[CLOSED][APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua - Android privacy manager [UNSUPPORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

t4323214

Jan 8, 2018
I have already explained why I am not going to add network restrictions. Adding network restrictions to XPrivacy was a mistake I am not going to make again. A privacy manager should manage data and internet connections are not data. This has nothing to do with NetGuard and everything to do with that a privacy manager and a firewall are not the same thing.

I have recently written something about features requests. Did you read that?

Sorry to bring it up again. Would there be a option to block app to access my wifi's ssid and my sim card provider or/and my phone's internet type(4g/3g/wifi/flight mode) ? These are data and a normal firewall cannot protect these information.
Again thanks for your awesome work.

xtam

Jan 19, 2011
@M66B

there is contact restriction, but is it possible to add "selected contacts" restrictions?
not all, but selected, few contacts i would like to be invisible for whatsapp.

scutworker

Jan 5, 2010
@M66B

there is contact restriction, but is it possible to add "selected contacts" restrictions?
not all, but selected, few contacts i would like to be invisible for whatsapp.

Not at the moment. But a few posts ago he said there might be an additional paid app in the future that allows you to choose what data is shared

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
So far I have been using the XPrivacy icon and the default Android Studio generated colors. If someone want to create a new icon with corresponding colors, please do so. My suggestion is to post a draft first, so we can get an idea of whether others like or dislike the created icon and colors.

My preference would be neutral colors and a simple icon. My VPN/Sentry is a good example of that (icon and colors were created by @Primokorn).

Relativitiy

Apr 10, 2015
This is a great app, keep up the good work please. Nougat needed this. There is just one thing I want. After the update, selection box becomes grey and nothing happens when touched. I guess it should first restrict the new permissions and after second touch it should unrestrict them. It should save a lot of time for me. Thanks again.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
This is a great app, keep up the good work please. Nougat needed this. There is just one thing I want. After the update, selection box becomes grey and nothing happens when touched. I guess it should first restrict the new permissions and after second touch it should unrestrict them. It should save a lot of time for me. Thanks again.

This is what I wrote about this earlier about this:
In my opinion you need to review first which restrictions are applied and which are not applied. It is reasonable to assume there was a good reason for that in the first place. I am aware this might be inconvenient when new restrictions are being added in new versions, but even those need to reviewed first. The goal is to keep the user interface as simple as possible both from code and user's perspective and this would add complexity without a good reason.

As an addition: Android doesn't support tristate check boxes and I don't won't to build one myself or use a third party library for that.

yan_saputra

Previous thanks for your hard work bro @M66B ... Work fully in custom rom rr v5.8.5 nougat v7.1.2 asus zf2 1080p x86 (ze551ml / z00a) device without any problems ... And thanks for the first stable release ... I can only wait specially in every stable release you ... ??✌️??

Best Regards,

(Simple Tester).

Last edited:

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
So far I have been using the XPrivacy icon and the default Android Studio generated colors. If someone want to create a new icon with corresponding colors, please do so. My suggestion is to post a draft first, so we can get an idea of whether others like or dislike the created icon and colors.

My preference would be neutral colors and a simple icon. My VPN/Sentry is a good example of that (icon and colors were created by @Primokorn).
Here is a draft with a wink to Lua's logo.

EDIT: I was playing around with v0.10 and suddenty I no longer get the list of apps.
OP3T - Android 7.1.2 (Resurrection Remix)

Attachments

• XPrivacyLua_512.png
    XPrivacyLua_512.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Screenshot_20180108-163114.png
    Screenshot_20180108-163114.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Log_2018-01-08_16-32-49.txt
    49.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Namnodorel

KrissSo

Aug 3, 2009
Paris
Hi Marcel,
A big big thank for working again on privacy stuffs, despite the negative comments that were unfairly written in XPrivacy thread. I've been using the Pro version for ages and will definitively run and test XPL on a spare device.

SWADED

Apr 15, 2011
You call it a bad decision because it doesn't suit you. I call it a good decision with a reason. There is a difference.

I don't mean this in a bad way, I only try to clarify the above: if you want personalized features and a planning, you can hire me.

Someone pay this man for network restrictions, i will chip in :p
Blocking specific urls was a amazing feature in the original XPrivacy imo

QkiZMR

Mar 21, 2011
Warsaw
Moto G5S Plus
Moto Z3 Play
honestly, as good of a feature that is...I would prefer that blocking urls be done via firewall..NOT in privacy tools such as this.
What? Block url via firewall? Do you know what URL means? Firewall is for blocking ip addresses. If you want block domains you need edit hosts file. But whole URL... Maybe by some local proxy.

Sent from Moto G (5S) Plus via Tapatalk

Reactions: solid.snake

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
What? Block url via firewall? Do you know what URL means? Firewall is for blocking ip addresses. If you want block domains you need edit hosts file. But whole URL... Maybe by some local proxy.

no I'm stupid...
maybe I should harass the developer to include something he already said several times he has no intention of adding.
maybe with a mass of people harassing him he will be more motivated to continue his servitude to his masters here at XDA...:rolleyes:

iu1nguoi

Jan 24, 2009
Not sure if it's a bug, but when there are new options to block in a app, I can't just check the top check box to select/deselect all, but have to manually check each of the items. Only then I can select/deselect all again. It is a bit annoying whenever new options are added

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008

Aside from my sarcasm...

URLs are more related to IP addresses
than account info, contacts etc...

Reactions: Namnodorel

scutworker

Jan 5, 2010
Someone pay this man for network restrictions, i will chip in :p
Blocking specific urls was a amazing feature in the original XPrivacy imo

For God's sake, man, shut up about network restrictions.

He has already said, multiple times, that he wont do it.

If you look at XDA, you will see many devs are moving away, or giving up, due to the attitude of users. Only the other day one of the Viper team cited this as a reason (although not the only one).

Marcel stopped the last Xprivacy project in part because of user's attitudes. Thankfully, he changed his mind with this one.

And here we are again we with people telling him to do something, when he has already said on multiple occasions he will not.

Do you want him to abandon this project as well? Then you won't have ANY kind of blocking let along network.

If you really need this, then buy either his firewall or AFWall+.

(sorry for the rant, but I can see Marcel giving up if this continues).

SWADED

Apr 15, 2011
For God's sake, man, shut up about network restrictions.

He has already said, multiple times, that he wont do it.

If you look at XDA, you will see many devs are moving away, or giving up, due to the attitude of users. Only the other day one of the Viper team cited this as a reason (although not the only one).

Marcel stopped the last Xprivacy project in part because of user's attitudes. Thankfully, he changed his mind with this one.

And here we are again we with people telling him to do something, when he has already said on multiple occasions he will not.

Do you want him to abandon this project as well? Then you won't have ANY kind of blocking let along network.

If you really need this, then buy either his firewall or AFWall+.

(sorry for the rant, but I can see Marcel giving up if this continues).

I only quoted Marcel saying you can pay him for features he wont implement on his own, I respect his decisions on this. If he didn't open the door a little by saying this could be paid features I wouldn't have brought it up again. This will be my last post in this thread, I will just read from now on. Last thing I want to do is annoy anyone. Don't even reply or quote this, let's drop it..

scutworker

Jan 5, 2010
I only quoted Marcel saying you can pay him for features he wont implement on his own, I respect his decisions on this. If he didn't open the door a little by saying this could be paid features I wouldn't have brought it up again. This will be my last post in this thread, I will just read from now on. Last thing I want to do is annoy anyone. Don't even reply or quote this, let's drop it..

You're right. I shouldn't have been so harsh, and I apologise for my tone. It was unwarranted.

I just don't want to see this go the way of so many others and come to an end.

I'll leave it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XPrivacyLua

banner_play_store.png

Really simple to use privacy manager for Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later (successor of XPrivacy).

Revoking Android permissions from apps often let apps crash or malfunction. XPrivacyLua solves this by feeding apps fake data instead of real data.

Features:

• Simple to use
    • Manage any user or system app
    • Extensible
    • Multi-user support
    • Free and open source

See here for all details, including installation instructions and download link.

Please read the frequently asked questions before asking a question.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of XPrivacyLua. Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to XPrivacyLua and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread, but anything not related to privacy is not allowed.

If XPrivacyLua doesn't work and/or when "module not running or updated" is shown, this is almost always caused by an Xposed problem.

