Elephone S8 [2K 6" screen Budget Phone] Review, Benchmarks & Development Information

Search This thread

skeleton1911

May 4, 2012
münster
Hey!
I just discovered a secret chinese menu. I don't have any idea what it means and I'm too afraid to try out. :confused: It appears when you hold vol up + vol down + power button during startup. The cursor line can be moved down by pressing vol down like in the recovery.
This is the test mode. It comes when you hold vol- and power

Gesendet von meinem S8 mit Tapatalk

anox

Feb 18, 2006
Few problems ive experienced with my s8
1. Gps looses fix several times, gets annoying because my map app always recalculates route.
2. Some downloaded videos sound robotic, some work fine
3. Camera still slow to focus, even with the recent update

Anyone experiencing the same?

1) GPS works fine here. I tested 15 min navigation without any issue.
2) I don't have this issue. Maybe, you can share the link to some robotic-sound videos.
3) To me, the update improves the camera focus speed a little bit. :) You may also try out some other camera apps too.

Hey!
I just discovered a secret chinese menu. I don't have any idea what it means and I'm too afraid to try out. :confused: It appears when you hold vol up + vol down + power button during startup. The cursor line can be moved down by pressing vol down like in the recovery.

I got into that testing menu too, when trying desperately to access the bootloader :)
Here's the translation from Google:

Factory pattern
- Automatic Test
- Manual Test
- Single Test
- Testing report
- Debug test items
- Clear eMMC
- Version Information
- Restart

Reactions: uppon2

Pseud O'Nym

Nov 2, 2014
Reading
I have no problems choosing a wallpaper for my lockscreen. In the menu Display>Wallpaper I can select a picture from my gallery and choose if I want to set it for home screen or lock screen or both.

My post was actually wrong, what I should have written was I can no longer set a Live Wallpaper to the lockscreen. Although the 3D Earth & Moon I already had set is still there and working.

I seem to be showing big improvements in everything battery related with this build and, as this happened at the same time as a new firmware on my Amazfit Pace has improved battery life on that, I'm a happy bunny anyways.

anox

Feb 18, 2006
My post was actually wrong, what I should have written was I can no longer set a Live Wallpaper to the lockscreen. Although the 3D Earth & Moon I already had set is still there and working.

I seem to be showing big improvements in everything battery related with this build and, as this happened at the same time as a new firmware on my Amazfit Pace has improved battery life on that, I'm a happy bunny anyways.

I'm currently on the latest (20171018) stock rom (rooted), and a Live wallparer can still be set to the lockscreen. BTW, Google Pixel 2 live wallpapers look really cool on Elephone s8 screen :)

repocr4

Oct 31, 2017
My S8 arrived today. One thing I cant figure out though. I want to set a new home page in the browser. How the hell do I do that with no menu button? I have tried everything. There is no three dots icon or anything like that. No menu button on the virtual keyboard either.

anox

Feb 18, 2006
OP, I am concerned about a detail in one of the screenshots you have attached. Why does the app say "5.25 inches" screen size?

I think that kind of apps cannot really measure the physical screen size. They only calculate the screen size using the screen resolution/density data. Sometimes, they get it right, sometimes wrong. In this case, it is wrong.

I actually measure it using a physical ruler :) and it is about 6".

My S8 arrived today. One thing I cant figure out though. I want to set a new home page in the browser. How the hell do I do that with no menu button? I have tried everything. There is no three dots icon or anything like that. No menu button on the virtual keyboard either.

I guess you mean the browser that comes with the stock rom. Well, I don't use it, so don't know. It was actually removed and replaced by Chrome. :)

If you really need a Menu button, there are a few apps on Playstrore that might help. Just search for "menu button". If rooted, can you even have the menu button on the virtual navigation bar.

skeleton1911

May 4, 2012
münster
Settings/navigation bar/ on

Keyboard (long press on the smilie icon when the keyboard is open)

fparri

Hi guys, a friend says he has a problem playing videos on his Elephone S8. Both his own videos and ones found on the net are very jerky. He says he can't watch videos using the Facebook app, for instance, since they are too choppy. Any one else has the same problems?

ikkydiphoenix

Jan 4, 2013
Hi, my fingerprint sensor never recognize my fingers correctly while its charging battery. As soon as i remove the charging plug then it starts again to recognize my finger correctly.
Anybody else has this problem? I'm updated with the last patch released.

Any news about how improve the video quality in facebook? Looks really horrible compared to what i see on computer or youtube app.

Thanks.

Rambros87

Jul 3, 2009
MC
www.carlogasparrini.it
Hi guys, a friend says he has a problem playing videos on his Elephone S8. Both his own videos and ones found on the net are very jerky. He says he can't watch videos using the Facebook app, for instance, since they are too choppy. Any one else has the same problems?
Yes i have same problems on Facebook and Instagram i view video only in low quality 180p and riproduce those video with lags and problems with syncro audio/video.
Same problem with recorded video (video reproduced on pc are ok)

anox

Feb 18, 2006
Hi, my fingerprint sensor never recognize my fingers correctly while its charging battery. As soon as i remove the charging plug then it starts again to recognize my finger correctly.
Anybody else has this problem? I'm updated with the last patch released.

Any news about how improve the video quality in facebook? Looks really horrible compared to what i see on computer or youtube app.

Thanks.

Yes, I have the fingerprint scanner issue while charging too. Sometimes, it works. Other times, it doesn't.

Yes i have same problems on Facebook and Instagram i view video only in low quality 180p and riproduce those video with lags and problems with syncro audio/video.
Same problem with recorded video (video reproduced on pc are ok)

I don't use facebook/instagram (weird guy huh;)), so cannot comment on that.

But here is something I find out: playing videos depends on the decoder used in the video player.
I tested both recorded by the device and downloaded videos, it seems SW and HW+ decoders work fine. HW decoder doesn't work well for recorded videos, giving choppy & out of sync issues.

Try VLC, it works well for all kinds of videos I tested. :)

Last edited:

Rambros87

Jul 3, 2009
MC
www.carlogasparrini.it
Yes, I have the fingerprint scanner issue while charging too. Sometimes, it works. Other times, it doesn't.

I don't use facebook/instagram (weird guy huh;)), so cannot comment on that.

But here is something I find out: playing videos depends on the decoder used in the video player.
I tested both recorded by the device and downloaded videos, it seems SW and HW+ decoders work fine. HW decoder doesn't work well for recorded videos, giving choppy & out of sync issues.

Try VLC, it works well for all kinds of videos I tested. :)

Yess! For Recorded video VLC works fine! Now i have no sync issues in recorded video :good:
Now i've to resolve the other problem with facebook / insta streaming video.:(

Reactions: anox

SmithElephone

Oct 23, 2017
Hi, does anyone knows what SAR this phone has...?

Hi! Maybe?
0Op7Yo9.png

Reactions: anox

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Elephone S8 [2K 6" screen Budget Phone] Review, Benchmarks & Development Information

I was hoping to find Elephone S8 forum or some threads on this site, but apparently, there is none yet. So, I will give a mini-review from my few days of usage to perhaps start some development discussion on the site. Oh and, I'm not with Elephone or any other marketing firm. :)

First of all, why I bought it.
    2017 is full of big screen and bezel-less smartphones, most of which have a fingerprint scanner on the back. I don't really like the design of this year smartphones, not even Samsung Note 8 or iPhone X, not to mention their steep prices. :) Looking for my Oneplus 1 replacement, I wanted a mid-range phone with a big rectangular screen, with no notch or curved sides, and a fingerprint scanner on the front. Elephone S8 seems to have decent specs and budget-friendly. To me, it is not a clone of Samsung Galaxy S8 at all.

Official specs -> https://www.elephone.hk/elephone-s8#/parameters

What is included in the box
    Packaging.jpg

It looks quite good.
    TheBack.jpg

It comes with Noagat 7.1.1 out of the box.
    Phone_Status-0.jpg

After I turned it on, there was already a firmware update.
    Firmware_Update.jpg

After updating, the latest ROM build number is Elephone_S8_20170927.
    Phone_Status-1.jpg

The ROM is almost AOSP, with additional settings and apps. Here are interesting settings.
    Auto_Turn_On_Off.jpg

Setting-NavigationBar.jpg

Setting-Gestures.jpg

Setting-Sound.jpg

A few extra apps come pre-installed. To my surprise, Elephone S8 has an FM radio receiver which is not even listed on their official specs page.
    App1.jpg

App2.jpg

Malware-Bytes Anti-Malware 3.0.0.26 doesn't find any malware.
    Virus_Scan.jpg

Here are hardware details from CPU-Z 1.23.
    CPUz1.jpg

CPUz2.jpg

CPUz3.jpg

GPS is quite OK, testing outside on a cloudy day.
    GPS1.jpg

GPS2.jpg

Benchmarks are good for a mid-range phone.
    Antutu 6.3.5
    Antutu.jpg

Geekbench 4.1.3
    Geekbench.jpg

PCMark 2.0.3716
    PCMark.jpg

The fingerprint scanner is quite accurate and fast enough for me. As I miss my Oneplus' Double Tap to Wake function, I use the fingerprints scan just to wake up the phone. :)

On camera, I'm not really into mobile photography. I took a few photos. They look OK, but the focusing is slow. I may upload a few photo samples later.

Battery life is so-so for me. I have around 14 hours with 4 hours of screen-on time per charge, but that is my usage.

Some development stuff in Post#2
    hi,. thanks for the thread. I have mine since 3 days and its great.
    I am building my eragon rom for it very soon. atm I have made a tuto for root

if you want full root. check my german guide for it.. I patched the boot.img etc..
    (if I find time tomorrow I will made a guide also here)

https://www.android-hilfe.de/forum/...8-root-r-w-magisk-systemless-root.850405.html
    I just noticed the Eragon thread is closed. That came unexpected.
    @skeleton1911: I hope you will be alright. Thank you for the great work and support and all your free time you spent helping us out without any compensation!
    Have a merry christmas and a happy new year!

P.S: Hope to see you again at least when Android 8 comes out, or we will all have to get back to stock :fingers-crossed:
    Great ! Damn, now I wish I had used DHL rather than trying to save a few dollars brokerage and tax with Post NL !:crying:

i used DHL and only 2 days to arrive here in Italy ;)
    Flash boot IMG via flashtools.
    Reboot. Then Google and go to apkmirror or magisk XDA side and search for magisk manager. Install the APK . Done.

So all you need to do is flash my boot.img and download and install magisk manager APK.

. The build number don't change. This is only for root..
    Wow, that was quick.

And it works perfectly.
    Thank you so much. You just saved my life.

Almost 2am here. Good night:)

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk