[GUIDE][ROOT][RECOVERY][4.4.2] Lenovo A3500-H

Search This thread

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Hi Sam,

thanks for all the info and links. I 've a few questions. I have my A3500-H running 4.4.2. It is rooted and has the (touch) TWRP recovery 2.8.0.0.

After reading your posts I decided to go for lineageOS 13 (downloaded from the link you provided above). Got gapps ready too.

1) can I use TWRP 2.8.0.0 to flash it ?
2) in case the answer to 1 is no, what do I do to install TWRP 3.0.2 ? Install and use the official TWRP app?
3) I suppose I don't need any of the fixes (audio, GPS, Bluetooth) you are mentioning above because they were for cm13, right?

Thanks for everything
First of all do backup your current setup with the TWRP already installed, of course you can try it with the older version of TWRP but TWRP 3.0.2 is recommended and works absolutely flawlessly, in case you want to upgrade your recovery, download TWRP 3.0.2 image and boot up TWRP again, now click install, then press the button "install image" and choose the TWRP 3.0.2 image, swipe to flash, choose recovery partition, swipe again and go to TWRP's reboot option, reboot recovery...
Now you should have TWRP 3.0.2 installed...
(in case you already backed up your current working setup) you can go to TWRP advanced wipe and tick all boxes exept "internal storage", wipe it...
Flash ROM and suitable GApps (I use opengapps.org, arm, android 6, pico), if you have Sound issues you can simply flash the fix at any later time but if I remember correctly it's only for cm13, lineageOS should be fine though...
I already wrote a instruction on how to flash SuperSU, there's a need to adjust the installation of the superSU zip to force a non-systemlessly installation as it will bootloop otherwise, I link it to there...

https://xdaforums.com/android/development/guide-lenovo-a3500-h-t2879208/post74004759

Sent from my OnePlus3T using XDA Labs

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
Installed TWRP 3.0.2 (image provided in the above posts) using the official app.

Rebooted. Got into recovery. Started the process. Used the standard "factory reset" from menu "wipe". Said something about not finding /cache and stuck.

Shutdown and reboot to recovery. Try to flash lineageOS, says it can't mount /system (!).

Trying repair file system, reports size of /system is 0 (!) and repair fails.

Then I choose to change it, select ext4 (which already was), it formats it, succeeds and updates partition details.

Then try repair, it succeeds.

Then go on to flash lineageOS and it is stuck at the beginning just after the message
"detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcblk0p5" for at least 10 minutes..

..just now it repeated the same message..
It is not frozen or hung, the progress bar flashes from left to right but doesn't fill up or anything.
As I am writing this, it finished!

Nevertheless, I will still post this, so that others can be warned that,

*** that f*cker progress bar doesn't fill up or give any sign of progress ***

so be patient!

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Sam thanks for your answer, I just saw this now, after my previous message. I am now booted to lineageOS, setting things up.

Thanks again

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Installed TWRP 3.0.2 (image provided in the above posts) using the official app.

Rebooted. Got into recovery. Started the process. Used the standard "factory reset" from menu "wipe". Said something about not finding /cache and stuck.

Shutdown and reboot to recovery. Try to flash lineageOS, says it can't mount /system (!).

Trying repair file system, reports size of /system is 0 (!) and repair fails.

Then I choose to change it, select ext4 (which already was), it formats it, succeeds and updates partition details.

Then try repair, it succeeds.

Then go on to flash lineageOS and it is stuck at the beginning just after the message
"detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcblk0p5" for at least 10 minutes..

..just now it repeated the same message..
It is not frozen or hung, the progress bar flashes from left to right but doesn't fill up or anything.
As I am writing this, it finished!

Nevertheless, I will still post this, so that others can be warned that,

*** that f*cker progress bar doesn't fill up or give any sign of progress ***

so be patient!
lol :laugh: yeah, that's right, the progress bar sucks and let's you think it's stuck... But it will succeed in the end
-----------
By the way, I never use factory reset when changing ROMs, safest way is definitely to use TWRP's advanced wipe option to wipe all but internal storage..

Reactions: EPa

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
Trying to use Magisk 14.0 for rooting (TWRP 3.0.2, LineageOS 13). Anyone done it?

In my case flashing it fails with

"! Unable to detect boot image"

Any clues?

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Trying to use Magisk 14.0 for rooting (TWRP 3.0.2, LineageOS 13). Anyone done it?

In my case flashing it fails with

"! Unable to detect boot image"

Any clues?
Copy the boot.img from the rom zip folder, install latest magisk manager apk and open it, hit install, choose "patch boot image", point it to the location where boot.img was saved before, let magisk manager patch the boot image "externally", (maybe needs 2 or 3 attempts before successful) it will store the new patched boot in /MagiskManager, go to TWRP and flash the patched boot image from there by using "install image" (boot partition)...
It's working great except Titanium Backup won't recognize "root" and therefore will be not usable, as I depend on it to function I choose SuperSU...

-> use stable Magisk 14.0 to avoid issues, Magisk beta did not work well for me at least...

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm happy to help but all of your questions could have been solved by using search and reading, I already explained (almost) everything detailed...

Last edited:
Reactions: EPa

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
I seem to have a problem with GPS not fixing a single satellite.

Reading above it seems the problems and the posted fix concern nougat..

Sam, can you confirm you have no problems with GPS on your out of the box LineageOS 13? Or have you done something about it (I read the whole thread, hope I didn't miss it) ?

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
I seem to have a problem with GPS not fixing a single satellite.

Reading above it seems the problems and the posted fix concern nougat..

Sam, can you confirm you have no problems with GPS on your out of the box LineageOS 13? Or have you done something about it (I read the whole thread, hope I didn't miss it) ?
Sorry, I don't use GPS at all but I can check later when being home again...

Edit: @EPa you can still backup and check if the GPS fix does work for lineageOS 13, in case of issues restore the backup...
In case it works please report it

Last edited:

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
Tried flashing the fixes.

Both fixes (post #46 and #111, the second one needing some work to turn into a flashable zip) don't work on LineageOS 13.

They actually make matters worse since with them flashed, my (offline) navigation program reports that gps is disconnected, while before it just searched on and on..

Tested also with Google maps and the LineageOS included YGPS app, left the device under clear sky for at least 15 minutes, nothing.
@Sam Nakamura I'd appreciate it if you could test and report, and even more if you could look for a fix..

Otherwise I can see myself trying the nougat roms since I need GPS more than Bluetooth functionality.

In any case thanks.

Last edited:

jimmy19742

Sep 11, 2017
Hi Sam,

thanks for all the info and links. I 've a few questions. I have my A3500-H running 4.4.2. It is rooted and has the (touch) TWRP recovery 2.8.0.0.

After reading your posts I decided to go for lineageOS 13 (downloaded from the link you provided above). Got gapps ready too.

1) can I use TWRP 2.8.0.0 to flash it ?
2) in case the answer to 1 is no, what do I do to install TWRP 3.0.2 ? Install and use the official TWRP app?
3) I suppose I don't need any of the fixes (audio, GPS, Bluetooth) you are mentioning above because they were for cm13, right?

Thanks for everything

It's not Sam but me Jimmy

My Lenovo is A 3500-H

You can install Lineage OS with your current recovery.IThe ROM works smoothly but I recommend you Resurrection Remix 5.8.4 which is based on Android 7.1.2..It also works great.Known issue-Bluetooth doesn't work and that's all.

You can update your TWRP at any time following these steps ( Hat off to Sam)

1)BOOT IN RECOVERY
2)SELECT "INSTALL"
3THEN SELECT"IMAGE"
4)Navigate to destination folder of TWRP3.0.2.img
5)THEN SELECT THE PARTITION "RECOVERY"
6)SWIPE RIGHT
7VOILA-YOU ARE DONE

I'll post some screenshots from my Lenovo A 3500H in a while

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

I didn't see that Sam had answered !
Sorry!

Reactions: Sam Nakamura

jimmy19742

Sep 11, 2017
That RR 5.8.4

Attachments

• 2017_11_04_21.38.14.jpg
    2017_11_04_21.38.14.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 171

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
It's not Sam but me Jimmy

My Lenovo is A 3500-H

You can install Lineage OS with your current recovery.IThe ROM works smoothly but I recommend you Resurrection Remix 5.8.4 which is based on Android 7.1.2..It also works great.Known issue-Bluetooth doesn't work and that's all.

You can update your TWRP at any time following these steps ( Hat off to Sam)

1)BOOT IN RECOVERY
2)SELECT "INSTALL"
3THEN SELECT"IMAGE"
4)Navigate to destination folder of TWRP3.0.2.img
5)THEN SELECT THE PARTITION "RECOVERY"
6)SWIPE RIGHT
7VOILA-YOU ARE DONE

I'll post some screenshots from my Lenovo A 3500H in a while

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

I didn't see that Sam had answered !
Sorry!
Jimmy thanks for the input.

I have already installed TWRP 3.0.2 and if this GPS problem can't be fixed in LineageOS 13 I think I'll go with your suggestion.

Thanks.

Reactions: jimmy19742

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Tried flashing the fixes.

Both fixes (post #46 and #111, the second one needing some work to turn into a flashable zip) don't work on LineageOS 13.

They actually make matters worse since with them flashed, my (offline) navigation program reports that gps is disconnected, while before it just searched on and on..

Tested also with Google maps and the LineageOS included YGPS app, left the device under clear sky for at least 15 minutes, nothing.
@Sam Nakamura I'd appreciate it if you could test and report, and even more if you could look for a fix..

Otherwise I can see myself trying the nougat roms since I need GPS more than Bluetooth functionality.

In any case thanks.
In case I stumble across any fix regarding this issue I'll report it to here but as I never use GPS on this device I won't invest too much time...
Switching to RR 5.8.4 for GPS seems to be a good idea

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
In case I stumble across any fix regarding this issue I'll report it to here but as I never use GPS on this device I won't invest too much time...
Switching to RR 5.8.4 for GPS seems to be a good idea

Yes thank you.

And could you please run a quick test and report if you also have an issue with GPS on LineageOS 13?

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator

wujekbrezniew

Sep 24, 2017
Funny part.
Works with Kiano Elegance 8 (of course with full functionality of CWM recovery), the other mt6582 device, but with some graphical bugs (something like crt signal problems).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Nakamura

jimmy19742

Sep 11, 2017
To Sam's Nakamura.
Hi Sam! I lost root privilege awhile ago so I installed Magisk manager but it didn't work till I converted to SYSTEMLESS .Then I got the boot image patched , flashed it but when I tried to flash Magisk 14.0 ,got the message'BOOT IMAGE NOT FOUND",
Got the same message when flashing SuperSU.
Where might the problem be?
Thank You in Advance!
Also I'm constantly out of space though I have a few applications installed and my emmc is 16GB.Applyinga screenshot.

Edit:Look how much space the system files occupy (impossible) and how much the applications.
Maybe I should flash the original image back to fix the space issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171128-132315.png
    Screenshot_20171128-132315.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices!

Hi!
    I found working method for root Lenovo A3500-H!
    I don't know how it's with A3500-HV!
    I spent a lot of time for searching informations how to root this device and i have found it!
    Original topic: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=590712
    But I translated it to english :)
    So, let's go :)

1. INSTALLING RECOVERY
    1. Download attachment.
    2. Turn off your device.
    3. Unpack Recovery.zip
    4. Run Flash_tool.exe with Admin Rights
    3. Chose Scatter-Loading and choose MT6582_Android_scatter.txt (in Recovery folder)
    4. Now you will see checekd only one checkbox - recovery, if not click on it and choose recovery.img
    5. Press Download
    6. Plug your device to PC.
    7. Wait few seconds.
    8. Have CWM on your device :)

2. ROOTING
    1. Download newest version of SuperSU (http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu). Now it's 2.02 ( http://download.chainfire.eu/452/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip)
    2. Put in on SD-CARD :)
    3. Turn off your device and press VOL DOWN + VOL UP + POWER for about 7 seconds.
    4. Apply package.
    5. Have rooted tablet :)

If you want u can give me tip for a beer :) - 96koli1996@gmail.com - I will be very cheerful :)

Donors:
    Empty list :(

Sorry for my english if something wrong.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices!

Hi!
    I found working method for root Lenovo A3500-H!
    I don't know how it's with A3500-HV!
    I spent a lot of time for searching informations how to root this device and i have found it!
    Original topic: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=590712
    But I translated it to english :)
    So, let's go :)

1. INSTALLING RECOVERY
    1. Download attachment.
    2. Turn off your device.
    3. Unpack Recovery.zip
    4. Run Flash_tool.exe with Admin Rights
    3. Chose Scatter-Loading and choose MT6582_Android_scatter.txt (in Recovery folder)
    4. Now you will see checekd only one checkbox - recovery, if not click on it and choose recovery.img
    5. Press Download
    6. Plug your device to PC.
    7. Wait few seconds.
    8. Have CWM on your device :)

2. ROOTING
    1. Download newest version of SuperSU (http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu). Now it's 2.02 ( http://download.chainfire.eu/452/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip)
    2. Put in on SD-CARD :)
    3. Turn off your device and press VOL DOWN + VOL UP + POWER for about 7 seconds.
    4. Apply package.
    5. Have rooted tablet :)

If you want u can donate me on PayPal - 96koli1996@gmail.com - I will be very cheerful :)

Sorry for my english if something wrong.

