[Guide] GSM unlock for Sprint LG G5

Search This thread

Aggrobober

Feb 6, 2018
Friends, excuse me for my English. Help me please. I have an LG L5 ls992zve phone. Version android 7.0. Tell me whether this method of unlocking is suitable for me? I downloaded this program, but I do not have such items. Do I need the right root to do this?

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Friends, excuse me for my English. Help me please. I have an LG L5 ls992zve phone. Version android 7.0. Tell me whether this method of unlocking is suitable for me? I downloaded this program, but I do not have such items. Do I need the right root to do this?

I’d suggest you read previous posts. You’ll have to buy a remote unlock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Remote means they unlock our from another place, aka their PC. I wish I knew, so I could be making some money too. It unlocks the phone so you can use it on another network (not exactly sure what you mean on the last question).

IWSJX5e.jpg

Zx3 box or octoplus both work well

mumtaz64

Jul 5, 2009
Constantine
Unlocking the LG G5 Sprint model!

First and foremost thank @vittger over in this thread where the method was posted - HERE

Reason I am making this Guide/post is it seems like even though its been posted, theres not a thread for it and some miss the actual method of doing it.

I haven't tested or seen it tested on any OS below Android 7.0 so it may not work unless you've updated.

1. Download this APK - HERE
2.Install the APK
3 Open the App
4. Scroll down & Select IOT(CDG2)
5.Select LTE setting,Select Operation Mode, Then Select Lab Network
6. Device will reboot, Then go back to step 3,4, and 5, and the option Band25 make sure its enabled. scroll down to LTE Data roam config, and enable all the bands towards the bottom in that menu as well.
7. Go back to the Hidden menu APK main menu, ModemProtocol, RAT Selection, then choose GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto
8. Reboot and you should be good to go!
9. You now have you Sprint LG G5 LS992 GSM unlocked for both US and international GSM carriers :)

To Add your APN (for data):
Go to, The hidden menu APK, IOT(CDG2), LTE Settings,
APN settings and then add your APN for your carrier

Remember you'll need to set APN type to "default" and
authentication type to "None" or else it wont work

Tested and working with AT&T 3G/HSPA,4G/LTE And T-Mobile
2G/4G/LTE working perfectly fine in the USA. Also tested with a GiffGaff UK sim roaming in the US.

This method also works with the LG V20 and LG Tribute HD so it may work on other LG devices.

Having an issue with it stop working?
Disable your screen lock. No password/swipe to unlock/fingerprints - Having a password seems to be an issue with this method.

Here's a quick YouTube video I made,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10k8I5sDtuQ

Thanks for this guide but somehow when i launch the app the only options I have are :
- LG Hidden menu
- AATest
- Version: 1.7

When I click on LG Hidden menu I only get:
- Device Tst
- ELT Test
- SVC Menu
- Field Test

I browsed all menus but can't find the IOT(CDG2).

Can someone help me on this please?

PS..:
Im on Android 7.0

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Can you let me know how can I remotely unlock the sim as I received invalid sim and how to add apn in LS 992 ZVE.

THANK YOU

There are plenty of posts above yours explaining it :p

eBay is about the best place. You have to buy them but it’s mever recommended using the phone on anything other than Sprint anyway.

Redtinna

Feb 25, 2018
There are plenty of posts above yours explaining it :p

eBay is about the best place. You have to buy them but it’s mever recommended using the phone on anything other than Sprint anyway.
Thank you for fast reply....

I have tried eBay but not succeeded as they said, we are unable to do so........Can you give me a solution for which I can unlock sim card and add apn.

tonochito

Oct 5, 2012
Panama
So suddenly i ordered a remote unlock on eBay around 6 months ago, i can't remember but anyway it worked but i could receive data but coulnd't send data, a guy posted here that using hidden menu and selectin ATT_NAO data worked perfectly, i had around a month that i stopped using the G5 and began to use a Droid Z Force, so today i decided to use again the G5 and decided to mess with the hidden menu, and guess what i lose signal again. So i decided to restore it and suddenly i received an update of security patch from january. But then again i had to "unlock" it using hidden menu, i received a couple of calls during my way to the work, and when i took my phone out of my pocket i had no signal and the icon with no sim, but in the hidden menu i can see that the sim card is recognized.

Weird part is that previously i did factory reset a couple of times and the sim card worked with no issues, right away data and calls. But now again randonmly it seems to be locked???

