. If you flash a ROM with LGUP it will overwrite recovery with stock one.

Reactions: anaschillin
When you choose refurbished it will wipe internal . If you choose upgrade it won't. But I recommend you to choose refurbished because you are not coming from stock ROM. If you flash a ROM with LGUP it will overwrite recovery with stock one.

Thanks for your reply, I took a risk before your reply. I did a twrp flash of stock full over custom rom started, did a titanium backup again and then flashed Flumics... Amazing rom!

TheDantee

Aug 20, 2016
Hey my device (LG v20) used to be read while using uppercut but now its no longer reading it just says unknown device so i cant flash anything to it :( any idea to fix?

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010
@autoprime Is there a way to get older version of Uppercut ? (the one that works with LG UP 1.11) for some tests to fix my semi-bricked phone

Thanks !

I never released an UPPERCUT for 1.11 on XDA.
Earlier UPPERCUT EXEs were mainly just UI differences and added nothing that isn't supported in the currently released build.

It seems that there are some G5 users (and possibly other models) that are on early M builds and are showing as "Unknown model".
Early M builds being 10A, 10C, 10D, 10E... etc.. on G5 anyway. 10i.. 10j.. higher seem to have a higher success rate w/UPPERCUT.
UPPERCUTs XDA release was mainly targeted for flashing a device from the latest M build.. to N.. and N to future N builds.
A new UPPERCUT build would be needed to try and target devices on earlier builds.. not sure if I'll be moving backwards tho... we'll see.

For any cases where the G5 is on N or a later M build and still not detected.. I'm not sure what would be causing that.
unable to replicate similar outcomes on my H830 and am able to flash on both M and N with no issue in all my testing.
unfortunately, I do not have any other models to test with and can only take note of some situations people report.
but much of the info reported is not detailed enough...
flashing from which exact sw version to sw version?
what was the KDZ or TOT filename?
exactly which model?
1.14 is being used right?
what is the exact error in LGUP?
what % did LGUP fail at?
model info can be determined by such things as the build.prop and misc partition, has either possibly been altered?
was bootloader unlocked and have bootloaders been swapped?
was bootloader unlocked on an early M build and only the rom was updated while the bootloader wasn't updated?
was phone rooted and bootloader changes attempted?
any more specifics on the conditions leading up to flashing this KDZ..?
if TOT or KDZ did flash successfully but the phone won't boot into android, have you tried a factory reset?
etc..

did LGUP work? Great.. which exact model and software version was the phone on?
what KDZ or TOT file was flashed?

and if enough people can report BOTH success and failure details with UPPERCUT we'd have more info on exactly what is and isn't supported on this 1.0.0.0 build. and then new builds can be made from there. These XDA public releases are trying to target a large group of devices in a single build... but I can't target them all. When building these for clients there is lots of testing going into a specific device or set of devices under specific conditions.. but such time and testing won't be put into these public releases and requires feedback from the public.

to use 1.11 you'd need to use the "original methods" that required a dll msi installer for each model..
or manually file swapping and possibly editing the registry.

also, this is not me ranting at anything you said or anything... I'm just taking this time to respond to multiple things at once.. and answering your initial question got me thinking about it :)

Last edited:

Hunikel

Jul 31, 2014
Paris
Oh too bad :/, I'm using a H860 and after using https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/how-to/guide-adb-root-rw-dm-verity-off-sprint-t3523499/, I lost access to my storage (It didn't work on N so I downgraded to MM and Uppercut was working at that time) but still got Root.

