Camera app with HDR+ enabled

Search This thread

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
Guys is this the only thread on gcam for Moto z?....and also I've been experiencing greenish tint on front portraits with latest mod from arnova.... Is anybody else experiencing the same issue?
Thanks.

I got a green tint on Arnova's 1.3 build on the front camera of my Moto Z too. Portrait mode doesn't work on the front camera for his latest 1.4 build for me. I think the issue is that Arnova is tweaking the software for the Oneplus 3/3T Redmi phones. Even though technically, the SoC are the same/similar, the camera hardware is different so may not work properly on our phones. It is a bit hard for a developer to make software work for hardware he doesn't have access to. I'm not too bothered about the front camera as I rarely take selfies, though it may be worth trying to ask in the Oneplus forum to see if anyone can help.

Reactions: RCN07

donvito12

Jun 27, 2011
www.youtube.com
On the new BSG version portrait mode works great on both cams, no more green tint :D but video crashes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
On the new BSG version portrait mode works great on both cams, no more green tint :D but video crashes

Which version are you using and what settings? I'm still getting a green tint on his latest:

MGC_5.1.018.177470874.41362666_LOS-15.1_A8.1_MI5S_v1a

I think this version is aimed more at the Redmi and Oneplus phones though I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Ooms

donvito12

Jun 27, 2011
www.youtube.com
Which version are you using and what settings? I'm still getting a green tint on his latest:

MGC_5.1.018.177470874.41362666_LOS-15.1_A8.1_MI5S_v1a

I think this version is aimed more at the Redmi and Oneplus phones though I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Ooms
Im using the v1a version with pixel 2017zsl and pixel 2 settings and dont have green tint but video doesnt work for me

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
Im using the v1a version with pixel 2017zsl and pixel 2 settings and dont have green tint but video doesnt work for me

Hmmm. Thanks. That's strange. Tried your settings but I still get a green tint regardless of what settings I choose. Video seems to work fine for my phone though. Not slow motion mind you, as my phone is unrooted and more or less stock. To enable slow motion I would need to root to edit some system files. I normally root all my phone's but this is the first phone I've used without really needing to root (until now maybe). Probably won't consider doing it though until official Oreo is released. I'll keep playing with the settings though to see if I can get any improvements. I know Arnova has a version that lets you tweak the colour settings for the front camera.

Thanks,

Ooms

Last edited:

donvito12

Jun 27, 2011
www.youtube.com
Hmmm. Thanks. That's strange. Tried your settings but I still get a green tint regardless of what settings I choose. Video seems to work fine for my phone though. Not show motion mind you, as my phone is unroofed and more or less stock. To enable slow motion I would need to root to edit done system files. I normally root all my phone's but this is the first phone I've used without really needing to root (until now maybe). Probably won't consider doing it though until official Oreo is released. I'll keep playing with the settings though to see if I can get any improvements. I know Arnova has a version that lets you tweak the colour settings for the front camera.

Thanks,

Ooms
My moto z is stock nougat

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
My moto z is stock nougat

Hah. Just cleared my data and started from scratch. Oddly, portrait mode is now working perfectly on the front camera, but video is not working, just like you. Hopefully that's a sign that the next few versions should get everything working.

Thanks,

Ooms

Reactions: donvito12

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah i hope so too :)

Just had another play and the following settings seems to work with portrait mode and video; Nexus 6P and Experimental Pixel. Only thing is the portrait mode is showing as SmartBurst photos but it is essentially a normal photo and one with a bokeh effect applied.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Ooms

Last edited:
Reactions: donvito12

donvito12

Jun 27, 2011
www.youtube.com
Just had another play and the following settings seems to work with portrait mode and video; Nexus 6P and Experimental Pixel. Only thing is the portrait mode is showing as SmartBurst photos but it is essentially a normal photo and one with a bokeh effect applied.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Ooms
Awesome, thx for the info ! :)

What are the best settings for Z?

First, you give the camera app all permissions (location is of course not a must) and also let the camera app "change the system settings".

Settings in Camera:

- "Config camera HDR +" on "Nexus 6 Auto" (Very important otherwise it will FC)
- Leave "Model" on default...
- HDR + parameters "Medium" or "High" is recommended ("Default" works of course)
- With "Advanced" Activate the buttons everywhere and set the "HDR + quality of jpeg" to 100%
All other settings you can leave at default, of course everyone can still adapt as he wants.

