[Help Thread][Moto G4 Plus] (2016) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread
Are there no heating issues? Performance? Have you tried it yourself?
As u know like there is no ROM without heating issues , only we can expect only less heating or you can do it manually by using kernal and downgrading the cores clocking speed !
As I tried firehound is a bit good ROM in case of your requirements go for "citrus ROM " , less heating issues and awesome battery backup .:silly:

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

I'm a huge fan of miui Roms , as in my previous device I got a plenty of miui ROMs but to this new mobile (athene) I can't find much miui stable ROMs ! Why ?

tecnicomeiaboca

Dec 22, 2016
Hi, after installing custom roms Netflix got incompatible with my device, how can I solve it without downloading the obsolete version that Netflix demands me to use? I wanna be able to use what I'm paying for... Pip and offline series. (I'm using oreo)

Samruddh

Apr 28, 2017
Hello there..
Im using moto g4 xt1624.. i don even able to root my phone.because bootloader is not unlocking..ive tried all the steps..it always shows error for flashing of recovery image files.and also for getting unlock data code.pls help me! Even i want to experience the updated things in my phone like oreo update! Pls do reply!

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Hello there..
Im using moto g4 xt1624.. i don even able to root my phone.because bootloader is not unlocking..ive tried all the steps..it always shows error for flashing of recovery image files.and also for getting unlock data code.pls help me! Even i want to experience the updated things in my phone like oreo update! Pls do reply!

Can I ask what steps you're using to unlock your bootloader please? Are they similar to here https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=67031801&postcount=2 ?

What errors are you seeing for bootloader unlock and for the OEM unlock code? Can we see screenshots of the errors please?

Bear in mind you do not need to root to flash custom ROMs, just an unlocked bootloader and TWRP (64 bit TWRP for the custom Oreo builds)

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Okkhaayyy.... But still can't someone tell my looking at the logs that what went wrong. I don't know how to read logs. ?

As previously suggested without any lack of clarity: Use the general thread (here where I have replied). The dev thread, as stated in it's name, is for the LOS ROM (unmodified). It should also be noted that the Athene LOS 14.1 thread is one of the few with bug reporting instructions in the OPs of the thread (and reading OPs is an XDA rule for good reasons;)).

And also it was just 3 apk's. They are not the problem. But well if you say I'll again do a clean Flash and share the logs after a crash.

Doesn't matter if it was 3, 1 or 100. You've moved 3rd party user apps into system, thereby modifying the system, That is obviously not the native LOS ROM. As clearly stated in the dev thread OP:

"DO NOT report bugs if you've modifies system files"

If you remove the chassis from a new car and replace it yourself with something unsupported by the manufacturer, then if something goes wrong after that point you could not expect the manufacturer to be prepared with proper spare parts and wrenches or expect them to be willing to work on it at all.

Remove those non ROM factors which you have created, then you probably wont have those problem. If you do still have those problems in an actual clean flash then you could generate a viable bug report as described.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pratham Nathyal

Pratham Nathyal

May 30, 2015
Jammu
Okay.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

So can anyone tell me how to read logs or console ramoops. And figure out what caused a problem.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

As previously suggested without any lack of clarity: Use the general thread (here where I have replied). The dev thread, as stated in it's name, is for the LOS ROM (unmodified). It should also be noted that the Athene LOS 14.1 thread is one of the few with bug reporting instructions in the OPs of the thread (and reading OPs is an XDA rule for good reasons;)).

Doesn't matter if it was 3, 1 or 100. You've moved 3rd party user apps into system, thereby modifying the system, That is obviously not the native LOS ROM. As clearly stated in the dev thread OP:

"DO NOT report bugs if you've modifies system files"

If you remove the chassis from a new car and replace it yourself with something unsupported by the manufacturer, then if something goes wrong after that point you could not expect the manufacturer to be prepared with proper spare parts and wrenches or expect them to be willing to work on it at all.

Remove those non ROM factors which you have created, then you probably wont have those problem. If you do still have those problems in an actual clean flash then you could generate a viable bug report as described.

Hey man. So if I use root methods like Magisk which are systemless it won't be a problem then right. Then I can report a proper logcat. Right?

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Okay.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

So can anyone tell me how to read logs or console ramoops. And figure out what caused a problem.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Hey man. So if I use root methods like Magisk which are systemless it won't be a problem then right. Then I can report a proper logcat. Right?

Magisk as a root/SU method alone should not be problematic although the possibility that it could be a factor should be kept in mind. It is when managing modules things may get messier as is the case with Xposed. If you are only using Magisk for SU/Root you should still be able to submit a report at LOS Jira. I should add that these are opinions based on my experience but there are more knowledgeable users out there.

Also, If I understood what is going on in those logs I would check them out. When I have a chance I'll check them out just to learn but doubt I'd find anything helpful.

Last edited:

Pratham Nathyal

May 30, 2015
Jammu
Magisk as a root/SU method alone should not be problematic although the possibility that it could be a factor should be kept in mind. It is when managing modules things may get messier as is the case with Xposed. If you are only using Magisk for SU/Root you should still be able to submit a report at LOS Jira. I should add that these are opinions based on my experience but there are more knowledgeable users out there.

Also, If I understood what is going on in those logs I would check them out. When I have a chance I'll check them out just to learn but doubt I'd find anything helpful.

Thanks tell me when you do.

Icesmash

Nov 11, 2015
Xposed is really powerful which (i think) only can do modification to stock ROM, yes there is magisk which also can, but magisk is not powerful as xposed is..

If you don't want xposed or any app, that menu is available in magisk app, > magisk app> side pannel > moduls > 3 dot menu > choose where you want to reboot.

Thanks that was Incredibly useful! I didn't know Magisk Had that feature I ended up downloading Advanced Power Menu & hide the app using NOVA launcher so that my girlfriend doesn't accidentally boot into recovery/bootloader :laugh:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noxx.apm

Link in case anyone wants it ^^

Mar 18, 2017
I'm having trouble with custom ROMs with my Moto g4 plus ..on aosp extended data connection isn't working and I can't upload pictures on Instagram...and the phone's internal storage has decreased to 29 gb I can't figure out why ... please someone help with this

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
I'm having trouble with custom ROMs with my Moto g4 plus ..on aosp extended data connection isn't working and I can't upload pictures on Instagram...and the phone's internal storage has decreased to 29 gb I can't figure out why ... please someone help with this

Which aosp extended build do you have? Did you flash the latest stock ROM onto your device before flashing the custom ROM, so you have the latest baseband?

Do you have signal otherwise? Verify your mobile APN settings are correct for your SIM/network.

As for storage, are you on the 32 GB or 64 GB device? On my 32 GB device on stock, I'm seeing 25.4 GB for the /data partition, with the total internal storage capacity being about 29.7 GB (including the other partitions you normally cannot see)

Mar 18, 2017
Which aosp extended build do you have? Did you flash the latest stock ROM onto your device before flashing the custom ROM, so you have the latest baseband?

Do you have signal otherwise? Verify your mobile APN settings are correct for your SIM/network.

As for storage, are you on the 32 GB or 64 GB device? On my 32 GB device on stock, I'm seeing 25.4 GB for the /data partition, with the total internal storage capacity being about 29.7 GB (including the other partitions you normally cannot see)
Yes I was on the 7.0 nougat before flashing the custom rom I'm using aosp extended August build well I flash it again and everything is started to work fine now ... Can you explain when I flash pixel experience or some other orea roms total storage capacity extends to 32 gb from 29.7 but when I flash nougat roms it gets back to 29.7..

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Buenas noches soy nuevo en el foro tengo una consulta lo que pasa es que flashe mi moto g4 normal pero sin gapps y funcionaba normal después decidi flashear las gapps pero despues de que termino el flasheo ya no arranca se queda horas en el logo de lineage y tampoco entra en modo recovery se queda en el logo de twrp y se reinicia una y otra vez en el logo del twrp que puede ser

Google translation:
Good evening I am new to the forum I have a question what happens is that I flashe my normal g4 motorcycle but without gapps and it worked normal after I decided to flash the gapps but after I finish the flash it does not start anymore it stays hours in the lineage logo and it does not go into the recovery mode either, it stays in the twrp logo and it restarts again and again in the twrp logo that can be

FYI, at XDA it is required to post in English or to include a translation with the quote. Also your question seems to be about the process of flashing rather than the software development so I've replied in this different thread.
Assuming that you’ve updated the device on stock as far as it could be updated...

Perhaps you have flashed Gapps later after running the ROM, or have "dirty flashed.

Gapps and SU packages should be flashed in the same TWRP recovery session as the ROM.

This is what I do (Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if the universe breaks when you try this. Make sure you have a backup of all your apps :)):

- Place ROM, gapps, SU packages in folder on external SD.
- Boot to TWRP.
- Wipe dalvik and system cache.
- Backup old ROM.
- Full wipe (factory reset).
- Flash ROM, gapps and SU package in same TWRP (you can queue them as one long job).
- Wipe dalvik and system caches
- Boot to LOS intro screen should take no more than 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: sd_shadow

Icesmash

Nov 11, 2015
Hi, after installing custom roms Netflix got incompatible with my device, how can I solve it without downloading the obsolete version that Netflix demands me to use? I wanna be able to use what I'm paying for... Pip and offline series. (I'm using oreo)

Try using Magisk instead of SuperSu & removed Xposed as that invalidates safetynet. Alternatively you could download Netflix Apk from:

https://m.apkpure.com/netflix/com.netflix.mediaclient

https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

Top Liked Posts