Moto Z Android Oreo Update Available -Channels- (screenshots)

Search This thread

Meia

Feb 19, 2009
thanks. my question now is how to go stock :eek:
strarting from this file: GRIFFIN_NPLS26.118-20-5-11_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml
should I follow this procedure
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75965029&postcount=5
or this one
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74915937&postcount=50&nocache=1

is there any risk of brick?

sorry for my continuous asking but I read a lot of threads but my ideas are a little confused :eek:

This one won't take you there because it won't lock the bootloader.

Think the second link that you posted should be OK.

Before trying I'd read that whole thread just to make sure there are no steps missing....

And unfortunately YES, there is a risk of hardbrick for sure, you're writing directly to the phone memory, if you get a corrupt file while downloading or your pc goes off during this process, it's a sure one...

Otherwise you should be fine but no one can guarantee you that, all we do via "unusual" methods like adb and fastboot is on our own risk...

Reactions: fazzula

calinorg

thanks. my question now is how to go stock :eek:
strarting from this file: GRIFFIN_NPLS26.118-20-5-11_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml
should I follow this procedure
or this one
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74915937&postcount=50&nocache=1

is there any risk of brick?

sorry for my continuous asking but I read a lot of threads but my ideas are a little confused :eek:
you'll have to start with an update that's higher than your current bootloader and go step by step from there. It's a very very risky process, because if you flash lower version bootloader you'll end up with a brick, and since Motorola was always very heavy about bootloader downgrades and has some measures against it, I wouldn't recommend it before you read and read and re-read everything few times. I had a few hardbricks myself with Moto phones over the years, and one of them was rip :/
Heck, I wouldn't recommend anyone to flash custom anything on Moto phones because Motorola doesn't give full images, just incremental otas. You still have your first TWRP backup after unlocking? Restore it than go from there (I'd flash stock recovery of that bootloader version first, but it could be very hard to find, especially if you flashed TWRP rather than using fastboot boot method)

Reactions: fazzula and Meia

fazzula

Oct 2, 2015
Thanks Meia and Calinorg
unfortunately I flashed twrp without first booting it to make a backup
I think that GRIFFIN_NPLS26.118-20-5-11_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml is the same stock rom that was installed on my Moto Z before I started to go custom
I think I'll try to go with this procedure, https://xdaforums.com/sho...t=50&nocache=1, using the above file, taking my time to re-read the thread and asking directly to guys in the thread that seem to succeded

I'll post the result here, I think some day of next week or the following

tasar

Mar 17, 2007
I flash this version via sideload but now i cant root with magisk 16.x. After flash, it hangs in "not trusted" screen. Any solution?

Davidalex56

Mar 24, 2018
Developers options

Hello, does anyone know why the developer options do not work well in the OTA of Oreo? The options section for Bluetooth are not kept selected, any solution?:confused:

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
will the minimal adb and fastboot tool work for flashing or do i need to download anything else. Also incase it fails how can i restore to reteu december 7.1.1?

Last edited:
Reactions: Loverj

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
Delete/edit : My phone doesnt appear while running adb devices when in boot options which drivers do i need?. After selecting apply update from adb it shows my phone as sideload option with adb devices and when i go to sideload it went to 5% and said adb: Failed to read command : No error and the phone just turned off . what can i do? My device booted normally afterwards. I used the platform tools sdk linked a few pages back. Error here

Last edited:

Loverj

Jan 6, 2013
Delete/edit : My phone doesnt appear while running adb devices when in boot options which drivers do i need?. After selecting apply update from adb it shows my phone as sideload option with adb devices and when i go to sideload it went to 5% and said adb: Failed to read command : No error and the phone just turned off . what can i do? My device booted normally afterwards. I used the platform tools sdk linked a few pages back. Error here

Download a fress file of ota file on pc (file download in ones time without internet failure) and rename ota.zip and also check ..file is currupt (unzip via winrar or any compress software without any issues). then
again try... i m sure you did not get any errors

here is complete process.. I used this process with Platform tools (for adb side load) https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeHat
[*]Download the Android Oreo 8.0.0 OTA from the "Moto Z Android Oreo Update Available -Soak Test- (screenshot)" thread, post #182. If the filename only consists of many random letters, rename it to ota.zip and check with an archiving program if you're able to open that zip file.
[*]Now boot into bootloader and select "Recovery Mode" from the available options.
[*]After some seconds an android icon with the text "No Command" appears. To continue press and hold Power, and at the same time press Volume Up once. Release both buttons after the boot options appear.
[*]Connect your device to the PC and make sure it's listed under ADB with

Code:
adb devices
[*]Select "Apply update from ADB" and push the downloaded ota.zip to the device with
Code:
adb sideload ota.zip
[*]After the update has finished (takes some time), select "Wipe cache partition" to wipe the cache.
[*]Finally select "Reboot system now"

Last edited:

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
Download a fress file of ota file on pc (file download in ones time without internet failure) and rename ota.zip and also check ..file is currupt (unzip via winrar or any compress software without any issues). then
again try... i m sure you did not get any errors

here is complete process.. I used this process with Platform tools (for adb side load) https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeHat
Now boot into bootloader and select "Recovery Mode" from the available options.
Connect your device to the PC and make sure it's listed under ADB with

Code:
adb devices
After the update has finished (takes some time), select "Wipe cache partition" to wipe the cache.
[*]Finally select "Reboot system now"
The file was downloaded correctly and I checked it several times that it was ok . Even the md5 checksums matched. The thing is when I downloaded it it wasn't in any format and then I renamed to ota.zip and it could read and unzip normally don't know if this was an issue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moto Z Android Oreo Update is Available on below mentioned channels:
    -bwaca
    -reteu
    -retmx
    -retca
    -retla
    -rcica
    -retin

Take a look at the screenshots, Cheers ?
    Alright, my second Moto Z (Stock 7.1.1 NPLS26.118-20-5-11) received the RETIN ota, and I have compared the MD5 and SHA1 hashes of both the files - RETIN OTA downloaded from @erfanoabdi 's tool - link's here - and the RETBR OTA that someone had shared in Google Drive. Here's the output:
    MD5_SHA1.jpg

As you can see the RETBR OTA and RETIN OTA files are exactly the same.

Finally, here's how the bootloader of my stock RETIN Moto Z looked like with 7.1.1 + Dec '17 Security Update (NPLS26.118-20-5-11)
    Stock_RETIN_Nougat.jpg

And the same phone's bootloader after Oreo OTA
    Stock_RETIN_Oreo_OTA.jpg

Finally, here is the bootloader of my other Moto Z that I sideloaded with the RETBR OTA
    Sideload_RETBR_in_RETIN.jpg

I hope this puts to rest the discussion on what happens to those who sideloaded RETBR OTA on their non-RETBR devices. Both the OTA files are the same, the bootloaders show sheridan in stock RETIN Nougat, and continues to show sheridan after the stock RETIN Oreo OTA, as well as with sideloaded RETBR OTA on RETIN device.

Finally, if anyone needs to start afresh, here is the link to download the complete RSD Lite flashable Oreo ROM. This should work with most versions except RETCN- but to be on the safer side, make sure you have a backup of the phone and know how to recover if things go south. And flashing the full ROM will ERASE ALL DATA FROM THE PHONE. I have flashed this on my RETIN device, no probs.
    This site is not reliable.
    If you see for Moto Z2 Force, on the source they wrote:
    "Project Treble will not be included with the Oreo update on the Z² Force."

And Huawei I don't think, because if don't update to Oreo the Huawei P9 D:, nevermind the other to Project Treble, Honor only because Honor 8 Pro have few month of life.

i'm not sure about rest of the phones but about moto z2 force (nash) it's true
    they updated to oreo without treble
    basic requirement of treble is vendor partition and z2 doesn't have it :(
    but it has large oem partition

these days i started working on lineage for nash and i can say because of large oem partition in nash we can enable treble on custom roms for it
    probably one day i will do this :D
    If you care so much about updates, why Samsung?

I'm not upset just because of oreo, It's the terrible battery ( my Z just completely discharged in 4h with only 30m of SOT and no apps installed since I factery reset it yesterday ), and the phone has only 7 months of usage. The camera lens is heavily scratched, the display has severe burn in, the fingerprint scanner is also moderately scratched but thankfuly still works fine. The device heats up like crazy with low brightness and the underclocked variant of the SD820 (1.8Ghz). I got some random reboots now and then. My phone shuts off randomly with 30%+ battery sometimes and says it has no juice left, but as soon as I plug in the charger it starts from where it originally was. Since the device get's hot quite fast, the UI starts lagging due to throttling. Motorola here in Brazil advertises the phone as customizable (Moto Style Shells), it even comes with all style shell images on the box, but doesn't sell them anywhere in the country since May or June/2017 and I only found it out after I bought the phone. Naiive me trusting them instead of searching first. The Moto Mods are almost the price of the phone itself and are always unavailable at their website, you can check it out yourself: https://www.motorola.com.br/moto-snaps (No Style Shells and from the few mods that they sell here, most are unavailable).

It has just been an awful experience all around, and the faster update cycle was what the only thing that kept me going for Moto. But even Samsung, which has always been the last one to deliver android updates, is managing to release stable versions of Oreo sooner than moto with much more customization and features baked in.

I went from Sony to Motorola to begin with, since I was fed up with Sony when they burried the Xperia S less than 6 months after it launched. So i'm not going back to Sony. I'm not fond of LG's UI. HTC doesn't sell devices here. Neither does Huawei, OnePlus, OPPO, or Xiaomi. Pixel devices are also not available here. So it's either Samsung or Apple. Since I had a great experience back in 2012 with the Galaxy S2, I'll give samsung another try. Updates are not that important to me if the phone is well built and behaves well, which is not the case with my particular Moto Z. I know quite a few people using the S8/S8+ and they all love it, so why not? They all get 5-6h SOT and I'm here struggling to get 1h. :D

I'll be sending my Z for a battery replacement under warranty, then after the S9 arrives I'll be selling it real cheap just to get rid of it.

/EDIT

For those who might think I'm blowing things out of proportion or making things look worse than they actually is, here are some pictures: