Root s7 at&t g930a & g935a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Charlie309

Jan 14, 2014
plus.google.com
Links

Warning this is engboot, meaning its not made to be used on day to day basis you may run into some issues. Hopefully we can fix them as we go!
Also do not update supersu through playstore untill we are for sure that it wont mess anything up

Notice from @Chainfire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
I'm just going to leave this here...

SuperSU-v2.74-2-S7QC.zip

You will need:
- Engineering boot images
- Patched version of Odin3 (only AT&T models ?)
- Extract files, and run root.bat with adb on the path

This version of SuperSU is not officially supported. I recommend against updating the APK from the Play Store, or otherwise updating the binaries, unless someone knowledgable has tried before you and confirmed it worked.

If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.

First of all thanks to @Chainfire for helping achieve su

I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your device, same goes for everyone that helped.

1. Download Modified Odin and Engineering Kernel
Odin:
d-h.st/gsDA[/url]

This is special Odin to bypass SHA-256 made by Princecosmy

Second file you will need is
Kernel:
G935A d-h.st/kDWz[/url] (Edge)
G930A d-h.st/o3hm[/url] (S7)
This is the engboot

2. Flash the kernel to your phone
a. Boot into download mode (Power, Volume Down, and Home button)
b. Put the Kernel file into AP on Odin
c. Flash, and boot phone

3. Download SuperSU made for our phone, and extract into C:\adb\super
(You're going to need to create the "super" folder)
SuperSU:

4 Open a command prompt in C:\adb
(Shift right-click in the folder, click "Open command window here")
then navigate to the super folder: type "cd super" into the command prompt

5 Enable USB debugging on your phone, and enter the following command into the command prompt
a. "Root.bat"
(This is what the command prompt will display when finished:

6. The program should run, reboot your phone, and you have root! :eek:

For the bounty id prefer if you just donate to

Makes more of a lasting impact then what i could do with any of it.

Again thank you to everyone who helped!

We made it fam!

If you are successful after rooting and can give better instructions please let me know!

Links have been hijacked. Any other sites I can download them? Chainfire's link is good though.

Monica Jae

Jun 21, 2014
am i supposed to be getting odin from this site: https://get.bramulfile.top/ because that's where it redirects me

and it's called odin.zip.iso? probably not, right? what is the EXACT NAME OF THE ODIN FILE PLEASE? is it Odin_.zip? odin.zip? ODIN.zip Odin.zip? Odin.zip.iso?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

and, are both "download" links legit? or just the blue one? because when hovering over the blue one, i can see the URL and it's the file, but the green one with the cloud shows that bramulfile.top URL.

so, someone mind telling it in a way that isn't confusing and doesn't have to be questioned? don't you look at your links? of course you don't. how silly of me.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Model dismatch means you are trying to flash either the wrong firmware or a version that is older than the one on your phone right now. Remember to only use the modified odin to flash the root kernels and use the latest odin version to flash official firmware. Go to odins website to make sure you have the latest version.

yeah, and i'm getting the image of the URL in my mind right now.

I'M NOT. my telepathy skill are waning today. so...

URL to ODIN WEBSITE? oR i guess i have to scan through 34089 pages to find it myself

Last edited:

jruka

Jan 19, 2017
Adware sucks! Big flashy virus warnings. But it's just ads. I get them, close the page and move on. Scare you into buying. That's all I have seen

loganbeck14

Aug 3, 2016
am i supposed to be getting odin from this site: https://get.bramulfile.top/ because that's where it redirects me

and it's called odin.zip.iso? probably not, right? what is the EXACT NAME OF THE ODIN FILE PLEASE? is it Odin_.zip? odin.zip? ODIN.zip Odin.zip? Odin.zip.iso?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

and, are both "download" links legit? or just the blue one? because when hovering over the blue one, i can see the URL and it's the file, but the green one with the cloud shows that bramulfile.top URL.

so, someone mind telling it in a way that isn't confusing and doesn't have to be questioned? don't you look at your links? of course you don't. how silly of me.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

yeah, and i'm getting the image of the URL in my mind right now.

I'M NOT. my telepathy skill are waning today. so...

URL to ODIN WEBSITE? oR i guess i have to scan through 34089 pages to find it myself
It is odin 3.12 princomsy.zip or odin 3.12.3.zip depending on if you are downloading the modified odin or not

downtown009

Jun 27, 2017
HELP??!!

**Hello all,

I've been trying to follow this thread, it's difficult with 136 pages. I apologize for anyone repeating their previous posts. I am new to this rooting concept. Short story - I brought my phone into a Tech place to get my phone rooted so I had a chance to recover deleted photos and videos (I accidentally deleted 15GB worth and no back up to cloud:( They had my phone for 5 full days trying to root it. I received a call today saying it was unsuccessful root. This can't be impossible, can it? Is there a chance to recover my photos and videos with rooting? Can anyone help? I have an ATT Samsung Galaxy S7, Model # G930A, Nouget 7.0. How do I begin this process of rooting and can anyone point me to a reliable recovery app? This is my last chance before giving up for good.

