If I Flash the Unlocked Firmware on my Carrier Branded Note 8 Will it Trip Knox?

Search This thread

datder

Sep 2, 2016
I saw the unlocked firmware floating around the forums that require Odin to flash. I currently have Verizon and was wondering if flashing the firmware would trip knox and remove features such as Samsung Pay and Secure folder.

RHUDEBWOI

Jul 29, 2015
I saw the unlocked firmware floating around the forums that require Odin to flash. I currently have Verizon and was wondering if flashing the firmware would trip knox and remove features such as Samsung Pay and Secure folder.

This is a fair question and I'm inclined to say yes. I will tyr thim myself to find out as I picked up my Locked Note 8 today and in the same postion as you.

Oat23

Mar 27, 2011
no it will not. confirmed working on the unlocked firmware and tmob firmware

Yup, I flashed it and it did not trip Knox. Was on Stock AT&T then went to Unlocked firmware.

That is awesome to know we have the option. And I assume if you ever go back to flashing the carrier firmware it also wouldn't trip Knox?

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

What are the benefits of having the unlocked firmware?

I think the benefit would be if the carrier doesn't release timely updated but Samsung releases it for the unlocked device. Or to get rid of bloatware preinstalled by carriers.

Reactions: jellybear456

guaneet

May 16, 2013
Morgan Hill, CA
That is awesome to know we have the option. And I assume if you ever go back to flashing the carrier firmware it also wouldn't trip Knox?
Correct. You must use a custom odin version to flash the unlocked version and the regular/latest odin to flash the carrier version.
And no it will not trip knox period.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

A bloatfree stock Samsung rom. So no tmob/att/Verizon apps, unlimited hotspot, a few other things too but depending on the carrier you might not have voLTE , Wi-Fi calling, RCS, 4x4 mini, 256qam.
I stuck with the stock carrier rom because everything just works.
Updates are usually quicker with a carrier rom, but lately Samsung is releasing unlocked updates within a week after carrier

Reactions: jellybear456

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
If you flash xfinity to unlocked, do you get all bands working for carriers like tmobile?

thanks.

G

GuestK00136

Hello,

I have flashed unlocked firmware to network unlocked T-Mobile Note 8s without tripping Knox yet.

I have also flashed specific CSCs to T-Mobile Note 8s without issue.

In each instance I used the Prince Comsy version of Odin.

Adiwilko76

Jun 16, 2017
As long as your phone is unlocked meaning it takes any sim card then flashing say BTU firmware which is Samsung own international unlocked version then it will be fine and Knox will not be triggered as it's stock firmware. But big thing make sure your phone is unlocked and not carrier branded locked to a specific network because I understand it will brick your device. Always allow oem unlocking in developer options.

Spacechemistry

Dec 2, 2019
Where can I find Factory Unlocked Firmware for S10? I want my Sprint S10 to Work just like a factory unlocked S10 that comes if you buy from Samsung.com? Please help.

BluePhnx

Oct 12, 2014
Where can I find Factory Unlocked Firmware for S10? I want my Sprint S10 to Work just like a factory unlocked S10 that comes if you buy from Samsung.com? Please help.

www.sammobile.com goto firmware section and look for your model (eg. SM-G97*U1).

www.updato.com search for your model.

Download samfirm.exe or the Frija app and odin and use either samfirm.exe or frija to download your firmware. Then use odin to install firmware.

This is a Note 8 forum so look at the s10 forum for a guide to go from SM-G97*U to SM-G97*U1 .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been using the unlocked firmware for a few days and it's been great. The bloatware took up at least a few gigs of space and I got those back with the unlocked. I also feel my battery life is better but could just be a placebo effect. Regardless I'm glad I did it.

Yup, I flashed it and it did not trip Knox. Was on Stock AT&T then went to Unlocked firmware.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I think the benefit would be if the carrier doesn't release timely updated but Samsung releases it for the unlocked device. Or to get rid of bloatware preinstalled by carriers.
    Correct. You must use a custom odin version to flash the unlocked version and the regular/latest odin to flash the carrier version.
    And no it will not trip knox period.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

A bloatfree stock Samsung rom. So no tmob/att/Verizon apps, unlimited hotspot, a few other things too but depending on the carrier you might not have voLTE , Wi-Fi calling, RCS, 4x4 mini, 256qam.
    I stuck with the stock carrier rom because everything just works.
    Updates are usually quicker with a carrier rom, but lately Samsung is releasing unlocked updates within a week after carrier