Discussions about purchases are not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XPrivacyLua is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

Custom hook definitions will always be part of XPrivacyLua, but there will be community support only. This means that I won't respond to questions about defining custom hooks anymore. See this thread for the reasons.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project with a donation or by purchasing pro features.

XPrivacyLua is not a permission manager, but a privacy manager. XPrivacyLua doesn't block things and doesn't revoke permissions, but does replace real data by fake data. This means you can grant Android permissions to an app and still let XPrivacyLua prevent the app from seeing privacy sensitive data. Revoking permissions can result in an app refusing to work and/or to crash. However, replacing real by fake data generally doesn't let an app crash.

Currently restrictions are quite crude because they mostly replace real data by no data. For example restricting the contacts app from getting contacts will result in an empty contact list. In the near future it might be made possible to select the data an app may see, for example just one group of contacts.

About feature requests and bug reports:

The goal is to have a tool that can properly protect the privacy of many in the near future. However, it isn't paid work, so I do whatever I like whenever I like it.

You can request features in this XDA forum. I will read them, but I will not respond to them and they might or might not be implemented. If I know for sure something will not be implemented, I will let you know.

You can report any problem you have here. There will be no issue tracker on GitHub.

For now I have decided to not implement restrictions that are useful to prevent tracking only. There are simply too many data items that can be used for tracking and it would take too much time to develop restrictions for all these data items.

The basic idea is to restrict only things that 'define' you, so which contacts you have, where you are, which apps you use, etc.

Maybe we can widen the definition of things that the core of XPL covers to "What defines you, and what can be used to spie on you"? This would include camera/audio, but not tracking.

XPrivacyLua is pretty feature complete and will be maintained and supported and when there is a need new hook definitions will be added to better protect your privacy. For the rest this FAQ applies:

https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/FAQ.md#FAQ4

As said before, development will also depend on Xposed development, which is just minimal unfortunately.

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.

XPrivacyLua is supported with Xposed only. There is no support for VirtualXposed and TaiChi.
    I have just released beta version 0.5 in the Xposed repository.

The XPrivacyLua framework and user interface seems to be stable enough to call this a beta release.

Besides several bug fixes and improvements two new restrictions were added:
    • Read account name, which mostly holds your e-mail address and will be replace by 'privacy@private.com' when restricted
    • Read clipboard, which will be replaced by the text 'Private' when restricted

Furthermore the ability to restrict Android system (be careful!) and to restrict system apps was added. It is possible to restrict all of these individually (XPrivacy could not do that).

Be sure to take a look at the help page in the app again (use the ?-icon), since there were some useful hints added.

If you appreciate what I am building here, please let me know by means of an XDA thanks and/or a donation, so that I don't get the feeling 'What am I doing this for?'.
    I have just released alpha version 0.12 in the Xposed repository.

This version has been redesigned for Android Oreo compatibility. The user interface and the restrictions work properly for me, but be aware that a lot has been changed on the inside ("it is bigger on the inside", lol), also for earlier Android versions. There is one thing I know of that needs improving and that is that the user interface might be updated too often with a lot of restrictions, which might cause delays and hangs. I will look into this tomorrow.

This change was necessary, but it was a lot of work, so XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    I have just released beta version 0.25 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:

With this release XPrivacyLua restriction's can be compared with XPrivacy's. There are now over 100 restriction definitions!

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    @CHEF-KOCH You have been given enough time to respond here. Now I just think it is pretty cowardly to write critical about XPrivacyLua, but not to tell what can actually be improved, especially because you were invited to do so.

I still like to hear how XPrivacyLua can be improved, but I don't want to hear what is wrong with XPrivacyLua. You'll need to keep the scope of XPrivacyLua in mind (in short: privacy, not security), see the opening post and previous discussions about this for more information.

Also, if you really know better, I like to see an original work from your hands to prove that. Actions speak louder than words.

As it is now, you are discouraging one of the few people in the world who really did something substantial to improve privacy on Android. And don't go talking about VPNs, TOR, etc because your private information, like your contacts, will still leak.

I also think you are pretty ungrateful for what I did so far.

To others: if you see someone reference one of his blogs, please reference this comment in response.

Edit: if you agree with this, please add an XDA thanks to this comment, so it will show up in the right column as a reference for others.