Thanks in advance, Matt**

crazyRut

Jul 10, 2017
I initially tried to use king root to root my device (noob) so now I followed these steps perfectly and I have downloaded the new nougat_s7_root_2_82_all_carriers_v1 (it is su 2.82 with everythong else you need like adb and fastboot) by ( shoot can't remember who released that for this root method) and it all went super smooth until su told me super binary occupied. Some one smart please help me. I can almost taste root.

Last edited:

Pseudomimic

Sep 16, 2016
Ok so I'may still using the ph1 update from months and months ago and haven't messed with my device settings since I got it stabilized. While it's been running beautifully this entire time I am starting to see drawbacks and stability issues I don't know how to fix. I would love to update to 7.0 and keep root. Could someone assist me with the easiest way to do that?

FilthyFord

May 27, 2014
Cleveland Tx
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Ok so I'may still using the ph1 update from months and months ago and haven't messed with my device settings since I got it stabilized. While it's been running beautifully this entire time I am starting to see drawbacks and stability issues I don't know how to fix. I would love to update to 7.0 and keep root. Could someone assist me with the easiest way to do that?

Download files in this thread, https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s7/how-to/firmware-g930a-qe1-android-7-0-6-4-2017-t3617101. use the latest Odin to flash them (Google odin, latest version is like 3.0.12 our something like that)

After you update to 7.0 go to this thread https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s7/development/g930aqe1stockdeodexedrootedrom-t3637870 and read instructions and follow the link in the thread to root. Once rooted you can flash file in my drop box. It is 100% stock 7.0 other than the cpu fixes i added to it and i fixed the fingerprint reader since it gets broken once you root.

Pseudomimic

Sep 16, 2016
Download files in this thread, https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s7/how-to/firmware-g930a-qe1-android-7-0-6-4-2017-t3617101. use the latest Odin to flash them (Google odin, latest version is like 3.0.12 our something like that)

After you update to 7.0 go to this thread https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s7/development/g930aqe1stockdeodexedrootedrom-t3637870 and read instructions and follow the link in the thread to root. Once rooted you can flash file in my drop box. It is 100% stock 7.0 other than the cpu fixes i added to it and i fixed the fingerprint reader since it gets broken once you root.

Thank you very much for the links and info. So I got this straight I'm going to update to an unrooted 7.0 using the supplied files and odin then will root afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning this is engboot, meaning its not made to be used on day to day basis you may run into some issues. Hopefully we can fix them as we go!
    Also do not update supersu through playstore untill we are for sure that it wont mess anything up

Notice from @Chainfire:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chainfire
    I'm just going to leave this here...

SuperSU-v2.74-2-S7QC.zip

You will need:
    - Engineering boot images
    - Patched version of Odin3 (only AT&T models ?)
    - Extract files, and run root.bat with adb on the path

This version of SuperSU is not officially supported. I recommend against updating the APK from the Play Store, or otherwise updating the binaries, unless someone knowledgable has tried before you and confirmed it worked.

If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.

First of all thanks to @Chainfire for helping achieve su

I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your device, same goes for everyone that helped.

1. Download Modified Odin and Engineering Kernel
    Odin:
    MOD EDIT: DOWNLOAD LINK REMOVED

This is special Odin to bypass SHA-256 made by Princecosmy

Second file you will need is
    Kernel:
    G935A (Edge) MOD EDIT: DOWNLOAD LINK REMOVED
    G930A (S7) MOD EDIT: DOWNLOAD LINK REMOVED
    This is the engboot

2. Flash the kernel to your phone
    a. Boot into download mode (Power, Volume Down, and Home button)
    b. Put the Kernel file into AP on Odin
    c. Flash, and boot phone

3. Download SuperSU made for our phone, and extract into C:\adb\super
    (You're going to need to create the "super" folder)
    SuperSU: https://download.chainfire.eu/968/Su....74-2-S7QC.zip

4 Open a command prompt in C:\adb
    (Shift right-click in the folder, click "Open command window here")
    then navigate to the super folder: type "cd super" into the command prompt

5 Enable USB debugging on your phone, and enter the following command into the command prompt
    a. "Root.bat"
    (This is what the command prompt will display when finished:
    b0AGBSJ.png

6. The program should run, reboot your phone, and you have root! :eek:
    WF9IF1i.jpg

For the bounty id prefer if you just donate to elsa3id.3agwa@gmail.com PayPal

Makes more of a lasting impact then what i could do with any of it.

Again thank you to everyone who helped!

We made it fam!

If you are successful after rooting and can give better instructions please let me know!
    PSA: I've added stock Odin-flashable images to my root/unroot guide for the following carriers: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular (already had Verizon) for both the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. This covers models SM-G930A, SM-G935A, SM-G930P, SM-G935P, SM-G930T, SM-G935T, SM-G930R, SM-G935R, SM-G930V, and SM-G935V. These files are hosted on my unlimited-bandwidth GoDaddy dump server, so enjoy them ad-free.
    Yeah man, I got all the same problems as you bit on reboot on first boot I got.into a boot loop, second try after factory reset got me stuck in decrypting on boot up even though I didn't enable it.

