Easy Upgrade to Unapproved EMUI 5 Update

Search This thread

jnakoda

Jul 31, 2016
Surabaya
Sometimes Huawei releases an update package without approving it. For instance, my device (VIE-L29C636) is getting a B382 update, but the update isn't approved for installation. Here's how to update to those update packages.
NOTE: Using this method, you can also safely upgrade your device even if it is rooted, or has some files system partitions altered. (Of course after finished this process, your device will become unrooted and any alteration to the system partitions mentioned below will revert).

Prerequisites:
  • Your device is already running EMUI 5 (do not attempt this procedure on EMUI 4 ROM, as the partition layout may differ, and the various firmware (modem, sensor hub, etc.) may not compatible.
  • Unlocked Bootloader AND FRP.
  • Latest TWRP from OpenKirin (more on that, including download link, click here).
  • Huawei Update Extractor, for extracting UPDATE.APP.
  • imgtool, to convert the sparse android image into an ext4 raw image file.

Method:
  1. Download your preferred update package from Firmware Finder app (Make sure to select the one which has 'FullOTA' designation on it. The package doesn't have to be a 'PV' package). Choose 'update.zip' and the other zip that has your region name on it (for instance, on my C636, look for the zip which has 'spcseas' on it's name). I will refer this 2nd zip as 'regional zip'.
  2. Extract the 'UPDATE.APP' from both zip archive.
  3. Using the Update Extractor on a Windows PC, Extract BOOT, SYSTEM, PRODUCT and VENDOR partitions from UPDATE.APP retrieved from 'update.zip', and extract CUST and VERSION from UPDATE.APP retrieved from your regional zip. You should end up with BOOT.IMG, SYSTEM.IMG, PRODUCT.IMG, VENDOR.IMG, CUST.IMG and VERSION.IMG.
  4. Convert PRODUCT.IMG, VENDOR.IMG and VERSION.IMG to an ext4 image using imgtool, for example:
    Code:
    imgtool PRODUCT.IMG extract
    Beware of overwriting the converted image. imgtool is hardcoded to output the converted file to 'extracted/image.img' folder. ALWAYS rename the image.img to something like 'product.ext4.img' after conversion.
  5. Reboot your device to bootloader mode. Flash BOOT.IMG, SYSTEM.IMG and CUST.IMG via fastboot. For example:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot BOOT.IMG
  6. Reboot your device to recovery mode. Type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    and hold the Vol Up button on your device to enter recovery mode.
  7. Upload the *.ext4.img converted earlier to your device (doesn't matter where, but I recommend using a safe place like '/sdcard', or USB OTG or external micro SD card). you can use 'adb push', MTP or OTG to upload/copy the ext4.img files to your device.
  8. for each *.ext4.img files, flash it to the appropriate named partitions in
    Code:
    /dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/*
    . You can use adb shell on your PC, and a command line program called dd on your device. For faster transfer, try to adjusting the block size to 8M. Example commands (execute from adb shell):
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/product.ext4.img bs=8M of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/product
    dd if=/sdcard/vendor.ext4.img bs=8M of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/vendor
    dd if=/sdcard/version.ext4.img bs=8M of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/version
  9. Exit TWRP (reboot to system), wait for several minutes for the system to build up it's AOT cache, and enjoy your new EMUI 5 with newer security patch, newer kernel and various features and bug fixes :cool: .

EDIT: I apologize that IMGTOOL isn't available in binary form for windows. You can try to use Linux virtual machines to run the IMGTOOL. Any modern GNU/Linux distro should be able to run the IMGTOOL.

Last edited:

jhleo1

Dec 6, 2012
Be Alert, by follow this so called "Easy Upgrade", you need to full backup of your data. It is because after upgrade, all data will be reset.

jnakoda

Jul 31, 2016
Surabaya
Be Alert, by follow this so called "Easy Upgrade", you need to full backup of your data. It is because after upgrade, all data will be reset.

