[GUIDE][TOOL][ROOT]Cubot Note Plus (MTK6737T) Root with Magisk V0.3

Search This thread

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
Ran into a bit of an issue here, I received an official OTA so I uninstalled Magisk by clicking uninstall within the APK, now my phone is stuck on the boot logo. I've tried to flash the original boot img, but I can't get into the system to confirm flashing it on the device. It displays under <adb devices> but when issuing the <fastboot flash boot> command it says <waiting for any device> and nothing occurs.

Not sure how to proceed without wiping the whole thing. Anything I can try?
OH!
Was it not possible to flash the Update without removing Magisk?
I got also a System Update, see attachment, but I doubt I could install it with having Magisk on my phone (and the rest: Magisk modules, root, Xposed with modules...).
Is it possible to install the update without uninstalling Magisk?
If this were possible, is Magisk after gone?

Attachments

• Cubot-Update.jpg
    Cubot-Update.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 148

Matthius

Sep 4, 2013
OH!
Was it not possible to flash the Update without removing Magisk?
I got also a System Update, see attachment, but I doubt I could install it with having Magisk on my phone (and the rest: Magisk modules, root, Xposed with modules...).
Is it possible to install the update without uninstalling Magisk?
If this were possible, is Magisk after gone?

I'm honestly not so sure - I soft-bricked my phone and had to use SP Flash tools to install the stock ROM again, wiping everything.

If there is a procedure for doing this without a custom recovery, I'd like to know. But, what I would definitely recommend is to not hit the "uninstall magisk" button.

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
Sorry for not responding here. I had some personal problems in real life. In the next days i take a look on the New update and rework the Programm. Sorry for that and for every one who get in trouble.

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
So i testet the New update with RoCuNo v0.2 and magisk. It works like befor. But i didnt recive the update via ota. So i had to flash it manualy with the flash tool. And after i flash the patched_Boot.IMG and reboot i have to flash the magisk.ZIP with magisk again but in flash mode (recomned and only availible after flashing magisk via Boot.IMG). But after this all works. I flashed than the magisk busybox Modul and after reboot it works. Busybox APP detect the busybox and also titanium backup found it and works with it. So nothing changes to the root Methode. But i will update the guide and also the RoCuNo tool with updated files and i will delet some features from Programm (like unroot until i get it to work. Sorry for this.) if someone recive the update via ota and can verify that magisk works after update please write it here for other users.

Hobler

Dec 19, 2017
So i testet the New update with RoCuNo v0.2 and magisk. It works like befor. But i didnt recive the update via ota. So i had to flash it manualy with the flash tool. And after i flash the patched_Boot.IMG and reboot i have to flash the magisk.ZIP with magisk again but in flash mode (recomned and only availible after flashing magisk via Boot.IMG). But after this all works. I flashed than the magisk busybox Modul and after reboot it works. Busybox APP detect the busybox and also titanium backup found it and works with it. So nothing changes to the root Methode. But i will update the guide and also the RoCuNo tool with updated files and i will delet some features from Programm (like unroot until i get it to work. Sorry for this.) if someone recive the update via ota and can verify that magisk works after update please write it here for other users.

Sorry, I don't get it :( "i had to flash it manualy with the flash tool" means you had to flash the full stock rom (V8) with SP Flash Tool?

Daniel 9999

Apr 1, 2007

aiaco

Oct 1, 2014
V09_20171210 is out and downloadable from cubot's forum site (however i get it via OTA after having installed v08).
I have tried to modify the system image system.img (by only changing one line in build.prop, related to language) and then flashed it using spflashtool but i obtained a bootloop, solved by flashing again the original unmodified system.img. It seems like some king of integrity check is performed on system files....
Any idea why it happens and how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
Sorry, I don't get it :( "i had to flash it manualy with the flash tool" means you had to flash the full stock rom (V8) with SP Flash Tool?

Only if you dont get it via ota update. With ota update you must not install it via flash tool. But after some Tests and flashing i found out that installing root with my tool the magisk and su dont work complete as it should. So after flashing magisk with tool and Boot.IMG and after phone boots into Android you have a third Option in magisk manager app on install button. There you can flash magisk.ZIP with the magisk app. If you do that all should work as if you flash magisk over recovery.

Reactions: Hobler
May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
Verstehe ich das richtig, die V8 ist das komplette ROM nach dem Update vom ca. November 17 ?
EN: understand I this right, the V8 is the complete ROM after the Update from around Nov. 2017?

Yes. You can install the small update via ota or the complete system via SP flash tool. I prefer the ota update because it dont delet anything (not testet by me), and you dont have to download the complete system and reset the phone. So ota update is the best to choose.

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
V09_20171210 is out and downloadable from cubot's forum site (however i get it via OTA after having installed v08).
I have tried to modify the system image system.img (by only changing one line in build.prop, related to language) and then flashed it using spflashtool but i obtained a bootloop, solved by flashing again the original unmodified system.img. It seems like some king of integrity check is performed on system files....
Any idea why it happens and how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info with New Version.

I think there is a sha or md5 file check in the installing routine. But i dont know much about this things. Sorry.

Hobler

Dec 19, 2017
Only if you dont get it via ota update. With ota update you must not install it via flash tool. But after some Tests and flashing i found out that installing root with my tool the magisk and su dont work complete as it should. So after flashing magisk with tool and Boot.IMG and after phone boots into Android you have a third Option in magisk manager app on install button. There you can flash magisk.ZIP with the magisk app. If you do that all should work as if you flash magisk over recovery.

Thank you. My Cubot had Build-Number "NOTE_Plus_7151C_V05_20170913" and its rooted with your RoCuNo+ v0.2 tool. It works great (thx for that) but unfortunately when I try to update the phone with ota update it won't work. After the download there is only the "reboot" message :crying:
So... is there any other chance to update the phone without loosing data? It would be great to have updates in future without loosing root ;)

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
Thank you. My Cubot had Build-Number "NOTE_Plus_7151C_V05_20170913" and its rooted with your RoCuNo+ v0.2 tool. It works great (thx for that) but unfortunately when I try to update the phone with ota update it won't work. After the download there is only the "reboot" message :crying:
So... is there any other chance to update the phone without loosing data? It would be great to have updates in future without loosing root ;)

Maybe the update Firmware Option in spflash tool can work for this. I test it after the Christmas days when i got time. I dont get otas. I think thats because my massive flashing and testing processes.

Reactions: Hobler

Hobler

Dec 19, 2017
Maybe the update Firmware Option in spflash tool can work for this. I test it after the Christmas days when i got time. I dont get otas. I think thats because my massive flashing and testing processes.

Thank you for your feedback. I had to flash the full stock rom (SP Flash Tool "Firmware Upgrade") because I had some problems with systemapps since the ota update attempt, even magisk had some problems. For example: I installed some Apps for which I needed magisk hide. When I set the "check" for hide nothing has changed. Next time when I opened magisk hide the "check" was gone...:crying:

So I flashed V8 and rooted the phone with ... +v0.3 and it works very well - thank you :good: I hope the ota updates will work next time!

For now, the only problem is that ccleaner crashes when I want to freeze/deactivate some apps. Maybe this is a ccleaner specific problem^^

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
The uncheck settings Bug is also on my Phone. If i Check The Systemless adaway Option or Something, It Sets it top Off after reboot. Thats Not a big Problem because adaway does his Job. But fully working magisk is The better solution. Thats why i am flash The magisk ZIP again after flashing it with RoCuNo+. Maybe IT can be fixt in Future. But thanks dir The Infos.

May 14, 2013
Halle (Saale)
Only The magiskmanager App. IT Patches The boot.img with His Files to Work. I didnt Insert or flash anything to The boot.img. You can make this all By your own with magisk Manager App If You dont Trust my Files. Thats OK.

Reactions: aiaco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !!! YOUR WARRANTY IS NOW VOID !!!

THIS TOOL IS FOR CUBOT NOTE PLUS ONLY.

neither I nor the XDA Forum is responsible for your phone brick or your cat triggers an atomic apocalypse. YOU has been responsible for your phone and you are doing everything at your own risk.

This is a tool for rooting the CUBOT NOTE PLUS ONLY.
    NOTE: THIS TOOL IS IN ALPHA STAGE

RoCuNo+_v0.3 is online.
    Downloads see post 2

This tool can root your Cubot Note Plus and patch your boot.img for working with Magisk.
    this tool can make this in seperate steps or All-In-One. For now the bootloader must stay UNLOCKED for root to work.
    A guide to doing this by yourself with adb is also in this post.

