4GB RAM upgraded of my Nexus 5X

Search This thread

kobezhu

Jan 1, 2013
weibo.com
It is common in China.
F**K LG ! The quality is too low , I used to have the same problem and I paid RMB 480。

picture.php

I'm not very sure on how to overlay a picture onto a text?

Last edited:

Cathair2906

Sep 2, 2012
Since i posted this post, i learnt something about the CPU from 5x, and how can it be upgraded, let me explain to you guys first. :highfive:

The packaging technique of 5x is using PoP, or package on package, which the processor package has pads on the top for the RAM chip and BGA on the bottom to attach to the PCB, its saves board space at the expense of assembly cost. This simply means the RAM sits on top of the SoC.
http://www.androidauthority.com/how-it-works-systems-on-a-chip-soc-93587/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_on_package

640px-ASIC_%2B_Memory_PoP_Schematic.JPG

As fixing this bootloop issue, you have to remove the whole SoC+RAM block, why not upgrade the RAM chip together? :cool:

Cathair2906

Sep 2, 2012
Samsung K3QF3F30BM-QGCF

I was thinking TSMC cause the problem, as some of the Taiwanese pointed out some of the 810 chips from TSMC would cause Nexus 6P a bootloop problem as well, i sent my fd's his 6P to china fixing the bootloop problem, as it comes with 4GB originally, not necessary do any upgrade this time :D

chow018@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2014
wow! this is amazing. how much did it cost to you?

hey, i'm very happy to hear you guy had your nexus 5x fixed and brought it to a new life.
i just wonder where did you had the phone fixed and where the address the place was.
as i have a same nexus as you are, and it suffered a same problem,
i am live very near shenzhen, if you could tell me the address, i could also send my nexus to have a fix.
thx, best wish.

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

i just contact him via WeChat, however i don't believe he knows English well :eek:

btw, if your devices isn't get into Bootloop issue, i don't recommend you to upgrade it,

take your own risk if your devices cannot boot up after upgrade

pm me if you still want to do it.

hello, i am a chinese fan of nexus, i had a nexus 5x that suffered bootloop, i want to fix it , can you send me the contact? i can add his wechat. thx.

Cathair2906

Sep 2, 2012
hey, i'm very happy to hear you guy had your nexus 5x fixed and brought it to a new life.
i just wonder where did you had the phone fixed and where the address the place was.
as i have a same nexus as you are, and it suffered a same problem,
i am live very near shenzhen, if you could tell me the address, i could also send my nexus to have a fix.
thx, best wish.

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

hello, i am a chinese fan of nexus, i had a nexus 5x that suffered bootloop, i want to fix it , can you send me the contact? i can add his wechat. thx.

华吉智能手机维修中心 地址:深圳市福田区华强北远望数码城一楼1065

WeChat ID: HUijhuang

Reactions: marshy73

BrushXue

Apr 17, 2017
Do they have a webstore on Taobao? I can send my phone to have it upgraded when I come back to Beijing this summer.
My phone is a H791 (European edition). Is there any possibility to activate or unlock B39 for China Mobile and CDMA for Sprint?

CatMe0w

Apr 17, 2017
Where did you send your phone to? I'm in the city which you have fixed your phone probably and I decide to upgrade my Nexus 5X. Thanks.

nydmt

Oct 2, 2011
New York
Been doing tons of reading over the past few days on soldering... lol
I'm hoping I can become knowledgeable enough to attempt to replace the CPU and RAM of my 5X with the CPU and RAM of a V10. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts/tips on this? Read that it is difficult to work with BGA components and a heat gun, but I have seen it done.

scynthero

Dec 29, 2016
Wrocław
I'm hoping I can become knowledgeable enough to attempt to replace the CPU and RAM of my 5X with the CPU and RAM of a V10. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts/tips on this? Read that it is difficult to work with BGA components and a heat gun, but I have seen it done.