In my case (upgrading from VIE-L29C636B370 to B382), it doesn't erase user data at all. And there is no reason it should erase the data.
But as always, backup your data before performing this procedure, in case something goes wrong.

faakher

Dec 17, 2012
@jnakoda
Thank you so much my friend. I was in great trouble as my System Update, File Explorer and Huawei ID apps was deleted from phone due to some experiment. I followed your guide and successfully flashed rom again and boom I got all files back.
Now going to experiment this on B382 firmware :)

And for those who are curious about this, I successfully used this process for 'meafnaf' region on P9 Plus (VIE-L29)
Once again thanks a lot @jnakoda

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

How to extract product version Vendors use imgtool..

imgtool is for converting .img files to ext4 raw image files.
To extract files, you need to use "Huawei Update Extractor" which is mentioned in OP.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

I confirm in my case (reflashing VIE-L29C185B380), data was not removed. But its better to backup your data first.

lucamenca30

Aug 29, 2017
@jnakoda
Thank you so much my friend. I was in great trouble as my System Update, File Explorer and Huawei ID apps was deleted from phone due to some experiment. I followed your guide and successfully flashed rom again and boom I got all files back.
Now going to experiment this on B382 firmware :)

And for those who are curious about this, I successfully used this process for 'meafnaf' region on P9 Plus (VIE-L29)
Once again thanks a lot @jnakoda

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

imgtool is for converting .img files to ext4 raw image files.
To extract files, you need to use "Huawei Update Extractor" which is mentioned in OP.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

I confirm in my case (reflashing VIE-L29C185B380), data was not removed. But its better to backup your data first.

Good Evening i had tried the guide but in my VIE-L09 doesn't work. What can i do? Bootloop infinity

kaku85

Sep 28, 2010
Saint Paul
great post, but as a simple user, i have no idea how to do this steps.
i have a p9 plus c605 b361 and rooted, and i cant update to anything

maahmd

Feb 8, 2014
Every time I want to update to a newer version do I need to repeat the steps?
Or I can directly install new updates from finder without confirmation?

maahmd

Feb 8, 2014
Every time I want to update to a newer version do I need to repeat the steps?
Or I can directly install new updates from finder without confirmation?

what this is ?!

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

What version? EVA L09: eva_l09b391_nocheckrecovery.img, or EVA L19: eva_l19b391_nocheckrecovery.img ??

maahmd

Feb 8, 2014

maahmd

Feb 8, 2014
Try it with the Link I give you.
There's no risk. If it works is good, if not, nothing will be changed. (only Recovery, which can be changed after)

Ok i will do it now if it does not work ..do you have a download link RECOVRY bised for p9 plus ?
Or I will pull it out of the update file :cool:
I'll tell you the result :cowboy:

Tecalote

Aug 6, 2015
Leipzig
Honor Magic4 Pro
Ok i will do it now if it does not work ..do you have a download link RECOVRY bised for p9 plus ?

I don't know what you mean now
Download the Nocheck Recovery for L29 from the Link I give you
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75234976&postcount=62
and do the instructions from the OP
https://xdaforums.com/p9/development/eva-nocheck-recovery-flash-unapproved-t3705125
But with the RIGHT Firmware for your VIE-L29 device (3 zips from Firmware Finder /FullOTA)
After updating Firmware Bootloader is closed and Root is gone.
You have to open again (Factoryreset low-level wipe - if it doesn't do 100% do it manually from settings /advanced settings /backup restore /Factoryreset with wipe of internal storage - this is important! ) and flash TWRP and Root again

Reactions: maahmd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sometimes Huawei releases an update package without approving it. For instance, my device (VIE-L29C636) is getting a B382 update, but the update isn't approved for installation. Here's how to update to those update packages.
    NOTE: Using this method, you can also safely upgrade your device even if it is rooted, or has some files system partitions altered. (Of course after finished this process, your device will become unrooted and any alteration to the system partitions mentioned below will revert).

Prerequisites:
    • Your device is already running EMUI 5 (do not attempt this procedure on EMUI 4 ROM, as the partition layout may differ, and the various firmware (modem, sensor hub, etc.) may not compatible.
    • Unlocked Bootloader AND FRP.
    • Latest TWRP from OpenKirin (more on that, including download link, click here).
    • Huawei Update Extractor, for extracting UPDATE.APP.
    • imgtool, to convert the sparse android image into an ext4 raw image file.

