Replace KingoRoot with SuperSU manually without Terminal (2019)

Search This thread

evildog1

May 2, 2012
KingoRoot is annoying. No landscape support and battery lock screen cause my device to freeze. Support took 6 months to reply. I finally found a way to manually replace Replace KingoRoot with SuperSU without a script.

Before you get started, make sure you backup everything. I'm not responsible for any damages in your device.

Tip: You can use root without Kingouser but your device will be in high risk as any apps can grant permissions without your permission. I'd strongly recommended you to follow these steps for SuperSU replacement... or just keep Kingouser

What you need?
- CPU-Z app
- X-plore file manager app or other root explorer apps
- SuperSU flashable zip
- SuperSU app from playstore

Let's get started

Step by step:
EASY WAY - AUTOMATIC SWITCHING:
There is an easy way to switch to SuperSU but the change is low. Please go to page 2 or 3 for more infomation.
1. Delete/Uninstall Kingouser, but keep Kingoroot. DON'T reboot your device
3. Install SuperSU apk from flashable zip v2.79
4. Launch it, press "continue" and "normal" wait until the update is successful.
5. Reboot and uninstall Kingoroot

Thanks MarshisnotMellow for this trick

If this automatic switching fails, try manual switching

COMPLICATED WAY - MANUAL SWITCHING:
This might sounds complicated but I prefer doing it manually than executing a script in Terminal.

1. This is very IMPORTANT: Check your Kernel Architecture of your device using CPU-Z app. I bricked my device by placing wrong binaries for armv6 on a armv7 device by a mistake

In my example, my Kernel Architecture is armv7 so i'm gonna extract armv7 folder later
AHs6RDR.png

2. Download SuperSU V2.79: https://download.chainfire.eu/1016/SuperSU
Do NOT use v2.82 since it no longer have ability to reinstall binaries (SU binary occupied error), and it have "Android is starting" bug. See this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77303017&postcount=84

In the zip, there are 9 folders. I will list the folder below

META-INF = Signature and script for custom recovery
common = required files for SuperSU/rooting. init scripts are not needed

arm = arm11 / armv6. Devices like HTC Wildfire, Wildfire S, Galaxy Y etc
arm64 = armv8 / armv8l / arm 64-bit. Sony Xperia M5 etc.
armv7 = armv7l. For all popular devices, you know, Samsung S3 mini, HTC, Sony, LG, etc
mips = Unknown. Don't know which device is using mips
mips64 = Unknown. Don't know which device is using mips64
x64 = Unknown. Don't know which device is using x64
x86 = Any Intel CPU. Asus Zenfone, Bluestacks, Android emulator etc.

3. Open X-plore, open confuguraion and enable root access as Superuser + mount writable

4. Extract <Your architecture> and common folder in your device

Navigate to extracted folder on left pane and navigate to /system on right pane

KcfHMcs.png

6. Now we gonna replace and delete some files in the ROM very carefully! Do the following:

Tip: Press and hold on the file and select permission to change the permission

M5UpTnp.png

Skip step 6.1 if you already have SuperSU app installed

6.1. Install SuperSU as system app
Android 4.4.x and below: Copy: /common/Superuser.apk => /system/app
Android 4.4.x and below: Change permission to 644 (-rw-r--r--)

Android 5.0.x and above: Create a folder named "Superuser" or whatever
Android 5.0.x and above: Change permission to 755 (drwxrwxr-x)
Android 5.0.x and above: Copy: /common/Superuser.apk => /system/app/Superuser
Android 5.0.x and above: Change permission to 644 (-rw-r--r--)

6.2. Replace: /common/install-recovery.sh => /system/etc
6.3. Delete: /system/etc/install_recovery.sh

6.4. Replace: /<Your architecture>/libsupol.so => /system/lib

6.5. Rename "su" to "daemonsu"

6.6. Replace: /<Your architecture>/daemonsu => /system/xbin
6.7. Replace: /<Your architecture>/supolicy => /system/xbin

6.8. Delete: /system/app/kingouser.apk and uninstall it from Settings -> App (if it was installed as user app)

After you replace any files, make sure the new file still has the same permissions as the old file. X-plore does this automatically, that's why X-plore is the best file manager. Root Browser doesn't, and you will lost root or get bootloop after reboot. But, you can re-root with KingoRoot and do it again.

There is no need to replace "su" binaries since they are write protected, but SuperSU can replace them once you update it in STEP 8

7. That's all. Reboot your device

8. SuperSU will appear on app drawer. Open it and it will ask you to update the binary. Press "continue" and "normal". The update should be successful.

55NjVLk.jpg

9. Reboot your device one more time

Now you have a working SuperSU. Enjoy :D

Tested devices
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6t8puao1q5746v/Kingoroot to SuperSU tested devices.xlsx?dl=0

Most ARMv7 devices are tested and working. If you have a device with ARM64/v8 or x86, i need you to tell me the system files that Kingoroot have modified so i can find out which files to replace. PM me for more info

Regarding "Android is starting" bug
This is SuperSU 2.82 bug. Upgrade to SuperSU 2.82 r5 or downgrade to SuperSU 2.79 + binaries and use re-signed APK to block update from Playstore
SuperSU 2.82 r5 beta:
- https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
- https://download.chainfire.eu/1220/SuperSU/SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip

Credit:
Evildog1 (This tutorial)
Chainfire (SuperSU)

Last edited:

Rahul98076

Oct 19, 2014
Thanks Op for this thread.
I personally use super su but some devices make it hard to so I have to use king root(cough-lenovo-cough)
This is a good idea to do what you have told over flashing the zip as sometimes that can be complicated.
Can't wait to get home and try it out.
Will surely get back to you with device names

evildog1

May 2, 2012
Thanks Op for this thread.
I personally use super su but some devices make it hard to so I have to use king root(cough-lenovo-cough)
This is a good idea to do what you have told over flashing the zip as sometimes that can be complicated.
Can't wait to get home and try it out.
Will surely get back to you with device names
This thread is for Kingoroot with o, not Kingroot
Btw, replacing Kingroot with SuperSU failed. I have tried it.

sohamsen

Mar 30, 2016
Kolkata
working in galaxy ace s5830i
Armv6 arch
running cm11

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

OK here is a working list!
ROM:CyanogenMod11 Arch:Armv6
1.Samsung Galaxy Ace-i(S5830i) Code Name=Cooperve
2.Samsung Galaxy Ace(S5830i) Code Name=Cooper
3.Samsung Galaxy Y(S5360) Code Name=Totoro
4. 1.Samsung Galaxy Mini Code Name=Tassave

Reactions: evildog1

evildog1

May 2, 2012
working in galaxy ace s5830i
Armv6 arch
running cm11

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

OK here is a working list!
ROM:CyanogenMod11 Arch:Armv6
1.Samsung Galaxy Ace-i(S5830i) Code Name=Cooperve
2.Samsung Galaxy Ace(S5830i) Code Name=Cooper
3.Samsung Galaxy Y(S5360) Code Name=Totoro
4. 1.Samsung Galaxy Mini Code Name=Tassave

Err... are you using CM11 with Kingoroot?
CM11 is already pre-rooted.

Padly

Sep 8, 2013
Work perfectly with my experia e4 dual.

Im just write cat /proc/cpuinfo in terminal for check my kernel architecture. ?

Sent from my E2115 using XDA Forums Pro.

aarick

Feb 18, 2010
Won't this work instead?
Install SuperSU (I used SuperSU Pro) from the play store and grant it superuser access. When prompted, install updated su binary with the normal mode. Once installed successfully, uninstall Kingoroot and Superuser app. Reboot.

That's what I did on an android 6.0 headunit I have and seems to work. But maybe there is a benefit of avoiding kingoroot completely?

Mr.Ak

Jan 14, 2015
*RESTRICTED AREA*
This thread is for Kingoroot with o, not Kingroot
Btw, replacing Kingroot with SuperSU failed. I have tried it.

https://xdaforums.com/canvas-knight/themes/trick-switch-kingroot-to-supersu-easily-t3426965
here's a guide but needs terminal in order to work.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Won't this work instead?
Install SuperSU (I used SuperSU Pro) from the play store and grant it superuser access. When prompted, install updated su binary with the normal mode. Once installed successfully, uninstall Kingoroot and Superuser app. Reboot.

That's what I did on an android 6.0 headunit I have and seems to work. But maybe there is a benefit of avoiding kingoroot completely?

seems like a great alt. procedure to me,this should go to OP,if anyone else confirms this?

evildog1

May 2, 2012
Won't this work instead?

This did not work for me on 4.1.2-5.1.1. SuperSU always say Install failed no matter how many times i tried. That's why i made this guide.

oreo27

Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for the detailed post. I once ran across this problem and this will definitely help me with other devices.

Reactions: evildog1

aarick

Feb 18, 2010
Didn't​ work for thousands of us! Maybe you updated SuperSU binaries via custom recovery?

Big thanks @evildog1 for this guide!!!

I wish, but I'm using an android mtcd px5 head unit and no one has a custom recovery for it..
I was really just suggesting as an option to try as it worked for me and less complicated.. But guess it's only this device that allowed it..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KingoRoot is annoying. No landscape support and battery lock screen cause my device to freeze. Support took 6 months to reply. I finally found a way to manually replace Replace KingoRoot with SuperSU without a script.

Before you get started, make sure you backup everything. I'm not responsible for any damages in your device.

Tip: You can use root without Kingouser but your device will be in high risk as any apps can grant permissions without your permission. I'd strongly recommended you to follow these steps for SuperSU replacement... or just keep Kingouser

What you need?
    - CPU-Z app
    - X-plore file manager app or other root explorer apps
    - SuperSU flashable zip
    - SuperSU app from playstore

Let's get started

Step by step:
    EASY WAY - AUTOMATIC SWITCHING:
    There is an easy way to switch to SuperSU but the change is low. Please go to page 2 or 3 for more infomation.
    1. Delete/Uninstall Kingouser, but keep Kingoroot. DON'T reboot your device
    3. Install SuperSU apk from flashable zip v2.79
    4. Launch it, press "continue" and "normal" wait until the update is successful.
    5. Reboot and uninstall Kingoroot

Thanks MarshisnotMellow for this trick

If this automatic switching fails, try manual switching

COMPLICATED WAY - MANUAL SWITCHING:
    This might sounds complicated but I prefer doing it manually than executing a script in Terminal.

1. This is very IMPORTANT: Check your Kernel Architecture of your device using CPU-Z app. I bricked my device by placing wrong binaries for armv6 on a armv7 device by a mistake

In my example, my Kernel Architecture is armv7 so i'm gonna extract armv7 folder later
    AHs6RDR.png

2. Download SuperSU V2.79: https://download.chainfire.eu/1016/SuperSU
    Do NOT use v2.82 since it no longer have ability to reinstall binaries (SU binary occupied error), and it have "Android is starting" bug. See this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77303017&postcount=84

In the zip, there are 9 folders. I will list the folder below

META-INF = Signature and script for custom recovery
    common = required files for SuperSU/rooting. init scripts are not needed

arm = arm11 / armv6. Devices like HTC Wildfire, Wildfire S, Galaxy Y etc
    arm64 = armv8 / armv8l / arm 64-bit. Sony Xperia M5 etc.
    armv7 = armv7l. For all popular devices, you know, Samsung S3 mini, HTC, Sony, LG, etc
    mips = Unknown. Don't know which device is using mips
    mips64 = Unknown. Don't know which device is using mips64
    x64 = Unknown. Don't know which device is using x64
    x86 = Any Intel CPU. Asus Zenfone, Bluestacks, Android emulator etc.

3. Open X-plore, open confuguraion and enable root access as Superuser + mount writable

4. Extract <Your architecture> and common folder in your device

Navigate to extracted folder on left pane and navigate to /system on right pane

KcfHMcs.png

6. Now we gonna replace and delete some files in the ROM very carefully! Do the following:

Tip: Press and hold on the file and select permission to change the permission

M5UpTnp.png

Skip step 6.1 if you already have SuperSU app installed

6.1. Install SuperSU as system app
    Android 4.4.x and below: Copy: /common/Superuser.apk => /system/app
    Android 4.4.x and below: Change permission to 644 (-rw-r--r--)

Android 5.0.x and above: Create a folder named "Superuser" or whatever
    Android 5.0.x and above: Change permission to 755 (drwxrwxr-x)
    Android 5.0.x and above: Copy: /common/Superuser.apk => /system/app/Superuser
    Android 5.0.x and above: Change permission to 644 (-rw-r--r--)

6.2. Replace: /common/install-recovery.sh => /system/etc
    6.3. Delete: /system/etc/install_recovery.sh

6.4. Replace: /<Your architecture>/libsupol.so => /system/lib

6.5. Rename "su" to "daemonsu"

6.6. Replace: /<Your architecture>/daemonsu => /system/xbin
    6.7. Replace: /<Your architecture>/supolicy => /system/xbin

6.8. Delete: /system/app/kingouser.apk and uninstall it from Settings -> App (if it was installed as user app)

After you replace any files, make sure the new file still has the same permissions as the old file. X-plore does this automatically, that's why X-plore is the best file manager. Root Browser doesn't, and you will lost root or get bootloop after reboot. But, you can re-root with KingoRoot and do it again.

There is no need to replace "su" binaries since they are write protected, but SuperSU can replace them once you update it in STEP 8

7. That's all. Reboot your device

8. SuperSU will appear on app drawer. Open it and it will ask you to update the binary. Press "continue" and "normal". The update should be successful.

55NjVLk.jpg

9. Reboot your device one more time

Now you have a working SuperSU. Enjoy :D

Tested devices
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6t8puao1q5746v/Kingoroot to SuperSU tested devices.xlsx?dl=0

Most ARMv7 devices are tested and working. If you have a device with ARM64/v8 or x86, i need you to tell me the system files that Kingoroot have modified so i can find out which files to replace. PM me for more info

Regarding "Android is starting" bug
    This is SuperSU 2.82 bug. Upgrade to SuperSU 2.82 r5 or downgrade to SuperSU 2.79 + binaries and use re-signed APK to block update from Playstore
    SuperSU 2.82 r5 beta:
    - https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
    - https://download.chainfire.eu/1220/SuperSU/SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip

Credit:
    Evildog1 (This tutorial)
    Chainfire (SuperSU)
    Excuse sir!
    So you say that you can install Magisk without a custom recovery?
    Just install Magisk Manager and tap on install, delete Kingroot and reboot and done?
    Please answer me I'm so tired of trying to root
    My device:
    M4 SS4452
    5.1.1 Lollipop
    armv7

Yes.
    Install Latest Magisk Manager, open Magisk Manager, authorize root privileges to MagiskManager via KingRoot, Press on Install, Select Direct Install.
    Once Boot partition has been successfully flashed press Close.
    Go to KingRoot -> UNroot
    Restart the phone and check Magisk Manager
    Won't this work instead?

This did not work for me on 4.1.2-5.1.1. SuperSU always say Install failed no matter how many times i tried. That's why i made this guide.
    Now you have a working SuperSU

Thanks evildog, been looking for long time for a way to get rid of kingo apps, finally your method worked for my tablet Micromax P680.
    Didn't​ work for thousands of us! Maybe you updated SuperSU binaries via custom recovery?

Big thanks @evildog1 for this guide!!!

I wish, but I'm using an android mtcd px5 head unit and no one has a custom recovery for it..
    I was really just suggesting as an option to try as it worked for me and less complicated.. But guess it's only this device that allowed it..