Give it to somebody that already have the knowledge, soldering bga is kind of ****ty thing and i don't recommend doing this DIY method.

andrep182

Feb 1, 2009
Irvine

Words of wisdom , attempting to replace BGA with just a heat gun is a nightmare, especially if you haven't done much of soldering before. Don't do it, and you're hearing this from someone who has a good amount of soldering experience. The likelihood of you messing up is just far exceed your success rate

crazyates

Feb 24, 2017
Sanford, ME
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Nexus 5x was bought last year from Hong Kong and got a bootloop issue just after the warranty :crying: So far, i know google has known this issue and there is a recall in US, Korean LG has offered a unlimited warranty to this bootloop issue. However, LG customer center from Hong Kong has rejected any maintenance of the cpu if outside its warranty :rolleyes:

Thereafter, i decided to send my 5x to China for CPU fixing, as the RAM is packed with the CPU together, the guy suggested me upgrading it to 3 or 4 GB RAM. That's how the 4GB RAM 5X comes out. :D

I've tested the OTA works fine from 6.0.1 to 7.1.1, all functions works fine too. :highfive:

Pqu2LEh.png

U0e6647.png

How does it work? #106

Since i posted this post, i learnt something about the CPU from 5x, and how can it be upgraded, let me explain to you guys first. :highfive:

The packaging technique of 5x is using PoP, or package on package, which the processor package has pads on the top for the RAM chip and BGA on the bottom to attach to the PCB, its saves board space at the expense of assembly cost. This simply means the RAM sits on top of the SoC.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/how-it-works-systems-on-a-chip-soc-93587/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_on_package

640px-ASIC_%2B_Memory_PoP_Schematic.JPG

As fixing this bootloop issue, you have to remove the whole SoC+RAM block, so why not upgrade the RAM chip together? :cool:

Thanks RO.maniac has provided the information of the repair shop #241, if you are going to contact him, please do communicate in CHINESE!!!

https://lihkg.com/thread/159418/page/5
    Just talked to the dude on WeChat, he confirmed RMB400 for CPU reflow and 4GB RAM upgrade.

I also made sense of his address in somewhat of an international format:
    Mr. Huang Jinhui
    Yuanwang Digital Mall, 1st floor 1065
    HuaQiang North Road
    Shenzhen, Futian District, HuaQiang North
    518000 Guangdong
    People's Republic of China

WeChat ID: 784439978
    Phone number: 15919836083

I will ship my other N5X first thing on Monday with the Romanian National Post Service. I will keep you updated, as soon as is gets to China. In like 2 weeks. :)

These are the photos of original 2GB RAM and Upgraded 4GB RAM Chips #164

2GB RAM Original 5X
    Q3h517e.jpg

4GB RAM Upgraded 5X
    1f12k90.jpg
    https://lihkg.com/thread/159418/page/5
    Just talked to the dude on WeChat, he confirmed RMB400 for CPU r̶e̶f̶l̶o̶w̶ reballing and 4GB RAM upgrade.

I also made sense of his address in somewhat of an international format:
    Mr. Huang Jinhui
    Yuanwang Digital Mall, 1st floor 1065
    HuaQiang North Road
    Shenzhen, Futian District, HuaQiang North
    518000 Guangdong
    People's Republic of China

WeChat ID: 784439978
    Phone number: 15919836083

I will ship my other N5X first thing on Monday with the Romanian National Post Service. I will keep you updated, as soon as is gets to China. In like 2 weeks.

Later edit: That shipping never happened. Exams and some poor money management sucked me dry of time and cash for a while. I will probably resume this some time in fall.

*Payment seems to be a problem since it would be done through WeChat Wallet that isn't available outside of China. Even if we make it pop up in the app by changing the language to Chinese, I'm having a hard time believing that it would support our variety of bank accounts and cards.
    So this is put to bed for some time...

**Another method would consist of purchasing the BGA Reballing stencils from Aliexpress and then finding a local shop that specializes in BGA Reballing for various chips and let them do it. It may be more expensive than the Chinese way and you're stuck with the existing 2GB of RAM, but I find it more convenient.
    http://goo.gl/9F5xum - Snapdragon 808 MSM(8992MS) BGA Reballing stencils for CPU and RAM.
    For everyone, who want to upgrade mainboard 5x with 4GB, you can buy this
    H791 Mainboard Motherboard 4G RAM
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/oud...for-LG-H791-32GB-Motherboard/32846103543.html
    haha nice :D how much is all the cost sir? can you send a screenshot of cpu-z ? :D
    this?
    czwsxJ5.png
    wow! this is amazing. how much did it cost to you?

i paid CNY 400, roughly USD $60 to fix it