Restore Windows Phone 8 if you have Android installed (Windows instructions)

Search This thread
Jan 10, 2017
really need a video on this one.

Thanks to @feherneoh who posted the content of this thread originally here: Post #1
Post #2

NOTE:
DO NOT ask for a backup. If you do not have one, you have to accept to be permanently on Android like me.

Create a folder somewhere that we can use
Copy the backup to that folder
extract the zip I attached to this folder
Download these into the folder:
imgman.exe
Original partition table
recovery_unsecure.img

create another folder inside this one called "parts"

run this command:
Code:
Code:
imgman64.exe <backup.img> parts
replace <backup.img> with the filename of your backup

Code:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery_unsecure.img
adb push fame_wp_unlocked.gpt /cache/
adb shell
sgdisk --load-backup /cache/fame_wp_unlocked.gpt /dev/block/mmcblk0
sync
sync
reboot
ADB should disconnect at this point
Code:
Code:
fastboot flash <partition> parts\<partition>.img
WHERE <partition> is one of these (flash them in this order):
TZ
SSD
RPM
WINSECAPP
MODEM_FSG
MODEM_FS1
MODEM_FS2
UEFI_BS_NV
UEFI_NV
UEFI_RT_NV
UEFI_RT_NV_RPMB
PLAT
MMOS
EFIESP
UEFI

Then reboot the phone with
Code:
Code:
fastboot reboot
Phone will show smiley of death, that's normal
From this point, you can use WDRT to flash a clean WP, or reflash the one from the backup using thor2
thor2 should be at
64-Bit Windows
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool
32-Bit Windows
Code:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool
To do this
Code:
Code:
thor2 -mode rnd -bootflashapp
wait for the phone to show the alternative NOKIA logo, where the text is not centered vertically
Code:
Code:
thor2 -mode uefiflash -partitionname MainOS -partitionimagefile parts\MainOS.img
thor2 -mode uefiflash -partitionname Data -partitionimagefile parts\Data.img
EDIT: or just flash your phone's FFU file (download from lumiafirmware.com ):
Code:
thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile <Path-to-FFU> -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset
thanks to @feherneoh for this hint
And then reboot:
Code:
thor2 -mode rnd -bootnormalmode
WP8 should boot :)

Instead of thor2 you can flash MainOS and Data partition/FFU (with both partitions included) with WPInternals or WDRT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the instructions aren't as good as the ones that helped the android on our Lumia devices. Since my phone is active only for an hour at most then it won't power up but charging would show 100% battery so I've decided to rollback to windows to at least utilize as a portable hotspot device but the instructions here
{
}
I cant extract the zip as it is empty, these instructions are confusing please make a video like Sam's it was really good!

trashmaster76

Nov 26, 2016
the instructions aren't as good as the ones that helped the android on our Lumia devices. Since my phone is active only for an hour at most then it won't power up but charging would show 100% battery so I've decided to rollback to windows to at least utilize as a portable hotspot device but the instructions here
{
}
I cant extract the zip as it is empty, these instructions are confusing please make a video like Sam's it was really good!
1. Don't quote the whole OP
2. I've just copied this from @feherneoh
3. I don't have time

Sent from my Moto G4 using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017
file cannot be opened message from imgman64.exe

If someone does not notice that an empty zip means a corrupted download, you shouldn't care.
I have written clean, step-by-step instructions, 1% of the users not being able to follow them is not our problem.

Sorry, I just noticed that I was trying to look for '.zip' file 'Working Folder' attached to 'Android For Lumia' folder and it was empty so I got confused. In the post, it was mentioned that a zip file was attached and the names below had '.exe' '.img' and '.gtp' file so I didn't recognize while reading that post, the zip file was mentioned in the older post for the same and I tried to run the commands but it shows this message. Is that safe or a problem? should I proceed? @trashmaster76 @feherneoh

Attachments

• 2017-12-04_16-47-47.jpg
    2017-12-04_16-47-47.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 2017-12-04_16-48-49.jpg
    2017-12-04_16-48-49.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017
you seem to have whitespaces in the backup filename, so quote it
@feherneoh I tried that and still, it's the same. I have made a copy without whitespaces (just in case) and i tried running that too, the output is the same, I want to know what should be the output and what is wrong with what I am doing. I have attached the screenshots and thank you for helping.

