[ROOT] [Andromeda] Initialize Andromeda directly from your phone

Search This thread

GabMus

Aug 8, 2012
What is Andromeda?

Andromeda is an app that enables you to use the Substratum theme engine on Android 8 Oreo without root.

What does this script do?

Andromeda requires the user to run a shell/adb script with the phone connected to the PC to enable its functionality. This isn't very convenient, expecially when you don't have your computer with you.

If you have root access you can run this shell script directly from your phone to enable Andromeda functionality.

How to

Important: you NEED root access. If you don't, I suggest to install Magisk

• Download andromeda_local.sh from the GitHub repository and put it on your phone in an easy to reach location. Some good locations could be /sdcard/ or /sdcard/Documents.
  • Install Terminal Emuator for Android either from the Play Store or from FDroid
  • Run Terminal Emulator and run su. A pop-up will come up asking you to grant root permissions. Grant them.
  • Run sh followed by the full path the andromeda_local.sh script. Example: if I have it in /sdcard/Documents/ I will write sh /sdcard/Documents/andromeda_local.sh.
  • (Optional) You may want to close the android terminal using the "X" icon on the top right section of the Toolbar.
  • Done, happy theming!

blaaaazedup

Mar 6, 2016
So I HAVE root access but when I open substratum it says I need Andromeda. Downloaded and installed it and now substratum freezes when building layers. Any suggestions? Particularly, what do I need to do to have substratum work WITHOUT Andromeda. Once again, I AM rooted....

Reactions: joonas72
G

GuestD2493

If you have root access you don't need Andromeda.

If you're on an Oreo ROM without the Substratum OMS commits Andromeda works faster than just Substratum and root. As I understand it this is because Andromeda can offload some of the theming process to the system. You don't *need* Andromeda if you're rooted, but there is a potential advantage to it.

nomipakistanli

Oct 2, 2014
İt says permission Denied. What cud be reason. The root is allowed

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

İt says permission Denied despite i allowed root access

If you're on an Oreo ROM without the Substratum OMS commits Andromeda works faster than just Substratum and root. As I understand it this is because Andromeda can offload some of the theming process to the system. You don't *need* Andromeda if you're rooted, but there is a potential advantage to it.
Is there potential advantage for stock magisk rooted Pixel 2?

Last edited:

PokemonTotalWar

Jan 29, 2014
OnePlus 5
Nintendo Switch
Is it possible to do this while on TWRP, so that after doing it there, the command will execute on boot?

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Or maybe how do I make this to a boot script?

I cannot seem to find a way to make it run on boot, but, inspired by this script, and seeing how it seems to be abandoned, I DID take a look at the Linux Andromeda start script, and I tweaked it into a much more reliable script, as well as made a Magisk Module, so you don't have to locate the script when you want to run it, simply type a command. Keep an eye out. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm looking into making my own in a few

ayaj007

Sep 18, 2014
Persmission denied

What is Andromeda?

Andromeda is an app that enables you to use the Substratum theme engine on Android 8 Oreo without root.

Andromeda requires the user to run a shell/adb script with the phone connected to the PC to enable its functionality. This isn't very convenient, expecially when you don't have your computer with you.

If you have root access you can run this shell script directly from your phone to enable Andromeda functionality.

How to

• Download andromeda_local.sh from the GitHub repository and put it on your phone in an easy to reach location. Some good locations could be /sdcard/ or /sdcard/Documents.
  • Install Terminal Emuator for Android either from the Play Store or from FDroid
  • Run Terminal Emulator and run su. A pop-up will come up asking you to grant root permissions. Grant them.
  • Run sh followed by the full path the andromeda_local.sh script. Example: if I have it in /sdcard/Documents/ I will write sh /sdcard/Documents/andromeda_local.sh.
  • (Optional) You may want to close the android terminal using the "X" icon on the top right section of the Toolbar.
  • Done, happy theming!
its showing permission denied after running the script though i am rooted with majisk

Last edited:

shadowikr

Jul 28, 2015
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Halp

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180302-125644.png
    Screenshot_20180302-125644.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 629

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is Andromeda?

How to

• Done, happy theming!
    If you have root access you don't need Andromeda.
    Is it possible to do this while on TWRP, so that after doing it there, the command will execute on boot?

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Or maybe how do I make this to a boot script?

I cannot seem to find a way to make it run on boot, but, inspired by this script, and seeing how it seems to be abandoned, I DID take a look at the Linux Andromeda start script, and I tweaked it into a much more reliable script, as well as made a Magisk Module, so you don't have to locate the script when you want to run it, simply type a command. Keep an eye out. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm looking into making my own in a few
    is there an app that does this? are you planning to turn your script into an app? (would you mind if i made one, giving you credit, of course.)
    #EDIT: There is an app! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubundas.andromedalocalclient
    its showing permission denied after running the script though i am rooted with majisk
    Screenshot the commands you ran.