[UPDATED][GUIDE] UNLOCK/RELOCK BOOTLOADER UNOFFICIALLY FOR ZenFone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Saktis_STi

Jan 27, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
Make sure you’ve backed up all of your IMPORTANT DATA before unlocking/relocking bootloader because this process WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT DATA !

I am not responsible for bricked devices and dead SD cards. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This process will not void the device warranty & you will get OTAs

First and foremost, please install ZenFone 3 Drivers via Device Manager (Download drivers on ASUS Support Website)

1) Download the Factory RAW ROM here:

ZE520KL:

ZE552KL:

2) Download ASUS Flash Tool here:

3) Flash the firmware via ASUS Flash Tool by entering FASTBOOT MODE (Power Button + Volume Up) & DO NOT WIPE DATA!

Note: This firmware can only boot into FASTBOOT Mode. So, don’t panic

Note: If you flash RAW firmware via ASUS Flash Tool and received an error (FRP request error), just IGNORE the error.

4) Download Bootloader Kit for ZenFone 3 here:

5) Enter FASTBOOT mode (Power Off + Volume Up)

UNLOCKING

6) Unzip the files and click on Install adb-setup-1.4.3.exe (You can find this in Bootloader Kit)

• Hold Shift and Right Click on any area in the folder (click on ”Open Powershell window/Open Command Window)
  • Now copy and paste this: fastboot devices
  • If it shows serial number of your ZenFone 3, you are good to go
  • Now copy and paste this: fastboot oem unlock
  • After that, copy and paste this: fastboot reboot bootloader

Congratulations, your device has been unlocked unofficially. (You can see the "Device State" on FASTBOOT splash screen)

RELOCKING

6) Unzip the files and click on Install adb-setup-1.4.3.exe (You can find this in Bootloader Toolkit)

• Hold Shift and Right Click on any area in the folder (click on ”Open Powershell window/Open Command Window)
  • Now copy and paste this: fastboot oem lock

Congratulations, your device has been locked (You can see the "Device State" on FASTBOOT splash screen)

P.S: If you unlocked officially and you want to relock your bootloader, OTA does not work because your Serial Number has been recorded by ASUS.

7) After that, download the stock Oreo RAW ROM here and flash it via ASUS Flash Tool (FASTBOOT Mode) (DO NOT WIPE DATA):

ZE520KL:

ZE552KL:

If anything, contact me via Telegram
MOD EDIT: LINK REMOVED
The distribution of social media links is no longer allowed on XDA. Please refer to the thread linked below:
Telegram and Whatsapp Channels - Going Forward

Note: If you flash RAW firmware via ASUS Flash Tool and received an error (FRP request error), just IGNORE the error.

Note: If it asks for PIN after booting up, just wipe data & cache via Recovery Mode (Power Button + Volume Down).

Last edited by a moderator:

AnAn.

Oct 27, 2017
How to delete the start message in Zenfone 3 ZE552KL after officially unlocking Bootloader?

bibihub

Oct 12, 2012
Ok so this time it worked ! Thanks @ZenFone_3
Now I'm on the latest oreo update (1801) with bootloader unlocked.
But no twrp yet. For some reason the flashing process of the twrp img finishes, but it is still the stock recovery that boots. I tried multiple times and downloaded the twrp img again but no luck. I'll try to figure that out.

gio14

Sep 6, 2010
hi i get this error

khDe0n
can open file gzya etc. and wont continue to flash

Last edited:

kuranzi

Dec 10, 2015
Padang
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Make sure you’ve backed up all of your IMPORTANT DATA before unlocking/relocking bootloader because this process WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT DATA !

I am not responsible for bricked devices and dead SD cards. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

This process will not void the device warranty & you will get OTAs

First and foremost, please install ZenFone 3 Drivers via Device Manager (Download drivers on ASUS Support Website)

1) Download the Factory RAW ROM here:

ZE520KL:

ZE552KL:

2) Download ASUS Flash Tool here:

3) Flash the firmware via ASUS Flash Tool by entering FASTBOOT MODE (Power Button + Volume Up) & DO NOT WIPE DATA!

Note: This firmware can only boot into FASTBOOT Mode. So, don’t panic

4) Download Bootloader Kit for ZenFone 3 here:

5) Enter FASTBOOT mode (Power Off + Volume Up)

UNLOCKING

6) Unzip the files and click on Install adb-setup-1.4.3.exe (You can find this in Bootloader Kit)

• Now copy and paste this: fastboot oem unlock

Congratulations, your device has been unlocked unofficially. (You can see the "Device State" on FASTBOOT splash screen)

RELOCKING

6) Unzip the files and click on Install adb-setup-1.4.3.exe (You can find this in Bootloader Toolkit)

• Now copy and paste this: fastboot oem lock

Congratulations, your device has been locked (You can see the "Device State" on FASTBOOT splash screen)

P.S: If you unlocked officially and you want to relock your bootloader, OTA does not work because your Serial Number has been recorded by ASUS.

7) After that, download the stock Oreo RAW ROM here and flash it via ASUS Flash Tool (FASTBOOT Mode) (DO NOT WIPE DATA):

ZE520KL:

ZE552KL:

If anything, contact me via Telegram
    MOD EDIT: LINK REMOVED
    The distribution of social media links is no longer allowed on XDA. Please refer to the thread linked below:
    Telegram and Whatsapp Channels - Going Forward

Note: If it asks for PIN after booting up, just wipe data & cache via Recovery Mode (Power Button + Volume Down).
    Oreo RAW firmware has been updated to WW_15.0410.1806.68. :)
    Thank you.

I can get that right off the asus website downloads under Firmware, correct? Just have to match the first two characters to have the right version for my phone?

1) Download and install ASUS Flash Tool :

2) Download Latest Oreo RAW

ZE520KL:

ZE552KL:

3) Enter Fastboot Mode (Power + Volume Up)

4) Open ASUS Flash Tool

5) Select device & select firmware

6) Connect phone to PC

7) Hit Start and wait 10-15 minutes (ignore the error 5)

P.S: Please back up all of your important data before flashing.

MOD EDIT: PAY-PER-CLICK LINKS REMOVED
    If I do this unlocking method I'm gona keep my warranty if I have any issue and need to relock to send to the Asus? Or It can be detected?
    Just relock and send it to service centre. ASUS won't know ;)
    If I have flashed TWRP and a custom rom over it after that if I want to go to stock rom and recovery and relock the boot loader how can I do that and avoid boot loops. is it possible by following the above method.
    Just follow all the steps.

Your device will be relocked and it will run on Stock ROM.