Build Quality Thread

Search This thread

slothdabski

Aug 3, 2015
Chicago
How does one do that.
I'm willing to unlock the bootloader for that.
Advanced) Via ADB (Only support v13.6+):

You don't need a custom recovery and no root is needed, but you will need a stock boot image backup/dump beforehand

Unzip your downloaded Magisk zip

Enter the folder you've just extracted (let's call it*zip folder), copy your stock boot image here and rename it to*boot.img

Rename the folder with the name of your device's CPU architecture to*magisk_inject.
If you don't know your device's architecture, try running*adb shell getprop ro.product.cpu.abi*to check it out

Double check if the*zip folder*contains the following files or folders:*META-INF, boot.img, common, magisk_inject

Open terminal, change the directory to the*zip folder, and run the following command one line by a time (you might want to copy them since they are pretty long)

Code:

adb shell "rm -rf /data/local/tmp/*" adb push META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary common magisk_inject boot.img /data/local/tmp adb shell "cd /data/local/tmp/magisk_inject; mv ../common/* .; chmod 755 *; sh ../update-binary indep boot_patch.sh ../boot.img; mv ../bin/busybox busybox" adb pull /data/local/tmp/magisk_inject/new-boot.img adb shell "cd /data/local/tmp; rm -rf *.img magisk_inject/*.img update-binary bin common"

You shall now see a file*new-boot.img*in the*zip folder. This is the magisk-patched boot image. You can now flash the image via fastboot.

Reboot and check whether Magisk Manager is installed and the version matches the latest one in the OP
If for some reason Magisk Manager isn't installed/upgraded automatically, please install it manually

https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlatan01

synplex

May 29, 2008
Miami
www.MTFX.tv
I'm actually surprised how easily the Ceramic back gets scratch. I already have dozens of tiny scratch all along the back and I'm not wearing a diamond rings or anything really abrasive. My ceramic watch band holds up a whole lot better :(

crossen0

Jan 15, 2011
Kansas City
I'm actually surprised how easily the Ceramic back gets scratch. I already have dozens of tiny scratch all along the back and I'm not wearing a diamond rings or anything really abrasive. My ceramic watch band holds up a whole lot better :(

I just noticed this as well. I've had this phone a little over 24 hours and it's ridiculous how scuffed the back is already. My phone earpiece is also garbage in my device, call quality terrible next to my Pixel. I think I may be sending this back and I'm sad because I wanted to like this phone so much. I wanted to give it a chance.

faded03cobra

Mar 23, 2012
I just noticed this as well. I've had this phone a little over 24 hours and it's ridiculous how scuffed the back is already. My phone earpiece is also garbage in my device, call quality terrible next to my Pixel. I think I may be sending this back and I'm sad because I wanted to like this phone so much. I wanted to give it a chance.

It seems they have some serious QC issues. My phone has been great in every aspect. Doesn't surprise me about the scuffs on the back though. I had some extra clear 3M that I cut to fit the back of the phone till my dbrand arrives.

crossen0

Jan 15, 2011
Kansas City
It seems they have some serious QC issues. My phone has been great in every aspect. Doesn't surprise me about the scuffs on the back though. I had some extra clear 3M that I cut to fit the back of the phone till my dbrand arrives.

I may submit a ticket for replacement Tuesday and then order a Dbrand skin simultaneously and try again.

-Michael_

Dec 27, 2009
Arizona
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Sooooooooo.

Went to a local farm today, a "sweet corn harvest festival". A lot of fun for the 4 year old. Anyways to the point... We are on a hay ride, literally just a 20ft wood deck trailer with hay bails lining the edges for seating, being pulled by a tractor. I feel something next to my leg, only to realize it my essential, Yep slipped out of my pocket. In the process of trying grab it I somehow propel It off the hay bail, and down and across the wood deck... My f'n heart skipped a beat.

The dude at the end of the trailer scooped it up and held it until I could get there, as we're still moving! Long story short, I cannot find a scratch on it. I'm impressed. Flung 2ft of a hay bail, 3ft down onto an old, warped wood trailer deck, and probably 10ft across it.. It's uhhh, TOUGH.

*+#&@#& brand new, 2 day old phone! Haha

P.S. - I don't even have a screen protector it yet! (in the mail)

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs

Reactions: M@XLOL

z28tovette

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego,Ca
Sooooooooo.

Went to a local farm today, a "sweet corn harvest festival". A lot of fun for the 4 year old. Anyways to the point... We are on a hay ride, literally just a 20ft wood deck trailer with hay bails lining the edges for seating, being pulled by a tractor. I feel something next to my leg, only to realize it my essential, Yep slipped out of my pocket. In the process of trying grab it I somehow propel It off the hay bail, and down and across the wood deck... My f'n heart skipped a beat.

The dude at the end of the trailer scooped it up and held it until I could get there, as we're still moving! Long story short, I cannot find a scratch on it. I'm impressed. Flung 2ft of a hay bail, 3ft down onto an old, warped wood trailer deck, and probably 10ft across it.. It's uhhh, TOUGH.

It's good to hear something positive.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

crossen0

Jan 15, 2011
Kansas City
Wouldn't hurt. My experience with this phone has been great, CS and shipping now that's another story.

I just sent them an email about initiating a return. I don't think I want to keep the phone after all. I've had the phone just a little over 24 hours and it mostly lived in my pocket. I noticed some lights scuffing on the bottom rear panel and there are some other quirks with my particular unit that I'm not fond of. My 360 camera is on its way from China however I will just have them Return to Sender.

