Amazon ads removal - Moto G5

Search This thread

bob43211234

Jul 24, 2017
Hey, I just got my new Moto G 5 plus from Amazon, so it has all that bloatware and ads. I don't know what an ADB shell is, could you tell me how to get that or open it?

Thanks!

UltraMaks

Jul 15, 2011
Minsk
www.dinamo-minsk.org
I see that amazon has updated "Amazon Prime" at Google Play. I wonder if I update it with removed ads could it be that these ads come back again, or "pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix" removes it permanently?

krison01

May 5, 2016
Hey, I just got my new Moto G 5 plus from Amazon, so it has all that bloatware and ads. I don't know what an ADB shell is, could you tell me how to get that or open it?

Thanks!

step 1 download fastboot
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120698566
step 2 moto drivers
https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solution/MS88481
step 3 tap on build nember tell u see developer (settings/about phone)
step 4 enable usb debugging (settings/developer options)
step 5 extract n open cmd in fastboot dir (alt+d type "cmd")
step 6 in cmd type "adb shell"
step 7 type or c/p "pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix"
reboot phone
done
ads come back if factory reset or install back "amazon offers"

UltraMaks

Jul 15, 2011
Minsk
www.dinamo-minsk.org
In addition - there is some additional stuff that can be removed
1. Install USB drivers for your Motorola
2. Download and Install ADB tools
3. Unzip this file to a directory. (right click, extract all, select a directory).
4. Open a cmd prompt from this directory you just extracted to (ctrl+shft+right click, run command prompt here).
5. Enable Developer Options and USB Debugging
6. Find a good USB cable, plug it into your computer and then to your device. When the pop-up appears asking you to authorize the device, allow it.
7. Go Back to that cmd window you opened and type:
adb devices
8. This should return the ID of your device. If not, please go back and retrace your steps.
9. Next Type: adb shell
10. This should give you a new prompt, something to the effect of athene:/ - here type the following:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix
This should return 'Success' at which point Amazon Ads have been removed!

11. While You're at it, you might want uninstall a few more pieces of amazon software:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.widgets
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.clouddrive.photos
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.dee.app
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.drive
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.imdb.mobile
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.goodreads
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.audible.application

I wonder, what is this all about in #11?

Reactions: krison01

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
If anyone wants to confirm krison1's method or any other methods, I can update OP to make sure it's wasy to find for new comers. thanks :good:

UltraMaks

Jul 15, 2011
Minsk
www.dinamo-minsk.org
If anyone wants to confirm krison1's method or any other methods, I can update OP to make sure it's wasy to find for new comers. thanks :good:

I can confirm that krison1's method removes all amazon notifications. I also tried step 11 from my previous message (thinking that it would remove more amazon adware) but did not find any difference.

PS now I have only 3 Amazon software in Applications: Amazon. Amazon Music, Amazon Video, though there are more Amazon software in Google Play Store. So I think Step 11 also removes some Amazon software (at least from the list of installed software in the phone)

krison01

May 5, 2016
I can confirm that krison1's method removes all amazon notifications. I also tried step 11 from my previous message (thinking that it would remove more amazon adware) but did not find any difference.

PS now I have only 3 Amazon software in Applications: Amazon. Amazon Music, Amazon Video, though there are more Amazon software in Google Play Store. So I think Step 11 also removes some Amazon software (at least from the list of installed software in the phone)

Can use :adb shell cmd package list packages | grep 'amazon'
to find everything amazon. or just disable doesn't really save space or anything
not my method btw credit to dosangst
https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4/how-to/to-remove-amazon-ads-moto-g4-running-t3614090

Last edited:
Reactions: UltraMaks

UltraMaks

Jul 15, 2011
Minsk
www.dinamo-minsk.org
Can use :adb shell cmd package list packages | grep 'amazon'
to find everything amazon. or just disable doesn't really save space or anything
not my method btw credit to dosangst
https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4/how-to/to-remove-amazon-ads-moto-g4-running-t3614090

Great. Also removed com.amazon.mp3 and com.amazon.now
Now I have only

Code:
package:com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient
package:com.amazon.mShop.android
package:com.amazon.device.information.provider
package:com.amazon.alphafirstrun

I wonder can this be removed or not (what is the influence at the system etc)

Reactions: Adrieljimenez

krison01

May 5, 2016
Great. Also removed com.amazon.mp3 and com.amazon.now
Now I have only

