not able to boot into bootloader/recovery/fastboot

Search This thread

Rendini

May 1, 2017
Earth
So I looked around here and on the interwebz to find an answer to my question before I decided to state my question to you.

I just acquired the Sony Xperia X Compact (F5321; Android 7.1.1).

In order to get TWRP on it, I consulted a lot of online guides including those described here. Of which I thought this would be the most suitable:
https://xdaforums.com/x-compact/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-1-xperia-x-compact-t3640914

So after:
  • having adb tools and fastboot incl. drivers (also tried the minimal)
  • developer options -- oem unlocking -- bootloader allowed to be unlocked; and developer options -- USB debugging -- debug mode when USB is connected
  • checking the service *#*#7378423#*#* , which shows "bootloader unlock allow : YES"
  • phone connected to PC

I encounter the following problem.
While the sony stock rom it comes with is running,
via adb I am able to feed the phone the following command with the respective outcome:
  • adb reboot fastboot (reboots into Android, with the LED lighting briefly up in red)
  • adb reboot recovery (reboots into Android, with the LED lighting briefly up in red)
  • adb reboot bootloader (boots down, but does not boot into Android; there is only a black screen and the LED is on and stays blue)
in any of those states, if I enter an adb command there is always this output as if the phone wasn't connected or recognized or off:
error: device '(null)' not found

So I am able to communicate commands to the phone when it is running. I assume this means my drivers are all in order, right?

Also. While it is off and disconnected from the PC.
  • I keep the power button and the volume down button pressed, the Sony Logo comes up and after that it takes turns with a black screen as long as I keep pressed.
  • I keep the power button and the volume up button pressed. It is followed by one short vibration, another short one, and the three in a row. And then no further reaction.

I feel pretty dumb, can anyone help me with how to enter any of the alternative boot options? Thanks in advance!
I just don't know if there is something I am not seeing or if there is plainly something wrong with the phone. Not knowing this for sure is driving me crazy. Hopefully this is something others might learn from, as well.

Last edited:

ypnos42

Nov 29, 2012
From your description, it seems like TWRP was not installed correctly. But don't worry, on this phone you do not have to install the recovery to use it. You can boot straight into recovery from your PC while the phone is in 'fastboot' mode. The 'fastboot' mode is what you get when you do 'adb reboot bootloader'. The screen off, blue LED is signalling that the phone is ready for fastboot commands. You can then run:
Code:
fastboot boot <recovery image file>
The phone should load and run the recovery.

Please note that adb will not see your device while it is in fastboot mode. Likewise, fastboot does not work while the phone is accessible through adb. adb support comes from the ROM, but TWRP also supports adb, so you can also use adb while in TWRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rendini and 9h0s7

ondrejvaroscak

Jan 21, 2015
Aachen
So I looked around here and on the interwebz to find an answer to my question before I decided to state my question to you.

In order to get TWRP on it, I consulted a lot of online guides including those described here. Of which I thought this would be the most suitable:
https://xdaforums.com/x-compact/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-1-xperia-x-compact-t3640914

So after:
  • developer options -- oem unlocking -- bootloader allowed to be unlocked; and developer options -- USB debugging -- debug mode when USB is connected
  • checking the service *#*#7378423#*#* , which shows "bootloader unlock allow : YES"
  • phone connected to PC

via adb I am able to feed the phone the following command with the respective outcome:
  • adb reboot fastboot (reboots into Android, with the LED lighting briefly up in red)
  • adb reboot recovery (reboots into Android, with the LED lighting briefly up in red)
  • adb reboot bootloader (boots down, but does not boot into Android; there is only a black screen and the LED is on and stays blue)
in any of those states, if I enter an adb command there is always this output as if the phone wasn't connected or recognized or off:

So I am able to communicate commands to the phone when it is running. I assume this means my drivers are all in order, right?

• I keep the power button and the volume down button pressed, the Sony Logo comes up and after that it takes turns with a black screen as long as I keep pressed.
  • I keep the power button and the volume up button pressed. It is followed by one short vibration, another short one, and the three in a row. And then no further reaction.

I feel pretty dumb, can anyone help me with how to enter any of the alternative boot options? Thanks in advance!
I just don't know if there is something I am not seeing or if there is plainly something wrong with the phone. Not knowing this for sure is driving me crazy. Hopefully this is something others might learn from, as well.

Switch the phone off.

To enter fastboot mode: Hold the Volume UP and connect your phone to the USB port of your PC. The blue LED should come on and provided you have correctly installed drivers, you will be able to use fastboot commands.

To enter bootloader/flashmode: Hold Volume DOWN button and plug USB cable to your PC. Green LED should lit up and provided you have correctly installed the drivers, you will be able to use Flashtool, Emma or other software to flash firmware files.

Reactions: Rendini

Rendini

May 1, 2017
Earth
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for taking the time!

So, confirming how to enter bootloader/flashmode is much appreciated, since I was very much in doubt about the fact that the screen stayed off. On other devices I always had something on the screen in recovery mode and the like.

Now I know it was problem with the drivers indeed. Also appreciated, the hint that adb and fastboot work separately. While the device was recognized by adb when it was turned on, it was not in fastboot mode because of missing drivers. Finally it is being recognized and I can address the device via fastboot command.

And yet, I have the next brick wall. Any command I send via fastboot is answered by this output:
Code:

up to this point, I have not found one command that is being acknowledged and triggers another output, so I think it is a general problem. Maybe still with the drivers. Any hints would be celebrated. Anyways, in the meantime I will keep on trying until I succeed or until I get too frustrated and send it back and never try Sony devices again ;)
not kidding XD

Last edited:

ondrejvaroscak

Jan 21, 2015
Aachen
Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for taking the time!

So, confirming how to enter bootloader/flashmode is much appreciated, since I was very much in doubt about the fact that the screen stayed off. On other devices I always had something on the screen in recovery mode and the like.

Now I know it was problem with the drivers indeed. Also appreciated, the hint that adb and fastboot work separately. While the device was recognized by adb when it was turned on, it was not in fastboot mode because of missing drivers. Finally it is being recognized and I can address the device via fastboot command.

And yet, I have the next brick wall. Any command I send via fastboot is answered by this output:
Code:

up to this point, I have not found one command that is being acknowledged and triggers another output, so I think it is a general problem. Maybe still with the drivers. Any hints would be celebrated. Anyways, in the meantime I will keep on trying until I succeed or until I get too frustrated and send it back and never try Sony devices again ;)
not kidding XD

because your bootloader is not unlocked. you have set your bootloader to allow unlocking in developers options, but you need to do the actual unlock using "fastboot unlock" command. you need a unique unlock code from Sony Developers portal and keep in mind that unlocking your device irrevocably deletes DRM keys. it is advisable that you backup your DRM keys before unlocking your device.

the problem is not Sony device, but your unability to read and follow guides and get yourself informed and educated before you dive into trial and error, finaly blaming manufacturer for your own faults...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From your description, it seems like TWRP was not installed correctly. But don't worry, on this phone you do not have to install the recovery to use it. You can boot straight into recovery from your PC while the phone is in 'fastboot' mode. The 'fastboot' mode is what you get when you do 'adb reboot bootloader'. The screen off, blue LED is signalling that the phone is ready for fastboot commands. You can then run:
    Code:
    fastboot boot <recovery image file>
    The phone should load and run the recovery.

Please note that adb will not see your device while it is in fastboot mode. Likewise, fastboot does not work while the phone is accessible through adb. adb support comes from the ROM, but TWRP also supports adb, so you can also use adb while in TWRP.

So after:
    • phone connected to PC

Switch the phone off.

To enter fastboot mode: Hold the Volume UP and connect your phone to the USB port of your PC. The blue LED should come on and provided you have correctly installed drivers, you will be able to use fastboot commands.

To enter bootloader/flashmode: Hold Volume DOWN button and plug USB cable to your PC. Green LED should lit up and provided you have correctly installed the drivers, you will be able to use Flashtool, Emma or other software to flash firmware files.