[ROM][N 7.1.2] [ KatKiss - Nougatella #039 ]

Search This thread

megaequs

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
Workin' on it - thanks for the suggestion.

So what's about the build in Browser? Did you try it? I can only confirm what @woekje say. It is a real difference. Try uninstalling all other browsers, the google stuff (like the google app and chrome) and keep the system as clean as you can.

The build-in browser makes all other browsers unnecessary (for me). Thank you @timduru

Reactions: timduru

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4
So what's about the build in Browser? Did you try it? I can only confirm what @woekje say. It is a real difference. Try uninstalling all other browsers, the google stuff (like the google app and chrome) and keep the system as clean as you can.

The build-in browser makes all other browsers unnecessary (for me). Thank you @timduru

I also know that running a 'heavy' launcher is not helping either. As much as I love Nova Launcher, I switched back to the stock Tribuchet Launcher and saw a vast increase in performance....

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Try Tint Browser. Very Light and has a handy feature to 'recall last visited site' when you open it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tint&hl=en

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

I can't confirm this with Apex launcher (Pro). It's running great. Didn't notice any deterioration in performance.

My main problem was trying to launch a split screen using a webpage and a Word Document at the same time. I found by ditching Nova, it went much, much smoother. Perhaps the PRO version of Apex has something to do with it, or perhaps its just that Apex is better. Either way, I also decided that having 2 (or more) launchers loaded on the tablet was a bit of a waste. Sure it looked nice, but I decided to go for function over form.. :laugh::good:

Reactions: megaequs

RBraverman

Aug 16, 2011

I tried the built-in and didn't like it. I really need the browser I use to re-open the tabs I have open, if/when it crashes. And I need access - easily - to the history (I tend to bounce around a lot). Opera, not mini, so far has been stellar actually.

BUT ... I'm sure that will change. I've backed up and frozen (via Titanium Pro) all the browsers I've tried fand dismissed - this way before I try ANOTHER, I can see if I have already tried it.

I just don't understand this, I can watch HD videos 2gb in size effortlessly, transfer large files to and from the tab, but the bloody browser gives me problems. If I NEVER used the browser I'd never know there was any problem.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

I also know that running a 'heavy' launcher is not helping either. As much as I love Nova Launcher, I switched back to the stock Tribuchet Launcher and saw a vast increase in performance....

Ok, that was going to be my next "observation". I use an older version of GoLauncherPro (V4.x) and, as I was looking through all the stuff I have, that is one of about 4-5 apps that is on ALL my tabs, Total Commander (I've used this since Norton Commander Dos was abandoned) as I like the access to webdav folders and FTP/LAN Access built-in. I also use MultiWallpaper https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tamanegi.wallpaper.multipicture&hl=en

I don't see GoLauncher taking up much resources but I could be wrong, anyone have ideas about this?

Maybe we should have a list of apps that aren't the most friendly and the alternatives, wouldn't be a really terrible idea. Eh?

spondulicks

Dec 4, 2011
Thank you for this forum! I was able to flash nougatella for my TF700 the other day. All in all performance is great, just noticed the device getting too hot when using it for a bit. Coming from a complete wipe, the device gets hot faster than the MM build.. Anyways, Thanks and more power! :good:

megaequs

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
Thank you for this forum! I was able to flash nougatella for my TF700 the other day. All in all performance is great, just noticed the device getting too hot when using it for a bit. Coming from a complete wipe, the device gets hot faster than the MM build.. Anyways, Thanks and more power! :good:

You can try to set CPU governor to "Ondemand" under Settings->Performance->CPU Gov (don't forget to set it also at boot). but @timduru recomends to find out which app is causing this heat (mostly apps that have a constant i/o behavior like google app, google chrome and so on)

gti16vman

Jul 6, 2014
So I followed all of the steps and got it flashed, thanks! My problem is that now the only way the screen works is if it is plugged in and not into the dock, power cord straight in bottom of tablet. It works perfectly fine when plugged in, but as soon as the cable is removed, the screen turns off. I redid the whole process from scratch and still the same thing. I have searched and seen some people have had this issue without a ROM installed, but it seems odd that it just started (4-5yrs after owning it) when I was doing this. I have tried everything I can think of in display settings and developer options to no avail. Any ideas from anyone what might get the screen back to working when it is not plugged in?

megaequs

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
So I followed all of the steps and got it flashed, thanks! My problem is that now the only way the screen works is if it is plugged in and not into the dock, power cord straight in bottom of tablet. It works perfectly fine when plugged in, but as soon as the cable is removed, the screen turns off. I redid the whole process from scratch and still the same thing. I have searched and seen some people have had this issue without a ROM installed, but it seems odd that it just started (4-5yrs after owning it) when I was doing this. I have tried everything I can think of in display settings and developer options to no avail. Any ideas from anyone what might get the screen back to working when it is not plugged in?