Method:
    1. Download your preferred update package from Firmware Finder app (Make sure to select the one which has 'FullOTA' designation on it. The package doesn't have to be a 'PV' package). Choose 'update.zip' and the other zip that has your region name on it (for instance, on my C636, look for the zip which has 'spcseas' on it's name). I will refer this 2nd zip as 'regional zip'.
    2. Extract the 'UPDATE.APP' from both zip archive.
    3. Using the Update Extractor on a Windows PC, Extract BOOT, SYSTEM, PRODUCT and VENDOR partitions from UPDATE.APP retrieved from 'update.zip', and extract CUST and VERSION from UPDATE.APP retrieved from your regional zip. You should end up with BOOT.IMG, SYSTEM.IMG, PRODUCT.IMG, VENDOR.IMG, CUST.IMG and VERSION.IMG.
    4. Convert PRODUCT.IMG, VENDOR.IMG and VERSION.IMG to an ext4 image using imgtool, for example:
      Code:
      imgtool PRODUCT.IMG extract
      Beware of overwriting the converted image. imgtool is hardcoded to output the converted file to 'extracted/image.img' folder. ALWAYS rename the image.img to something like 'product.ext4.img' after conversion.
    5. Reboot your device to bootloader mode. Flash BOOT.IMG, SYSTEM.IMG and CUST.IMG via fastboot. For example:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot BOOT.IMG
    6. Reboot your device to recovery mode. Type
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
      and hold the Vol Up button on your device to enter recovery mode.
    7. Upload the *.ext4.img converted earlier to your device (doesn't matter where, but I recommend using a safe place like '/sdcard', or USB OTG or external micro SD card). you can use 'adb push', MTP or OTG to upload/copy the ext4.img files to your device.
    8. for each *.ext4.img files, flash it to the appropriate named partitions in
      Code:
      /dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/*
      . You can use adb shell on your PC, and a command line program called dd on your device. For faster transfer, try to adjusting the block size to 8M. Example commands (execute from adb shell):
      Code:
      dd if=/sdcard/product.ext4.img bs=8M of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/product
      dd if=/sdcard/vendor.ext4.img bs=8M of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/vendor
      dd if=/sdcard/version.ext4.img bs=8M of=/dev/block/platform/hi_mci.0/by-name/version
    9. Exit TWRP (reboot to system), wait for several minutes for the system to build up it's AOT cache, and enjoy your new EMUI 5 with newer security patch, newer kernel and various features and bug fixes :cool: .

EDIT: I apologize that IMGTOOL isn't available in binary form for windows. You can try to use Linux virtual machines to run the IMGTOOL. Any modern GNU/Linux distro should be able to run the IMGTOOL.
    This is easier: https://xdaforums.com/p9/development/eva-nocheck-recovery-flash-unapproved-t3705125
    Image works on P9 Plus too. Used it for VIE-L09C432B380.

Try it with the Link I give you.
    There's no risk. If it works is good, if not, nothing will be changed. (only Recovery, which can be changed after)

I don't know what you mean now
    Download the Nocheck Recovery for L29 from the Link I give you
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75234976&postcount=62
    and do the instructions from the OP
    https://xdaforums.com/p9/development/eva-nocheck-recovery-flash-unapproved-t3705125
    But with the RIGHT Firmware for your VIE-L29 device (3 zips from Firmware Finder /FullOTA)
    After updating Firmware Bootloader is closed and Root is gone.
    You have to open again (Factoryreset low-level wipe - if it doesn't do 100% do it manually from settings /advanced settings /backup restore /Factoryreset with wipe of internal storage - this is important! ) and flash TWRP and Root again
    Can you describe how exactly you did it?
    It's for sure also interesting for others :)

Well I'll talk how but sorry for bad English
    Download latest version Use Huawei Firmware Finder (Play Store link) to download the latest firmware files - you will need all 3 zip files:
    - update.zip
    - update_data_full_public.zip
    - update_full_VIE-L29_hw_meafnaf.zip
    Tips: check for the latest number (102064 for b394) and ensure you have the larger filesize (around 2GB). For example, these are the latest at time
    OK
    Download recovery nocheck for p9 plus From https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=28173
    Reboot device to fastboot mode (power off fully, hold down volume button and connect USB cable)
    Run the following to flash recovery:
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery eva_l29b391_nocheckrecovery.img
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Send commands via ADB
    Phone should be booted back to system - connect phone via adb and allow root prompt:
    your phone must be rooted for work
    now
    Code:
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    su
    Create HWOTA folder:
    Code:
    Code:
    mkdir /data/update/HWOTA

Copy firmware to HWOTA folder (replace 102064 below with correct value - this is for b394):
    Code:
    Code:
    cp /sdcard/HWFF/102064/update* /data/update/HWOTA/
    Paste recovery command:
    Code:
    Code:
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
    Code:
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_full_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    Code:
    echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_full_EVA-L09_hw_eu.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
    Code:
    exit
    Finally reboot to recovery to start firmware upgrade:
    here its very Important !!!! for great update cuz with method for eva l09 didnt work
    so..
    finally Turn the phone off and now Press the volume up button and the volume down and power button 3 together
    When you take off the device,let the power button.... but hold the Volume Down and up button...now it well update your phone :cool: