[ROM] ★ NotaBene v1.0 ★ [Marshmallow 6.0.1][Rel.DPK1][N910W8/N910T][trltecan][Note 4]

Search This thread

JPHCCFC

Apr 9, 2006
Toronto Canada
Great rom, super stable and good battery life. I've finally managed to get app settings working for dpi per app. I found v1.13 which works with marshmallow [emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigger31337

Tesla

Oct 15, 2012
i.imgur.com
Hi all.
Please let me/us know if you try it on a SM-N910F and how you did to make everything work.
Please try bluetooth. Need it for a Gear 2 neo.

//Tesla.

nighthawk29

Feb 17, 2009
Mississauga
I wanted to like this but man it's laggy on my Note 4 (N910W8).

-Boot/startup is very laggy it seems (for me anyway) more than stock is/was.
-Samsung Keyboard has a blank gap above the keyboard if Predictive Text is enabled.
-S Health when in Settings-> Units, Settings->Connected Services (and one other setting screen which I forget since I went back to stock rooted) shows a blank screen so I can't set which units/options I prefer.
-Gear Manager doesn't show the 3-dots in the Settings->Apps to select from "Uninstall", "Reorder" and "Download history". I can press in the top right and select it and see the options after but the dots are missing meaning apps I may not be familiar with I may not realize have certain options/settings.

Anyway, that was what I found within a short time and was enough to turn me away (for now until fixed) and back to stock rooted for the time being. Too many small bugs (so who knows if I'll find bigger issues) for me to want to deal with.

Reactions: Tesla

seriosbrad

Sep 2, 2010
Alberta

-Boot/startup is very laggy it seems (for me anyway) more than stock is/was.
-Samsung Keyboard has a blank gap above the keyboard if Predictive Text is enabled.
-S Health when in Settings-> Units, Settings->Connected Services (and one other setting screen which I forget since I went back to stock rooted) shows a blank screen so I can't set which units/options I prefer.
-Gear Manager doesn't show the 3-dots in the Settings->Apps to select from "Uninstall", "Reorder" and "Download history". I can press in the top right and select it and see the options after but the dots are missing meaning apps I may not be familiar with I may not realize have certain options/settings.

Anyway, that was what I found within a short time and was enough to turn me away (for now until fixed) and back to stock rooted for the time being. Too many small bugs (so who knows if I'll find bigger issues) for me to want to deal with.

910W8 here as well, but no issues.

Tigger31337

Jan 10, 2012

<snip>

That's a lot of issues that I (nor any other 910W8 user, apparently) have not encountered.
This ROM is essentially Samsung's latest stock firmware with the tweaks I mention on Post #1 (rooted, deodex, etc.) And those tweaks shouldn't produce the app-level problems you're describing.

Because so many others (myself included) are able to run the ROM flawlessly on your exact same model, I'm wondering if you just need to perform another (proper) wipe before attempting to flash again.

What recovery are you using? You might need to perform the wipe twice.

I run NotaBene as my daily driver on a 910W8 and it's rock solid with pretty zippy performance. *shrug* I dunno what else to say.

Last edited:

nighthawk29

Feb 17, 2009
Mississauga
That's a lot of issues that I (nor any other 910W8 user, apparently) have not encountered.
This ROM is essentially Samsung's latest stock firmware with the tweaks I mention on Post #1 (rooted, deodex, etc.) And those tweaks shouldn't produce the app-level problems you're describing.

Because so many others (myself included) are able to run the ROM flawlessly on your exact same model, I'm wondering if you just need to perform another (proper) wipe before attempting to flash again.

What recovery are you using? You might need to perform the wipe twice.

I run NotaBene as my daily driver on a 910W8 and it's rock solid with pretty zippy performance. *shrug* I dunno what else to say.

I apologize and stand corrected, since I went back to stock as mentioned but had no time to do much until today in setting it back up and on stock rooted those same issues are popping up (well the Gear Manager and S Health issues) show up after those apps updated to the most current versions so must be a samsung issue with the apps. Just seemed to be bad timing I guess, LOL.

As for the question about recovery, I have TWRP 3.0.2.0 installed for Note 4 (Canada). I always do the wipe twice but will try 3 times when I get the chance to try this out again and see lol. Busy week at work before vacation coming up but when I get the chance I will report back.

Thanks for the reply and I apologize again for that misinformation and mistake on my part lol.

nighthawk29

Feb 17, 2009
Mississauga
So, to report back with another update... even stock (no root) still has the issues in the Gear Manager (so must have been the latest update broke it in general) but I think with S Health was caused by root or Xposed but cleaning it's cache and data for the app fixed that one it seems. Just noticed S Health (now Samsung Health) was updated this morning and the issue is fixed without having to clean the cache (also have xposed installed before it updated) so Gear and Health were definitely Samsung issues.

I went back to this rom, but noticed the Samsung Keyboard still has the blank white space where the predictive text should be located but it's not a big deal, I just install and use Swiftkey anyway. Not sure what I did differently but seems to be running better for me this time than the first time and I didn't do anything new/different.

Tigger31337

Jan 10, 2012
So, to report back with another update... even stock (no root) still has the issues in the Gear Manager (so must have been the latest update broke it in general) but I think with S Health was caused by root or Xposed but cleaning it's cache and data for the app fixed that one it seems. Just noticed S Health (now Samsung Health) was updated this morning and the issue is fixed without having to clean the cache (also have xposed installed before it updated) so Gear and Health were definitely Samsung issues.

I went back to this rom, but noticed the Samsung Keyboard still has the blank white space where the predictive text should be located but it's not a big deal, I just install and use Swiftkey anyway. Not sure what I did differently but seems to be running better for me this time than the first time and I didn't do anything new/different.

That's great. Thanks for your troubleshooting and updating the community with your findings! :cool:

mustard007

Nov 26, 2009
Hi !
I trying to set Selinux to permissive into Selinux mode changer but I'm not able to do it. Like Knox is not disabled.

I want to do this to install Viperaudio. It's installed but not processing. In phone info I see Selinux set to enforcing.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

seriosbrad

Sep 2, 2010
Alberta
I want to do this to install Viperaudio. It's installed but not processing. In phone info I see Selinux set to enforcing.

This is what I flashed to avoid having to mess around with SE changing apps. Processes just fine for me!
ViPERAudio 5.4 Stock.zip
then
ViPER4Android-supolicy.zip

(chglog of apk's removed... coming soon.)
Thanks for this, I'll be sure to flash the Slim next time. Took me like an hour to de-bloat myself with Titanium Backup. Definitely be interested to compare what we removed.

Reactions: mustard007

elitedz

Dec 12, 2015
thanks for the slim version ^^ maybe you can make a debloat script and share it ? or just share the debloated apps list. take a look to the attached script

Attachments

• updater-script.zip
    841 bytes · Views: 32

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About
    Okay Canadians, I've got you covered. :)

Here's my contribution for breathing a little bit more life into an aging (but otherwise excellent) phone. I humbly present to you Nota Bene - a TouchWiz "Marshmallow" ROM for the Galaxy Note 4.

Supported Devices
    • Tested and confirmed fully functional on N910W8 Canadian models (Bell, Telus, SaskTel, MTS, Rogers, Fido, Wind, Freedom, Koodoo, etc.)
    • Might be compatible with other Note 4 variants that share the Qualcomm "Snapdragon" chipsets & FDD/LTE/WCDMA/GSM (e.g. 910F, 910G, etc.)
    • N.B. User desmond462 confirms he was able to flash this ROM on his Verizon N910V by first flashing the Canadian trltecan TWRP 3.0.2.0 recovery image. If you receive an incompatibility error when trying to flash this ROM on other Note 4 devices (N910T, N910V, etc.) then please try this fix.

Features

• Android v6.0.1 "Marshmallow"
    • Based on stock Samsung TW N910W8VLS1DPK1 firmware (latest release, as of this post)
    • Lightly themed (custom bootup/shutdown/lockscreen/wallpaper)
    • All APKs are zip-aligned (including the framework)
    • Fully de-odexed
    • Rooted (su.d support, latest SU root app v2.79-SR3)
    • Busybox installed
    • /data/app support
    • init.d support
    • Disabled Samsung KNOX security

Performance
    This is an absolutely rock-solid ROM due to default build and kernel. Every feature I tested worked just fine (but I'm sure you'll report any bugs). The camera driver in these stock TW ROMs beats every other AOSP ROM out there... period. I intentionally decided against bundling an overclocked kernel since none are currently stable enough. (Besides, you can easily set the CPU governor to "performance" and run the CPU at max speed constantly). Out of the box, I received Antutu scores as high as 84841, with 80000 being the average. (Click here for relative ranking.)

If you're looking for a stable "daily driver" for your Note 4, this is it. :)

Installation Notes
    Pre-Reqs:
    • Custom recovery required, obviously.
    • Like most devs, I recommend you wipe at least your /data, /cache, and the Dalvik/ART cache.
    Installation:
    • Download the Nota Bene v1.0 ROM (~1.5 GB) and copy to your phone's SD card.
    • Boot into your custom recovery, wipe the cache(s), and flash the ROM .zip.
    • The flash itself takes about 1 minute but the unpacking and configuration of the ROM took 13 Canadian minutes on my phone. (This ROM contains ALL of the default apps. In other words, it's big! Have patience.)

Thanks, and enjoy!
    Coming soon...

Coming soon (...if there's enough demand/interest):

• a debloated "slim" ROM.
      [UPDATE April 8, 2017]...and here it is! Click the link to download Nota Bene v1.0 SLiM (debloated) ROM.
    • custom "Galaxy Note 4" splash screen?
    • an odex'ed version of NotaBene? (this would perform slightly better than the de-odex'ed version, but you'd lose the ability to easily theme)
    • ??? you tell me!

Be good,
    Woah! What skins are you running on top of the rom?? Looks beautiful.

I am using nougat theme you have to flash 3 zip files below from Twrp recovery.
    1.https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862697385

2.https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224414711

3.https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862697391

And here you can grab wallpapers.
    https://xdaforums.com/note-4/themes-apps/s7-edge-pearl-wallpapers-2560-1440-note-t3532163

I am using nova launcher prime with Grace UX icon pack below.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dtaf.alonso.icon5
    [ROM] Nota Bene v1.0 SLiM released...

[ROM] Nota Bene v1.0 SLiM released...

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767152444

De-bloated version of NB is now available at the link above (or visit the first page of this thread).

Enjoy!

(chglog of apk's removed... coming soon.)
    Sound good man, so I have being using this rom for the pass 5 hours with no issues. Am using Ramkernel v6 with it for better battery life because this kernel is known to give better battery to stock, so am testing it. could you give me a link of the kernel use in this rom?, I forgot to take a backup of the kernel before flashing Ramkernel.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298942409