Any reason not to unlock the bootloader?

Search This thread

techboy10

Jan 11, 2012
Just received my Solar Red U11. Is there any reason not to unlock the bootloader right away?

I'm not planing on rooting it or installing any custom ROMs anytime soon, but I'm also not 100% sure I'm gonna be keeping the phone (few things I need to see if I can get used to).

Should I just unlock it now so I don't have to (potentially) wipe my device at a later date?

Thanks!

Aldo101t

Mar 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
HTC U11
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just received my Solar Red U11. Is there any reason not to unlock the bootloader right away?

I'm not planing on rooting it or installing any custom ROMs anytime soon, but I'm also not 100% sure I'm gonna be keeping the phone (few things I need to see if I can get used to).

Should I just unlock it now so I don't have to (potentially) wipe my device at a later date?

Thanks!

if you decide to unlock at a later date you can back up your stuff to your computer unlock then put it back.all the other stuff is your choice, me, mine is unlocked out of the box.

it only wipes your internal, not the ext_sdcard

Last edited:

michaelbsheldon

Jan 12, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Google Pixel 6a
At some point, one of the future updates could prevent you from unlocking it. That would eliminate the
ability to modify your phone's software. If you'll never do that, probably doesn't matter if unlockable.
The only downside is the orange reminder splash screen that is displayed on boot-up.

oldwolf613

Jun 12, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
if you decide to unlock at a later date you can back up your stuff to your computer unlock then put it back.all the other stuff is your choice, me, mine is unlocked out of the box.

it only wipes your internal, not the ext_sdcard

Aldo, how do you back up data & /or app settings of 3d party apps fm a device w/locked Bootloader & no root?

Also, what & how much boot delay is there if you unlock bootloader - I saw someone post a pic that shows the screen in text mode & a warning abt startup not beginning for 5 seconds.

Also, please clarify, HTC gave warnings about losing the Fingerprint capability if you unlock the bootloader; I just want root,so I can run Titanium B/U & some root-needed apps- put really like the Fingerprint feature- was that an old warning? The posted HTC warning says you can'telock the bootloader- but I just saw someone talk abt re-locking their bootloader bc they want to sell the device as clean.

Any help much appreciated, TIA oldwolf

sudheersharma

Jan 5, 2016
Negative effects of unlocked bootloader

Has anybody found HTC U11 losing OEM applications, sound and camera quality or other pre installed applications after unlocking the bootloader? Also please tell me whether the unlocking procedure is same for Android oreo udate.

Thanks.

shivadow

Jan 26, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Unlocking the bootloader has no adverse effects. You can still update ota. If the bootloader is ever unlocked there is no reason to relock it unless you are returning the phone to the store.

Reactions: Mirdar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The warning about losing fingerprint scanner functionality on HTCDev refers to the One Max (2013), and only to that device AFAIK.
    Boot loader won't effect your fingerprint scanner....never heard of had that.
    Has anybody found HTC U11 losing OEM applications, sound and camera quality or other pre installed applications after unlocking the bootloader? Also please tell me whether the unlocking procedure is same for Android oreo udate.

Thanks.

Go to developer options ( on setting) and allow unlocked bootloader ,,,ok finish
    Unlocking the bootloader has no adverse effects. You can still update ota. If the bootloader is ever unlocked there is no reason to relock it unless you are returning the phone to the store.