Already tried LG UP 1.10 and 1.11 with DLL and registery alteration, It detects my model, but It stops from working and gives an error at 4% (usb connection established), on LG UP 1.14 It says unknown model no mater what I do.
After that I tried a couple of things, like asking someone on MM to give me his build.prop and replace mine (Ofc I backup my original one) and still no luck, but for some reason, with his build.prop my phone laggs less (one of the problems with no storage)
Also tried LG flash tool 2016 no luck either "(S) failed to load" error message, tried an update with LG Bridge but it doesn't detect MTP (I enabled it ofc), but in Download mode, It detects my phone, downloads the update, but can't apply it, maybe It need the phone to be On and not on download mode

From my experience, the only way I see to get out of this is either custom recovery (or a way to access H860 MM recovery since we can't bypass the dead android) to be able to push an update file from ADB or someone stumbles upon some solution. I'm not the only one with this problem, and apparently someone who had this exact same problem fixed it by using his brother's H860 to work with LG UP and then put his phone for the update, I'm still searching for someone in my school who has the same model as mine to test lol

P.S I use official cable, tried many KDZ from different regions, tried It on a VM, my PC, my laptop and on a friends laptop and still no luck

And thanks for your hard work !

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010
Oh too bad :/, I'm using a H860 and after using https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/how-to/guide-adb-root-rw-dm-verity-off-sprint-t3523499/, I lost access to my storage (It didn't work on N so I downgraded to MM and Uppercut was working at that time) but still got Root.

Already tried LG UP 1.10 and 1.11 with DLL and registery alteration, It detects my model, but It stops from working and gives an error at 4% (usb connection established), on LG UP 1.14 It says unknown model no mater what I do.
After that I tried a couple of things, like asking someone on MM to give me his build.prop and replace mine (Ofc I backup my original one) and still no luck, but for some reason, with his build.prop my phone laggs less (one of the problems with no storage)
Also tried LG flash tool 2016 no luck either "(S) failed to load" error message, tried an update with LG Bridge but it doesn't detect MTP (I enabled it ofc), but in Download mode, It detects my phone, downloads the update, but can't apply it, maybe It need the phone to be On and not on download mode

From my experience, the only way I see to get out of this is either custom recovery (or a way to access H860 MM recovery since we can't bypass the dead android) to be able to push an update file from ADB or someone stumbles upon some solution. I'm not the only one with this problem, and apparently someone who had this exact same problem fixed it by using his brother's H860 to work with LG UP and then put his phone for the update, I'm still searching for someone in my school who has the same model as mine to test lol

P.S I use official cable, tried many KDZ from different regions, tried It on a VM, my PC, my laptop and on a friends laptop and still no luck

And thanks for your hard work !

going in order...
you mention "Uppercut was working at that time".. was this for the downgrade from N to M? or once you downgraded to M you tried UPPERCUT?

and once on M.. you used dirtysanta to exploit your phone and install the ADB root debug boot img?
Which H860 M build are you on at this point? 10A, 10B etc?

and ADB root is working on your phone.. but the issue is you can't access storage?
did you do anything besides flash the debug boot img to your phone.. any other images flashed? did you change the model anywhere?

does the phone still boot into android (with the debug boot img)? you just cant do much once booted into android because storage cant be accessed? or does the phone no longer boot into android?

so to try and fix your phone and access storage again.. you are trying to flash a KDZ in LGUP to get back to 100% stock?
and you are trying LGUP 1.10/1.11 while on M but all KDZs fail? Which KDZ build versions are you trying to flash? 10A, 10B etc? And all of these are H860 KDZs?

LG Flash Tool doesn't seem to work for people on G5 despite the cracked version bypassing some security measures. Ive at least never seen someone mentioning a successful flash on G5. Some have reported it working with other models (not G5).

If LGUP 1.11 isn't working with any KDZ I'm not sure if LGUP is your solution here.
I would try multiple different H860 KDZ versions for M... 10B.. 10C.. 10E.. etc. whatever is available.
And you are using a dll msi to install the DLL or placing the H860 dll manually in the LGUP folder? I'm wondering if a different H860 dll version placed in the LGUP folder may allow it to get past the "4% error" in LGUP.
also when flashing KDZ after KDZ in LGUP... always reboot the phone back into download mode before trying to flash the next KDZ.
dont try to flash a KDZ.. have it fail then immediately flash another KDZ... if there is no powering down and booting back into download mode after an error then you may be messing with a possibly successful combo. this wont always make things work.. but it will rule out any extra errors.

