[F3111/F3113/F3115][TWRP][3.1.0-0][UNOFFICIAL] TWRP recovery for XA Single Sim

Search This thread

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi all,

I'm happy to share with you my new TWRP recovery 3.1.0-0 built from sources. It works for Single Sim XA only.
As before you can't wipe /cache because it is used by TWRP and I don't know how to force unmount, decryption of /data doesn't work so if you want a full backup or explore files use an unencrypted data partition.

Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!ZxBBGTbA!C2FSqJE0Xv6yQDPlmzRkmGOVxYhRMMhe3Z2TGTCvCkg

Flash it with fastboot.

Have a nice day

Last edited:

Andrzej_Andrzej

Apr 1, 2017
backup

When I do backup with 3.1 TWRP and when I choose partitions to backup, it says: Data (excluding data stored in internal storage) - when backup is in progress info pop-ups that data will be backed up without eg. pictures or downloaded items.
My internal memory is not encrypted (was formatted) so why is that ?
This is not a case with previous 3.0.2 TWRP. ALL was included in backup.
regards,

Last edited:

Andrzej_Andrzej

Apr 1, 2017
Feature request

Hi rrvuhpg,
Is it possible for you to add complete DATA partition backup option in your recovery ?
I mean something like Data-image, so nothing would be excluded in backup.
Also if you could add phone battery charging when working in recovery, that would be very useful, please.
I know it sounds like "feature request", but maybe you could consider adding these items.
regards,

Reactions: d3nni

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi rrvuhpg,
Is it possible for you to add complete DATA partition backup option in your recovery ?
I mean something like Data-image, so nothing would be excluded in backup.
Also if you could add phone battery charging when working in recovery, that would be very useful, please.
I know it sounds like "feature request", but maybe you could consider adding these items.
regards,

Hi, sorry but I will not add the possibility to add complete DATA partition backup. I will verify on the old TWRP but it should not too, it's a decision taken by the TWRP dev team.
If you want the official answer look here: https://twrp.me/faq/backupexclusions.html
For the battery charging I don't need to add the feature, you phone is charging well throug TWRP (look at the recovery logs) it only doesn't show the battery level, it's more aesthetic than usefull but if I release an updated TWRP I will try to show it. A golden rule to know is to charge the battery before playing with backup/restore/update. :)

Andrzej_Andrzej

Apr 1, 2017
Hi, sorry but I will not add the possibility to add complete DATA partition backup. I will verify on the old TWRP but it should not too, it's a decision taken by the TWRP dev team.
If you want the official answer look here: https://twrp.me/faq/backupexclusions.html
For the battery charging I don't need to add the feature, you phone is charging well throug TWRP (look at the recovery logs) it only doesn't show the battery level, it's more aesthetic than usefull but if I release an updated TWRP I will try to show it. A golden rule to know is to charge the battery before playing with backup/restore/update. :)

Hi, ok I read this,and They say: "You may want to backup the internal storage as well but this is not possible in the TWRP GUI. You have to do it manually (e.g. with "tar" when your internal storage is mounted in TWRP".
Could you please explain how to do it manually using "tar", I mean how to backup Data partition manually ?
I am just curious why it is not recommnded to do full backup of Data including user data ?

Andrzej_Andrzej

Apr 1, 2017
Hi rrvuhpg,
Is it possible for you to make a tutorial how to make recovery TWRP for xperia xa single sim ?
What is configuration file for it and where it can be found? , how to compile it from sources ?
Which sources should one use ?
There are some tutorials about how to compile it, but not specifically related to xperia xa f3111.
What kind of tools should one use ?
You have an experience with it so based on it can you share your observations.
regards,

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi rrvuhpg,
Is it possible for you to make a tutorial how to make recovery TWRP for xperia xa single sim ?
What is configuration file for it and where it can be found? , how to compile it from sources ?
There are some tutorials about how to compile it, but not specifically related to xperia xa f3111.
regards,