Thanks a lot.
    It does work with A3500 HV as well on the latest Kitkat FW.
    Great!
    Check this please, it should work...

GPS fix2 nougat

Flashed successfully,works fine!
    Thanks,Sam!
    So, here's a link of a working TWRP 3.0.2 (and TWRP 3.1.1) for all lenovo a3500 variants, all functions are working for me on a Lenovo a7 40 a3500-FL, no issues no errors, definitely something we can work with..

https://uloz.to/!Fj2WOlOn4JSt/twrp-3-0-2-lenovo3500-img

G-drive mirror for twrp 3.0.2 for Lenovo a7 40 a3500
    TWRP 3.0.2 for Lenovo A3500

TWRP 3.1.1
    https://xdaforums.com/android/development/recovery-twrp-3-11-lenovo-a3500-t3684225

Latest TWRP by Liquidporting (currently TWRP 3.1.1-4)
    https://liquidporting.github.io/twrp/ (not working!)

By the way:
    I successfully run a Lenovo a7 40 a3500-fl with twrp 3.0.2 and RessurectionRemix 5.7.4 (final marshmallow build) which is fast, smooth and stable - especially compared to the stock Kitkat Rom, this solution makes the device feel almost new and kept me from buying a new one the last year...

Here's a link of RessurectionRemix 5.7.4 (G-drive) which I'm using and 2 others which I consider to be the most stable ones and definitely daily driver material at the time I'm writing, with about 7 or 8 different ROMs in total, it's working for the whole lenovo a7 40 a3500 (F/FL/H/HV, etc.) family, declared H/HV version have RIL (Telephony) working when F/FL versions have not as these models are WiFi variants, you can change the build.prop to display the the correct model cause this will show lenovo a7 a7 40 a3500-fl (or any different version from yours), it's just a cosmetic... :) also unwanted telephone settings on a Wi-Fi tablet can be hidden with Xposed Framework and a module called "settings editor", which works really nicely...

RessurectionRemix 5.7.4 (android 6.0.1)

RessurectionRemix 5.8.4 (android 7.1.2)

Bluetooth fix for Nougat

->GPS fix Nougat

->Camera fix for Nougat

----------------------
    CyanogenMod 13 (android 6.0.1)

lineageOS 13 (android 6.0.1/latest marshmallow ROM)

For volume level being to loud flash this in recovery:
    Audio_Fix/android 6

This device has a unlocked bootloader by default, so the easy way is to use kingroot to gain root privileges, then install flashify or rashr for Playstore to flash the TWRP image, after that boot to recovery by pressing and holding power and volume up & down simultaneously - now in TWRP do backup EVERY partition (especially NVRAM), wipe everything but internal storage and flash rom and Gapps (according to the device architecture)... This method works without a PC, alternatively the method described by OP can be used :)

Edit: non of the work is mine, I don't claim any credits whatsoever, it's just what could be found on the web by anyone, links I share are from tested working roms, they may contain bugs or are unsave to use, privacy concerns must be assumed but I personally cannot confirm any issues whatsoever..
    Do at own risk! Good luck!

Finally I found the man who belongs the most credit for all the goodness! Thank you @mihael zzzzz

Hi ,Sam.
    Just flashed both fixes.
    GPS fix gave error :"META INF can't be found"
    Camera fix is okay and the photos are with good quality

Hope it was useful!
    Best regards!??

Edit

GPS 's META INF does miss from the fix.
    Just check in details the zip

Wow you are great sir! I download this two fixes thx, but only camera_fix now flashed and it works - the TMC.zip like corrupt if I wanna flash I get error on TWRP maybe got corrupt on upload to server? I don't now thx again for your patience...
    With regards Bukalemon

Sent from Lenovo a3500 with 7.1.2

Check this please, it should work...

GPS fix2 nougat