[GUIDE] Installing B138 using Firmware Finder

Search This thread

DaNiEl4W

Apr 19, 2017
Same, but now stuck on B156 and cannot go to B181 or B182.. auth fails.. I guess its up to the Huawei gods to authorize me....
I also stuck on B156. The only thing that we could do is trying the higher version everyday, No one knows when the Huawei people will sign the firmware for us. I will not try B181 anymore, but directly B182.:laugh:

macfuji

Aug 20, 2006
Amsterdam / Tel Aviv
After trying to download c432B182 package......I ended up with 2 downloaded packages (I read some people do) not in updates but just in download folder.
How do I use these? Both are 1.73gb..

I'm on rooted C432 with RomAur v1.5

Any help would be appreciated....

goldybewon

Jun 11, 2016
Solve...
Riding on MHA-L29C567B190 with FF app.

Thanks,
goldybewon

Last edited:

giusmobile

Oct 3, 2011

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
thanks, I just posted on your thread [ROOT]SuperSU 2.82 about my problem (no camera app) after flashing the boot image. Could you gently reply there for some urgent help?

I was thinking about flash complete firmware again trough firmware finder and that's why I need recovery stock. would it be the right solution? any other way? thanks

Yes. And if Firmware finder doesn't want to flash you can use this: https://xdaforums.com/mate-9/how-to/guide-mate-9-flash-update-package-t3593108

If you updated to B172 through OTA you should be able to install at least that using Firmware Finder. But as you said, you need stock recovery for it so flash stock recovery first (using fastboot).

If you use the Flash guide you can install B189 right away.

Reactions: giusmobile

giusmobile

Oct 3, 2011
Yes. And if Firmware finder doesn't want to flash you can use this: https://xdaforums.com/mate-9/how-to/guide-mate-9-flash-update-package-t3593108

If you updated to B172 through OTA you should be able to install at least that using Firmware Finder. But as you said, you need stock recovery for it so flash stock recovery first (using fastboot).

If you use the Flash guide you can install B189 right away.

do I have to unroot first or directly flah recovery stock (using fastboot) and does FF works if the bootloader is unlock?

why do you think i did loose the camera after fashing the boot image that you gave me? would it be back if I just flash another boot image?

at the moment this is my situation:
- impossible to do factory reset from phone settings (FR just doesn't start and any message popup appears).
- format data from TWRP works but I get few app and no camera.
- I repeat the eddmecha root procedure but still no camera and during flash I get a few red “unable to mount storage” message.
- I tryed to flash your boot image and even a different one that I found from virtyx but still no camera and no factory reset available.
-even after flashing vityx boot.img of after any restore of my full backup (boot included) I get the ANDROID write logo during boot

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
do I have to unroot first or directly flah recovery stock (using fastboot) and does FF works if the bootloader is unlock?

why do you think i did loose the camera after fashing the boot image that you gave me? would it be back if I just flash another boot image?

I'm thinking something is wrong with your /product partition. If you still have root, check if you have Hwcamera2 in /product/app. A new boot image won't fix it, only a reinstall will. You will need to flash back stock recovery if you want to install using Firmware finder. If you want to use hwota (flash rebrand guide) you don't have to flash back stock.
And you don't need to unroot.

at the moment this is my situation:
- impossible to do factory reset from phone settings (FR just doesn't start and any message popup appears).
- format data from TWRP works but I get few app and no camera.
- I repeat the eddmecha root procedure but still no camera and during flash I get a few red “unable to mount storage” message.
- I tryed to flash your boot image and even a different one that I found from virtyx but still no camera and no factory reset available.
-even after flashing vityx boot.img of after any restore of my full backup (boot included) I get the ANDROID write logo during boot

What Format Data does is it wipes /data, so nothing remains in there. That's why you need to flash HW and Public zips after, else you don't have the pre-installed apps kept in /data.

But update using Firmware finder or HWOTA, it should fix your problems. And I would personally use HWOTA and update to B189.

Reactions: giusmobile

giusmobile

Oct 3, 2011
I'm thinking something is wrong with your /product partition. If you still have root, check if you have Hwcamera2 in /product/app. A new boot image won't fix it, only a reinstall will. You will need to flash back stock recovery if you want to install using Firmware finder. If you want to use hwota (flash rebrand guide) you don't have to flash back stock.

What Format Data does is it wipes /data, so nothing remains in there. That's why you need to flash HW and Public zips after, else you don't have the pre-installed apps kept in /data.