Last edited:

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
First, you give the camera app all permissions (location is of course not a must) and also let the camera app "change the system settings".

Settings in Camera:

- "Config camera HDR +" on "Nexus 6 Auto" (Very important otherwise it will FC)
- Leave "Model" on default...
- HDR + parameters "Medium" or "High" is recommended ("Default" works of course)
- With "Advanced" Activate the buttons everywhere and set the "HDR + quality of jpeg" to 100%
All other settings you can leave at default, of course everyone can still adapt as he wants.

These settings don't work for me. Camera crashes regularly. Just tried the new 1.5 version and it works fine with your settings. The green tint on the front camera has been fixed also.

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
Hey, How works Motion Photo ? I have the option enabled but the picture is static everytime ^^

Motion pictures is only sorted in Android O from my understanding. It won't work with 7.0 or 7.1.x. I just disable it. It may work when Oreo is finally released on our Moto Z but not too bothered if it doesn't.

dj_ooms

Mar 8, 2008
The 1.6 version by @Arnova8G2 works perfectly on my phone. Portrait mode works perfectly on the front camera without any green tint. I don't think HDR+ works on the front camera though. Slow motion doesn't work for me either but that's because I don't have root and need it to modify some files to get it working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all -- When I purchased a Moto Z late last month, I was excited about the device's performance but blind to the fact that I was going to lose the HDR+ camera mode that I had become so accustomed to with my Nexus 6.

This got me working on some potential solutions -- and after decompiling the Camera NX app posted on chromloop.com, I was able to change some settings that enable full HDR+ photography on the Moto Z. So if any of you are craving being able to take photos with Google's HDR+ mode, here is a modified APK that will allow you to do so: http://www.mediafire.com/file/l8num4lyw05vybt/Camera4-hdrplus.apk

I have been using it for several weeks on my Moto Z, and I can confirm that the HDR+ images come out looking much better than those taken with the stock camera app or even the same modified Camera NX app with HDR+ disabled. It's slightly buggy (low-light images are only occasionally not saved) but a great solution for any Moto Z users afflicted with the Nexus blues. This should also work on other devices with equivalent Camera2 API support; if you are wondering whether it will work, just try it -- if HDR+ images are successfully captured, your device supports the needed API calls.
    I created a little album on Google Photos demonstrating the difference between regular shots, the stock app's HDR mode and HDR+. They are shot in that order but I have put them in the description in order to aid identification. Differences can be subtle but often, they are very dramatic.

If you need to know, my variant is an unlocked standard Moto Z running Android 7.0 that's also rooted. It also has a 1/3" 13MP Sony IMX214 with 1.12-micron pixels and an f/1.8 aperture. Pretty sure the Force will do better since it has a larger sensor at 1/2.4". Regardless, HDR+ makes a significant enough difference that it has become my main camera app. If I still had my Note 7, I'd be drooling right now.

https://goo.gl/photos/bQ1NQzCCMmviGtCs6
    Hi all, OP checking in again. Great to see that so many people are finding this to be useful! For those of you who are asking about further development, trust that I would like the same thing, but since this was a modification of a compiled application, I'm not familiar enough with decompiling or modifying compiled apps to make much more progress. Going forward, I recommend following the progress at chromloop.com -- I originally found Camera NX there and simply modified it to enable HDR+ on all devices whose hardware supports it. However, it looks like the developer (who is far more skilled with modifying compiled apps than I am) has done the same thing to enable HDR+ -- however, only 7.1+ is supported now. When and if our Moto Z receives the 7.1 upgrade, the most updated version of Camera NX from chromloop will be the way to go.
    What is the configuration that needs to be done for the HDR + to work?
    This works for me on my moto z

091cf2bef9814bc95326e4b11256bdf1.jpg
    a6f4ab38cfc74d6236ca4c83b351952a.jpg

Will this be continually developed?
    Because this is a wonderful addition. Just needs some bug fixes and it'll be seriously golden.

I'm afraid that ongoing development of this app might be challenging, as I'm no expert in modifying decompiled apps, which this is (as the official Nexus/Pixel camera app is closed source). The extent of my modifications, believe it or not, was to return a constant boolean value of "true" for a function that checks whether a device is a Nexus 6P -- so the app enables HDR+ as the app is hard-coded to enable all functions available on Nexus 6P devices. It just happened to be very lucky that HDR+ is supported! -- I'm not so optimistic about being able to enable slow motion video, RAW capture, or manual control, but I will keep those in mind next time I have more time to work on this.