You gotta love this phone

Search This thread

almahix

I've owned this great Nexus 6 since shortly after it was introduced. I've loved it since day 1. Lately I've been having problems with the USB connector. It was loose and the charging cable was constantly falling out. So I figured it was time to move on to a new phone. I hastily ordered a new Pixel 2 XL on Swappa without a second thought... it was was afterall the newest "Nexus".

I anticipated its arrival for a week. When it arrived I opened it up and did just a very minimal setup, just so I could see the settings. I was underwhelmed and immediately realized there was nothing about it that was better than the Nexus.

It had great specs, but nothing that was very exciting. It is said to have a spectacular camera, but that isn't a priority. I was thinking about unlocking the bootloader, flashing a rom and rooting. But I would end up with nothing better than the Nexus. So I did nothing but put it back in the box, list it on Swappa, sold it, and shipped it.

I found someone who said they would fix the USB connector, so I took it to his shop, he fixed it and I paid him $25 for his trouble even though he didn't charge me for a minute's work.

Even though the purchase and sale cost me some money, I am so pleased to have a renewed appreciation for my Nexus. There isn't a better phone on the market for me. I'm running Nitrogen 8.1 ROM and couldn't be happier.

The other man's grass is always greener.

Last edited:

93zx7

I recently "upgraded" from my N6 to the OP5T 128GB version. My USB charge port is loose as well. I also have some screen burn starting from the bottom of the screen fading up. Mine pretty much needs a complete overall to make it like new again. I mainly use it for gaming. So, after some thorough research I chose the OP5T. I couldn't be more pleased with the OP5T. I did a minimal setup at first just like you did. I tested everything out first before customizing it. I then decided that I liked it enough to proceed with customization. Unlocked BL, rooted, running AICP 13.1 w/ EX Kernel. Dam this thing is lightning fast. Good camera. Excellent battery life. Excellent SOT. Still got to keep the 3.5mm jack. Quick charging with that Dash Charger. I do miss the front-facing speakers.

Onknight

Feb 21, 2012
Burlington
AS I 've said in many threads Phone makers have not made phone as good since
Over Priced and they always missing something
Headphone jacks Dual Speakers 2K Screen no NFC or Wireless changing
why just bought a new Battery Will run my another 2 years.

Ta3miyyasandwich

Apr 19, 2016
Bought it used in late 2017 and can't believe how much I missed out - terrific compared to devices I previously owned such as the mate 7 and note 4, direct ompetitors

2014 was the peak in terms of hardware enhancement for me, you had 1080p screens standardizing after 2013, emphasis on battery life from lots of manufacturers, much more efficient chipsets particularly the 801. Phablets started to become a bit more accessible after the note 3 monopoly. Stock android still had some official love with M8/S5 google play editions. I've traded a lot of phones for AOSP Roms but almost all 2013/2014, perfect combination of hardware and software

After that and the Iphone 6 the competition centered around niche devices emulating it. Additions that are so insignificant and obviously made to entice people away for the Iphone's juicy profit margin. The S9 is the saddest example of this. Its high time someone breaks through with a major innovative product like the N-series days and Iphone.

Sanabil

Oct 27, 2014
Lahore
Agreed!

I've owned this great Nexus 6 since shortly after it was introduced. I've loved it since day 1. Lately I've been having problems with the USB connector. It was loose and the charging cable was constantly falling out. So I figured it was time to move on to a new phone. I hastily ordered a new Pixel 2 XL on Swappa without a second thought... it was was afterall the newest "Nexus".

I anticipated its arrival for a week. When it arrived I opened it up and did just a very minimal setup, just so I could see the settings. I was underwhelmed and immediately realized there was nothing about it that was better than the Nexus.

It had great specs, but nothing that was very exciting. It is said to have a spectacular camera, but that isn't a priority. I was thinking about unlocking the bootloader, flashing a rom and rooting. But I would end up with nothing better than the Nexus. So I did nothing but put it back in the box, list it on Swappa, sold it, and shipped it.

I found someone who said they would fix the USB connector, so I took it to his shop, he fixed it and I paid him $25 for his trouble even though he didn't charge me for a minute's work.

Even though the purchase and sale cost me some money, I am so pleased to have a renewed appreciation for my Nexus. There isn't a better phone on the market for me. I'm running Nitrogen 8.1 ROM and couldn't be happier.

I have Nexus 6 in mint condition I was facing some lag and general slow performance on stock Nougat 7.1. but then I installed Nitrogen OS Oreo 8.1 and boy it's fast!

shabazz18

Dec 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Sorry, but the pixel 2 is miles better than the N6 performance wise. I only returned mine because it had GPS issues otherwise I never would have looked back. The pixel 1 however was only a minor upgrade.

Onknight

Feb 21, 2012
Burlington
Sorry, but the pixel 2 is miles better than the N6 performance wise. I only returned mine because it had GPS issues otherwise I never would have looked back. The pixel 1 however was only a minor upgrade.

Pixel suck here a few reasons why .
No headphone Jack Display Problems Burn-In Concerns 2-Year Warranty
Quality Control Issues at Factory and I could go on
What peace of crap for $1000 CND DOllars + tax

They made nothing better then Nexus 6 yes you lose some speed but the upgrade is not worth a $1000 CND
I like Nexus Program it showed people how phone could made well and not break the bank
The more bells and whistle the higher the Price and less Quality Control
No headphone jack I am sorry I like my headphone Jack
I'll keep this phone atleast 2 more years.

rushier.ivan

Nov 5, 2014
doesn't matter

You had a USB port replacement? Is that even possible? I know soldering is involved, but did you lose fast charging & usb otg capabilities? I'm just wondering. I have a bad usb port as well. :confused:

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

I recently "upgraded" from my N6 to the OP5T 128GB version. My USB charge port is loose as well. I also have some screen burn starting from the bottom of the screen fading up. Mine pretty much needs a complete overall to make it like new again. I mainly use it for gaming. So, after some thorough research I chose the OP5T. I couldn't be more pleased with the OP5T. I did a minimal setup at first just like you did. I tested everything out first before customizing it. I then decided that I liked it enough to proceed with customization. Unlocked BL, rooted, running AICP 13.1 w/ EX Kernel. Dam this thing is lightning fast. Good camera. Excellent battery life. Excellent SOT. Still got to keep the 3.5mm jack. Quick charging with that Dash Charger. I do miss the front-facing speakers.

Exactly what I'm thinking for upgrade. How do you compare the speakers though?

crowsnestitsupport

Sep 16, 2015
Altoona, PA
Just dug out my shamu and flashed the latest linage OS. Still love the phone. It was years ahead of its time! I have had every single Nexus and pixel since and while the camera is vastly improved as is battery life on the pixels, Little else is all that impressive over the good ole shamu. I will say however that my daily drivers are now OnePlus devices, had the 5, 5T and now the 6. Very impressed and like them a lot. Much better replacement choice for the shamu user.. At least if you don't have Verizon...

bolus14

Dec 10, 2012
Kind of in the same dilemma as you guys, I have a Nexus 6 right now and am considering an upgrade when the Pixel 3's come out, I was considering the 3XL, or possibly the 3 but then gave some thought to going with the 2XL and saving a bunch of cash. The 3XL is looking to be at least $1,000 or around $43/month added to my Fi bill, while the 2XL will likely drop significantly in price, possibly around $400 or about $17/month.

My biggest issues with my N6 right now are battery life and the USB port has been problematic for a couple years but I have dealt with it, but it's getting to the point where's it's extremely difficult to get it to recognize the cable being plugged in. So, I got a wireless charger for the house and the car, I think because the curve of the phone they're both a little finicky but I think I have found the "sweet spot" in where to set the phone so they both work, so that helps a lot with the USB port issue. I could spend about $20 and replace the battery and it likely would be very worth it, might do it even if I upgrade the phone just to have a backup or one to play music off of in the garage.

My daily usage mostly consists of a little web browsing, playing music quite a bit,GPS when needed, couple of games when waiting for Dr appointments and stuff like that but not much otherwise. I don't take many pics, just some here and there and would like the speed to be better but for the amount I use it the camera isn't a big selling point to me. With that said what are your thoughts on just getting a new battery, upgrade to the 2XL or one of the 3's when they come out?

xconwayx

Kind of in the same dilemma as you guys, I have a Nexus 6 right now and am considering an upgrade when the Pixel 3's come out, I was considering the 3XL, or possibly the 3 but then gave some thought to going with the 2XL and saving a bunch of cash. The 3XL is looking to be at least $1,000 or around $43/month added to my Fi bill, while the 2XL will likely drop significantly in price, possibly around $400 or about $17/month.

My biggest issues with my N6 right now are battery life and the USB port has been problematic for a couple years but I have dealt with it, but it's getting to the point where's it's extremely difficult to get it to recognize the cable being plugged in. So, I got a wireless charger for the house and the car, I think because the curve of the phone they're both a little finicky but I think I have found the "sweet spot" in where to set the phone so they both work, so that helps a lot with the USB port issue. I could spend about $20 and replace the battery and it likely would be very worth it, might do it even if I upgrade the phone just to have a backup or one to play music off of in the garage.

My daily usage mostly consists of a little web browsing, playing music quite a bit,GPS when needed, couple of games when waiting for Dr appointments and stuff like that but not much otherwise. I don't take many pics, just some here and there and would like the speed to be better but for the amount I use it the camera isn't a big selling point to me. With that said what are your thoughts on just getting a new battery, upgrade to the 2XL or one of the 3's when they come out?

This is where I am at as well. Minus my USB seems to be working. I feel changing the battery would help me out as well. The more reading I do, the more apprehensive I am. I see reports of no change after battery change, or wireless charging no longer works, or cutting the power button cable. I just don't even want to deal with that. I also read that a user took his phone into a battery place and they broke his phone. Ended up giving him $250 for the device. So I am dealing with my Nexus 6. I am also debating on a Pixel XL 2. The Pixel 3 is way out of my price range.

Reactions: duttyend

VarDes

Jun 25, 2011
Sony Xperia 1
ASUS ROG Phone II
This is where I am at as well. Minus my USB seems to be working. I feel changing the battery would help me out as well. The more reading I do, the more apprehensive I am. I see reports of no change after battery change, or wireless charging no longer works, or cutting the power button cable. I just don't even want to deal with that. I also read that a user took his phone into a battery place and they broke his phone. Ended up giving him $250 for the device. So I am dealing with my Nexus 6. I am also debating on a Pixel XL 2. The Pixel 3 is way out of my price range.

I've swapped batteries recently, and I can tell You that only damage You can do is basically when removing backcover, and thats easily avoidable if You're careful. Under the backplate only thing that might get damaged is the volume/power ribbon and it goes from height of volume/power buttons up till around top of the phone. Oh, and the frame can get damaged too, but thats extreme case, since the mid section of the frame (under where the battery and wireless charging coil sits) can survive bending, just something to keep in mind when separating the backcover (If it sticks hard to the cover, just warm it up some more and separate with plastic card/carefully with something made from metal). After the backcover is gone You're basically set :).

Hoantjes

Oct 17, 2015
Looks like a lot of N6 users have this problem with the USB connector. Mine charges only under a certain angle but i'm not buying a new phone :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6 met Tapatalk

bfmetcalf

Looks like a lot of N6 users have this problem with the USB connector. Mine charges only under a certain angle but i'm not buying a new phone :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6 met Tapatalk

I had this issue and thought it was toast. Got a toothpick and whittled it down so it fit around inside the entire port. Cleaned a whole lot of crap out of it and now it charges like it was brand new.

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Phone is still functional with lineageOS for normal activities. youtube and browsing. I still prefer the 16:9 even if it makes the phone wide. The games i play on the n6 vs the pixel xl 2 are sluggish in comparison. I'm about to use it and slap a sprint BYOD sim into it.

thetallguy

Nov 21, 2012
Auckland
I think those complaining about the price of the Pixels are forgetting that the Nexus 6 was very expensive when it came out. Having bought a Nexus 4 previously I was interested in a Nexus 6 but I could not justify the expense to myself. Eventually after the release of the 6P a local store had some remaining 6s and reduced the price to where I could justify buying one. But they were as expensive as flagships of the time.
The same has happened with the Pixel, a couple of months ago the last few new ones on sale locally were reduced and I bought a Pixel XL. I wanted something new, with developer support and with a headphone socket.
But in some ways the Pixel XL is less than a Nexus 6, notably there is no notification LED and the screen is smaller and especially narrower. I am a Linux server admin and one of the things I occasionally do is SSH to a server, and the Pixel XL screen isn't as good for that. Sure it's faster but I don't really need a faster CPU.
The whole trend to make narrower screens and remove useful features like notification LEDs and headphone sockets is making newer smartphones worse. So I hope to keep using the Nexus 6 for a while yet. I bought a wireless charging pad so that I would not wear out the USB socket as quickly. I use double tap to wake in order to not wear out the power/wake button (my Nexus 4 suffers from a power button which now needs a good push to work).

Relyt2012

Aug 20, 2014

Yeah I just purchased a nexus 6 this year, and it had a bad battery. So being I have a little experience in the field of phones, I ordered a battery and I carefully opened it up. - I got it all apart and changed the battery out, when I had finished all worked as intended. It isn't too difficult to do. :good:

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018

I nearly agree. The Nexus 6 was a great phone. Well ahead of its time in many/most respects. In some ways, I did find the pixel2xl a bit of a downgrade, in particular, while both are called a "6 inch", the Nexus 6 is most definitely bigger. Especially its width, which is the most important dimension since width dictates the utility of the on screen keyboard. I found the on screen keyboard on the N6 to be "adequate", and on the P2XL, I find it to be "very challenging". Also the lack of wireless charging.

You mention the camera. To be honest, I can't much tell the difference between the cameras, except that the p2xl is ***FASTER*** and more stable (mostly affects video). The image quality is roughly the same. N6 was way ahead of its time in that respect as well, even throwing in OIS, which wasn't repeated until... P2XL. The P1's EIS makes your brain hurt -- motions are very unnatural on it. The EIS+OIS combination on the P2 really is incredible though.

But the big issue with the N6? No more support from Google, and I just don't have time to keep it up myself, nor the desire to wade through buggy "kitchen sink" system images hacked up by high school kids who want to bloat it out with completely useless and half baked "features". The phone has to actually work reliably, and so from that point of view, it was time to move on. My service provider has also upgraded from HSPA to LTE, but the N6 only supports LTE on a band that they're barely using for LTE.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

I think those complaining about the price of the Pixels are forgetting that the Nexus 6 was very expensive when it came out.
That. $700 for the N6 at launch. That's $750 with 4 years of inflation factored in.

But in some ways the Pixel XL is less than a Nexus 6, notably there is no notification LED
Eh.... you got that backwards. Nexus 6 is the one that didn't ship with a working notification light. Some hacks have partially enabled it, but to my knowledge, nobody ever got the blinking hardware working for it (since the blink function is simply not implemented in the firmware). The pixel's *ALL* have a working notification light, you just have to turn them on, which (unlike N6) you can do from the settings menu.

Settings --> Notifications --> Advanced --> Notifications --> Blink light. At least that is where it is on Android 9.

The whole trend to make narrower screens
Agreed. Wider screen is more useful. Give me a 6" 16x10 and I'll be much happier than the bullpoop 6" on the P2XL.

and remove useful features like notification LEDs
Addressed above. Still there.

and headphone sockets
How is that a useful feature? The last thing I ever would want to do, is fumble around with tangled and probably broken wires when I'm trying to use my phone. Good riddance to the dirt sucking water injection port!

I bought a wireless charging pad.
Miss that.

thetallguy

Nov 21, 2012
Auckland
Eh.... you got that backwards. Nexus 6 is the one that didn't ship with a working notification light. Some hacks have partially enabled it, but to my knowledge, nobody ever got the blinking hardware working for it (since the blink function is simply not implemented in the firmware). The pixel's *ALL* have a working notification light, you just have to turn them on, which (unlike N6) you can do from the settings menu.

Settings --> Notifications --> Advanced --> Notifications --> Blink light. At least that is where it is on Android 9.

How is that a useful feature? The last thing I ever would want to do, is fumble around with tangled and probably broken wires when I'm trying to use my phone. Good riddance to the dirt sucking water injection port!

Yes the N6 LED wasn't enabled in stock firmware, but it is there and works with the LineageOS ROM I have installed.
Thank you for helping with the setting on the Pixel XL. I am amazed that it wasn't set to on when new out of the box. A person would never know it was there.
I think I prefer the steady light over the blink as I know I will see it when I glance at the phone. Yes I know it would use more power.

Both my cars, one 10+ years old and the other 20+ years old don't have bluetooth inputs but do have 3.5mm inputs, so the audio out on the smartphone is useful for music while driving. I use that more often than using headphones. It is more expensive to replace the car stereo or the whole car than finding a smartphone with a 3.5mm socket. Also I sometimes plug in one of the sets of computer speakers I have lying around. I don't need to go out and spend more money on the silly bluetooth speakers which are mostly not even in stereo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pixel suck here a few reasons why .
    No headphone Jack Display Problems Burn-In Concerns 2-Year Warranty
    Quality Control Issues at Factory and I could go on
    What peace of crap for $1000 CND DOllars + tax

They made nothing better then Nexus 6 yes you lose some speed but the upgrade is not worth a $1000 CND
    I like Nexus Program it showed people how phone could made well and not break the bank
    The more bells and whistle the higher the Price and less Quality Control
    No headphone jack I am sorry I like my headphone Jack
    I'll keep this phone atleast 2 more years.
    Nexus 6 was one phone done right. Even today it still looks pretty awesome.
    Bought it used in late 2017 and can't believe how much I missed out - terrific compared to devices I previously owned such as the mate 7 and note 4, direct ompetitors

2014 was the peak in terms of hardware enhancement for me, you had 1080p screens standardizing after 2013, emphasis on battery life from lots of manufacturers, much more efficient chipsets particularly the 801. Phablets started to become a bit more accessible after the note 3 monopoly. Stock android still had some official love with M8/S5 google play editions. I've traded a lot of phones for AOSP Roms but almost all 2013/2014, perfect combination of hardware and software

After that and the Iphone 6 the competition centered around niche devices emulating it. Additions that are so insignificant and obviously made to entice people away for the Iphone's juicy profit margin. The S9 is the saddest example of this. Its high time someone breaks through with a major innovative product like the N-series days and Iphone.