I just went to the G935U firmware/custom ROM and I'm waiting for the new root method to come out without engboot in the next few days, you should wait too.

Just so everyone has realistic expectations, a root method without the engboot will likely not happen in the "next few days" or any time soon and here is why:

The leaked engineering boot image is a T-Mobile image for G935TUVE2APD7. TMO is known to impose the least amount of restrictions on their ROMs and that is probably why this kernel is working for all carriers (TMO is the hero of the day again!) The way the boot process in Marshmallow works is through a trust chain. What it means is that the bootloader checks the integrity of the boot image (aka kernel) to make sure it is unaltered and properly signed by Samsung. If that fails the phone does not boot and/or your knox flag is tripped. If that passes, the kernel is loaded and the kernel in turn checks the integrity of the system partitions (known as dm-verity). If that fails you get a bootloop.

With an engineering kernel this last step is disabled because engineers keep changing the system files as they develop a release. That is why this engineering boot image allows the injection of SuperSU, and that is why this root method can work. If you flash a user (non-engineering) image, such as the G935U boot image, it immediately detects the changes in the system and bootloops.

So you see, it is a fundamental protection that did not exist in previous Android versions and that is why it is unlikely that a root method on the non-engineering version is accomplished any time soon; you cannot touch the system because the kernel checks it and you cannot touch the kernel because the bootloader checks it. So the only possible options are as follows:

1- The bootloader is unlocked by the carriers so modified kernels can be loaded (not gonna happen). This is how nexus phones are rooted.

2- Another (engineering?) kernel without dm-verification (with better performance) is leaked/released that allows changes to the system, hence root. This is how the present root for S7 has been accomplished.

3- A vulnerability is found in Android system that allows a process to obtain root after the phone boots up. This is much more likely. In fact this is how Xpreia devices such as Z3/Z4/Z5 recently got root. This is also how towelroot worked in Kitkat which didn't have dm-verity activated. The problem in marshmallow is that this kind of root has to be temporary (should disappear after a reboot) and you will have to stay away from changing the /system otherwise the phone barfs upon the next reboot because of dm-verity.

4- A vulnerability is found in the kernel or bootloader code that is exploited to change /system. For that to happen someone has to sit down and dissect the kernel/bootloader code and read and analyze it line by line. I only remember a few times this ever happened during the exciting days of Android (when a Samsung phone didn't look and feel like an iphone). That is how Jellybean got rooted on early Note 3 devices. No one has the time or interest to do that anymore and people at that level of skills already have a very busy life. As valuable as their contribution is, the custodians of this current root method did not do it either. They used method 2 above.

So stay with the unlocked ROM and be happy for now. I posted a small analysis of the situation here: http://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s7/how-to/root-s7-att-g930a-g935a-t3410538/post67633470#post67633470 Reasons for rooting after flashing the unlocked ROM are few, if any.
    OR

I can do that.

Sent from my VK815 using XDA-Developers mobile app

OR, and bare with me here, you could just download this new root i made with the su binary from supersu2.76 and a working performance script. see attachments

literally extract anywhere and double click root.bat

but for anyone who wants to do it manually:
    script:
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh 
    echo 91 >/sys/module/msm_core/parameters/throttling_temp

echo 0 >/sys/module/msm_thermal/vdd_restriction/enabled

echo N >/sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled

echo interactive >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo 1593600 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/cpufreq_limit/little_max_freq 

echo 307200 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/cpufreq_limit/little_min_freq

echo 2150400 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/cpufreq_limit/big_max_freq

echo 307200 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/cpufreq_limit/big_min_freq

exit

and to get it to work, make a folder in /data
    put it in that folder /data/folderyoumade/<script>
    find init.sec.boot.sh in /system/etc
    add "/data/folderyoumade/script.sh" to the end of init.sec.boot.sh
    then run
    chmod 0755 /data/folderyoumade/script.sh
    chcon u:eek:bject_r:app_data_file:s0:c512,c768 /data/folderyoumade/script.sh

press that thanks button yo
    Root for ALL S7 QC models

I keep getting a notification saying unauthorized changes detected, reset to fix. I keep swiping it away. Any way to prevent this? Also, how do I get normal LTE icon back instead of the big round one?

Here's a complete package for ALL S7 QC models with clear instructions in the ReadMe file.
    Also, made a Root.BAT mod which should disable the "Security Notice" and FOTA (test and report back).

Big thanks to PrinceComsy, Br3w3r, and Chainfire for making it all happen.

G930x QC
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/user/?w=settings-dev-files&flid=159117
    G950x QC
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/user/?w=settings-dev-files&flid=181928

Enjoy!!
    BillA