Attachments

• 2017-12-05_17-13-03.jpg
    2017-12-05_17-13-03.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2017-12-05_17-14-06.jpg
    2017-12-05_17-14-06.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017
it only shows smiley of death now and the nokia logo

Your original partition table was different from mine, so you should probably reflash an FFU
OR you could try restoring your partition table from the backup, but I wouldn't mess with it if I was you

@feherneoh So I have this Nokia logo after which a blue screen with a smile of death even after that error cuz I didn't know how to revert back... so what to do now? Can I flash a windows phone OS or is it possible to repeat the Android method and try again? when attached to a power source its stuck in a loop of Nokia logo and smiley of death.

Reactions: goombah111

Abhishek Prem

Jan 13, 2017
Patna
@feherneoh So I have this Nokia logo after which a blue screen with a smile of death even after that error cuz I didn't know how to revert back... so what to do now? Can I flash a windows phone OS or is it possible to repeat the Android method and try again? when attached to a power source its stuck in a loop of Nokia logo and smiley of death.
At this stage please try to install new software from Windows device recovery tool

Reactions: ZekromInfinity
Jan 10, 2017
At this stage please try to install new software from Windows device recovery tool

@Abhishek Prem, I cant use WDRT directly as the device won't get detected I repeated the procedure to get TWRP on Lumia so I could start again and I encountered this message ( @feherneoh )(screenshot):
and I don't know what should I do after this... I am sure proceeding will cause the same situation.
EDIT: so I proceed anyway and now I am stuck using thor2 flashing where if I try to flash FFU file from any drive it shows 'access denied'
screenshot:

Attachments

• 2017-12-05_23-07-59.jpg
    2017-12-05_23-07-59.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 116
  • cmd_2017-12-05_23-52-10.png
    cmd_2017-12-05_23-52-10.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 108
  • cmd_2017-12-05_23-52-34.png
    cmd_2017-12-05_23-52-34.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017
I am back to Windows Phone :)

WDRT has a "device not detected" button, use that
That way it will detect the phone in bootloader mode too, otherwise it wants the phone to be fully booted
Remove the battery to turn the phone off, open WDRT, select the not detected option, then Lumia
insert the battery, connect USB, it should detect the phone

Now that I am back to windows phone, it seems like a matter of 20-30 minutes to go back and forth from windows to android and I am very grateful for this interesting project and all the help you provided. I would like to know if you guys are still on this project and Thank you again :)

Reactions: Abhishek Prem
Jan 10, 2017
Many of us are still "On this project". People are free to come and go, or take breaks. This is a spare time hobby project, to prove what is possible. Maybe it will help somebody, maybe not. Once mobile/3G is fixed, it will be more useful, but that will take more time.

Hello,
In my opinion, there are 4 major issues that are most important:
1. Cellular Support
2. Battery Fix (the battery is always 100% and after an hour it would shut down and needs charging when I start charging after that it still shows 100%)
3. Gapps
4. Performance (like at least run 2 apps and switch between them smoothly)

If these are fixed I don't think anyone will go back to Windows Phone (Like Bill Gates lol)

VARUNKANNADIGA

Dec 10, 2017
Can anyone tell me what to extract zip attached

imgman.exe
Original partition table
recovery_unsecure.img

yamataximoto

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for the useful feedback. We know exactly what went wrong, as you provided information on what changes you did before the phone went into a bootloop, and at what point the reboots happened.

As for the update, seems like you lack common sense, and let the battery run out of power, that is a serious mistake when dealing with a bootloop problem, as most phones cannot be flashed with their batteries being empty.

Welcome to XDA, where, like on most other forums, you won't get any help if you don't provide any info that would help us diagnose your problem.

Best regards: every XDA user.

well I actually left it plugged in and turned it off to charge and it did not turn on the day after, and it would loop after approximately 16 seconds of the Nokia logo, before the boot loop I tried to install facebook messenger through apk form and it loaded until the phone shutdown

Last edited:

yamataximoto

Dec 22, 2017
Reverting to WP with an empty battery is not fun.
You can flash some of the required partitions without battery, but you still won't be able to charge the battery

Your best chance would be getting into fastboot (if the phone vibrates, it should be possible, then fastboot boot TWRP
TWRP has battery charging, so that should be able to get the phone back into a flashable state

i guess charging it using my pc was a bad idea :)

i moved it to a wall outlet and it booted to android

thank you for your help :)

Last edited:

Riezo

Dec 25, 2017
i have a problem if u can help me
lumia 520

"Recovery
your pc needs to be repaired"
0xc00014c

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to @feherneoh who posted the content of this thread originally here:Post #1
    Post #2

NOTE:
    DO NOT ask for a backup. If you do not have one, you have to accept to be permanently on Android like me.

imgman.exe
    Original partition table
    recovery_unsecure.img

EDIT: Someone seems to have taken down the main Android4Lumia thread, along with it's creator and it's attached files. The files can be found in the attachments down below.
    create another folder inside this one called "parts"

run this command:
    Code:
    Code:
    imgman64.exe <backup.img> parts
    replace <backup.img> with the filename of your backup

Code:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery_unsecure.img
    adb push fame_wp_unlocked.gpt /cache/
    adb shell
    sgdisk --load-backup /cache/fame_wp_unlocked.gpt /dev/block/mmcblk0
    sync
    sync
    reboot
    ADB should disconnect at this point
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot flash <partition> parts\<partition>.img
    WHERE <partition> is one of these (flash them in this order):
    TZ
    SSD
    RPM
    WINSECAPP
    MODEM_FSG
    MODEM_FS1
    MODEM_FS2
    UEFI_BS_NV
    UEFI_NV
    UEFI_RT_NV
    UEFI_RT_NV_RPMB
    PLAT
    MMOS
    EFIESP
    UEFI

Then reboot the phone with
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Phone will show smiley of death, that's normal
    From this point, you can use WDRT to flash a clean WP, or reflash the one from the backup using thor2
    thor2 should be at
    64-Bit Windows
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool
    32-Bit Windows
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool
    To do this
    Code:
    Code:
    thor2 -mode rnd -bootflashapp
    wait for the phone to show the alternative NOKIA logo, where the text is not centered vertically
    Code:
    Code:
    thor2 -mode uefiflash -partitionname MainOS -partitionimagefile parts\MainOS.img
    thor2 -mode uefiflash -partitionname Data -partitionimagefile parts\Data.img
    EDIT: or just flash your phone's FFU file (download from lumiafirmware.com ):
    Code:
    thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile <Path-to-FFU> -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset
    thanks to @feherneoh for this hint
    And then reboot:
    Code:
    thor2 -mode rnd -bootnormalmode
    WP8 should boot :)

Instead of thor2 you can flash MainOS and Data partition/FFU (with both partitions included) with WPInternals or WDRT
    I am sharing the link of lumia 520 backup files Parts
    NOT HERE!!!
    Do not!!! I told you I will explain!!! Remove now! Check your PM you are giving private data away!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

can anyone share the backup partitions or backup.img :eek:
    You need dto listen to instructions, can't help those that don't. You took the risk and now karma got you back, this could have saved you but you made a bad choice, sorry to say that.
    Which partition is including the imei no and i have dump files (using wpinternals) of lumia 520 is it helpful.

I think it's the Microsoft Device Provisioning Partition (dpp)
    Can anyone tell me step by step how to make a backup of my phone I'm on WP 8.1 unlocked bootloader and able to boot in mass storage mode.???

Download Win32DiskImager and boot WP Mass Storage Mode.
    A new drive letter will show up which you mustn't repair if Windows asks.
    Then open Win32DiskImager, click on the folder icon and choose a path for your backup image file.
    After this press the "Read" button.
    Done!