Xposed for nougat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Nosferatu.

Dec 20, 2011
Tampa, Florida
so silly question regarding Xposed (didn't feel the need to start a new thread)

Why are there certain features in certain apps REQUIRE Xposed to function. e.g. Greenify has additional features with it. The YouTube ad blocking and background playback require it. Why can't some of these features be activated "as is" with root capabilities already in a device?

I understand if it's something that's modifying the appearance of a device but for certain basic features why do the apps NEED Xposed to function?

Reactions: MrWilsonxD

light711

Jan 11, 2017
Yup looking forward to the release for nougat...See if I can get android pay working on it. They are working hard on it though from looking at their thread. Use it to hide root and custom ROM becAuse apps have code to detect root, they do this for security reasons mainly

Last edited:

Spott07

Jun 14, 2015
Idaho

Why are there certain features in certain apps REQUIRE Xposed to function. e.g. Greenify has additional features with it. The YouTube ad blocking and background playback require it. Why can't some of these features be activated "as is" with root capabilities already in a device?

I understand if it's something that's modifying the appearance of a device but for certain basic features why do the apps NEED Xposed to function?
In a simple sense, Xposed takes deep system-level functions and makes them available for apps and modules to access at user level, and provides a standardized "framework" of programming labels and methods to access them with.

For security reasons, these system-level functions are inaccessible in a stock OS. Root makes it possible for users to modify things that may potentially make the OS unusable or insecure, or for apps to modify system settings, or for apps to modify other apps, or for the OS to connect things that are intentionally segregated.

Root-level access allows modification of these functions, but only at the time the root-enabled app in question is launched or running. Some of these functions may (at that time) already be in use by other apps or parts of the OS, and using root to modify a running function can cause other apps to crash, or cause parts of the OS to crash, or cause the kernel to crash, or even corrupt data on the device. Additionally, if different apps were to use separate root access to modify the same function in different ways, it could compound this problem exponentially.

Xposed eliminates these problems, by going far beyond simple root access. Xposed pre-loads the modules during boot, so that functions are accessed and modified before the OS or any apps start using them. (This is why enabling or disabling Xposed modules always requires a reboot, and why Xposed modules don't need to request root access.) Also, the standardized Xposed framework causes all modules to access and modify functions using the same methods, which eliminates a majority of potential conflicts between these modifications.

Additionally, there is extensive documentation and a very large community for doing things "the Xposed way," so it's also much easier for developers to use Xposed for these system-level modifications, instead of having to develop their own independent root-based methods each time.

I hope this helps explain the differences between basic root access, and what Xposed Framework adds beyond basic root. I apologize that it's not as simple an explanation as I hoped.

niko1plus

Dec 6, 2014
Yea I thumbed up spots post I s ay vote that post for a sticky. Because that's some "spot" on info.

Pardon teh pun.

Nosferatu.

Dec 20, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Spot thank you it was a great read and makes sense. The only thing I missed from Xposed was YouTube adaway and background playback. Sorry Google I'm not paying $120/year for that. I eventually got that feature working but had to do some extensive APK modifying and make sure not to update the Youtube app.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Thread cleaned
Absolutely NO discussion of warez or apps that steal from our developers is allowed on this site and is grounds for actions against accounts
Pay for apps and features and support development and XDA developers.
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
Spot thank you it was a great read and makes sense. The only thing I missed from Xposed was YouTube adaway and background playback. Sorry Google I'm not paying $120/year for that. I eventually got that feature working but had to do some extensive APK modifying and make sure not to update the Youtube app.
hi nos - semi-noob here. would it be possible to outline the steps that u took to mod YT to have bckgrnd playbck and no ads? myself and i assume many others would be very interested :)

KevinX8

Mar 12, 2013
hi nos - semi-noob here. would it be possible to outline the steps that u took to mod YT to have bckgrnd playbck and no ads? myself and i assume many others would be very interested :)
It's called Google very useful tool, direct links not allowed since they are Warez also mods on this thread are v strict

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

harpin14789

Nov 17, 2012
Dallas
It is possible to get her YouTube app without adds. And it is also possible to get background playback without Xposed. But just not together. OGyoutube enables you to get the background playback feature but has ads (you can still tweak AdAway to kill the ads). While there are arter97's patched adfree youtube apk, but they don't have background playback.

L33Tgod

May 18, 2016
Sarajevo
It is possible to get her YouTube app without adds. And it is also possible to get background playback without Xposed. But just not together. OGyoutube enables you to get the background playback feature but has ads (you can still tweak AdAway to kill the ads). While there are arter97's patched adfree youtube apk, but they don't have background playback.
Use OGYoutube it has everything background play and download option. And just enable normal AdAway and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In a simple sense, Xposed takes deep system-level functions and makes them available for apps and modules to access at user level, and provides a standardized "framework" of programming labels and methods to access them with.

For security reasons, these system-level functions are inaccessible in a stock OS. Root makes it possible for users to modify things that may potentially make the OS unusable or insecure, or for apps to modify system settings, or for apps to modify other apps, or for the OS to connect things that are intentionally segregated.

Root-level access allows modification of these functions, but only at the time the root-enabled app in question is launched or running. Some of these functions may (at that time) already be in use by other apps or parts of the OS, and using root to modify a running function can cause other apps to crash, or cause parts of the OS to crash, or cause the kernel to crash, or even corrupt data on the device. Additionally, if different apps were to use separate root access to modify the same function in different ways, it could compound this problem exponentially.

Xposed eliminates these problems, by going far beyond simple root access. Xposed pre-loads the modules during boot, so that functions are accessed and modified before the OS or any apps start using them. (This is why enabling or disabling Xposed modules always requires a reboot, and why Xposed modules don't need to request root access.) Also, the standardized Xposed framework causes all modules to access and modify functions using the same methods, which eliminates a majority of potential conflicts between these modifications.

Additionally, there is extensive documentation and a very large community for doing things "the Xposed way," so it's also much easier for developers to use Xposed for these system-level modifications, instead of having to develop their own independent root-based methods each time.

I hope this helps explain the differences between basic root access, and what Xposed Framework adds beyond basic root. I apologize that it's not as simple an explanation as I hoped.
    Why would you clean this mess rather than close it? What a disaster this was from the start.

We don't close threads because you as an individual or certain individuals decide they don't like a particular thread. You don't like a thread, don't participate in it or ignore it. It's that simple.
    That's interesting.
    I just asked that question in the google pixel forum for the exact same reason. I would install MM in a heartbeat. While nougat is good, xposed is the greatest.

I guess this is like the saying goes...
    "Great Minds Think Alike". LOL!!!

I also had just created a test flash for installing the BusyBox Stericson 1.25.1 Binary that looks like it is working with Marshmallow and Nougat ROM's. It also looks like the Symlink is working too.

I had worked on this because of the errors I was receiving when I was attempting to flash the BusyBox Binary flash file after the November Marshmallow and Nougat Security Patches were implemented (as everyone knows of the mess it also created for others like the Framework Rovo89 had to address).

I do have a test one I've finally finished and it seems to be successful on my end with the Marshmallow and Nougat i tested on in my device and should work on most of (but, may not on all) devices.

I do plan to create a thread soon for testing and, hopefully, full release.

Sent from my d2vzw using XDA Labs
    End of January'17 and still no xposed for Nougat, and last update from rovo89 was on November'16. This is taking even more than the move to Lollipop.

I'm starting to think that Xposed is dead until @rovo89 proves us otherwise. If every release he's gonna take more and more and more, it will come a point where Google takes less time to release a version than rovo89 takes to adapt to the prior release.

It was good until it lasted :(. thanks @rovo89 for all the ward work these years, it was awesome to be able to stay on stock and get features on modules...we will have to rely on custom roms again on the future :(
    Thank you for this important contribution to thread in general and Xposed framework in particular.

If I was rovo, seeing such ungrateful threads would probably discourage me to continue working on it. After all, rovo is doing xposed in his free time- he's got real life and real job, doing huge effort to bring one of the best things that ever happened on Android- for free.

Dude even didn't want to hear about donations although he was literally flooded with requests to donate to him, by people with more gratitude than you.

Now, considering that the percentage of Android 7 users is probably ranging from very small to negligible, what's the rush? Like most of us, you can choose between updsting os or staying at MM&Xposed. I have some device with N, other at MM with Xposed. And the world keeps rotating..

Be patient, it will most likely come sometime this year or next one.

And remember- rovo doesn't need to report to any of us nor does he owe us anything- on the opposite- we owe a lot to thank him for. Don't be ungrateful.
    When will this come?
    As soon as you've developed a Nougat compatible version of xposed and released it for us.