But update using Firmware finder or HWOTA, it should fix your problems. And I would personally use HWOTA and update to B189.
Yes, I'm still rooted (after restore my full backup) and I have Hwcamera2 in /product/app. what does it means?

giusmobile

Oct 3, 2011

I finally went trough FF and everything was fine but still b172 because I'm not sure b188 is better. what do you thinK? i read that some people are not happy with b188 and b189 (force close and lag) , did you tried them?
Now my Bootloader is looked again and I have a question : if I unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and then simply restore the complete backup that I made before, do I automatically get root without repeting the eddmecha procedure again? Thanks

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
I finally went trough FF and everything was fine but still b172 because I'm not sure b188 is better. what do you thinK? i read that some people are not happy with b188 and b189 (force close and lag) , did you tried them?
Now my Bootloader is looked again and I have a question : if I unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and then simply restore the complete backup that I made before, do I automatically get root without repeting the eddmecha procedure again? Thanks

I wouldn't know, I'm on C432.
You would have to Format - 'Format Data' to get /data to restore.

What partitions does your backup contain?

giusmobile

Oct 3, 2011
I wouldn't know, I'm on C432.
You would have to Format - 'Format Data' to get /data to restore.

What partitions does your backup contain?

all the partition! ( BOOT DATA MODEM SYSTEM VENDOR RECOVERY PRODUCT ......) and the backup comes from a good working configuration of one month ago. It is on same b172 . If it works I would prefere this way because Ido not have to repeat rooting and to restore 100 apps from titanium, all the settings and internal memory. which partition should I restore? all them ?
I already factory reset from stock recovery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: I don't take any responsibility for if you brick or damage your phone while doing this process - you are doing it on your own risk!!
    NOTE2: This applies (tested) to upgrade on C432 version using stock recovery

I tested this method myself despite I was very skeptic to it

What you need?

1. Charged phone
    2. Enabled installing unknown apps
    3. Download Firmware Finder from Google Store (the free version)

what next?

1. Run Firmware Finder

2. Go to settings and make sure options chosen like on the screen below
    vCatjc8.png

3. Tool will prompt to download Firmware Finder Proxy - do it then install it
    4. Go back to the tool and select firmware of your choice - make sure you select FULL (not OTA)
    0PEapRP.png
    then click Send firmware to update

5. Firmware Finder Proxy window will open - do as described - go to Wifi, advanced add manual proxy as local host with 8080 port
    6. Go to settings - update and choose three dots to download full package
    7. It will attempt to download it but it may fail (as in my case) with message about unstable internet connection - go back to wifi settings and disable proxy, go back to update and resume it - update should start to download then follow as on screen instructions

Voila

PS. I am not sure if Huawei started to sign updates again or this method just work :)
    New guide for Firmware Finder v2 (2017.11.21)
    1. Install FF from Play Store
    2. Run and go to settings. Check that In-App Proxy Port is 8080.
    3. In main window add model to search
    4. Choose ROM what you want to install. FullOTA is preferred type.
    5. [Optional] You are able to check firmware access (check if Huawei authorized this rom to you) using imei or not.
    6. Choose "In-App Proxy" and notice additional notification.
    7. Go to Settings / Wi-Fi / Long tap on your Wi-Fi network / Change network / Add proxy / Set the proxy with server = localhost and port = 8080 / Save
    8. Go to Settings / System update / New version will be there. If you chose FullOTA then tap on 3 dots menu / Download latest full package
    9. Notice new version and start to download
    10. After 5-10% pause download and go to Wi-Fi settings again and turn proxy off. If you leave proxy till 100%, phone can enter to multiple download state and you will waste too much traffic.
    11. Return to system update and resume download
    Screenshots:

Screenshot_20171121-104818.pngScreenshot_20171030-210142.pngScreenshot_20171030-205544.pngScreenshot_20171121-104857.pngScreenshot_20171121-104903.png
    Are you saying that I cannot even use a full package? I didn't download the update.
    So for going back to stock this will not work?

Hi, you'd have to flash stock recovery or use this method to update or rebrand to any rom:

https://xdaforums.com/mate-9/how-to/guide-mate-9-flash-update-package-t3593108

Cheers!
    Hi kartalgurhan, how did you do that?? I'm with the C636B158, I tried the first and the second ones and always got an error after the download. Which one did you use? Did you have the bootloader closed? Thanks!

You're not doing anything wrong. It's just that Huawei isn't authenticating it for your device.
    Is your phone rebranded? Especially if you rebranded L09 to L29, that could be the reason.

C636B172 is not being pushed out for all devices. Whether or not you are authenticated depends on the details of your device, and on Huawei's policy of authenticating the update. In the future they might decide to allow install on all devices, they might not. So far, they have opened most of the updates, but not all, to all devices, eventually. But based on what I can tell, they might be getting more strict about rebranded or out-of-region devices.
    Why will it not allow for full ROM download only ota?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

it actually did download the full 1.2 gig file, not the 500 meg OTA