Moto G Stylus 5G

Bandit Development

Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
icsmidland.com
Just a small update. From the fastboot menu, I did
Code:
Fastboot flashing lock_critical
Which gave me the option to ''unlock bootloader'. It can't be this easy, but uhhh. I'll keep this thread updated...

Maybe I'm missing something, but this method didn't work for me. (Pixel 2 XL, purchased on Verizon, updated to 8.1)

Step 1:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 2:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock_critical
But I got this error:
Code:
FAILED (remote:         Device already : locked!)

Are these the steps you followed? Thanks

D3RP_

Mar 20, 2016
Moto G Stylus 5G
Maybe I'm missing something, but this method didn't work for me. (Pixel 2 XL, purchased on Verizon, updated to 8.1)

Step 1:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 2:
Code:
fastboot flashing lock_critical
But I got this error:
Code:
FAILED (remote:         Device already : locked!)

Are these the steps you followed? Thanks

Yes, I am on Walleye so it may be different. Does just doing
Code:
fastboot lock
do anything? Since "lock-critical" is specified by Google an XL only command.

Reactions: Bandit Development

D3RP_

Mar 20, 2016
Moto G Stylus 5G
So you just issued the unlock command, you did not sideload a modified OTA?

What about the slider in Dev Options, did you ever touch that?

No, I was originally in that section to see what commands I could issue and figured I was already locked, so locking again couldn't hurt. I issued the
Code:
 fastboot flashing lock-critical
command, which gave me the option to unlock, for some reason. The only dev option I touched was USB debugging. I am in no way an Android dev, so no modified OTA sideload and I'm learning how this worked as we go man, it's just a weird situation.

mamarcac

Sep 29, 2016
Oh my goodness this is pretty exciting stuff...curious to hear if others have success. I'm not set up to try it on my Pixel 2 yet but would love to get it done soon if it works.

Thanks for posting and sharing your info!

enzyne

May 4, 2007
Montana
This worked on my Verizon pixel 2 you will lose all of your data. For some reason flashing the lock critical command will unlock the bootloader on the pixel 2. Not the XL.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Would it be possible to modify the .bin in an OTA sideload for a root? Am I missing a key point in how this works? Or is it just, no one's done it yet?

Edit: I guess it just took a passion and a situation. See thread for unlock.

Edit Part 2: Electric Boogaloo: Just a quick recap of what's happened here. From the bootloader screen on my Pixel 2 (Walleye) I ran the
    Code:
     Fastboot flashing lock_critical
    command, which then gave me a menu asking if I really want to lock it, or unlock it, I clicked unlock, and here we are. So far, only @zinchalk has confirmed this working. I would love for more people to try this out on their Verizon Pixel 2's and come back with the results. This was either the weirdest fluke of all time, or the best mistake Verizon has ever made. Either way, I hope it works for you :)

Edit 3: Well there's the January Patch This looks like it 'fixes' the bypass.
    Correction: Nevermind, nothing is confirmed yet. And the people have decided there is no way this could be patched that quickly.

Edit 4: I'm seeing way too many people posting about bricked phones. Please don't do this UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I cannot live knowing that someone ruined their phone with this method. Please be safe.
    @SoloTSi97 has confirmed this does work on the January 5th security patch!

Edit 5: There it is, we have people confirming the Verizon OTA being pushed this late January is patching the fastboot unlock method. Keep this in mind down the road guys.
    Holy smokes. We know it works, enough already. What a bore fest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Oh let them have their fun, every confirm is a good thing.
    Final Update

So that worked. Currently rooted with TWRP on my Verizon Pixel 2. Spread the word, or don't.
    I'll come right out and say it.... I don't care one bit about the security implications this exploit revealed. If someone has stolen my phone, then the last thing I am worried about is how easy or hard it is for them to bypass FRP. My phone is gone and it's not coming back either way.

It feels like we're all worried about something in theory but it doesn't have any practical effect. Let's just enjoy the benefits of it as device owners who have the right to do whatever we want to a product we own... Before it's too late and gets patched.

I think the people afraid of the implications are actually more afraid for companies than themselves. I can say with 99% certainty, because this was released and is not public information, someone is getting fired. Which may lead to stricter lock procedures. Or (for what i'm hoping) Verizon will give up on locking bootloaders. But it's really up in the air right now
    What are the (if any) downsides to doing this? I don't plan to flash a new rom or anything, but I don't want to lose the opportunity to in the future. Does this open me up to security holes? Is there a way to save my data so after unlocking I still have everything?

Edit: Also, how much time do I have to do this? Is this something that Verizon/Google can fix without me knowing? Or would I need to take an OTA update for it to be fixed?

Edit 2: A more general question: Does the Pixel 2 do OTA updates automatically or will I be prompted to have it update? In other words, if Verizon pushes an update in the middle of the night, will my phone automatically update?

You can use the backup feature on the pixel 2 to reload your apps and settings.

Rooting always exposes you to some level of security risk, but so does driving a car. Hasn't stopped me from doing either.

You can take as much time as you need to decide if you want to do this, but if you update past the December security patch, there is no guarantee you can get it to unlock.

OTA updates will still be pushed to your device, but will not relock your bootloader.

Correction:
    They will fail to install automatically if you have root. You will have to side load from the Google OTA repository online.