Does the screen turns on in recovery without the charger? Do you try another rom? And do you mean only the screen turns off, or the whole tablet is turning off (so that you have to boot it again). Never heard about an odd issue like this.....

Skyjumper_GR

Aug 5, 2010
My bestbexpirience with this ROM:
Clean New installiert (ROM, Gapps, SuperSu)
CPU Min - 475
CPU Max - 1800
CPU governer - ondemand
I/O scheduler - deadline

Format MicroSD (class10) in a PC with two Partition.
1.Partition fat32
2.Partition swap (1000-2000MB)

Install an SwapApp like "Roehsoft Ram-expander.apk"
Use the Swap-Partition in MicroSD for swap.

The Tablet works smooth and without big lags.

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC

Just another thought...it might be that the battery needs replaced and this ROM just made it show up. I know that's not a happy thought but it could be the problem. Of course you would want to verify this somehow, maybe going back to stock ROM and see if it works properly.

Does it charge to 100%?

gti16vman

Jul 6, 2014
Does the screen turns on in recovery without the charger? Do you try another rom? And do you mean only the screen turns off, or the whole tablet is turning off (so that you have to boot it again). Never heard about an odd issue like this.....

Screen turns off, but I can plug back in a few minutes later and it is in the same place. Doesn't die like the battery is dead.

Just another thought...it might be that the battery needs replaced and this ROM just made it show up. I know that's not a happy thought but it could be the problem. Of course you would want to verify this somehow, maybe going back to stock ROM and see if it works properly.

Does it charge to 100%?

Yes, it charges to 100% and when it is plugged into a port on the laptop, it slowly drains. The strange thing is, without it plugged in, I know it is working fine, just no screen. I can power it up with no power cord in it and a minute later, plug in the cable and it is at the unlock screen. The vibration works when you turn it on. I have seen that others have had this same issue (most were a few years back), but never found anyone that had a solution outside sending it in to Asus under warranty.

Last edited:

megaequs

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
Screen turns off, but I can plug back in a few minutes later and it is in the same place. Doesn't die like the battery is dead.

Yes, it charges to 100% and when it is plugged into a port on the laptop, it slowly drains. The strange thing is, without it plugged in, I know it is working fine, just no screen. I can power it up with no power cord in it and a minute later, plug in the cable and it is at the unlock screen. The vibration works when you turn it on. I have seen that others have had this same issue (most were a few years back), but never found anyone that had a solution outside sending it in to Asus under warranty.

So if the screen problem also persist in recovery menu and on other roms, it seems to be a hardware problem...

Petfish

Dec 5, 2015
Tablet turns itself off?

I have installed this rom and it works fine other than something weird - the tablet turns itelf off after a few minutes of inactivity. I have searched xda everywhere for a solution, and looked at everything I can think of in the settings, and can't find why. Have I missed something stupid?

TIA

Keron23

May 8, 2012
Does the right mousepad dock button work in remote desktop app in windows? Or does it the same like the left button?

Gesendet von meinem TF300T mit Tapatalk

megaequs

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
I have installed this rom and it works fine other than something weird - the tablet turns itelf off after a few minutes of inactivity. I have searched xda everywhere for a solution, and looked at everything I can think of in the settings, and can't find why. Have I missed something stupid?

TIA

Noticed this, too.... Not always, but sometimes, after long standby time the tablet seems to be off. I can only get it to work by holding the power button, till it boots up again. But the battery is not empty. Maybe @timduru can fix it in a futur update.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

+1
And no solution untill now....:(

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Does the right mousepad dock button work in remote desktop app in windows? Or does it the same like the left button?

Gesendet von meinem TF300T mit Tapatalk

I think there is no right button (for windows to open context menus). But the right mouse click is emulated by long press on the dock mouse button.

Coaster750

Oct 21, 2007
I am a newby to this - almost. I flashed a new ROM on my Galaxy S2 a couple of years ago but that is about it. Then, I had a very detailed "idiots guide". Is there such a thing for this ROM please? I've looked at the install instructions at the top of this thread and it means pretty much zilch to me.
I've not read every post on these 63 pages but have not yet found what I am looking for.
I am keen to upgrade the ROM for several reasons including that I need to install an App that needs Android 4.4 or above. Also, the tablet is virtually unusable it is that slow.
If anyone knows of a link to how to do this, I am pretty sure I would be able to do this and would be eternally grateful.