Hi,
I don't need to make a tutorial, you can find all you need on Xda: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943625

and some very useful threads here : https://xdaforums.com/general/xda-university

Andrzej_Andrzej

Apr 1, 2017
Hi,
I don't need to make a tutorial, you can find all you need on Xda: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943625

and some very useful threads here : https://xdaforums.com/general/xda-university

Hi, I read those tutorials and I am learning at present a lot of new things, but it leaves me still with many to read and acquire.
I found your files on github: https://github.com/search?utf8=✓&q=device_sony_tuba&type=
and I was wondering if there were xperia xa configuration files. I figured those are for dual sim xa. So I would like to kindly ask you if you could put xperia xa single sim configuration files as when you do TWRP recovery for this phone (for which I am very grateful) anybody could use it and learn from it. Especially it is difficult to make boardconfig.mk correctly and not too many people write about xperia xa single sim building, compiling, etc. It is a not very popular smartphone I wonder. :)
I hope that it would be OK with you,
regards,

Last edited:

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi, I read those tutorials and I am learning at present a lot of new things, but it leaves me still with many to read and acquire.
I found your files on github: https://github.com/search?utf8=✓&q=device_sony_tuba&type=
and I was wondering if there were xperia xa configuration files. I figured those are for dual sim xa. So I would like to kindly ask you if you could put xperia xa single sim configuration files as when you do TWRP recovery for this phone (for which I am very grateful) anybody could use it and learn from it. Especially it is difficult to make boardconfig.mk correctly and not too many people write about xperia xa single sim building, compiling, etc. It is a not very popular smartphone I wonder. :)
I hope that it would be OK with you,
regards,

You can use the same device tree for single and dual (you can change all "tubads" by "tubass") , I will push changes to Github so you will have the correct Boardconfig. You will have to download the kernel tree from Sony or modify the Boardconfig to use a prebuilt kernel extracted from the modified boot or TWRP for your device.
If you want to learn I recommend you to try to build TWRP for a device who have a lot of documentation first, after it will be easy for you to do the same for XA.

Andrzej_Andrzej

Apr 1, 2017
You can use the same device tree for single and dual (you can change all "tubads" by "tubass") , I will push changes to Github so you will have the correct Boardconfig. You will have to download the kernel tree from Sony or modify the Boardconfig to use a prebuilt kernel extracted from the modified boot or TWRP for your device.
If you want to learn I recommend you to try to build TWRP for a device who have a lot of documentation first, after it will be easy for you to do the same for XA.

Hi, rrvuhpg
Once again thank you for prompt reply, help and understanding.
Thank you very much indeed. Of course as my knowledge will progress please expect a lot of questions from my side.:)
best regards,

cojocar.andrei

May 29, 2008
Sony Xperia XA2
Sony Xperia 5 II
No problem but if you have a lot of questions ask me in private message. I updated my Github on CM13 branch. Good luck :)

Hi @rrvuhpg,
I've asked for your help regarding the compilation of the kernel for xperia xa in a private message. I've tried to compile the kernel from your git, but I'm not seeing any zImage after the compilation. I've also downloaded the kernel archive from sony archives and succeeded compiling this one with the default config for a F3111 (tubass_defconfig). I got an *Image* binary file in the out directory, probably this one is the zImage, but I'm not sure if I need to do something else to this binary before packing it along with the ramdisk. I figured that you're doing something additionally. I'm doing this because I want to get rid of the dynamic brightness adjustments in the kernel. Please, can you help me?

Thanks.

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi @rrvuhpg,
I've asked for your help regarding the compilation of the kernel for xperia xa in a private message. I've tried to compile the kernel from your git, but I'm not seeing any zImage after the compilation. I've also downloaded the kernel archive from sony archives and succeeded compiling this one with the default config for a F3111 (tubass_defconfig). I got an *Image* binary file in the out directory, probably this one is the zImage, but I'm not sure if I need to do something else to this binary before packing it along with the ramdisk. I figured that you're doing something additionally. I'm doing this because I want to get rid of the dynamic brightness adjustments in the kernel. Please, can you help me?

Thanks.

Hi, your question is a little off topic here but I will answer you :mad:
In the "out" directory, don't use the zImage but zImage-dtb. You only have to pack it along with the ramdisk. If you have any questions please use your thread https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xa/help/dynamic-brightness-question-t3614808
Quote me if you need help ;)

JustTryIt130

Jul 13, 2017
Hi, rrvuhpg.
I've got a little problem. I flashed the Customized RU Firmware 33.2.A.4.70 half a year ago. I had installed TWRP and SuperSU. But now I flashed the Customized CE5 Firmware with the version 33.3.A.0.131 and I tried to flash TWRP via Adb and I get this error message everytime and I also tried to boot the custom recovery via Adb. It shows the Sony logo than Black-Screen and then it start normaly. I tried also to reflash the Firmware and flash other Firmware from other Countries.

Code:
C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
RQ3000F9PS      device

C:\adb>adb reboot bootloader

C:\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes sending 'recovery' (15814 KB)...
OKAY [  0.578s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: This partition doesn't exist)
finished. total time: 0.583s

C:\adb>fastboot boot recovery.img         
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.577s]                                      
booting...
OKAY [  0.043s]
finished. total time: 0.622s

I hope you can help me!

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi, rrvuhpg.
I've got a little problem. I flashed the Customized RU Firmware 33.2.A.4.70 half a year ago. I had installed TWRP and SuperSU. But now I flashed the Customized CE5 Firmware with the version 33.3.A.0.131 and I tried to flash TWRP via Adb and I get this error message everytime and I also tried to boot the custom recovery via Adb. It shows the Sony logo than Black-Screen and then it start normaly. I tried also to reflash the Firmware and flash other Firmware from other Countries.

I hope you can help me!

Hi, TWRP and boot for Marshmallow doesn't work for Nougat. You will have to wait for a new boot and recovery for Nougat (and a new guide to root it).

levone1

Dec 28, 2014
@rrvuhpg
Maybe you can help... I successfully flashed this on my XA MM, and flashed ultra slim MM rom, but rom will not boot. Usually just infinite boot animation, but once I got it to start 'optimizing apps', but rebooted about halfway. Do you think the recovery has anything to do with it? As you stated, I can't wipe cache, but install log shows successful cache format and system complete... Thanks

Last edited:

rrvuhpg

Jan 2, 2009
OnePlus 8 Pro
@rrvuhpg
Maybe you can help... I successfully flashed this on my XA MM, and flashed ultra slim MM rom, but rom will not boot. Usually just infinite boot animation, but once I got it to start 'optimizing apps', but rebooted about halfway. Do you think the recovery has anything to do with it? As you stated, I can't wipe cache, but install log shows successful cache format and system complete... Thanks

Hi, did you used the modified boot for the right firmware? Did you downgraded your firmware from Nougat without wiping Data or restored Nougat Data on MM? Did you changed root method (SuperSu to Magisk)? As I know no problem with TWRP or boot. I got the same problem if I downgrade from N to MM without wiping Data.

Reactions: levone1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I'm happy to share with you my new TWRP recovery 3.1.0-0 built from sources. It works for Single Sim XA only.
    As before you can't wipe /cache because it is used by TWRP and I don't know how to force unmount, decryption of /data doesn't work so if you want a full backup or explore files use an unencrypted data partition.

Download link:
    https://mega.nz/#!ZxBBGTbA!C2FSqJE0Xv6yQDPlmzRkmGOVxYhRMMhe3Z2TGTCvCkg

Flash it with fastboot.

Have a nice day
    Hi rrvuhpg,
    regards,

Hi,

Hi @rrvuhpg,

Thanks.

Hi, your question is a little off topic here but I will answer you :mad:
    In the "out" directory, don't use the zImage but zImage-dtb. You only have to pack it along with the ramdisk. If you have any questions please use your thread https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xa/help/dynamic-brightness-question-t3614808
    Quote me if you need help ;)
    @rrvuhpg

Hi, did you used the modified boot for the right firmware? Did you downgraded your firmware from Nougat without wiping Data or restored Nougat Data on MM? Did you changed root method (SuperSu to Magisk)? As I know no problem with TWRP or boot. I got the same problem if I downgrade from N to MM without wiping Data.