What audio DAC chip does the Note 8 use?

Search This thread

mikebz5

Aug 6, 2010
What audio dac chip does the Note 8 use? Former note 5 and 7 owner here. I love the dac on my LG v20(note 7 replacement)! Will I be disappointed when my note 8 arrives?

Reactions: jah

teegunn

Dec 14, 2010
The S8+ DAC is great. I am no audiophile, and can't compare to the V20, but it sounds great to me. And I believe the same DAC from the S8 is in the N8. I think there was another thread here that had that info earlier today or yesterday.

jah

The S8+ DAC is great. I am no audiophile, and can't compare to the V20, but it sounds great to me. And I believe the same DAC from the S8 is in the N8. I think there was another thread here that had that info earlier today or yesterday.
I have the LG V20 and the Note FE, the V20 is in a different league when compared to last year's Note.

teegunn

Dec 14, 2010
I have the LG V20 and the Note FE, the V20 is in a different league when compared to last year's Note.

Like I said I can't compare to the V20. The S8+ seems to have better sound than the Note 7, and I expect the Note 8 to also have better sound since the Note 8 is the same as the DAC on the S8+ (I believe). Whether it is on par with the V20 I can't say and from others have said here doubtful the Note 8 will be as good as the V20 in this area. But for me it is more than good enough if it's on par with the S8+.

EvoKnvl

Jan 24, 2011
I've had the Note 7, V20, and S8+. I can say that the N7 audio sucked. The V20 was amazing. The S8+ sounds just as good from what I can tell. When I got the N7, it was terrible. I was afraid that the S8+ would be equally bad, but it's not. It's a world of difference. I'm using Westone W4R between all 3 devices.

jah

I've had the Note 7, V20, and S8+. I can say that the N7 audio sucked. The V20 was amazing. The S8+ sounds just as good from what I can tell. When I got the N7, it was terrible. I was afraid that the S8+ would be equally bad, but it's not. It's a world of difference. I'm using Westone W4R between all 3 devices.
My wife has a Galaxy S8 and with high res music above CD quality the V20 is much better.

Reactions: RockStar2005

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
Hi, the V20 had quad ES92B ESS Sabre DAC's. In terms of technical sound reproduction the V20, on paper, is superior to the Cirrus logic (Formally known as Wolfson) DAC on the Exynos Note 8 however............. IN terms of sound reproduction there are numerous factors that affect the end result IE, what we hear.
The amplification process and, of course, the ear buds or head phones in terms of a mobile device. Not to mention the source material and the ambient we are trying to listen in.
In general the V20 should outshine the Note 8 IF all parameters are equal. In real life seldom are said parameters equal. To that end to truly hear the difference we would need to be in a studio with identical volume presets, head phones, high end source material and music genre.
For a mobile device that is not really meant to compete with dedicated Hi-res portable players costing hundreds of euros, I think most of us including the so called audiophiles like me will be happy taking into consideration we won't have to carry around a second device. I guess its the same with the cameraphiles who will be happy with taking less accurate pictures BUT not having the need to carry a dedicated canon DSLR?

Ryland

Pubbaa

Aug 23, 2011
Colombo
apologize for the following question-

how does note 8 stack up against htc10,...i know i know it's a silly question, yet curious, i haven't tried the v20 quad dac ... people highly praise it though

i'm just a simpleton ...i was earlier a edge plus user, had to switch because of samsung not giving memory slot.

music+camera are my main priorities , but miss the deep blacks of sAMOLED.

@home

Feb 16, 2009
What about bluetooth audio?

I use a Samsung bluetooth dongle with high quality earphones & the FE sounds fine. How about the V20 or Note 8?

allargon

Mar 10, 2011
Hi, the V20 had quad ES92B ESS Sabre DAC's. In terms of technical sound reproduction the V20, on paper, is superior to the Cirrus logic (Formally known as Wolfson) DAC on the Exynos Note 8 however............. IN terms of sound reproduction there are numerous factors that affect the end result IE, what we hear.
The amplification process and, of course, the ear buds or head phones in terms of a mobile device. Not to mention the source material and the ambient we are trying to listen in.
In general the V20 should outshine the Note 8 IF all parameters are equal. In real life seldom are said parameters equal. To that end to truly hear the difference we would need to be in a studio with identical volume presets, head phones, high end source material and music genre.
For a mobile device that is not really meant to compete with dedicated Hi-res portable players costing hundreds of euros, I think most of us including the so called audiophiles like me will be happy taking into consideration we won't have to carry around a second device. I guess its the same with the cameraphiles who will be happy with taking less accurate pictures BUT not having the need to carry a dedicated canon DSLR?

It will be a looooong time if ever before phones catch up to DSLR's. It will be a long time before phones catch up to dedicated audio players, because as you said they can't provide the necessary amplification (especially without significant distortion).

Back on topic, if the international Note 8's carry the Cirrus logic DAC's, what will the US (Qualcomm 835) Note 8's carry? What does the US S8/S8+ carry? I assume it will be the same. The V30 and it's quad DAC comes out soon, too. I don't think the Note 8 will match that one, either. However, I want my S-pen. So, I just want to be good. I don't expect V30 greatness.

Back off topic, a few people mentioned AptX in this thread. AptX makes Bluetooth audio less awful, but it's no replacement for a quality DAC and wired headphones. It shouldn't even be part of this discussion.

Reactions: RaymondPJR

Torquemada288

May 7, 2007
Adelaide
V20 has aptx HD which is amazing as long as you a headset that supports aptx HD. I don't believe the Note8 will have aptx HD as Samsung use their own UHQ codec.

