The battery life on this phone is PHENOMENAL!

Search This thread

zee24

Aug 27, 2013
Calgary
Guys I just got this phone through the Nexus 6p RMA I got a pixel xl 32gb and I just wanted to share something positive. Today using the phone for the first full day I got 7 hours of screen on time with 7 percent battery remaining. I'm shocked I've never seen better battery life or even close from any other phone. Nexus 6p in the beginning managed 5 hours sot sometimes but it degraded fast and pretty much got 4 or less for my 2 years with it so 7 hours is such a blessing. I love this phone.

I'll attach some pics I took before but didn't end up taking a picture at 7% but you can extrapolate from the photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170920-192422.png
    Screenshot_20170920-192422.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,725
  • Screenshot_20170920-160158.png
    Screenshot_20170920-160158.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,717

hokiealumnus

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 5, 2012
www.overclockers.com
Yes, but remember as a general rule it's a lot better when on wifi. It isn't as good on cellular only. Just a fact of life. I can get six+ hours SOT on wifi but only about five off it.

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
Good to hear...I did the same RMA.

Loving this phone. I can't believe it went under the radar.

I was using an iPhone 7 Plus...but can't see myself going back...that one might be for sale soon lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Born<ICs

Oct 29, 2012
GMT -5
My 6P was so awful on battery I had chargers everywhere plus carried a big portable power pack.
With my new XL I have to remember Not to plug it in. Night/Day.

succumbtothegreater

Jun 15, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I am also a newer adapter of this phone and I've had it about 2 weeks. This is my battery life from 2 days ago with heavy YouTube usage. Rooted Oreo, no custom kernel, just greenify on a few apps. So much better than my Note 5, which topped out at 2hrs 50 minutes. Not to mention, this phone is way smoother and flies in terms of apps opening, really impressed with this phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170922-221128.png
    Screenshot_20170922-221128.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 777

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
Yes. The Pixel XL is by far the best battery life phone I have had in a long time (the previous champ was my the Samsung Fascinate 3G from years ago.)

On 7.1.2...freaking amazing battery life. Then I got the 8.0 update and that had lower battery life. Less screen on time. Many users reported this. Buddy of mine also had noticed the same thing.

The Sept 8.0 update then came out and now its back to the awesome battery life it had before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170926-030958.jpg
    Screenshot_20170926-030958.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 649

Zwitterion

Dec 15, 2009
As an aside. Where can I get a good tutorial on how to set up Greenify's treatment of the various apps on my phone? By itself, it's not immediately obvious what I should be doing to the various apps.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
As an aside. Where can I get a good tutorial on how to set up Greenify's treatment of the various apps on my phone? By itself, it's not immediately obvious what I should be doing to the various apps.

Why would u even want to use Greenify and such apps now?...O is far superior to previous versions with its Doze mode and app suspend processes..

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
I didn't realize Oreo is so superior. In fact, I get worse battery life than I did on Nougat.

It was worse ...the first 8.0 update. The latest updates fixed that for me and buddy of mine. I read there was an issue with Google play services app older version eating battery. that updated with the last ota and its been great. I have very few apps on my phone though. i do know that FB and especially FB messenger...and probably many other apps are not quite optimized for Oreo yet and will eat battery in the background and its not shown in the battery stats. U can go into the system app settings now and disable certain apps to run in the background like FB. u wont get notifications for that app but i don't care, i manually check those apps fine.

Born<ICs

Oct 29, 2012
GMT -5
Battery pretty good. Several times I tried going 24hrs starting at 100%. Essentially get 10hrs screen time over 24hrs with 10% to 15% remaining.

zee24

Aug 27, 2013
Calgary
Battery life is average at best, Still to beat my Nexus 6 or S7 Edge on MM here im getting a day or less standby with a meh 5hr sot

You're doing something wrong then my guy. I'm here consistently getting 6 to 6.5hrs sot WhatsApp 3 Gmail accounts lots of YouTube and Reddit And other browsing the web

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170930-024149.png
    Screenshot_20170930-024149.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 344

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Forget the 6p. We had amazing battery life before this update. Then sot dropped like a rock. Screen off.. amazing. After O screen on time was half. Literally half. Same synching, same everything. Half sot! How else can I say it?
SOT sucks. I have it back up to 6.25 hours, but it's still not up to Nougat standards. It's either the increased performance sucking CPU or the screen itself is using more. I don't buy the updated apps for Oreo theory.

Reactions: bobby janow

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
SOT sucks. I have it back up to 6.25 hours, but it's still not up to Nougat standards. It's either the increased performance sucking CPU or the screen itself is using more. I don't buy the updated apps for Oreo theory.

I also agree Oreo has horrible battery life not close no nougat. I have tried every kernel i could get my hands on.

I wonder if they did this crap on purpose so people would buy the pixel 2

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I also agree Oreo has horrible battery life not close no nougat. I have tried every kernel i could get my hands on.

Some have said it was Play services but others say no. Some have said it's the display driver on O. Either way I hope they come out with a fix if this is not some dastardly scheme. Very disappointing. I never had to charge my phone during the day and now I do. I was going to buy a 2 but now I'm on hold with that until this is fixed.

Reactions: mac796

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys I just got this phone through the Nexus 6p RMA I got a pixel xl 32gb and I just wanted to share something positive. Today using the phone for the first full day I got 7 hours of screen on time with 7 percent battery remaining. I'm shocked I've never seen better battery life or even close from any other phone. Nexus 6p in the beginning managed 5 hours sot sometimes but it degraded fast and pretty much got 4 or less for my 2 years with it so 7 hours is such a blessing. I love this phone.

I'll attach some pics I took before but didn't end up taking a picture at 7% but you can extrapolate from the photos.

Why would u even want to use Greenify and such apps now?...O is far superior to previous versions with its Doze mode and app suspend processes..

I didn't realize Oreo is so superior. In fact, I get worse battery life than I did on Nougat.
    Lol anything beats my Nexus 6p with a 2.5 hour sot if I was lucky!
    Forget the 6p. We had amazing battery life before this update. Then sot dropped like a rock. Screen off.. amazing. After O screen on time was half. Literally half. Same synching, same everything. Half sot! How else can I say it?

Sent from my Pixel using XDA-Developers Legacy app