Large Hadron

Aug 14, 2010
What is going on here shouldn't OLED be pick black on a black screen since no pixels should be lit...
Those phones aren't off, they are displaying a uniform grey background at low brightness in a dark room. What it is showing is that the LG screen is not uniform at low brightness (which I'd read in another preview).

(I found the source: it's an ars technica article).

kmoney059

Aug 22, 2017
Those phones aren't off, they are displaying a uniform grey background at low brightness in a dark room. What it is showing is that the LG screen is not uniform at low brightness (which I'd read in another preview).

(I found the source: it's an ars technica article).
Ahh I thought it was trying to show a black screen not gray...

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
Placed phone, face up, on a one foot stack of books I was moving off a four foot high shelf, in room with wood floor. After lifting, and turning while stepping from bookshelf, phone slid off books like it was on ice. It flew off the trailing edge of the stack at five feet in the air, the phone bounced off the edge of one of lower stainless steel shelves, then crashed on floor screen side down. Since these "oh s#*+" moments happen in slow motion, I saw the titanium side, without the buttons, hit the shelf edge square on, then hitting wood floor on a corner off display at probably a 45 degree angle as it dropped hard on glass, face down. No dents, no scratches, no cracks, no damage. Whew!

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I really hate to say it, but I think I'm returning the device. I really want to love it but given my backlight bleeding, sharp corner, touch sensitivity (having to tap things twice sometimes) and a horrendous cell signal on top of that, I can't justify keeping a device strictly on it being gorgeous.. So I was talking to them about getting a replacement, but then I don't want to be outside of my return period and be stuck.. So.. If they extend my return period so that I can test out the replacement, then I'll give a replacement a chance. If they don't extend the return period then it's being returned straight away.. It sucks because I really want to love this device and was so excited about it for months.. But honestly, I don't have much faith that a replacement will be much better.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 808phoneaddict

crossen0

Jan 15, 2011
Kansas City
I really hate to say it, but I think I'm returning the device. I really want to love it but given my backlight bleeding, sharp corner, touch sensitivity (having to tap things twice sometimes) and a horrendous cell signal on top of that, I can't justify keeping a device strictly on it being gorgeous.. So I was talking to them about getting a replacement, but then I don't want to be outside of my return period and be stuck.. So.. If they extend my return period so that I can test out the replacement, then I'll give a replacement a chance. If they don't extend the return period then it's being returned straight away.. It sucks because I really want to love this device and was so excited about it for months.. But honestly, I don't have much faith that a replacement will be much better.

How did you contact them? I emailed them not 15 minutes after originally opening my device this past Friday, about 11am Pacific time and got no response. I too am trying to return my device based on similar experiences.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    anybody else feel some roughness between screen and the body? Mine has visible space, almost as if the screen wasn't glued on well enough

Mine is super tight, no gaps or rough edges at all. Best built phone I've ever had.
    Placed phone, face up, on a one foot stack of books I was moving off a four foot high shelf, in room with wood floor. After lifting, and turning while stepping from bookshelf, phone slid off books like it was on ice. It flew off the trailing edge of the stack at five feet in the air, the phone bounced off the edge of one of lower stainless steel shelves, then crashed on floor screen side down. Since these "oh s#*+" moments happen in slow motion, I saw the titanium side, without the buttons, hit the shelf edge square on, then hitting wood floor on a corner off display at probably a 45 degree angle as it dropped hard on glass, face down. No dents, no scratches, no cracks, no damage. Whew!
    I sold my 6P. :(
    On the upside I sold it with Nexus Protect so I got a premium for it.
    I got enough money to buy a new LG G6 which has a form factor similar to the Essential.
    The PH-1 and camera go back as soon at the boxes arrive.

Dude, we know, you're returning it.
    Sooooooooo.

It's good to hear something positive.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
    It seems the durability built into the Essential device via it's titanium frame and ceramic composite comes at a price. I'm certain using these materials are much more labor intensive than build processes for a typical device with glass and aluminum housing. Consequently it will have more build quality defects per 1000 phones than the major players. Using exotic materials in a product doesn't guarantee overall quality. I think a reasonable person would expect a glitch or flaw when acquiring any type of product from a new company's first offering. If your phone is flawless and you love the functionality, good for you! At a $700.00 price point, you should expect and receive an awesome device. What we've read to date from a number of members reflects more concerns than any purchaser of a top drawer device should endure. Mesh covering the holes coming off, visible space between screen and frame, screen wasn't glued on well enough, wiped the screen off with a microfiber towel and half the ear piece came out with it, backlight bleeding, dead pixels, scuffing problems, poor call quality, weak signal issues, software lagging. All of this coming in the wake of distribution deficiencies, customer data being compromised and seemingly non-existent customer service. The reviews for Essential have been for the most part underwhelming and iFixit just gave PH-1 it's lowest rating at 1 out of 10, unless there's a 0 in their rating structure. When iPhone X debuts within the next week or so the PH-1 will surly suffer as it will no longer be the newest kid on the block. This doesn't bode well Essential. With that being shared no matter how much I may have been disappointed in the device I wouldn't send it back or sell. As a collector of various rare items I'm confident the first run of the Essential PH-1 (Rookie Card) could easily be worth much than it sells for now in a span of 10 or 15 years, especially if the brand collapses.