Besides fiddling with LGUP and every possible variable.. I see maybe 2 other ways of making progress... but they are potentially risky and you may end up losing root (which could make things even worse)... but hopefully you can still re-root if that were to happen. Both possibilities require you to still be able to boot into android.. and that any harm that may happen is all on you ;)

possibility #1: zero out your misc partition using adb root shell while booted in android... then immediately power off the phone (pull battery) then boot right into download mode and try reflashing in LGUP.. both 1.11 and 1.14+UPPERCUT. this shouldnt mess with your ability to boot into android (as long as u can already) or mess with root. safest of 2 choices.
run the following commands below in windows command prompt then power off.. boot to download mode and try again with LGUP.
Code:
adb root
adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc

possibility #2: flash the original stock boot.img back to your phone instead of using the debug boot img (which may or may not be breaking access to storage)... and hopefully with a stock boot img you get access to storage back.. or it somehow makes LGUP work again. But discussion for possibility #2 is more suited for the ADB root thread, not here.

but you would have to obtain the original boot.img for the exact build you're on.. so if you're using H860 10M.. you need a H860 10M stock boot.img (this can be extracted from the stock KDZ you used to flash your phone to M using tools found on XDA).

then you would have to put the stock boot.img onto the phone.. then using adb root shell.. flash the stock boot.img you placed on the phone into the boot partition. commands for that would look something like the following:
Code:
adb push stock-boot.img /data/local/tmp
adb root
adb shell
dd if=/data/local/tmp/stock-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot

at this point you have just flashed the stock boot.img back to the boot partition.. removing the debug boot img.
when you reboot the phone.. android will now be running your stock boot.img and not the debug boot img.
you will no longer have access to adb root... but stock boot img MAY fix access to storage.. and it MAY fix flashing a KDZ in LGUP.
it also may not fix anything because something from the adb root procedure has messed things up even more than I've assumed.
wont know for sure until someone tests. Id assume you could re-run the adb root steps to get the debug boot img back in the future.

Hunikel

Jul 31, 2014
Paris
possibility #1: zero out your misc partition using adb root shell while booted in android... then immediately power off the phone (pull battery) then boot right into download mode and try reflashing in LGUP.. both 1.11 and 1.14+UPPERCUT. this shouldnt mess with your ability to boot into android (as long as u can already) or mess with root. safest of 2 choices.
run the following commands below in windows command prompt then power off.. boot to download mode and try again with LGUP.
Code:
adb root
adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc

Thank you thank you thank you ! I did it ! and Uppercut with LG UP 1.14 did detect my phone ! I just Upgraded to N and storage is there ! I'll redirect people who had the same problem as me to this thread :)

But for the second solution, It seems someone already tried it and it bricked his phone, so I don't think It'll be wise for people to try it.

P.S : If you still still the other infos about my situation just tell me and I'll give every detail.

woundman

Feb 11, 2016
UPPERCUT worked for my LG G Pad X 8.0 V521. Refurbished wouldn't work, so I used stock recovery (like mentioned) to restore to defaults. I'm tempted to write a guide on the forums since it went so smoothly compared to all the other guides, ect... Thank you!!!!!

Reactions: autoprime

djevil

Aug 22, 2016
Thanks for this guide I got my lg g5 back up and running again

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

darkseid4nk

Nov 16, 2015
@autoprime heres one for you. I have an unrooted lg v20 that has a build.prop tweak making it think it is a pixel xl. No twrp. Dirtycow wont root it. Uppercut loads it but lgup detects it as a pixel so i cannot flash an official tmo kdz. Nobody has a work around.

spacekiller67

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks for this tool !
You just helped me to unbrick my V10 :D

So refurbish doesn't worked for me but "Updated" flashed without any issues.
V10 F600L
V20Q -----> V20E
I haven't tried to downgrade to 5.1.1 (V10i) but I will ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    36JVXFJ.png

UPPERCUT allows LGUP to instantly work with a ton of different LG models. No more hunting around for specific model files or being stuck without your model being detected. Simply install LGUP. Double-click the UPPERCUT.exe and LGUP will open and detect your device.

Information:
    What's LGUP? LGUP is LG's internal Windows-only tool for flashing LG devices with stock firmware in KDZ, DZ and TOT formats. Previously extra installers and unique settings were needed for each model. Many less popular devices didn't have the files needed to work with their device.Well with UPPERCUT just double-click the EXE and LGUP will open and recognize your device.

Requirements:
    1. Windows computer or virtual machine.
    2. LG's Windows USB drivers installed and working.
    3. LGUP 1.14 installed
    4. LG device must show in Windows Device Manager under "Ports" as a LG Serial COM port.
    5. KDZ, DZ or TOT file for your device.

How-to:
    1. With all requirements above met... download and unzip UPPERCUT.
    2. Double-click the UPPERCUT.exe every time you want to use LGUP. It's that simple.
    Ldo2KEF.png

Downloads:
    UPPERCUT | LGUP | LG G5 Files | LG USB Drivers

When LGUP works for your model please post it in the thread! List:
    your model (H850, D852, F600L etc..)
    the software build you were on before flashing in LGUP (10A, 22C, 30B etc..)
    the KDZ or TOT name you flashed using LGUP (H91810i_00_1202.kdz etc..)

Versions:
    1.0.0.0 - Supports LG devices using a MSM 8996/8994/8992/8976/8952/8939/8937/8916/8909/8226 chipset. Street Fighter 2 SFX.

Let me know which combos do/dont work for you... UPPERCUT version, LGUP version, Current phone software version and KDZ/TOT software version and if the KDZ/TOT is custom or official.

Devices Supported:
    G4, G5, G6, V10, V20, Flex 2, G Pad X, K10 and many more!

FAQ:
    Q: Why isn't this working?
    A: UPPERCUT requires LGUP 1.14 (not 1.11) installed in its default location prior to running.

Q: Why isn't anything happening when I press the boxing glove picture in this thread?
    A: Really? ...

Q: What is this?
    A: This is the simplest way to make LGUP work with your LG device.

Q: Refurbish option in LGUP doesn't work, what now?
    A: Boot into stock recovery after the flash finishes and perform a factory reset. This is the same outcome as if Refurbish was selected.

Q: Why does this TOT file keep failing?
    A: In most cases you're either trying to downgrade and it has been blocked by your phones download mode (not anti-rollback fuse.. that is different)... OR you are trying to use a custom-made TOT file which is not official or signed by LG. Flash an official KDZ instead. Do not ask for KDZs in this thread.. not the place.

Q: Where can I find a KDZ for my phone?
    A: This is not a KDZ thread. Take the KDZ questions elsewhere.

Q: Why is my anti-virus scanner flagging this?
    A: It's a false positive. Scanners like Kaspersky know better and don't flag the app but some others do. See post #59 for more info.

Q: Why is my device's model not detected in LGUP?
    A: Make sure your devices chipset is supported by UPPERCUT. All models and software variants may not be supported even though chipset is listed.
    If using a confirmed working device with UPPERCUT but your device is still not detected in LGUP you may have a "corrupted" misc partition...
    as a last resort it has been confirmed in post #70 that wiping misc then booting into download mode allows the device to be detected with UPPERCUT + LGUP 1.14. This may not always work. And without root you cannot do this.

For more G5 info see my All-in-One Thread HERE

Follow me on twitter for future updates on LG-related things - twitter.com/@utoprime

Find this thread helpful? Hit the Thanks button!
    Feeling extra generous? Click my name at the top of any post and hit donate or click here.