Last edited:

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
I am a newby to this - almost. I flashed a new ROM on my Galaxy S2 a couple of years ago but that is about it. Then, I had a very detailed "idiots guide". Is there such a thing for this ROM please? I've looked at the install instructions at the top of this thread and it means pretty much zilch to me.
I've not read every post on these 63 pages but have not yet found what I am looking for.
I am keen to upgrade the ROM for several reasons including that I need to install an App that needs Android 4.4 or above. Also, the tablet is virtually unusable it is that slow.
If anyone knows of a link to how to do this, I am pretty sure I would be able to do this and would be eternally grateful.

This is an outline of what I did to flash mine, maybe it will help you. It is on a different forum though:

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...tkiss-marshmallow-6-0-1-rom-2.html#post355949

Read back a few posts when you get there. The thing to remember is to totally understand what you are going to do before you do it. So don't be worried about asking too many questions. The stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: megaequs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    KatKiss ROM
    attachment.php

Nougat 7.1 Release​
    Asus TF700T - TF201​

This rom is an aosp based rom with my own additions on top of it.

The main motto of the rom being Kiss. Even though the Meerkat could give you a kiss, it stands for Keeps it Sweet and Simple too
    Which means that the rom's main goal is efficiency, speed/responsiveness,
    while not adding bloated features that will slow things down :)

attachment.php

DOWNLOADS :

Install Instructions:

Install a F2FS compatible TWRP Recovery (KANG TWRP recommended)

• Backup everything !
    • Boot into the recovery

The first time or everytime you have an issue when dirty flashing (Especially when changing android versions):
      [*] do a full wipe , if you have issues make sure that you format /data (format is different than wipe)
      Warning: formatting will remove what is stored in your internal storage, so store the rom /gapps/supersu zips onto an external storage (microSD, SD card..) or make sure you know how to push them back through adb.
    • Change /data filesystem to f2fs

Then everytime (even when "dirty flashing") do the following steps:
    • Flash the rom
    • Flash the SuperSU zip
      [*]Flash gapps
    • Wipe cache/dalvik
    • Reboot

Note that current gapps setup wizard will crash as it is not fully compatible with android 7.1.2 (KatKiss >= 022)
    unless you turn on wifi manually after the language selection in the initial setup.
    (if you don't have a dock, use the extra wifi button in the navbar)

Rom Main Features:
    Native Nougat MultiWindow
    High speed and responsive oriented
    High performance and overclocked KatKernel included
    Built O3 & with High optimization flags
    Dock keyboard Support with full special/function keys support
    Global Keyboard Shortcuts / KeyOverride Macro association (See post #2 for more info)
    HDMI Support
    Battery Level Indicator & Dock Battery support + Mods (icon/Text/%)
    F2FS, CIFS, ext4, NTFS & Exfat support
    RRO Theme Engine - Themes & more info
    Native Android FSTRIM + Manual scripts for Database optimization and fstrim (see post #2)
    Media Scanner Filters
    System UI editor with Navbar tuner
    All Wifi channels support
    Integrated cpu & io performance settings panel
    Custom Navbars buttons long press actions
    User Immersive mode and actions with automode when docked setting
    Advanced per application permission management (AppOps)
    Ethernet-auto support
    Misc utils Busybox, rsync...

Included KatKernel Main Features:
    -- Based on latest Asus 10.6.1.27.5 version.
    -- CPU Overclockable up to 1700 (1500 default), GPU overclock (OC 520 by default) , uservoltage
    -- Built with UberTC GCC 5.4, -O3, graphite + Optimized flags
    -- F2FS support
    -- governors: interactive pegasusq conservative ondemand powersave performance
    -- iosched: BFQV7r5, Zen, ROW, SIO, deadline, NOOP, CFQ
    -- FS: ext3-4, VFAT, NTFS, F2FS, NFSV3+4, CIFS
    -- TCP Congestion: illinois cubic veno reno bic westwood highspeed htcp vegas scalable yeah
    -- Asynchronous Fsync
    -- USB NET drivers
    -- lowmemorykiller: misc optimisations & fixes
    -- backports from more recents kernels (3.4,& 3.9)
    -- SLUB
    -- exposed SOS/LNX
    -- Restrict slave mountspace so Dalvik apps can mount system-wide volumes
    -- Misc optimization & fixes: cpufreq, block, mmc, i2c, sched, rcu, arm specific routines, ...
    -- Misc security fixes, futex, tty ...

ChangeLog: http://public.timduru.org/Android/KatKiss/7.x/ChangeLog.html
    Rom Source: https://github.com/timduru (branch katkiss-7.1)
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/timduru/tf300t-katkernel
    Credits: Original banner concept by i9apps, Bootanimation by mgeniusm, original drawing by BBF, tetsuo for his contributions, Chainfire for SuperSU, Anthony Restaino for Lightning Browser

WebPage
    How to report
    What to include in the report

Disclaimer: The usual ;)
    Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
    In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

XDA:DevDB Information
    KatKiss-Nougatella, ROM for the Asus Transformer TF700

Contributors
    timduru
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Latest stock bootloader, KANG TWRP
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2016-09-08

Created 2016-09-08
    Last Updated 2019-09-28
    Tips

First Install
    Make sure you do a format /data the first time you install the rom
    (backup your internal storage first if you want to keep something)

Also keep in mind that after a fresh install, it might take a bit of time to get up to full speed as media scanner & google are checking/scanning and restoring stuff.

Bluetooth audio devices
    For bluetooth audio devices that have "phone audio" capability you need to uncheck the box in the device's bluetooth settings.

System UI Tuner
    A few things including the navbar buttons can be tweaked in Settings => System UI Tuner

Hardware keyboard layouts
    More languages have been added in the default asusec keyboard
    Set the keyboard layout through Settings => Language & Input => Physical Keyboard (asusdec)
    (to use multiple layouts , you first need to add another Language in Settings => Language & input)
    You can switch between layouts using the keyboard icon that appears in the navbar.

Global Key Override/Shorcut Mecanism
    Available in Settings => Dock => Add Key Override Actions

This will allow you not only to redefine function keys assignment, and other special keys actions,
    but you'll also be able to assign global macro actions / app launch to any key + Meta key combination (shift Left or Right , ctrl..)

You can also add multiple actions to one key combination, simply click again on the "+" button for the same key combination.
    For example if you want to assign to one key combination a list of action to run before going to bed for example, like: turn wifi off, Bluetooth off, mute sound, and turn screen off, you can do that :)
    Note that starting multiple applications with one key is kinda a miss and hit for the moment due to some mecanism in android that seems to prevent applications to start too close to each others.

Storage Encryption
    Encryption is not supported on our devices

Camera
    Video recording is limited to 720p max

Storage (fstrim) and Database optimization:
    Fstrim is native since 4.3 and will happen in the background if your tablet is idle / sleeping and that your battery is > 70%
    There is also a script to run it manually in the rom: /etc/kat/optimizestorage

To optimize the Database: /etc/kat/optimizedb

To run both, open a terminal and run:
    su
    /etc/kat/optimize
    New Version #025

attachment.php
    New rom version available:

TF700T : KatKiss-7.1_TF700T_025.zip
    TF201 : KatKiss-7.1_TF201_025.zip

Note that apps are going to get optimized in the background after the upgrade and first boot into android,
    so better wait and let the tablet settle down for a while.

Changelog:

- Update to August Nougat Release
    - TF701t: lockscreen: decrease swipe distance needed to unlock
    - Browser: add ctrl+F shortcut for find in page
    - Browser: add shift + click on link to open in new tab
    - Browser: add ctrl + click on link to open in new background tab
    New Version #026

attachment.php

TF700T : KatKiss-7.1_TF700T_026.zip
    TF201 : KatKiss-7.1_TF201_026.zip

Note that apps are going to get optimized in the background after the upgrade and first boot into android,
    so better wait and let the tablet settle down for a while.

Changelog:

- Port October 7.1.1 Nougat Security Fixes
    - Port September 7.1.1 Nougat Security Fixes
    - Port blueborne security fixes
    - wpa_supplicant: krack patches

TF300T/TF201/TF700T Katkernel 049:
    - Port blueborne security fix

TF701T Katkernel 008:
    - Port blueborne security fix
    New Version #010

attachment.php

TF700T : KatKiss-7.0_TF700T_010.zip
    TF201 : KatKiss-7.0_TF201_010.zip

Note that with supersu updating , you need to install the app back from the playstore even after flashing the supersu zip from recovery

Changelog:

- Update to Nougat MR0.5 release
    - fix widevine DRM (google play movies...)
    - Add per app signature faking permission support for MicroG
    - Global action: add relaunch top app in floating mode Action
    - Activate freeform windows by default
    - Statusbar drop down: allow to click on clock or date to go to alarms & calendar
    - Storage: fix "make writable to all apps" setting
    - av: add pre kitkat audio policy support
    - sqlite: update to 3.15.0
    - native: input: Adjust priority for hwc1 too
    - do not force sdcardfs flag
    - framework/base: misc fixes and enhancements
    - core: misc fixes

KatKernel TF300T 037 & TF700T-TF201 039:
    - Fix CVE-2016-5195