[ROM] ► [9.0.0_r42] ► [shamu] ► Nitrogen OS Pie ► Substratum ► (06.June.2019)

Search This thread

rfactor117

Nov 29, 2012
Altona, Manitoba
Nexus 6
Nexus 9
EX doesn't make previous kernel versions available and I wasn't lucky enough to keep the 5.09 zip.

However, I did try PureZ kernel and it fixed the recording issue.

It is a problem with the rom's stock kernel (and 7.1's stock kernel, and Franco kernel in 7.1)

What would be causing this? I can try to help you fix it if you want to.

I see this post of yours in Pure Z kernel thread. So were you able to flash and boot fine with the kernel or not? :confused:

Nitin

Yes I was able to download Pure Z Kernel and install no problem...BUT this kernel has forced encryption.

https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/devel...el-n6-v2-0-purezandroid-t3637808/post75864626

https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/devel...el-n6-v2-0-purezandroid-t3637808/post75864665

So beware.. this will brick your phone, it will ask you for the password to access the SD Card and no one knows what the password is.

I know there are alot of users that are happy to willy nilly flash this and flash that espessially when it comes to kernels.

So unless you are preparred for a world of hurt... " Don't try to fix what is not broken"

Hope this helps ☺

Last edited:

xNotta

Aug 4, 2010
I see this post of yours in Pure Z kernel thread. So were you able to flash and boot fine with the kernel or not? :confused:

Nitin

PureZ flashed fine and fixed my video recording issue but the kernel Forced Encryption; resulting in the loss of my /data, including my SDCard (/data/media)
PureZ forces Encryption.

The OP of PureZ says it does not force encryption, but it does. Honestly, I wouldn't build Nitrogen OS with PureZ, it seems the developer is kind of flaky.

I am positive @ZawZaw had good intentions and it was an accident but if they are going to overlook something major like forced encryption that will brick user's /data partition, I am going to be very cautious in believing anything else he says or develops. What makes it even worse it that they dev is aware of the problem now and hasn't fixed it and hasn't pulled the bad build.
ZawZaw lost my trust.

It's pretty easy to flash the dm-verity and opt force encrypt after the kernel, but I trusted ZawZaw's OP and got locked out of my /data.

Luckily, I came over from a factory restore, so my internals were already wiped and I didn't losing much more than time.

I am back on Nougat and won't be trying Oreo again for a while unless you really need me to.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0010

The default password for that kernel or any ROM with forced encryption is whatever your last or current password or pattern is.

rfactor117

Nov 29, 2012
Altona, Manitoba
Nexus 6
Nexus 9
It has worked for me on numerous ROMs and that kernel.an older build though.. Maybe different now. I've never lost anything

I didn't loose anything never have never will, what I'm saying is unless you know what the default password is you cannot get to your SD card... Because it's Encrypted...

This has been a issue since 8.0 came out, I don't know why or if it's only on 32bit phones but encryption is a problem.

Reactions: nitin.chobhe

nitin.chobhe

Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2013
India
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
PureZ flashed fine and fixed my video recording issue but the kernel Forced Encryption; resulting in the loss of my /data, including my SDCard (/data/media)
PureZ forces Encryption.

The OP of PureZ says it does not force encryption, but it does. Honestly, I wouldn't build Nitrogen OS with PureZ, it seems the developer is kind of flaky.

I am positive @ZawZaw had good intentions and it was an accident but if they are going to overlook something major like forced encryption that will brick user's /data partition, I am going to be very cautious in believing anything else he says or develops. What makes it even worse it that they dev is aware of the problem now and hasn't fixed it and hasn't pulled the bad build.
ZawZaw lost my trust.

It's pretty easy to flash the dm-verity and opt force encrypt after the kernel, but I trusted ZawZaw's OP and got locked out of my /data.

Luckily, I came over from a factory restore, so my internals were already wiped and I didn't losing much more than time.

I am back on Nougat and won't be trying Oreo again for a while unless you really need me to.
You should have mentioned about encryption in your post. Can you update your post (the one that I quoted earlier) with the hassle you faced?

Nitin

hdoraemonk

Mar 26, 2012
Ha Noi
At 8/3 ver. My device is very hot (90*C temp CPU) then drain battery very fast when i play music with bluetooth connection (i use Pi music player).

xNotta

Aug 4, 2010
You should have mentioned about encryption in your post. Can you update your post (the one that I quoted earlier) with the hassle you faced?

Nitin

I did a quick run through of my experience with the PureZ encryption mess. It's added to my older post that you quoted.

https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/devel...n-substratum-11-10-2016-t3478365/post75858570

Is that the kind of thing you wanted me to do?

I bought a galaxy s, so my days with my Shamu are numbered.

But good side of that is, I can use my Nexus 6 as an experiment device since it won't be my daily driver and maybe I can even step into developing some stuff for the xda community.

nguyenanhtoan93

Mar 13, 2018
i have flashed this rom for a few days but recently i have experienced some randomly reboot and battery drain, what should i do? plz help!

rfactor117

Nov 29, 2012
Altona, Manitoba
Nexus 6
Nexus 9
i have flashed this rom for a few days but recently i have experienced some randomly reboot and battery drain, what should i do? plz help!

You may start with a flash of pico-gapps. Opengapps removes obsolete apps. What you miss after Pico flash, can be reinstalled from the play store.

No more random reboots for me. Thank you, Nitin :)

Same here. Switching from mini to nano gaps did the trick for me.

Really good to hear. ?

Just like @NLBeev mentioned you can add from the play store

All testing has been done with open gapps nano.

I have never had reboots.

Feb 19, 2017
Örebro
Flashed this ROM and I'm really enjoying it. Good performance and battery life plus all the Oreo goodness. Migrated to nitrogen from lineage 14.1. Cheers developers and keep up the great work! :) :good:

Reactions: nitin.chobhe

Dhalsim43

Dec 14, 2016
You may start with a flash of pico-gapps. Opengapps removes obsolete apps. What you miss after Pico flash, can be reinstalled from the play store.
Yes but it will use user storage (data partition) instead of system partition, some apps wont be available or wont work properly when not installed on system partition and/or will be redondant with aosp ones (pixel launcher, google phone...) that's why I prefer stock open gapps when it's working well with the rom ( with LOS 14.1 for exemple)

Top Liked Posts