How To Unlock Bootloader & Root HTC U11
1. Charge your phone at least 50%
2. Go to developer settings and enable "OEM unlocking" & "USB debugging"
3. Install Java Development Console (JDK) for/on your system
4. Download and install Android SDK (Android Studio)
5. Create an own "ANDROID" folder directly under "C:"
6. Plug Phone on PC via USB
7. Let install drivers and packages, do updates if necessary
8. Perform "SDK – Manager.exe"
9. Navigate to platform tools in the SDK directory:
10. Here you find "adb.exe", "AdbWinApi.dll" and "fastboot.exe" (maybe in "tools" folder)
11. Copy them and paste it in your "ANDROID" folder
12. Plug off phone from PC
Under Windows 10 Creators Update you maybe have to deactivate the powershell command and restore it with standard command line.
Here is a german tutorial for CMD instead of Powershell:
Install this file: www.sempervideo.de/win10-cmd-hier.zip
13. Turn phone off and then long press "Power" & "Volume Down" at the same time
14. Navigate to "reboot to download mode", enter with "Power"
15. Plug phone with PC
a) Register and create an account on the htcdev.com site
b) Verify your email adress and login to the web tool
c) Go to unlock bootloader and get started
d) Select your device: chose "HTC U11" or "All Other Supported Models"
e) Follow the further instructions on the HTCdev site
1. Now go to your explorer:
Open the "ANDROID" folder and press shift & rightclick, start command prompt here:
This is shown: [ cd\Android: ]
Type in: [ fastboot oem get_identifier_token ]
Press enter when succeed a text block is shown
2. Rightclick on the text block and mark it, copy with right click / enter
(maybe you better copy and save textblock to an editor file in the meantime)
3. Go to HTC web tool and paste the text to: "My device identifier token", press submit
4. As soon as you get an email from htc, follow the instructions in it and download the attachment "Unlock_code.bin"
5. Save the file in your "ANDROID" folder under "C:"
6. Navigate to open console and type in: [ fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin ] press enter
7. When succeed your phone screen shows "Unlock Bootloader?"
8. Chose "Yes" with volume buttons and confirm with power button
9. Now your phone's bootloader is going to be unlocked and the phone will reboot, this might take a while because the system will be loaded clean.
If succeed you can now install TWRP.
Installing TWRP Recovery:
1. Download the newest "TWRP.img" file from https://twrp.me/
2. Copy it to your "ANDROID" folder
3. Boot phone into system:
4. Go to settings and unlock the developer tools (press 7 times on the build number)
5. Enable: "OEM unlocking" & "USB debugging"
6. Navigate to the "ANDROID" folder with the "TWRP.img" file
7. Open command prompt here
(If your phone isn't plugged to PC yet, do it now)
8. Getting to bootloader mode and type in: [ adb reboot bootloader ], press enter
(if phone wants permission for usb debugging, confirm)
9. Once you are in "bootloader mode", navigate to "reboot to download mode"
(this is your fastboot mode on the U11) with your phone
10. Then go back to CMD to flash TWRP and type in: [ fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" ], press enter
(edit the "TWRP.img" file name exactly as your file name in the Android folder)
11. Then reboot phone through typing: [ fastboot reboot ]
When you want to reboot in to the recovery mode now and type in: [ adb reboot recovery ] or manually: Power off the phone, then press "Power" & "Volume Down" together, navigate to "reboot to bootloader mode", confirm and chose "reboot to recovery" then.
1. Download properly "Magisk .zip" & "Magisk Manager .apk" file here:
2. Use a data explorer on the phone
3. Copy files on the internal storage of your HTC phone, into the TWRP folder
4. Reboot to recovery mode again
5. Now here's your TWRP
6. Navigate to install the "Magisk .zip" file and swipe to confirm
7. After flashing reboot to system again
8. Go to the folder where the "Magisk Manager .apk" is stored
9. Install the "Magisk Manager"
10. When open the Manager app you can check the root status.
THAT'S IT & GOOD LUCK
written by DownXiBalba
editing by 4ntagonist
last update July 2017
Tutorial as PDF file to download