NOTE: ALL YOUR DATA GET LOST. SAVE YOUR IMPORTANT DATA FIRST. (Videos, Pictures, Music and all you can save.)

What this tool can do:
    • Unlock/Relock your Bootloader
    • Root/Unroot your Cubot Note Plus (Unroot dont work for now)
      [*]Make a Dump of your Boot Partition as boot.img
    • Install MagiskManager-v5.4.3 and Magisk-v14.0

Please download the attached zip and unzip it somewhere and rightclick on RoCuNo+_V*.bat and start as Administrator.
    Read all carefully and choose your option. Follow the instructions on screen STEP BY STEP!!!
    Better way is to choose the AIO because that makes all for you except a few steps.

Downloads see post 2

GUIDE

OEM UNLOCK + ROOT + MAGISKMANAGER APP

01. make sure you have installed ADB drivers
    02. enable "Developer Options" Menu ("Menu --> Settings --> About Phone" tap "Built Number" 7 times.)
    03. enable "USB DEBUGGING" and "OEM UNLOCKING" (Go to "Menu --> Settings --> Developer Options")
    04. enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES" in "Menu --> Settings --> Security"
    05. connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC
    06. make sure all Drivers are installed.
    07. go in RoCuNo+ Directory on PC
    08. press Shift + Right Mouse Click
    09. Open Command Prompt here
    10. type
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    11. type [ODE]fastboot oem unlock[/CODE]NOTE: ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE DELETED
    12. press VOL+ Button on phone to oem unlock
    13. type
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    14. type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    15. if you have unlocked your bootloader, make your setup
    16. enable "Developer Options" Menu ("Menu --> Settings --> About Phone" tap "Built Number" 7 times.)
    17. enable "USB DEBUGGING" (Go to "Menu --> Settings --> Developer Options")
    18. type
    Code:
    adb install -r -d -g MagiskManager-v*.*.*.apk (set the Version numbers for *)

OEM LOCK

02. enable "Developer Options" Menu ("Menu --> Settings --> About Phone" tap "Built Number" 7 times.)
    03. enable "USB DEBUGGING" and "OEM UNLOCKING" (Go to "Menu --> Settings --> Developer Options")
    07. go in RoCuNo+ Directory on PC
    08. press Shift + Right Mouse Click
    09. Open Command Prompt here
    10. type "adb reboot-bootloader"
    11. type "fastboot oem lock"
    12. press VOL+ Button on phone to oem lock
    13. type "fastboot reboot"

UNROOT

07. Download SP Flashtool and Firmware for Cubot Note Plus
    08. Start SP Flashtool and choose the MT6737T_Android_scatter.txt from the Cubot Note Plus Firmware Folder.
    09. Turn off the Cubot Note Plus.
    10. Click on Downloadbutton and connect the Cubot Note Plus to PC.
    NOTE: ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE ERASED. MAKE A BACKUP IF YOU NEED.
    11. After Flashing is complete, reboot Phone.

Old Guide

• Save your data.
    • Connect your phone to PC and make sure all drivers are installed. (Boot up to normal system, recovery and fastboot to get sure.)
    • Open a CMD Prompt on your PC and switch to Directory where you have unzipped the RoCuNo+. (e.g. C:\Users\YourName\Desktop\RoCuNo+ or You can go to RoCuNo+ folder and Shift+Rightclick on empty space and click "open Command Prompt here".)
    • Type:
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
    • Than:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      NOTE: ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE DELETED
    • Press VOL+ on Phone if asked
    • wait for device for unlock
    • Type:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    • Setup your phone until you come to system.
    • Enable "Developer Options" Menu. Go to Menu --> Settings --> About Phone and tap Built Number 7 times until a message appears that you are now an Developer.
    • Enable USB DEBUGGING and OEM UNLOCKING in Menu --> Settings --> Developer Options.
    • Enable UNKNOWN SOURCES in Menu --> Settings --> Security
    • Copy MTK-Engineering-Mode.apk and MagiskManager-v5.4.0.apk on your and install this to apps.
    • open the MTK-Engineering-Mode app tap on MTK Settings and swipe to Log and Debugging.
    • Tap on User2Root and than the Root button.
      NOTE: UNPLUG AND RECONNECT YOUR PHONE. DONT CLOSE THIS APP OR DO SOMETHING ON THE PHONE. YOU LOSE YOUR ROOT IF YOU DO SOMETHING.
    • Go back to CMD Prompt on PC and type:
      Code:
      adb root
      adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk07p of=/sdcard/boot.img
    • Now open MagiskManager app and tap the Install button.
    • Choose to inject in boot.img
    • Point Magisk to the boot.img.
    • after Magisk has succssesfully patched the boot.img it will copy it to /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img.
    • Copy your boot.img from sdcard AND the patched_boot.img from sdcard/MagiskManager to the RoCuNo+ folder on your PC.
    • Go to CMD Prompt and type:
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
    • than type:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    • when flashing is ready, type:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot.
    • on phone go to MagiskManager app and check if Magisk and Root are on green state.

You succssesfully have rooted your Cube Note Plus.

Take care of the boot.img and the patche_boot.img in case we need them on some day.

DONT RELOCK YOUR PHONE BECAUSE YOU CANT WRITE ON /SYSTEM PARTITION WITH LOCKED BOOTLOADER. (for now.)

I hope that helps many people with his/her phone and maybe someone can make TWRP or a Custom Rom for our phone. Now the Door is Open.
    if someone found better solution for some tasks here please let us know.

Changelog
    RoCuNo+ v0.3

Delet the Unroot Section because it doesent work for now.
    update Magisk Manager App to 5.4.3.
    Update Guide.
    Update patched_boot.img.

RoCuNo+ v0.2

complete rework.
    all should now work.
    now the original verified-boot.img from Cubot is implemented. so root and unroot works now.
    ive patched the original verified-bood.img with magisk so no boot.img dump has to be made.
    the tool now detects what state you are and boots the state needed for his job.
    only magisk manager app has to be installed on device and the tool do this for you.
    the tool detects if you are already oem unlocked or not. so if you already unlocked you dont
    need to do that again. it also detects in witch state your phone and boots the right mode.

Credits to XDA-Developer Schwester_Gabi (https://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=5264039) and the Flampinko.IT Team (flampinko.it@gmail.com)
    you can use this tool on your own risk but its not allowed to share this tool in other forums or blogs or something. but you can write about this tool and link
    than over to the XDA-Developer Forum under (https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-cubot-note-plus-mtk6737t-root-t3695272)
    it is also not allowed to copy the code or change anything in this programm. Only Schwester_Gabi or the Flampinko.IT Team is allowed to change the code.
    If you have any Ideas to implement in this tool than post it over to XDA-Developers Forum (https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-cubot-note-plus-mtk6737t-root-t3695272)
    or send us an Email (flampinko.it@gmail.com). If you like our work please make a donation to help us.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ZXVV3MZX2NVK6
    please respect the developers work and stick to the rules.

Credits and special thanks to:
    topjohnwu for the awesome Magisk
    themonsterit for MTK-Engineering-Mode App
    Schwester_Gabi for finding the way and coding the RoCuNo+ programm
    all the people who write solutions for problems that i read to find the way too root.
    XDA-Developer Team to giving us such a great Platform to share our stuff with the world.
    Cubot Note Plus Stock Rom:
    V8:
    Mirror 1
    V7:
    Mirror 1 / Mirror 2

SP Flash Tool for Cubot Note Plus Stock Rom:
    Mirror 1 / Mirror 2

Cubot Note Plus Stock Scatter File for flashing:
    Mirror 1 / Mirror 2

RoCuNo+_v0.1(Alpha):
    Mirror 1 / Mirror 2

RoCuNo+_v0.2:
    Mirror 1 / Mirror 2

RoCuNo+_v0.3:
    Mirror 1
    Problems:

i got some problems with dumping boot.img. the partiton size is 16M and the dd dump is also 16M but if i try to flash it back fastboot says the file is to large for partition. thats why unroot doesent work for now. Magisk patch the boot.img and resize them to 8M. than flashing works fine and all works. if someone can point me in the right direction would be very nice. if you have some questions please write here or pm me.
    if someone can make a scatter file for this phone or had the scatter file it would be nice to share so we can try to backup the phone with SP Flash Tool. thanks.

if you found some bugs please tell it here so i can fix it.
    Thanks for this great work, worked flawlessly. Just wondered, now we've got this root, is there any custom recovery we can install for it? (I realise many things will be available through Magisk's modules already, but still just wondered.)

not now. i hope that someone can make an TWRP or CWM for the Cubot and share it with us.