Code:
package:com.amazon.avod.thirdpartyclient
package:com.amazon.mShop.android
package:com.amazon.device.information.provider
package:com.amazon.alphafirstrun

I wonder can this be removed or not (what is the influence at the system etc)

good question, could check and see if you want, but would have to factory reset if any probs

UltraMaks

Jul 15, 2011
Minsk
www.dinamo-minsk.org
good question, could check and see if you want, but would have to factory reset if any probs

No, I do not want it (at least now). I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was about

PS After I removed com.amazon.widgets i was not able to launch Widgets Icon at my homescreen. Also my standard widget "Time and Weather" disappeared from the screen. I rebooted my phone and all went fine. Thouhg I checked
Code:
cmd package list packages | grep 'amazon'
and this package has not returned, only 4 packages from previous message were shown

I wonder what it was all about and why did someone decided to remove only this?

HTML:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.widgets
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.clouddrive.photos
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.dee.app
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.drive
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.imdb.mobile
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.goodreads
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.audible.application

Adrieljimenez

May 25, 2015
Been having ads removed for weeks now no problem, except that the new os has arrived (7.1) and although I don't want to update it keeps showing up on the screen every few minutes.. it's very annoying. I have tried blocking the notification but still comes through. I'm sure the ads will come back if I update but my question is if I do update will I be able to use this same method again to remove the ads ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDA has announced amazon will be removing the ads on their phones via an app update and will also be bumping the price up 20$ for prime discounted phones... link below

Amazon ADS removal apk is now available, link is middle of the page, enjoy!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cu...TF8&nodeId=202040870&utm_content=buffer75d66/ Original post below from amazon as of 2/6/2018

4. Why am I still seeing lockscreen offers and ads on my Prime Exclusive Phone?

A February 2018 update to the Amazon Offers app disables lockscreen offers and ads on Prime Exclusive Phones. If you continue to see lockscreen offers and ads, please make sure you have connected your Prime Exclusive Phone to Wi-Fi and updated the Amazon Offers app. Learn more about updating your Prime Exclusive Phone. If you have completed these actions and continue to see lockscreen offers and ads after February 2018, please contact customer service for assistance.

OP Below

Thanks krison1 (links are embedded now) for the step by step guide to removing ads, confirmed by some users in this thread :good:

step 1 download fastboot
    step 2 moto drivers
    step 3 tap on build number tell u see developer (settings/about phone)
    reboot phone
    done
    Sooooo theres a permanent way to get rid of them and not have to use an app for it. I just found it on the Moto G subreddit.

I literally just did it. It DID get rid of all the amazon ads, which is less running in the background too!!
    I'm using the 64gb Moto G5 plus amazon variant. It also gets rid of the need for a second finger print for the lock screen. You don't need to do it twice to get to the home screen anymore, just once like a non ad version!!!!

It's the top post in the subreddit right now. I can't link it, some bot won't let me

EDIT: I will put the instructions

Moderator Edit:

The solution has already been covered here:

Edit2: the above is the one who found it but the one who posted it to the subreddit that this forum wouldn't let me link to are one in the same. I did mention the thread so sorry if anyone thinks I didn't give proper credit.
    Found a fix!

Okay, so what I did to fix it is the following...

1 Open up your fastboot (mine's called "cmd-here")
    2 type "cmd"
    3 type "adb shell"
    4 type "pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix"
    5 type "pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.widgets"
    6 type "pm enable --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix"
    7 type "pm enable --user 0 com.amazon.widgets"
    8 Listen to Pandora app on your phone (I assume other music apps that change your background work as well, but I didn't test them)
    9 type "pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix"
    10 type "pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.widgets"

Everything works beautifully for me unless I reboot my phone. I assume that updating and restoring to factory settings will cause ads to come back as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks!

step 1 download fastboot
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120698566
    step 2 moto drivers
    https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solution/MS88481
    step 3 tap on build nember tell u see developer (settings/about phone)
    reboot phone
    done
    Reddit user "jet4309" posted this solution:

"I found an almost fix for those of us sorry souls who UPDATED:
    within adb shell type: 'pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.phoenix' and 'pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.widgets'
    This removed the ads for me even after reboot, however you will still have the extra swipe to unlock the phone and your lockscreen background will change to a weird girl listening to headphones"

and this regarding temporarily getting rid of the weird girl background

"If u reenable the packages and do something to use the lockscreen background (like listen to music to display the album cover) then disable them again it will be gone until next reboot"