#TEAMCODEFIRE
    this post looks best in desktop view using 2015 dark theme
    H840 model upgrade to Nougat

For people who could not update the model mentioned in the title:

Good afternoon friends, as my first contribution with XDA, I want to make available here how to do the original rom update of LG G5 SE H840. I bought mine on tim, my rom is linked to the carrier, I searched on various forums and did not find anything about whether I could upgrade to rom pro Nougat, and it can. I tested it here, it worked perfectly, I did it in the upgrade mode, I did not even have to format the cell phone, and then there was no connection with the ROM operator.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all I want to make it clear that I do not take responsibility for damage to any appliance, carry out the steps down on its own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to leave here the credits for the forum XDA, autoprime, and Kevin Gaan.

First step:
    Enter this link: xdaforums.com/lg-g5/development/uppercut-lgup-loader-g5-variants-t3511295

Download the UPPERCUT | LGUP | LG USB Drivers

Install the LG USB Drivers first
    After that, install the LGUP
    After installing LGUP, extract the UPPERCUT folder where you installed your LGUP
    After that, download the KDZ (Rom Nougat from the device): drive.google.com/uc?id=0Bz-wrJOZFR3ba0RYWHByVkF1LVU&export=download
    After downloaded, plug your LG into the pc and put it in file transfer mode
    Then start the UPPERCUT that is inside the LGUP folder (which you extracted)
    Soon after, it will recognize your LG, and will open a window, first select the UPGRADE option
    At the bottom where it is written .BIN, click on it and select the file H84020a_00_OPEN_SCA_OP_0426.kdz (which I made available on the google drive link)
    Shortly thereafter, click Start and let the program complete itself
    After this, be happy with your LG G5 SE H840 with android Nougat free carrier.
    Jotti scan shows a Trojan, however no mention of having to disable antivirus software in order to use UPPERCUT in the initial thread. Just looking for confirmation that this is normal behavior, perhaps a md5 hex?

it's a false positive. using virus total, the detection ratio is 18 / 55. Which means more AVs find nothing wrong with the file. I personally base my checks on Kaspersky for most things.

currently hosted UPPERCUT_1.0.0.0.exe md5 = 80ba7ee6db475c0540509b3286fee232

EXE doesn't touch any Windows system files despite what others have suggested... but if anyone is suspicious of my intentions they can choose not to run UPPERCUT.

Anyone have a mirror this one says im blocking ads and im not.

perhaps something is being at HOSTS level... or @ router level etc. You should see 2 banner ads on each CF page... if not then they are being blocked somehow/someway. They are currently always google ads so if someone is blocking google ads somewhere.. that'd do it.
    Thanks a lot for this wonderful tool.
    Now UPPERCUT Version 1.0.0.1 file removed, can anyone please give the link for version 1.0.0.1, i want to downgrade from nougat to marshmallow.

everything from original 1.0.0.0 + 1.0.0.1 is added into NEW final 1.0.0.0 which is now added to OP.
    if you cannot downgrade with the current 1.0.0.0... then using 1.0.0.1 wouldn't have worked either.

some users have reported downgrading directly from N to M working. I have seen H850 users in other threads say they can downgrade without unlocking the bootloader or needing TWRP to flash the old M bootloader. Can anyone else confirm? What about other G5 models? What about other non-G5 devices?

I can confirm that H830 CANNOT downgrade from N to M without unlocking the bootloader, rooting, installing TWRP and flashing the M bootloader/bootstack first. I've used UPPERCUT to flash everything.
    Hello, I tried downgrade my LG V10 H960a from Android 7 (H960A30b_00_0616.kdz) to Android 6 (H960A20e_00_0213.kdz) using Uppercut. I got error message "Error 0x2000 file does NOT support REFURBISH process" at 4%. My anti-rollback is 0. So I guess there is no way to downgrade to MM from Nougat or did I do something wrong? :confused: Thank you :)

Switch from REFURBISH to UPGRADE.

Make sure all your data has been backed up before.

When you reboot, a lot of system errors will occur, because your /data will not jive with the new "old" MM /system. You'll want to do a factory reset asap.