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
So suddenly i ordered a remote unlock on eBay around 6 months ago, i can't remember but anyway it worked but i could receive data but coulnd't send data, a guy posted here that using hidden menu and selectin ATT_NAO data worked perfectly, i had around a month that i stopped using the G5 and began to use a Droid Z Force, so today i decided to use again the G5 and decided to mess with the hidden menu, and guess what i lose signal again. So i decided to restore it and suddenly i received an update of security patch from january. But then again i had to "unlock" it using hidden menu, i received a couple of calls during my way to the work, and when i took my phone out of my pocket i had no signal and the icon with no sim, but in the hidden menu i can see that the sim card is recognized.

Weird part is that previously i did factory reset a couple of times and the sim card worked with no issues, right away data and calls. But now again randonmly it seems to be locked???

That’s the joys of trying to use a sprint device not on sprint.. if you updated this hidden menu wont ever work again. And if it somewhat worked that’s due to the remote unlock somehow still sticking.

Reactions: Redtinna

Redtinna

Feb 25, 2018
That’s the joys of trying to use a sprint device not on sprint.. if you updated this hidden menu wont ever work again. And if it somewhat worked that’s due to the remote unlock somehow still sticking.
I have received new update for LG G5 LS992 ZVE to ZVF...... my sim is still at invalid status,,,,,, Here I want to ask you if I update it can I unlock my sim or edit apn or still struck up with invalid sim.... I also attached screen shot.

Please reply rather download this update or not?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-09-11-03-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-03-09-11-03-16.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot_2018-03-09-11-06-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-03-09-11-06-49.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 206

777Nalsur777

Jan 17, 2015
Guys, for those people who can not access to sending data via mobile network AFTER sim unlock from SPRINT, here is a solution:
1) go to the hidden menu by typing 5689#*992#
2) go to Field Test section
3) go to NAO Test
In the NAOT section of the menu choose ATT test mode. After reboot, it will be working!!!

HERE is a YouTube link if the video is not working properly:
[/COLOR]https://youtu.be/KjQggW2Xazg

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Does enyone unlocked from Sprint have been updated to ZVF ?
Any comments with mobile services working?

Last edited:
Reactions: donbasio

Dat vu

Mar 5, 2018
I want to try to downgrade to zv8 from zve by using zv8. tot file . Can it work ? .i know one guy who downgrade from zvc to zv8 with tot file . I don't want my phone become brick

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocking the LG G5 Sprint model!

First and foremost thank @vittger over in this thread where the method was posted - HERE

Reason I am making this Guide/post is it seems like even though its been posted, theres not a thread for it and some miss the actual method of doing it.

I haven't tested or seen it tested on any OS below Android 7.0 so it may not work unless you've updated.

1. Download this APK - HERE
    2.Install the APK
    3 Open the App
    4. Scroll down & Select IOT(CDG2)
    5.Select LTE setting,Select Operation Mode, Then Select Lab Network
    6. Device will reboot, Then go back to step 3,4, and 5, and the option Band25 make sure its enabled. scroll down to LTE Data roam config, and enable all the bands towards the bottom in that menu as well.
    7. Go back to the Hidden menu APK main menu, ModemProtocol, RAT Selection, then choose GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto
    8. Reboot and you should be good to go!
    9. You now have you Sprint LG G5 LS992 GSM unlocked for both US and international GSM carriers :)

To Add your APN (for data):
    Go to, The hidden menu APK, IOT(CDG2), LTE Settings,
    APN settings and then add your APN for your carrier

Remember you'll need to set APN type to "default" and
    authentication type to "None" or else it wont work

Tested and working with AT&T 3G/HSPA,4G/LTE And T-Mobile
    2G/4G/LTE working perfectly fine in the USA. Also tested with a GiffGaff UK sim roaming in the US.

This method also works with the LG V20 and LG Tribute HD so it may work on other LG devices.

Having an issue with it stop working?
    Disable your screen lock. No password/swipe to unlock/fingerprints - Having a password seems to be an issue with this method.

Here's a quick YouTube video I made,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10k8I5sDtuQ
    Hey guys, I just found this out: Don't set up a phone lock (in my case I had pin lock when phone turned on and a screen lock) I removed pin lock and now I can shut down the phone and/or take the battery out and I don't lose SIM configuration.

Thanks for sharing this, I tested and confirmed this.

To clarify, the "normal" screen locks under Settings > Lock Screen > Select Screen Lock all work fine. I've been using a PIN lock with fingerprints on the standard lock screen this whole time.

This "other" PIN screen lock causing this whole mess is the "Secure Start-Up" option under Settings > Fingerprints & Security > Encryption. If enabled, the phone requires a PIN before booting parts of the OS with more security sensitive features and data. This includes any enabled accessibility services, ADB debugging, and - apparently - the SIM configuration.

Using Secure Start-Up with a non-Sprint SIM actually gave me a "No SIM card" error even after entering PIN and allowing the OS to settle for a couple of minutes. Without fiddling with the SIM tray at all, I disabled Secure Start-Up and rebooted to my standard lock screen, and all my SIM configurations through this method reappeared and worked fine as before.

This "Secure Start-Up" is also known as "File Based Encryption (FBE)" and is new to Android starting with Nougat 7.0. You can learn more about its details here: https://yourtechexplained.com/2016/12/08/explained-android-nougat-file-based-encryption/

Since it interferes with this SIM unlock method, I'd recommend disabling Secure Start-Up and using the standard lock screen options in conjunction with other security measures such as Google's Device Manager instead.
    Im currently on ZVA for the G5. Today i received an update notification (110.4mb). Anyone know if its safe to update past ZVA ?

I bit the bullet and installed it and I'm happy to report that there are no problems at all! I didn't have to completely re-do the unlock setting but I did have to re-enter the APN settings. Other than that small inconvenience everything's fine.

EDIT: I did the update on my wife's phone as well. Again no problems, and I didn't even have to re-enter the APN settings on hers.
    Alright so this has been a minute. However this is not an unlock i hate bringing this up but if your factory reset the phone you have to try and reconfigure everything.

Second LTE bands and HSPA+are not the same. Do a speed test and you will find that out. This is more or less a configuration using LAB/Diag mode. Now some issues you will run into specific to the G5 and using this methond. Not receiving full 4g lte. Picturemail issues taking along time to send and also not being able to download Picture mail. MSL code is needed for this which if you haggle sprint you could get there are other methods of doing so. You also will not be able to use this method to hook it up on another CDMA carrier That will cause it to roam, data to not work, and poor reception. The phone has an EE lock for all bands except the bands Sprint supports. Now what your doing with this method is using the GSM Roaming bands that spint uses in case you need to roam because sprint towers aren't available. The GSM roaming bands are not LTE, they are low spectrum 4G/ 3G /2G This works i guess but keep in mind your service will not be as good , and will not work as well as it should . It is actually relatively cheap to unlock your phone so you dont have to deal with this method of "working around" the lock. If you have questions please feel free to PM ME i am a Lvl 3 Tech so we deal with this on a daily basis

We already know all of this :). The Sprint model can't be "unlocked" like a normal gsm device.

I have no problems getting LTE on both T-Mobile and AT&T when I was testing this. Along with others from the US. Of course some areas might be affected BUT a that's a limitation of the phone. But my 7 hour drive up the east coast was 99% LTE. I was pulling an average of 30-40mbps on AT&T LTE. That's defiantly not HSPA+. And doing a remote unlock will not allow more bands than this method.

I never recommend buying a cdma device for use on a GSM carrier. But people still do or have no other choice. Or some get them really cheap.

And there's no official unlock for any cdma device. There's a remote unlock that can be bought from some but still it's not a real full unlock.
    No one said this was an unlock to make it work on another CDMA provider.

You can't complain about a free method to make the phone work. Most users that use this method usually outside of the USA due to unknowingly buying this model.

Not really anything we didn't already know, mainly a confirmation that updating past ZVA is a BAD, BAD, STUPID IDEA if you want to keep your phone unlocked.

Make sure to turn on Developer Options and turn off Automatic System Updates, kids!

Fixed that for you, "past ZVA" as ZVB is the culprit here.
    EDIT: I read it wrong, you are absolutely correct. ZVB is the last safe build for GSM Unlock.

The bulletin is causing some odd formatting if I quote it; the details can be found here:
    https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

The description explicitly states now it is patching features previously accessible through the hidden menus this guide exposes.

So far on ZVB my HiddenmenuCall app still opens fine and all settings from the GSM unlock guide are configurable. I believe there is a security issue elsewhere in the hidden menus LG wanted to address, but I wouldn't put it past them to target the unlock method itself as they already took the OP's video down from YouTube. Will report if find anything different.

As a side note, any here that do NOT accept the July security update when it comes may have a real shot at a root method in the form of BroadPwn exploit, if and when a safe root method based on it is made public.