The s8+ had Atpx, so the note 8 should have.

Aptx and AptxHD are two different things. As far as I'm aware, AptxHD is only available for Snapdragon SoCs, so the international Note 8s will almost certainly not have AptxHD.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

It will be a looooong time if ever before phones catch up to DSLR's. It will be a long time before phones catch up to dedicated audio players

Very true but that wasn't his point. The cameras and audio output for phones have advanced to the point where they're 85% as good as dedicated devices (DSLRs and audio players) and most people can't justify carrying another bulky, inconvenient device just to get that extra 15% performance gain. Maybe the Note 8 camera(s) can't match the latest DSLR cameras but it might be a match for a DSLR from 5 years ago, which is still pretty damn good and exceeds most people's needs.
I was tossing up between getting the Note 8 and the V30 because whilst I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, I do like my music to sound awesome. The Quad DAC was pretty tempting but none of the major carriers in Australia stock LG phones (except Telstra and **** that) so I would've had to buy it outright. There's also the matter of perspective. I'm coming from a Note 3, so while the DAC in the Note 8 will undoubtedly be inferior to the DAC in the V30, it will still be a huge step up from what I'm used to. If I want some extra oomph in my music, I'll use my Fiio Q1 (and Viper4Android).

jah

Aptx and AptxHD are two different things. As far as I'm aware, AptxHD is only available for Snapdragon SoCs, so the international Note 8s will almost certainly not have AptxHD.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Very true but that wasn't his point. The cameras and audio output for phones have advanced to the point where they're 85% as good as dedicated devices (DSLRs and audio players) and most people can't justify carrying another bulky, inconvenient device just to get that extra 15% performance gain. Maybe the Note 8 camera(s) can't match the latest DSLR cameras but it might be a match for a DSLR from 5 years ago, which is still pretty damn good and exceeds most people's needs.
I was tossing up between getting the Note 8 and the V30 because whilst I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, I do like my music to sound awesome. The Quad DAC was pretty tempting but none of the major carriers in Australia stock LG phones (except Telstra and **** that) so I would've had to buy it outright. There's also the matter of perspective. I'm coming from a Note 3, so while the DAC in the Note 8 will undoubtedly be inferior to the DAC in the V30, it will still be a huge step up from what I'm used to. If I want some extra oomph in my music, I'll use my Fiio Q1 (and Viper4Android).
I know that aptx and aptx HD are different! Aptx HD headphones are very rare. The aptx codec is not limited to certain SoC as the headphones i have are not SD!

See this about Android O and LDAC and aptx.HD

http://www.androidauthority.com/bluetooth-audio-android-o-758401/

Last edited:

Torquemada288

May 7, 2007
Adelaide
I know that aptx and aptx HD are different! Aptx HD headphones are very rare. The aptx codec is not limited to certain SoC as the headphones i have are not SD!

Sorry, you are correct. Aptx HD is a Qualcomm product and I naturally assumed that phones that don't use a Qualcomm SoC wouldn't have this ability. My bad.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country

how does note 8 stack up against htc10,...i know i know it's a silly question, yet curious, i haven't tried the v20 quad dac ... people highly praise it though

i'm just a simpleton ...i was earlier a edge plus user, had to switch because of samsung not giving memory slot.

Yes the HTC10 could drive headphones harder than ANY portable device on its own that I used and sounded pretty good at it too.
And the faded looking LCD is the reason why I punted it. Compared to my Note5 it made me sick.

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
It will be a looooong time if ever before phones catch up to DSLR's. It will be a long time before phones catch up to dedicated audio players, because as you said they can't provide the necessary amplification (especially without significant distortion).

Back on topic, if the international Note 8's carry the Cirrus logic DAC's, what will the US (Qualcomm 835) Note 8's carry? What does the US S8/S8+ carry? I assume it will be the same. The V30 and it's quad DAC comes out soon, too. I don't think the Note 8 will match that one, either. However, I want my S-pen. So, I just want to be good. I don't expect V30 greatness.

Back off topic, a few people mentioned AptX in this thread. AptX makes Bluetooth audio less awful, but it's no replacement for a quality DAC and wired headphones. It shouldn't even be part of this discussion.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I don't know for sure what the snap dragon use I understand they have their own system and the DAC is possibly part of the SD processor? This would need research and as I will be purchasing the International Xynos mobile I don't follow the SD programme. Sorry I cant be helpful on the SD mobiles.

Regards, Ryland.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tbh in my experience the s8 DAC gives a better sound than the LG v20. Both use 32bit but the v20 uses a more powerful amp so I can use high resistance headphones on it such as the sennheiser HD 600. The s8 amp can't power those but when using a low impedance headphone they sound better than the v20. High impedance headphones sound better on the v20.

Ryland

Yes the HTC10 could drive headphones harder than ANY portable device on its own that I used and sounded pretty good at it too.
    And the faded looking LCD is the reason why I punted it. Compared to my Note5 it made me sick.
    The V20 will sound better than the Note 8 ONLY if you can trip the quad HD which MOST headphones will NOT do. The older V10 you could force it to trip and yes, it sounded great. Can't do that with SW on the V20. So, if you have high impedance cans on the V20 and it activates the quad dac they will sound great. If the quad dac on the V20 only kicks into normal settings if will sound mediocre at best. In general, I find the Note 8 to be slightly better than the V20 with the many pairs of headphones I use in standard V20 quad dac mode. My higher impedance cans, IF they activate the quad dac on the V20 (50 50 shot) sound great and I generally will not have to use my external Fiio DAC. But, the Note 8 is an overall much beter device than my V20 so I will drawer the V20 (or sell it) and stay with the Note 8.